The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Darvo and loot boxes jokes ?

Otakuwolf

I don't know you but i think it would be grand if next time Darvo comes up saying he "pissed off somebody" it's because he tried something reminescent of the loot boxes.

"Err... i pissed off the Grineer again. This time i tried to sell them some "surprise mods" for weapons (rivens), but apparently i need a gambling license to do that. I don't get it, how is it gambling if they still get something out of the box ? Whatever, i need to get rid of these things before they come over for the inspection, and since i don't feel like risking the same again, just do me a favor and i'll give these to you for free no strings attached"

I mean, that's just an idea but wouldn't it be awesome to make fun of these little box bastards as countries are cracking down on them ?

1 minute ago, Otakuwolf said:

I don't know you but i think it would be grand if next time Darvo comes up saying he "pissed off somebody" it's because he tried something reminescent of the loot boxes.

"Err... i pissed off the Grineer again. This time i tried to sell them some "surprise mods" for weapons (rivens), but apparently i need a gambling license to do that. I don't get it, how is it gambling if they still get something out of the box ? Whatever, i need to get rid of these things before they come over for the inspection, and since i don't feel like risking the same again, just do me a favor and i'll give these to you for free no strings attached"

I mean, that's just an idea but wouldn't it be awesome to make fun of these little box bastards as countries are cracking down on them ?

This might be an unpopular opinion but DE isn't in much of a position to sit there and make jokes at other game makers. Here's why:

DE: Haha look at EA and Blizzard trying to coax kids into gambling.
EA: Well at least we can keep to deadlines.
Blizzard: At least we answers tickets within 24 hours instead of 24 days.

DE: ...

4 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but DE isn't in much of a position to sit there and make jokes at other game makers. Here's why:

I understand blizzard cause there support staff were solid and fixed my problems with alarming speeds. But does EA actually follow deadlines? Like pretty sure they delay a lot of content or send it out half complete like bungie

23 hours ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

EA is a huge developer/ publisher in comparsion to tiny (EDIT: pretty much) independent DE - the deadline argument wouldn't really make much sense. Not to mention an actual delays.

When it comes to Blizzard argument - yea, they're bigger, they have more human resources to handle player support. If DE designated more people to review tickets, the expanses would grow, which might not be a possibility for them (for now - hopefully).

Spoiler

Anyways, it's a joke, so whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23 hours ago, Otakuwolf said:

YES, get that thing in there asap! 😂

Edited by Kuez

9 minutes ago, Kuez said:

EA is a huge developer/ publisher in comparsion to tiny independent DE - the headline argument wouldn't really make much sense. Not to mention an actual delays.

When it comes to Blizzard argument - yea, they're bigger, they have more human resources to handle player support. If DE designated more people to review tickets, the expanses would grow, which might not be a possibility for them (for now - hopefully).

Reveal hidden contents

Anyways, it's a joke, so whatever. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ah so that makes throwing out petty jokes perfectly fine. /s 

Would it be funny, yeah for about 30 seconds. Would attacking another company for the dumb b/s they doing a smart idea when your own company has an untold list of stuff they can attack you with. No it wouldn't.

As the saying goes "Don't throw stones if you're sitting in a glass house"

Edited by Joe_Barbarian

11 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Ah so that makes throwing out petty jokes perfectly fine. /s 

Would it be funny, yeah for about 30 seconds. Would attacking another company for the dumb b/s they doing a smart idea when your own company has an untold list of stuff they can attack you with.

As the saying goes "Don't throw stones if you're sitting in a glass house"

How is making a joke, attacking someone? It just ridicules their (as you said) dumb bs.
If someone's doing something stupid, call them out on it.

Not to mention - we're making a joke about a COMPANY's action, not an individual person. Even though I just fn' know there would be few people (tops) - if not just one - who would deserve such critique.

Edited by Kuez

1 minute ago, Kuez said:

How is making a joke, attacking someone? It just ridicules their (as you said) dumb bs.
If someone's doing something stupid, call them out on it.

Yeah which they been getting called out, by it's players and multiple governments. Why should DE jump on this band wagon? enough people are already doing it.

You're like that kind of person in a video where someone wants to fight and the other like "no thanks" and you're the one inciting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT 

I'm amazed someone claims EA to release things in time.

*cough*BattlefieldV*cough*

And when they do release things in time they are mostly buggy incomplete rushed messes that take a year or more before core mechanics work as they should. Just look at BF4, it took DICE nearly a year to get the netcode in order so you didnt end up getting shot behind a wall you had been covering behind for the last 2-3 seconds. Not to mention how long it took them to fix ghosting on projectiles with travel times, like rocket launchers, both stationairy and carried.

3 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Yeah which they been getting called out, by it's players and multiple governments. Why should DE jump on this band wagon? enough people are already doing it.

There's absolutely no reason for DE to do that - agreed.
Is there enough people doing that? Listen, when someone who does such things, doesn't stop, they should be called out on it, more and more.
I'm not saying that someone should do so - I'm just saying that I don't discourage it.

I'd be more than happy for DE to implement the joke.

Spoiler

Because:

24 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

Would it be funny, yeah for about 30 seconds.

It's been 45 minutes, and I still think it's a great and clever joke - subjective.

10 minutes ago, Joe_Barbarian said:

You're like that kind of person in a video where someone wants to fight and the other like "no thanks" and you're the one inciting FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT 

If that person wasn't doing dumb sh*t, hell to the no - I wouldn't encourage that.
Again - would I encourage to fight with someone that did? I wouldn't discourage it. 😏
BTW I feel like you're comparing an intellectual "fighting" to physical fighting, which doesn't really make sense.
Coming to think of it, if that was the case - I would encourage fighting. You got me. 😂

If any company in specific is insulted because of this joke, then said company is one of those predatory scum that deserve to crash and burn.

EA are closing in every day on a Chinese mobile app level of micro transactions in AAA priced titles, most are sure to follow, this needs to be ridiculed as much as possible. Along with the annual release of the same game, but different, requiring the same purchases, gaming will slowly become like contemporary movies, the same action/comedy time and time again with different looking things in between.

Also, comparing inability to cope, for whatever reason, with obvious abuse and gambling?

A joke like that wouldn't do much in any regard anyway, but if it can make some one smile every once in a while, why not?

I'd certainly find it funny.

DE has its issues (some they're aware of, others apparently not) but their customer service and quality of output can be excused, to an extent, due to the small scale of their operation.

Nothing excuses putting gambling features in video games that can be played by under-18s.

I play Armored Warfare and there was recently a huge outcry among the player base when they started offering loot crate bundles as a way of "winning" exclusive tanks. Some players paid out over €150 and got only regular stuff you could obtain in ordinary crates, awarded for doing easy in-game objectives.

Of course, the stuff you got was worth what you paid, (so you couldn't say you'd been scammed), but given it was mostly readily obtainable just through normal gameplay, made it a very sore subject. Needless to say they haven't done it again since. 

Just to clarify, this is not meant to be an attack on those companies using loot boxes, but on the loot boxes themselves.

To make an example, if some random dude callen Bob is a shoplifter, and some other random dude callen Brad makes a joke about shoplifting, Brad is not making fun of Bob but at the pratice of shoplifting. Sure, Bob can feel offended by it, but as somebody has already pointed out, if he does then is a scumbag for endorsing something that is clearly wrong, and even if the joke is not directed to him he deserves every laugh from it.

Besides, other gaming companies like Devolver Digital already take dumps on triple-ayy companies for theyr shady buisness pratices, and yet i never seen triple-ayy firing back at them.

Edited by Otakuwolf

1 hour ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Of course, the stuff you got was worth what you paid

I'd argue that a virtual object with 0 real world convertibility could be considered worth anything, there is no real scarcity of the object as well.

That said, this turns the whole argument that "unlike slots you always win something" upside down, you never win anything.

At least in the case of direct purchases, like in Warframe, you make an educated decision to give money for the "nothing" you want.

Loot boxes are not only gambling, but gambling with only a chance to be content that you've won nothing of value.

Edited by Ver1dian

28 minutes ago, Ver1dian said:

I'd argue that a virtual object with 0 real world convertibility could be considered worth anything, there is no real scarcity of the object as well.

That said, this turns the whole argument that "unlike slots you always win something" upside down, you never win anything.

At least in the case of direct purchases, like in Warframe, you make an educated decision to give money for the "nothing" you want.

Loot boxes are not only gambling, but gambling with only a chance to be content that you've won nothing of value.

Well what I meant was that, in the case of AW, the contents of the crates was nearly always stuff like gold (their in-game currency), boosts / insignia (which help you earn more credits & XP, or actual credits & XP. If you were lucky you'd get a low or mid-tier premium tank. I did actually win one of those, so I guess I didn't do too badly.

However the only reason anyone bought the crates was to get a chance to win one of the Tier 10 exclusive tanks that you couldn't buy from the shop, or grind towards in the tech trees. Some players were under the impression that if you bought the biggest crate bundles, you were guaranteed to win one...which turned out not to be the case.

As you say, I don't mind spending money on virtual stuff, as long as I know what I'm getting...which is why I only spent around €20 on crates (just a small token of support for the game). Some poor saps blew €100-200 on crate bundles, only to be disappointed.

4 hours ago, Otakuwolf said:

Last time I checked DE is still selling loot boxes that contain "surprise mods".

13 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

EA keeps deadlines? Blizzards support react within a day? where is this magic land? also the false equivalence is so pathetic, it made me want to defend DE, kinda. and they sure as frick don't deserrve it

Ehhh the blizzard one is true.

I was talking to a group of people a few years ago and they were talking about how fast and how much care they take on the support department.

8 hours ago, (XB1)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

DE isn't independent. They were bought by Leyou like three years ago.

That's true.
However you've got to admit that in comparison to EA there absolutely NO pressure from their side.
In other words Leyou isn't saying what DE is supposed to do with their game (or at least that's what I see - it might be that Leyou cares about games as much as gamers themselves 😄).