Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma needs a rework

Aleksi134

Just now, Cibyllae said:

it fits the dragon theme of hoarding gold

yes but think about the possibly reason why its in the 4th ability slot and has a huge energy drain is due to this credit boosting effect. and when you think about it that would of fit better as a passive but de can't have that so they stuck it on the mediocre 4th ability and boosted the energy drain for it. 

i am all for a good theme but if it gets in the way then it gots to go.

5 minutes ago, Cibyllae said:

it fits the dragon theme of hoarding gold

I agree that its not totally necessary anymore but it's a great little bonus that rarely ever is utilized. Plus the theme is just too RICH(I'm a smaug fan what can I say). And hey, just like previously stated about lower levels it does tend to help out the lower MR's who cant run index efficiently! I remember lots of credit farming with chroma back in the day (albeit before the index but hey)

Just now, maddragonmaster said:

yes but think about the possibly reason why its in the 4th ability slot and has a huge energy drain is due to this credit boosting effect. and when you think about it that would of fit better as a passive but de can't have that so they stuck it on the mediocre 4th ability and boosted the energy drain for it. 

i am all for a good theme but if it gets in the way then it gots to go.

I dont necessarily see why it can't be included if its moved to a first ability position, at worst just lower ths credit scaling, but it is a nice unique little touch that overall would be sorely missed if taken out. (Plus I'm still on board with my original passive postion)

2 minutes ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

I agree that its not totally necessary anymore but it's a great little bonus that rarely ever is utilized. Plus the theme is just too RICH(I'm a smaug fan what can I say). And hey, just like previously stated about lower levels it does tend to help out the lower MR's who cant run index efficiently! I remember lots of credit farming with chroma back in the day (albeit before the index but hey)

I dont necessarily see why it can't be included if its moved to a first ability position, at worst just lower ths credit scaling, but it is a nice unique little touch that overall would be sorely missed if taken out. (Plus I'm still on board with my original passive postion)

yeah you got a point. yet i can't shake of the feeling that the creddit boost effect is the reason for it having the energy drain it has right now and the fact it is in the 4th ability slot

2 minutes ago, maddragonmaster said:

yeah you got a point. yet i can't shake of the feeling that the creddit boost effect is the reason for it having the energy drain it has right now and the fact it is in the 4th ability slot

it doesn't feel like an ultimate ability when you use it, I get what you're trying to say

59 minutes ago, hazerddex said:

honestly if they give him this kind of rework i might actually play him again. until then this former chroma main will stick to frames that are actually FUN to play.

I feel ya hard on that one man, 12.7% of my 2000+ hours on a frame only to have him be practically irrelevant after update 22... it hurts, but here's to hoping the future is brighter for everybody's favorite space ninja lizard element.. thing!

1 hour ago, maddragonmaster said:

hypothetically, I feel like you're spot on, which unfortunately, is really dumb. Hopefully though, it wont have to be sacrificed for functionality as per:

59 minutes ago, Cibyllae said:

"it doesn't feel like an ultimate ability when you use it..."

it really is a shame it and his 1 are so lackluster currently

1 hour ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

Thanks I really appreciate the support 🙂 

Just to toss idea's around, and get some hypothetical's fleshed out, what would your ideal base status chance be for his first ability? I'd like to start the process of getting a good consensus on the issue. 

I would think that the sustained breath weapon and the persistent patches would be inverses of each other. For the breath weapon I don't see anything wrong with a base status chance on par with say the Ignis Wraith -- around 30% - 35% (able to be increased with ability strength mods). I mean we're talking dragon fire (ice, toxin, etc.) here. The persistent damage areas should have a very high status chance, but perhaps a much lower damage than the direct fire. This would allow for the denial of area side effect -- and it would be cool AF!  Patches of glowing burning (or other effect) areas that persist on columns and such would be awesome.  Powers should be satisfying to use and sometimes that is purely cosmetic in nature.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Battle_Mage said:

I would think that the sustained breath weapon and the persistent patches would be inverses of each other. For the breath weapon I don't see anything wrong with a base status chance on par with say the Ignis Wraith -- around 30% - 35% (able to be increased with ability strength mods). I mean we're talking dragon fire (ice, toxin, etc.) here. The persistent damage areas should have a very high status chance, but perhaps a much lower damage than the direct fire. This would allow for the denial of area side effect -- and it would be cool AF!  Patches of glowing burning (or other effect) areas that persist on columns and such would be awesome.  Powers should be satisfying to use and sometimes that is purely cosmetic in nature.

That seems like a pretty respectable status range at base! Maybe if weapon functionality isn't supported with his 1 you could "channel" the ability (at extra cost to energy) by holding down the fire button for increased range and damage AND to make the ability function like a beam weapon (i.e. ramps up damage and status over time). That would make the ability extremely worth while imo! potentially enough to move it to the 4th ability slot not gonna lie.. (as discussed above)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

hypothetically, I feel like you're spot on, which unfortunately, is really dumb. Hopefully though, it wont have to be sacrificed for functionality as per:

as the idea and reason behind having his 4th his 1st and his 1st his 4th is too embody both eastern and western dragons. having a numbly dragon for the pelt less form and have a heavy and tough dragon for with pelt

50 minutes ago, Cibyllae said:

if dragon's aren't elemental lords idk what else is

mages can be elemental lords. druids can be elemental lords even more so since they are usually more intune with nature than mages.

Edit: pretty much anything that can harness primal energies can be an elemental lord not just dragons.

Edited by EinheriarJudith
  • Like 1

hey i thought of a good way to keep the creddit boost effect on the effigy ability. unfortunately it involves making it an augment mod.  though hoarding effigy has a nice ring to it.

OOF THAT DOES SOUND LIKE A DOPE AUGMENT! Maybe I can include it in my proposed augment as there are plenty of examples of augments with secondary or even tertiary effects, however it doesn't relate to the guardian aspect very much... regardless, I like the way you're thinking if worst comes to worst and the credit side effect has to be removed, an augment is a good bandaid. 

34 minutes ago, maddragonmaster said:

DE has a problem with giving powers too many resource restrictions to avoid giving it any kind of cooldown. honestly id give effigy its own HP and remove its channel restriction.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, EinheriarJudith said:

DE has a problem with giving powers too many resource restrictions to avoid giving it any kind of cooldown. honestly id give effigy its own HP and remove its channel restriction.

It would benefit heavily if it were duration (and/or) health based, a combination is fine too. Really that would patch one of the most major issues of this ability, or at least the most glaring flaw

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

OOF THAT DOES SOUND LIKE A DOPE AUGMENT! Maybe I can include it in my proposed augment as there are plenty of examples of augments with secondary or even tertiary effects, however it doesn't relate to the guardian aspect very much... regardless, I like the way you're thinking if worst comes to worst and the credit side effect has to be removed, an augment is a good bandaid. 

also was thinking of a mechanic or an augment for spectral scream that involves holding down the left mouse button to increase range and fire rate at the cost of width and a faster drain.

2 minutes ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

It would benefit heavily if it were duration (and/or) health based, a combination is fine too. Really that would patch one of the most major issues of this ability, or at least the most glaring flaw

i agree. nekros has this issue with shadows of the dead too. the shadows already have a diminishing health there is literally no need for its duration component.

Edited by EinheriarJudith
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, maddragonmaster said:

also was thinking of a mechanic or an augment for spectral scream that involves holding down the left mouse button to increase range and fire rate at the cost of width and a faster drain.

I mentioned something like this a bit earlier when responding to battle mage, I could quote to save you the trip if you'd prefer

59 minutes ago, maddragonmaster said:

oh ok. sorry if i repeated it.

Nah you're good man! this was it down here, though in retrospect you had alternative things to say about firerate, which I also am in full support of

1 hour ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

Maybe if weapon functionality isn't supported with his 1 you could "channel" the ability (at extra cost to energy) by holding down the fire button for increased range and damage AND to make the ability function like a beam weapon (i.e. ramps up damage and status over time). That would make the ability extremely worth while imo! potentially enough to move it to the 4th ability slot not gonna lie.. (as discussed above)

Edited by Oni_Spartan4

Hey yeah and the width decrease but range increase idea would go PERFECTLY with what hazerddex said about the laser beam! just have a constant stream of death while channeling it!

1 hour ago, hazerddex said:

is having something like this for either his 4 or 1 to much to ask for?tumblr_os9j2qSfOB1ufnwh1o3_540.gif

or idk this? jpg

Edited by Oni_Spartan4

1 minute ago, Oni_Spartan4 said:

Nah you're good man! this was it down here, though in retrospect you had alternative things to say about firerate, which I also am in full support of

ah yeah i see. sounds a bit similar to my thought. and sorry for the reference but my idea was kind of inspired by shin godzilla's breath attack where he could do both a beam like breath and a regular classice fire breath. though not to that crazy effect at it was shown in the movies.