Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks for Watching Devstream #116!

[DE]Rebecca

Melee Range mods are additive now?

3TIzRTG.png

(Thanks to /u/TheBigMotherFook for the image)

This worries me.
Assuming that Primed Reach is just this with 10 ranks, that's literally a +3.3m boost on Primed Reach... which is going to be rather unimpressive on large melee weapons (polearms, heavy blades, whips), considering that they're only about ~1m longer than daggers at base.

With such a change, the melee meta will change from "everything has godawful range except for Whips, Polearms, and Zaws, and some Heavy Blades" to "everything has crappy range regardless of weapon type". I get that weapon ranges need a bit of normalizing, but this is going too far-- every melee category is going to fill the same niche at this point.

Ideally, we would have a system like "Daggers are amazing at 1v1 DPS, whereas Polearms/Whips apply much lower damage over a much wider area". But if every melee weapon has basically the same reach, and that reach is ~4m at best, then we will effectively have zero melee weapons that are capable of dealing with large crowds at once.

Maiming Strike + Blood Rush meta aside, polearms and whips aren't overpowered. In terms of overall effectiveness, they're the standard that other melee categories should be held to. They're basically the only melee weapons that I would currently consider using over a gun as my main damage source... and that's not because they're godly, that's because other melee options are subpar.

Instead of nerfing every long-reaching melee weapon into oblivion by gutting the multiplicative component of Range mods, they should instead have both an additive and multiplicative component, so both long-ranged weapons (i.e. crowd killers) and short-ranged weapons (i.e. 1v1 monsters) can fully benefit. And to make up for the lack of hitbox size, shorter-reaching weapons need better damage and fast, consistent gap-closers, so that they're able to make full use out of their 1v1 DPS (and thus do something that Polearms/Whips can't currently do better).

Was an awesome stream but haven't received my rifle riven yet :s wife got it during the stream - definitely linked and watched whole thing (even the capture :D)

so some of us myself included didnt get our rivens, despite watching for over 30 mins, having accounts linked to twitch account viewed with, and relogging ingame. can this be fixed?

on other notes, i hope melee 3.0 will still allow heavy attacks and the talked bout rage mode thing, also really really hope we can still dual weild a one handed weapon with a gun, maybe even say, a gun and a shield like some of the grineer? hint hin pretty please!?

25 minutes ago, SortaRandom said:

Melee Range mods are additive now?

3TIzRTG.png

(Thanks to /u/TheBigMotherFook for the image)

This worries me.
Assuming that Primed Reach is just this with 10 ranks, that's literally a +3.3m boost on Primed Reach... which is going to be rather unimpressive on large melee weapons (polearms, heavy blades, whips), considering that they're only about ~1m longer than daggers at base.

With such a change, the melee meta will change from "everything has godawful range except for Whips, Polearms, and Zaws, and some Heavy Blades" to "everything has crappy range regardless of weapon type". I get that weapon ranges need a bit of normalizing, but this is going too far-- every melee category is going to fill the same niche at this point.

Ideally, we would have a system like "Daggers are amazing at 1v1 DPS, whereas Polearms/Whips apply much lower damage over a much wider area". But if every melee weapon has basically the same reach, and that reach is ~4m at best, then we will effectively have zero melee weapons that are capable of dealing with large crowds at once.

Maiming Strike + Blood Rush meta aside, polearms and whips aren't overpowered. In terms of overall effectiveness, they're the standard that other melee categories should be held to. They're basically the only melee weapons that I would currently consider using over a gun as my main damage source... and that's not because they're godly, that's because other melee options are subpar.

Instead of nerfing every long-reaching melee weapon into oblivion by gutting the multiplicative component of Range mods, they should instead have both an additive and multiplicative component, so both long-ranged weapons (i.e. crowd killers) and short-ranged weapons (i.e. 1v1 monsters) can fully benefit. And to make up for the lack of hitbox size, shorter-reaching weapons need better damage and fast, consistent gap-closers, so that they're able to make full use out of their 1v1 DPS (and thus do something that Polearms/Whips can't currently do better).

They nerfed the range of Galatine back when Mogamu did his video about Galatine plus Primed Reach being the best sniper in the game. Its not really much competition to those others anymore but hey, it still looks huge and cool. 😁

1 hour ago, Hozinger said:

I feel we deserve a dev workshop on the melee channeling ASAP at this point.

Whilst I DO understand why they canceled it last minute, it really soured the experience for me. I might have missed something (my internet did some glitchy stuff at the start) but pulling the rug from under us by saying "What Melee and Chanelling is becoming!" in the announcement and then maybe discussing it for like a minute felt terrible. I was expecting some big news on one of the  systems I have a pretty close connection to (When I started, I had a sour opinion of shooters, so the melee being as big as it is was one of the only reasons I even started Warframe) and was met with a "Sorree we can't show that now." After 20 minutes on what I consider to be a pretty minor feature, that felt awful. 

Pretty much my series of emotions:

"Oh cool, more in depth about the animal tracking. Neat. We're still about halfway through, seems like this'll top the Fortuna segment off!" 

*10 minutes later*

"Get off your damn hoverboard I'm pretty sure that'd help you look. I thought we were seeing some stuff about Melee in this devstream..."

*5 minutes later*

"Why are we still doing this... I was expecting a fairly 50/50 split..."

*another 5 minutes*

"FINALLY. Oh, you're going into the base first? That's cool I guess. I'd prefer to see some stuff about Melee since we were promised that. I guess if it was a third of the announcement, with this little to show, it must be a pretty big reveal."

*They show melee for literally a minute.*

"Goddamnit."

Yeah. Same issue here... I had this issue too when the Sacrifice Twitch Drops came back. I very carefully did the instructions, was in each stream for WELL over 30 minutes, logged in to my account which I have checked multiple times is linked. Yet both this time and during the Sacrifice drops I got nothing. No Riven.

In fact, the only Twitch Drop I HAVE gotten is the Ash Prime... But the system broke so they just gave it to everyone who had been logged into Warframe around then. So clearly something is broken with my connection to Twitch for... some reason.

(FYI: The Sacrifice Drops I was around for was the Teshin Head Statue and Tree Glyph, but recieved neither. I missed the first one, the Headpiece.)

Just wish that instead of trying to get the chat to spam nonsense that actual questions would be read and answered.

Seems to be a common thing with the streams -- get chat to spam as much as possible so nothing will actually get answered... also didn't help with the 1000 second (over 16min) message cooldown basically guaranteeing that any legitimate questions wouldn't be able to be asked or even read.

4 hours ago, (PS4)stoneymacpot said:

I never got my riven ive watched the stream way longer thn 30min. Will i be cheated out of this item just like past streams ?

4 hours ago, (PS4)No1Stupid said:

Same here. I watched the entire stream... no riven.

4 hours ago, (XB1)TAP Watcher XI said:

I watched from 2:01 to 3:28 and my account is linked on twitch how do I receive the riven drop, or is it like playing slots ?

3 hours ago, Worgen4ik said:

No riven as well...I was watching almost from beginning till the end...

Like about a third of the posts here, I also never got a riven mod, and I was connected to the stream the entire time...

Archived