Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma needs a rework

Aleksi134

I wholly and fully endorse this. He does need to compete with the survivability of other tanks, a most recent and relevant mention being Nezha. I like the added heal. I like the increased damage potential. We need to stop being afraid of effective, well-rounded reworks. 

....and if anyone cries OP

Octavia.

• Like 4

when i first heard about chroma before he was released and his abilities were announced i was EXCITED LIKE CRAZY!!!! i loved the idea of dragon frame, i instantly thought chroma prime, its gonna be the first prime access i buy the whole package for... then they started talking about the abilities i started losing excitement, and i never really got it back, even when he was broken i wasnt enjoying him, he didnt feel like a dragon to me, the effigy feels worthless to me to this day, his breath is a waste of time, he was all about boosting your survival, but it wasnt fun to play for me... if i had my way he would get a 100% rework from the bottom up

passive Dragon's Horde, armor buff depending on credit pickups, more credits you get as you play the higher your buff goes, could be fun and works off the idea in lore that dragons horde gold and valuables in their lairs

his 1, change his fire breath to basically his effigy hovering just off his back but still following him, allowing him full use of his guns and melee while the breath is going, basically the effigy but stuck directly to you instead of a turret

his 2 and 3, tbh i think they should be merged into one power, they are basically 2 halves of a whole ability

3 maybe a leaping aoe stomp? his wings flap sending him into the air and he comes down slamming his fist into the ground causing an aoe burst of elemental damage 360 degrees with a knockdown/push

4 give us the feeling of being a dragon, hover off the ground, speed buff, elemental claws and energyblasts linked to our primary and melee mods for each, quick melee does claws and blasts with mouseclick, that could be so much fun if done right

this is what i would see as a dragon frame, note this is off the top of my head so it could likely be better, but i think itd be a better frame than what we have

Edit: added passive

Edited by Ocerkin
  • Like 1

Well, something simmilar happend with oberon prime for example, befroe he were released they were working in a rework for him but they couldn't release it with the prime, but finally they released his rework some weeks after his prime release

But i'm sure they are working in a rework for chroma, at least they have give him a week plus since limbo prime was released (when a prime is released there's a period of 90 days, after this a new prime comes, that means that chroma prime would be release this next week, but it will be in sep 25, so they have give chroma a plus week

Edited by Physio7

Dude, you got me so upset with this post. I tuned in for the stream for the same thing, and was livid when they said no change for him. I'm trying to hold back my anger, but if they don't rework him, a lot of us are going to have a serious problem! DE you clearly can't stop Eidolons from being worked on by Riven and Lankas so buff him back and rework him! And give him a health boost! Nezha is tankier than him. That's sad. A [DRAGON] Warframe that requires pieces from Saryn , Volt, Ember, and Frost is weaker many of the other tanks. He's not the best buffer either (Freaking Rhino beats him and let's not forget Octavia). He should be one of THE BEST WARFRAMES IN THE FREAKING GAME!!!.... I'm gonna calm down.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

They said they would rework chroma, but that doesn't always mean it'll fall with a special release. Chroma prime was on a set schedule, it was gonna release regardless. Considering how many reworks were on their to-do list, I wouldn't be surprised if his rework comes after the prime.

You're ignoring a ton of precedence. All of the past primes have come with at least a few tweaks. 

2 minutes ago, Physio7 said:

Well, something simmilar happend with oberon prime for example, befroe he were released they were working in a rework for him but they couldn't release it with the prime, but finally they released his rework some weeks after his prime release

Yeah that's what i see happening too. If they really are changing the way that chroma's 1 and 4 function it could have gotten bogged down in animation changes and mechanics testing and couldn't sync it with prime release. Unlike Deluxe skins, Prime schedule can't be pushed back.

oh look, a merging of the threads that in no way makes it near impossible to figure out which conversation is which at a glance. I guess the bright side is if these are getting merged then Chroma might be on the radar. Maybe. Now let's hope that we get some response Monday or Wednesday about Chroma and potential direction. 

• Like 2

I'm liking a lot of suggestions from this post. To put everything more simply I think we can agree on Chroma needs a rework whether it be from the ground up or changing a his abilities a bit. By no means do I expect DE to do a full overhaul and whole new set of abilities but I would just like to add some ideas for consideration. 

Passive: One way they can change his passive is to possibly add a new tab under appearances to choose his element type. Or allow us to change his element type in game by using his 1 similar to vauban and ivaras abilities. Or Allow two energy types so chroma can do blast, corrosive and radiation damage.

Spectral Scream: Increase range and cone range (and strength). Allow double damage on enemies afflicted with a elemental status effect. Let the Afterburn augment mod be combined with the base ability. But let the augment mod allow us to burn the environment similar to Nezhas firewalk. 

Elemental Ward: Great ability, combine with his augment mod Everlasting ward (No reason it should be separate). 

Vexing Armor: Not much to change but the augment mod. Vexing retaliation should instead do slash proc with radiation damage.

Effigy: Let us pilot the dragon effigy and let us control his abilities (roar, fire knock-back and Fireblast!) add in a new mechanic where we throw elemental meteors at everything (similar to hydroids barrage but with meteors.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Physio7 said:

Well if we look at what happend with Limbo Prime, they released a rework for him a week before his release, if chorma prime will be released at sep. 25th, is so possible next week they can release a rework for chroma

Limbo's rework was talked about months before that tho.

With them constantly hinting at what the changes might be and even showing them on stream before the rework went live.

Here, the only thing we got that's related to Chroma (besides Chroma Prime) was Megan saying "No Chroma changes" on a Prime Time stream, which isn't promising.

I hope enough people get behind the idea of Chroma changes so that the devs realise how much they neglected the frame. 

Edited by Madway7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

They said they would rework chroma, but that doesn't always mean it'll fall with a special release. Chroma prime was on a set schedule, it was gonna release regardless. Considering how many reworks were on their to-do list, I wouldn't be surprised if his rework comes after the prime.

When was that? Source?

If it's the "we will come back to Chroma on a later date" that was mentioned in a really old patchnote in relation to his Vex Armor fix (the damage buff was giving negative damage at the time) then the result of that was the change that nerfed the damage and armor values he used to be able to get along with making it recastable and have an aura.

4 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

When was that? Source?

If it's the "we will come back to Chroma on a later date" that was mentioned in a really old patchnote in relation to his Vex Armor fix (the damage buff was giving negative damage at the time) then the result of that was the change that nerfed the damage and armor values he used to be able to get along with making it recastable and have an aura.

They mentioned it on stream when they were saying who was on their chopping block for reworks down the road a few frames were mentioned but chroma was the one that stuck in my head. Apologies that i can't remember which number, it was quite a while ago.

I was thinking to myself about Chroma while playing him in some defenses missions.as u all know, Chroma, is literally, a dragon. i came into conclusion that instead of Chroma's 4th ability(which allows him to create a dragon companion from 50% of his armor) seems a bit, boring. i mean, u create a fire breathing sentinel with tons of health who cant even move from his location. it seems that instead of creating a dragon, giving Chroma a pair of actual wings(and the visual of a more like a 4-leg-walker- giant European dragon with the tail and stuff) and the ability to fly would be:

A. way,WAY more cooler visually

B. giving Chroma the ability to fly not just makes sense since he is a dragon and all, but also can make his gameplay much more fun. i can say personally i would love to try it if it would be possible.

I'm certain that by making all the necessary balances in his abilities, it can be possible. I'm sure that there are many people who will agree with me that instead of his current 4th ability, the new one, which provides him the look of the mythological European dragon and the ability to fly, could be way more fun and awesome to play with, visually speaking and content speaking. I truly hope that those who see this suggestion will be taken seriously, for i'm a fan of warframe for a long time and only wish to make the game better from the perspective of a player in the game. I really do hope it will reach to the dev team.

wish u all a good day😁😁 (my nickname in the game is dbs1a)  

pretty sure this idea would be agreed with all

• Like 1

Chroma is not getting a pass because he needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. No amount of small tweaks are going to fix the glaring issue that modding for Vex Armor impinges upon his intended identity as a Support Tank.

Edited by JuicyPop
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, (PS4)mahoshonenfox said:

When people don't hate him and still use him. The only reason to rework Chroma is because he only has 2 functioning abilities. Virtually no passive whatsoever either. DE doesn't care about that. As long as their in game statistics shows people are still using the warframe, they won't rework the warframe. Its why they reworked Nehza. Its why they're going to rework Nyx. Compared to other warframes, very few people use those two. Even Vauban still sees some use with his Vortex and Bastille.

Chroma is one of the most unused frames by far according to the chart on the last devstream. Lets be honest here and say there are a lot of frames (even balanced good ones) that go very unused in comparison to the meta frames like Rhino, Loki, Mesa, Octavia, Ivara, Ember etc. That is because these frames are either easy to get for new players starting out or the frames are that good at what they do.

Popularity =/= balance. Just because a frame is used doesn't mean it is good or shouldn't get a rework. Just because a frame is good doesn't mean they are used. For example, Wukong is basically unkillable but he is not used. Chroma has a similar issue. People like Chroma and his concept but they hate his kit. People like Wukong but they hate his boring playstyle.

Chroma isn't used much more than Nezha or Nyx. The few times Chroma is used I'm willing to bet in most cases it is just for Eidolon Hunting and he isn't even really needed for that.

Nezha needed a rework also but Chroma has been in the game longer than Nezha, Wukong, Titania and many other frames that needed some reworking. And the past two years DE stated multiple times they want to revisit Chroma. People believed them but now that his Prime is close to release DE still has not delivered what they stated they would.

If DE is not going to rework Chroma it would be nice if DE at least told the community why.

The problem with Chroma is not only does he have 2 useless abilities. He has 2 useless abilities and the other 2 are just average.

Vauban has 2 useless abilities also but his other 2 are best in class. At least Vauban has a great 4. A 4 is considered the most powerful ability in a frame's kit but Chroma doesn't even have a decent 4. Revenant's 1 is better than Chroma's 4 in my opinion. Chroma doesn't excel at any particular category. He used to excel in the EHP and raw weapon dmg categories but not since the nerf.

His ability to change elements is currently just a gimmick and a wasted opportunity. 9/10 times you're going to use fire or ice to maximize his survivability and that is basically all he can do.

Not only does Chroma mainly focus on boosting his EHP as much as he can but he has to use 2 abilities to obtain survivability that still manages to fall below other frames like Inaros, Nidus, and Rhino who only need to use 1 ability or none.

Why not give Chroma the ability use corrosive or other more useful elements? That would give Spectral Scream a purpose to apply status.

For Elemental Ward,  why not add a slight HP regen of 5 HP per second to his fire ward? Instead of a stamina boost why not allow his toxin ward to make him temporarily invisible for 5 secs after taking 100 damage? His electric ward should boost shield regen on top of a shield boost. His cold ward could have a low chance to freeze.

Vex Armor is his only normal ability and that is the problem. It's a decent ability but it shouldn't be the main focus of his kit like it currently is. 

Effigy is a great concept with poor implementation. A lot of Chroma's abilities focus around getting up close to an enemy and/or being hit by the enemy. But Effigy is counter intuitive to this strategy and the rest of his kit. Effigy reduces the EHP that you gain from your 2 and 3 just so you can get a weak stationary turret that drains your energy while Leech Eximus units laugh at you.

There are a lot of ways DE could make Chroma more interesting and versatile to use. But DE doesn't seem to be putting in any effort.

Edited by (PS4)The-AngryMan
  • Like 1

I woild also loke them yo 'normalize' the different elements chroma can use because electric and toxin go unused.

I wanted to play chroma as a 'thunder dragon' upon release but thay involves shield tanking that involves a bit of cc but its so difficult to get that anywhere decent in functionality and the payoff just wasnt as impactful as fire/ice at the time.

I like the concept of his elements being customizable but the other elements are lacking and his current state of underperformance nakes the disparity worse. He was one of the frames i frequently used and stopped playing almost immediately after the nerf because its overly difficult to provide buffs and not die.

Even if you hoard the buffs for yourself he is still squishy so it makes it difficult to take advantage of the damage biost since you are too busy trying not to die.

I like the conceptof effigy but it is slow in nearly everything it does and the 50% armor reduction isnt worth it.

Ive only used effigy for the momentary stun to escape heal back up and turn effigy off so i hardly ever used it as a turret and more like embers accelerant.

Maybe if effigy provided damahe reduction in a protective radius or 8fit more active its turret nature would be more appealing to use.

1st: with chroma prime coming, they will surely implement changes to his abilities 

2nd: turn his 4 into a Stand that follows you around

3rt: makes his 1 (and his Stand skill of course) be fireballs instead of a short distance breath

minimal changes, maximum flavour, all the joy

• Like 1

he doesn't need some tweaks on his arsenal of abilities, he needs a rework, in my opinion, i hope he gets the same type of ability swap that ivara has, where you could change your elemental type on the run, affecting all the abilities, i also wish his 2 and 3 could be fuse, cause seriously, is such a waste 

• Like 1