Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Selling rivens can cause you to have negative plat

OmegaZeroKool

Looks like the latest patch tries to mitigate some of these issues, atleast regarding riven sales and charge backs.

You now need to be MR8 in order to trade rivens. This might actually solve some of it because people that tend to cheat want to have it easy for them. Now having to grind MR8 before being able to trade might be too much hassle for many of them. Placing a level 20 requirement on chat priveliges in Marvel Heroes pretty much removed gold seller spam, and that game could easily be botted to level 20. Getting MR8 in WF takes far longer time.

11 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Looks like the latest patch tries to mitigate some of these issues, atleast regarding riven sales and charge backs.

You now need to be MR8 in order to trade rivens. This might actually solve some of it because people that tend to cheat want to have it easy for them. Now having to grind MR8 before being able to trade might be too much hassle for many of them. Placing a level 20 requirement on chat priveliges in Marvel Heroes pretty much removed gold seller spam, and that game could easily be botted to level 20. Getting MR8 in WF takes far longer time.

To be on the safer side I would have made it MR10. 

I had negative plat too because I bought a riven and chargeback happened somewhere. In the end my parents agreed that they'd let me spend money on a free game this one time for something as stupid as "a ban for being scammed". But if it happens again I'm done with this bamboozle too, the trade is too exploited and un-moderated. Plus it's showing it's age...

My advice is never move a large amount of fresh platinum. Have plat income from multiple smaller sources rather than 1 large source.

So for those players who are saying my story makes no sense this is what happened. I sold a player a Lanka riven for almost 1500 after hours of farming kuva and rolling that riven I got what most players call a "1 shot idolon kill" riven. The sad part is that was the only trade I have done and after logging into warframe.com/user I was able to see the negative balance I currently owe then is 620 and that is after using my 75% plat purchase for 1000k plat. Yes 620 plat does not sound like a huge amount to owe warframe but that means I have to buy a packet of 1000 plat at regular price that equals $50 for an account I have worked hard and farmed many rare parts with. Too some players $50 dollars is not a lot but for someone who had no idea I had to do a background check on a player before making a sell this is beyond ridiculous. So if you think warframe taking 800 plat that I just purchased and then making me buy $50 dollars worth of plat again, then this game will start loosing players really fast and make them take the trade market down like they did in Diablo 3.

DE is in a very bad situation on this issue, unfortunately. There really isn't that much that can be done.
Points of note:
1) platinum is the only -currency- you can exchange between players; you cannot trade the more easily obtained Credits.

2) platinum is only obtainable with real world money, purchases keep the game running.

3) platinum fuels the game's economy.

How are these important? Well...
1) They cannot disable trading plat, for fear of causing the entire market to collapse, and causing many paying customers to simply stop paying.
2) If they keep it as it is, we have fraud problems, which cannot easily be mitigated. Either they take the fall (eventually killing off the game due to financial difficulties), or players do (again, eventually killing off the game, but in this case due to loss of confidence). No win situation in the long run, allowing fraud to stay as common.

What clearly isn't a solution:
1) DE starts taking the fall. They lose, we lose, everyone loses. It sucks but it's the truth. They would face financial ruin.
2) Players keep taking the fall. Same as above, just less so; there will always be more customers, but if it keeps up it's just going to gut them.

3) removing plat trading. having a medium of exchange is a necessary evil, and unfortunately this is too ingrained as a medium. what else is there, credits? Some people have millions by now, and they aren't hard to get (or worth much). This game isn't like Elder Scrolls Online, where you pay to unlock newer content in episodes, and the premium currency (and everything bought with it) is account-bound. Warframe has progressed too far to change this.

4) removing trading. Now that it's in, removing it would cause a nasty shock. Not to mention, every once in a while you just want to help your newbie friends out with a cool mod you got a 100th duplicate of...

Possible partial solutions, not mutually exclusive:

1) restricting platinum trading by MR. Ideally, it should start very small and follow an exponential growth curve. It'd cramp new players and new "players", while allowing long-standing players more freedom.
2) restrict trading components and blueprints to the MR of the item they make. Kind of like the MR8 restriction on trading rivens. Example: Make Tiberon Prime parts require MR14, as the gun takes that rank to make.

3) Make trading plat require payment verification from both parties. Painful, very destructive toward new players and those who can't afford to buy plat, but it'd have an impact. Particularly if they do the below option

4) Limit accepted cards to certain trusted companies. No allowing those cheap-o load it yourself card, it needs to be associated with an actual bank. This allows DE to pin down precisely WHO is engaging in fraudulent behavior. It may be limiting to many players, but it would certainly help in the long run.

5) Background checks, and not receiving plat until ensuring (3) is true, etc.

At bare minimum, they should restrict plat trading by MR, restrict plat purchasing to trusted sources like major banks, and put in mastery requirements for trading prime parts and blueprints. It would have a heavy impact on curbing the problem.

What if plat is used to buy trade points and then you use these trade points to trade with? Then you can exchange said trade points for plat to buy stuff off the market.

So someone's selling a Lanka riven you want. You whisper them and agree to trade. They will first have to exchange their plat for these trade points. Then they trade you and you convert that into plat and this plat is clean, not tied to someone elses purchase.

This wouldn't fix the "make dummy account, buy plat, trade plat to main account, do charge back, delete account" issue though it would just protect the honest players.

Edited by VanosPrime
Clarification

Man, I'm kind of glad I haven't really delved much into the riven market with all this going on. This is the first I've heard of people doing chargeback scams. The most I've ever sold anything for was 350, which is a reasonable plat farm so I've never really had any of these problems.

Kind of makes me not want to trade much, anymore. Since I only ever trade for plat when I need it for something. I'm sure even "small" plat trades could lead to this happening to me, and I'd be pissed beyond belief if it happened to me.