Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Person Mode.

(XBOX)Architect Prime

HALT! Leave that attitude at the door! Let's chat. 

Ahh yes, the first person shooter. So immersive. Such fancy huds! MAXIMUM AIM SENSITIVITY!!! But how could that possssssibly exist in the warframe?! Bullet jumping is destination one. Destination two is being too dizzy to remember your own name. That, my flies and fellas, is the heart of what can't be in a warframe FPS mode. But wait! hold on there you cute little Tenno. Don't move or it'll bite... Don't. turn. around.... This isn't impossible. 

Finally! The meat of the post. Since the realist and biggest and most glaring to the point of laser vision that CAN melt steel beams issue is that extreme mobility... You could remove it and give first person mode some buffs which would most likely result in players switching back and forth depending on the situation. OR you could leave it in there and just give them a lesser/different FPS buff. 

The other issue which is almost but not quite as glaring to me is tech and performance aspect. In first person, the weapons and warframes and environmental textures would allllllllll need to be improved allot. So as of right now, with the current textures, meshes, animations, and the frame rates... Let's just say FPS mode isn't feasible YET. It will be. But it's not right now. 

The final point is as to what button to use to switch perspectives. We're honestly running out of room on the xbox controllers so I dunno. 

But that's about it for that. I was going to go into huds on this post, but that'll be its own post as it doesn't depend on an FPS mode. But I will say that the HUD aesthetics are more important in first person than third person.

Edited by (XB1)Architect Prime

Disregarding the whole "muh motion sickness!1!!1" argument, one of Warframe's strongest points that set it apart from other games is the movement system. Taking that away would make some parts nigh unplayable. Oh, need to bullet jump to a high place like the Agility Drift test? Guess what, you're SOL because you can't bullet jump while in first person mode (I cannot imagine how horrible the nausea would be). Switching back and forth would ruin you're so called "immersion", plus who knows if DE's engine can even handle a first person camera without being rebuilt from the ground up. What if you get mobbed by enemies you can't see behind you since they spawn in hordes?

15 minutes ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

You could remove it and give first person mode some buffs which would most likely result in players switching back and forth depending on the situation. OR you could leave it in there and just give them a lesser/different FPS buff.

Please tell me what possible buff that wouldn't be ungodly OP would make up for being about as mobile as the Grineer and Corpus we mindlessly slaughter. If I wanted to play an FPS sci-fi shooter I'd go play the crapfest they call Destiny.

Edited by --Q--Stryker

While it is a staple of shooter games, I hate the game mode. Some say it is immersive, but those are people who have never actually been in combat behind a weapon. The view in first person is that of a horse with side blinders on. In reality, someone cannot simple walk beside you and stab you without you seeming them well before they reached you. Maybe if you wanted to go more realistic and have more of ‘fish-eye’ design where you see a much wider angled view condensed onto a tv screen, then we could talk. 

Warframe is at its core, a third person game. Otherwise there would be no point to fashion frame and let’s face it, without the ability to see your cool looking character, many players would have abandoned this game long ago.

10 minutes ago, --Q--Stryker said:

So did you want an actual discussion or waste everyone's time with memes? If it's the latter, I'll take my leave now.

No, I've got you. So you lose mobility an your vision is narrowed. The only two buffs worth getting in my mind are either damage or health/armor/shield. damageis the closest to making sense in my mind, but that's incredibly risky. You could also go sprint speed as well. That would promote switching to FPS mode for cruising flat open spaces and I think frost users would appreciate the damage buff since they'd be standing around in their bubbles all day. 

In the end, there's probably no way to balance it. But that's kind of how I think it could go... Somewhat. 

Edited by (XB1)Architect Prime

Overall, while everybody else is just saying a flat no, I would enjoy a variant like Titanfall, First person doesn't need to follow the head to make it realistic, rolling in lots of games is just a dip (Mcree roll) which brings the idea of rolling, so we could feasibly create a FPS mode where you don't get motion sickness, so a small dip with speed lines on rolling, some swirl effect on the sides of your screen on bullet jumps accompanied with a small energy colour glow, and the Titanfall gun tilt for wallrunning and sliding. While everybody here likes to hit on Destiny, you could borrow some things like the sprint, the hunter dash jump, Halo 4/5 pistol sight (the holographic one) for weapons without a sight.

I don't think FPS mode will come, it would increase the work load with new weapons, needing to make FP idle animations and models, but its still fun to imagine in those eyes.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Kamranos said:

While it is a staple of shooter games, I hate the game mode. Some say it is immersive, but those are people who have never actually been in combat behind a weapon. The view in first person is that of a horse with side blinders on. In reality, someone cannot simple walk beside you and stab you without you seeming them well before they reached you. Maybe if you wanted to go more realistic and have more of ‘fish-eye’ design where you see a much wider angled view condensed onto a tv screen, then we could talk. 

Warframe is at its core, a third person game. Otherwise there would be no point to fashion frame and let’s face it, without the ability to see your cool looking character, many players would have abandoned this game long ago.

Also you wouldn't see the gun right in front of you while sprinting like it's the lion king lol

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

The only two buffs worth getting in my mind are either damage or health/armor/shield. damageis the closest to making sense in my mind, but that's incredibly risky.

I could see a flat health/shield/armor buff being nice to make up for the smaller line of sight/mobility.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

You could also go sprint speed as well.

I don't see this going well considering Volt.

6 minutes ago, midtarget said:

rolling in lots of games is just a dip (Mcree roll) which brings the idea of rolling, so we could feasibly create a FPS mode where you don't get motion sickness, so a small dip with speed lines on rolling, some swirl effect on the sides of your screen on bullet jumps accompanied with a small energy colour glow, and the Titanfall gun tilt for wallrunning and sliding.

This would be the best way to do it if they implemented it, but I think it all depends on what DE's engine is capable of. If it had to be completely rebuilt to support it, I don't see them putting in that much effort to add it.

Oh get real, huginthecrow. How kind of you to compliment the devs. But that isn't actually evidence supporting your argument.

In other words.

"X is true because the devs are GREAT look at me I'm so nice" isn't a valid argument. It's like some wierd appeal to authority in a non sequitur.

2 minutes ago, snarfbot said:

Oh get real, huginthecrow. How kind of you to compliment the devs. But that isn't actually evidence supporting your argument.

In other words.

"X is true because the devs are GREAT look at me I'm so nice" isn't a valid argument. It's like some wierd appeal to authority in a non sequitur.

Alright, let's make a feature that would take multiple years to develop and use a gigantic amount of resources. Oh, this feature is completely pointless and doesn't do anything to enhance/fix the game, it even breaks more things and introduces two different modes you have to bugfix and balance?

Cool.

How about you think for once and consider this: A good game designer would laugh at you and fire you instantly if you pitched them this idea. It's such a stupid concept I don't even know where to start.

I'm not appealing to DE, I'm simply stating that, considering their track record, I can be confident they would never make such a disastrous mistake. They can be bad about game balance but the core game design is there. It's clear to me they actually know what they are doing for the most part, It is also clear to me that nobody who would support this idea actually knows anything about what they are talking about.

tl;dr; This "concept" is a waste of time, waste of space and I regret bumping this terrible, terrible idea.

Look I don't really care one way or another I just hate it when people use tactics like that in their arguments.

It was a weak argument, based on an assumption of yours (that Warframe was designed for 3rd person. and 3rd and 1st person are mutually exclusive) without evidence to support it. So you added a line sucking up to the devs to shield your position from criticism.

Now you're responding to my post that called you out with a bunch of other assumptions (it would take multiple years, break stuff I would get fired lol)

This is not an argument, I'm not sure what it is. The only part that makes any sense in context to my post is the part where you argue that you weren't trying to appeal to DE, and it too was completely based on assumptions, in other words stuff you made up.

Stop making things up, present a proper argument.

If you think it will take dev resources away from something that you would personally prefer like new content then that is a valid concern but you can make that argument without acting like a tool.

Edit: I think alot of this comes down to the way you present your opinion.

I see the words "pro tip" or "news flash" all capitalization, I see someone trying to show emphasis. There are legitimate reasons I'm sure but usually they're used to prop up weak arguments. Your position can basically be boiled down to:

I don't like it, I'd rather they use those resources elsewhere.

Other people have different opinions and they are just as valid as yours.

Edited by snarfbot

37 minutes ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

I will not apologize for using prequel memes

Don't. Prequel memes are always welcome.

Also, while I think you should have clarified the nature of the thread earlier, I'd still like to apologise for derailing it this hard. Thankfully you seem like a way more reasonable person than the other guy.

Edited by HugintheCrow
added an apology, felt like I owed one to the OP

1 hour ago, HugintheCrow said:

Don't. Prequel memes are always welcome.

Also, while I think you should have clarified the nature of the thread earlier, I'd still like to apologise for derailing it this hard. Thankfully you seem like a way more reasonable person than the other guy.

It's all good. With the this thread topic, it's to be expected.

Warframe, at the core of its overall design, is 3rd person. One of the game’s numerous strengths is its movement and parkour mechanics. There’s no way to effectively translate all that it offers from 3rd person to 1rst person. There’s just so little that you can do in first person without looking weird. Even when they try it, they either force the camera out to 3rd person anyway or it looks terrible. The animations are another thing to consider. With so many melee weapons and stances in the game, putting all of that into 1rst person is too much for a smaller team to handle. Fashionframe, I believe, would also take a hit as you can’t see your stuff! I love customization but it has always felt restricted to particular areas or actions in first person. That’s something a 3rd person view doesn’t suffer from. Given the design of the game, warframe simply isn’t optimized for 1rst person. Not now and probably not ever. Movement, animation, parkour, which the team spent a long time developing and refining, would all be for nothing. Soooooo no 1rst person

4 hours ago, (XB1)Architect Prime said:

I should clarify that the goals of this post was a very neutral one: 1 - FPS is probably impossible, 2 - Try to imagine some ways to make the mechanics work anyway.

giphy.gif

I will not apologize for using prequel memes

Considering how hard the thread derailed the GIF is fitting lol

• 1 month later...

Hey just reviewing some of the post about FPS in Warframe. I understand that Warframe was not intended to have a First person perspective and that the movement system would be too much of an obstacle to modify. I think it would be possible though for DE to make Aiming First Person while toggling aiming in the options. You could aim in First person as a zoom, similar to a sniper rifle, and let go of the aim button to go back to third person allowing movement as usual. It wouldn't be true FPS but a hybrid. If you don't want the option of FPS mode while aiming just leave it unselected in the options or default setting. This i think is a really good idea giving us a taste of First person Mode while keeping the game mechanics and our stomachs intact. Any thoughts on this?