Caves of Eidolon: Have They Been Abandoned?

Mataeru

Good afternoon all!

I just finished watching Devstream 116 and I have to say that I am absolutely amazed by the size, detail and care that DE is pouring into Venus and Fortuna. However, seeing DE Rebecca show us the subterranean Corpus bases in Orb Vallis has me concerned that The Caves and their entrances in the Plains of Eidolon are on the verge of being forgotten. 

It was one of the coolest things to see all the different caves open up for exploration during the Plague Star event, but I never fully understood why we only got to keep one of the caves. What with all the new activities and things to explore in Orb Vallis, I have to wonder what will happen to the plains afterwards. I really enjoy them, but they just feel so empty now that we've seen what's coming with Fortuna. I do remember DE Rebecca mentioning that we might get to do hunting in the plains as well, but I don't remember clearly.

Ultimately, my questions are:
1. Will Plains of Eidolon get expansions for ALL of its caves, like Venus is getting for its Corpus bases. Meaning, will all of them get opened up and be available for free exploration rather than just the one cave by the Twin Horns Lake?
2. Will POE also get hunting?
3. Is there a chance for an expansion to the size of the plains? There is so much more land out there beyond the barrier that could be converted into playable terrain.
4. In summary, will Cetus and POE be revisited after Forutna is released and get the same TLC and work to make them both comparable content and entertainment wise? At the present, it looks like once Forutna drops, Cetus and POE will become a ghost town...

If anyone knows where the Devs may have answered these question, would you be willing to link the comments for me?

Just now, bad4youLT said:

PoE is abondon at this time like every other content DE pumped out , thanks to tennocon18 we know DE road map for whole year , orb valis / corprus enviroment remaster / rail jack / new war , who knows whats next

I guess you missed the part where they said they would try to implement some features from fortuna to cetus. But that being said I wouldn't be surprised if they left PoE abandoned, like the rest of the things they released 

There's an achievement called Tomb looter that we get for exploring all the caves in PoE. Steam says that it's the second rarest achievement. 

The trophy/achievement is itself an additional reason to explore the caves at least once. People aren't doing it. But you figure DE should spend more time working on them? 

When Fortuna gets their caves, there's a chance for them to appear in eidolon aswell. From what I remember it was a technical limitation to not having them at launch - the assets and tiles we see now underground were actually designed to be procedural stitched together. However at this point it would need a new design-effort to make them have a point in eidolon and thus chances are slim.

They'd basically overlap with bounties (which was what they were originally designed for) and there would be a need to come up with a new reward/progression-structure and some way to make them meaningfully different to regular starcharts-maps. Best case scenario they would strip the ghoul event and have all it's content be tied to the caves as permament content instead of spamming players inboxes every couple of weeks.

Sadly I don't see it coming. 😞

I always wished the caves had a random generator to them so they were always different when visiting the plains. then they could have unique drops that would require you to scope the caves out and dungeon crawl to a reward. (or even something as simple as void vaults in the derelict). 

I really like BladeRamblers idea for a void portal, that could open a whole new world of ideas. (and could be implemented into relics somehow)

16 hours ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

There's an achievement called Tomb looter that we get for exploring all the caves in PoE. Steam says that it's the second rarest achievement. 

The trophy/achievement is itself an additional reason to explore the caves at least once. People aren't doing it. But you figure DE should spend more time working on them? 

That achievement can already be completed. You just have to find the Grineer doors that lead to the caves. It was one of the first POE achievements I unlocked:/

2 hours ago, Mataeru said:

That achievement can already be completed. You just have to find the Grineer doors that lead to the caves. It was one of the first POE achievements I unlocked:/

Yes, I know, I have it as well on the ps4. 

But that achievement is listed as being completed by less than 1 percent of the players on steam. People just aren't doing it, for whatever reason. If hardly any of us are actually doing the caves, even to get the achievements, it's unlikely that DE will be inclined to put a lot of effort into these suggestions. 

More than only exploiting the caves i would have preferred new mission ideas for the plains at all. DE built such a big and detailed open landscape, an open dream-box with the potential for a lot of new game modes and cooperative challenges. What we got instead were the bounties, the very same missions from the rest of the star chart, reclycled ad hoc, and the only idea they came up for exploiting the wide open space was what? Bullet-jumping 500 m from one stage to the other...wow. I really don't want to believe that the only original content for PoE is the eidolon hunt.

I'll wait for Fortuna to come and see if there is anything original there, if not, in my opinion, it would be nice to ask DE to think about that. I see that many people are proposing new mission types here and there in an inorganic way around the forum, maybe starting with a dedicated forum session would help (or is there one already)? I would personally like to propose some concepts to exploit the big space of the plains in a more interesting way.

PoE suffers the same issues, a lot of open worlds suffer: Lots of space, little content.

And no, being able to do the same content in different areas is not new content or an incentive to visit that area.
The need for unique reasons to visit areas and areas not having backstories to themselves, no life but enemies is what makes them so lacking in my opinion.

It'd be neat if there were hidden areas, puzzles or challenges in those caves that reward you with, for example:

• A mining hotspot with a large ammount of blue nodes
  • A fishing hotspot that offers both sea/lake-fish
  • A garden with lots of Maprico, Nistlepods and Kuakas
  • A valley with Iradite, Grokdul and Condrocs

Each one of them holding a good chance for a rare container and a low chance for a reinforced container (grineer variant).
This would give you a reason to go there, but technically isnt unique content. So a little extra that you could do just in those areas could be for example being able to go sharkwing and hunt down one of the big sharks for extra standing and maybe trophies or certain mod drops.
Storywise I'd leave it to DE's imagination what to do.

Archived