Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Octavia - Metronome

SgtCapricorn

Hi!

I've been playing Octavia for a while now, and I am a big fan of how her abilities match her music. The only problem I see with her is the Metronome ability.

I love the idea behind it; Having players dance to the music is a really cool mechanic, but the main issue is that it is simply too difficult, if not impossible, to get most of the buffs out of it. At the end of the day it ends up just being a stealth (and armor, granted) engine, and even then often only for the Octavia herself, due to the stealth buff being the most reasonable to obtain. The multishot buff is impossible to get with a majority of weapons in the game. Beam weapons, burst weapons, charge weapons all make it impossible to get the buff without losing tons of shooting DPS, and burst fire can basically never get it without metronome being minmaxed instead of actual music. The melee attack buff I have seen allies activate by mistake, but again it only works if you are using a slow weapon, quick weapons get too many misses between notes when spammed, and when not spammed they are losing more damage than they'd get from the buff (especially if they are in Amp). My other main issue with the ability is in it's use a s a stealth machine. Sure, it's nice having 24/7 stealth if you dance along, but I honestly can't think of a worse frame to be invisible 24/7 than the frame that is a dance party rave frame. I mean she has the most detailed animations of anyone but you can't see them because she spends the entire game invisible.

But,l like I said, I love the way it encourages people to dance. The problem is that the only enjoyable way of dancing that does not entirely ruin your DPS or require relearning the entire game, is the crouching one.

I'm going to throw a suggestion out for an ability that I think should replace Metronome. Obviously it's just me throwing together an idea, so the numbers might be off/OP, and the mechanics might not work perfectly, but this seems like the sort of thing that would preserve the dancing aspect while making it something people actually bother to do.

Metronome

Grants buffs to those who consistently perform actions in time to Octavia’s music. Crouching or Jumping to the music builds Sync, where as mismatched crouches and jumps reduce it. When an ally reaches 100% sync, they gain a buff granting 4% / 6% / 8% / 10% Multishot, Movement Speed, and Melee Damage for the duration of the ability. Each Syncozined ally increases the effectiveness of this buff on all allies by 25% and makes enemies less likely to target Octavia.

Notes:

-Ideally everyone sync'd would glow their energy color, maybe leave trails like with Volt but without the lightning. Something gaudy, I am trying to put on a dance party here.

-I don't know if my math is right on the increasing buffs, the idea is that if all 4 players are sync'd the buff is twice as big. It would still be lower than it currently is maxed out because it can last longer and is easier to obtain.

-I realize this makes Octavia bad at solo, but she is a bard/buff frame, so it seems reasonable to build her around team play.

-I also realize many people would hate to lose stealth, but it is an incredibly poor fit for the frame, and is much better left to the frames with stealth themes, in my humble opinion.

-Ideally jumps would count for more sync since they are slower to do, but that would be a bit too much over explaining for an ability tooltip.

-Still might as well buff armor too, but that isn't in the regular tooltip so I didn't put it in this one.

This idea is silly. As Octavia, the only times I ever see people ever bother to do any thing in sync with my the music is when they want to go invisible. The rest of the buffs simply happy accidents.

Octavia is in a good place right now and this idea is nothing less than a hard nerf for Octavia. You yourself even admitted to it when you said that she would be weaker when playing solo.

Instead of trying to fix something that isn't broken, try giving suggestions for frames that need a rework, like Ember or Nyx. These frames have completely fallen behind the rest and they can use some fresh new concepts. 😉