Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Hacking isnt relyable

AnnaCurser

I get the idea behind it.
Corpus hacking is about pattern. You complete the pattern and youre done.
Grineer hacking is about timing. You press in the right moment, and youre done.

But relying on something like timing in a game that works over the internet and suffers of heavy frame loss depending on graphics and the tileset alone - is just mean.

When you press it the moment the curser is on it - youre missing it.
When you press it the moment before its on it - youre missing it.
When you press it the moment you hear the sound - youre missing it.
When you press it the moment before the sound - youre missing it.

sometimes it doesnt matter how you approach it, if youre simply unlucky, youre missing it every single time.

I dont see myself as a bad hacker. I have runs where I hack the grineer console in a few seconds without mistake. But I also have the times where it just doesnt hit it at all and I have to retry like 6 times and eventually I run out of time and the mission is failing.

The system of grineer hacking is simply not relyable. The chance is random.

I use a cipher whenever possible but in Sortie, that is simply not available. It's not the end of the world but it is a pain in the butt. And its making me quit / not attempt Sorties that have grineer hacking in it.

In the sacrifice we saw this new fresh hacking of orokin consoles, with the new ciphers and runes. I never got why the orokin had corpus consoles and Im hoping those new orokin consoles will be updated into the regular thing too.
However, while were on it, I suggest to rework the whole hacking thing and change the grineer hacking into another challenge of timing but less painful.

Theres this game where you have to adjust tiles in a pattern to form a canal for an ever approaching fluid that works its way through the tubes. I suggest using that or something similar for Grineer hacking since their technology is based on chemicals, and a fluid and tubes would not only fit that thematic better,
it would to top it all be less of a pain in my balls.

Thanks for the read
DfC

Grineer hack is probably the most reliable thing in this game...I can do it with my eyes closed.

If you are suffering from FPS drops I recommend lowering the settings. Also the hack is client side so the internet connection does not have any impact on hacking.

Only issues so far i have had with the Grineer Hacking was that the screens behind the consoles was yellow like the hacking game and it would many times cause confusion when hacking as the markers would blend with the screen on the background. Gladly, that got fixed and consoles being hacked now turn red wile the hacking screen remains yellow.

43 minutes ago, DavidCurser said:

But relying on something like timing in a game that works over the internet

The hacking consoles are not affected by connectivity to the host. They are done local then transmitted to the host. On the other hand the time it takes for the console to activate after you press X to interact with it is.

44 minutes ago, DavidCurser said:

and suffers of heavy frame loss depending on graphics and the tileset alone - is just mean.

Thats one of the reasons you shouldnt push your graphics beyond what your card is suppose to withstand.

.... Could you please edit the title so it's spelled "Reliable"?

Also yeah first I've heard of desync issues on the Grineer minigame. Usually it's just how much people flub it when trying to go too fast. There's no timer on (most of) them for a reason.

Per chance have you ever played a rhythm game? Your reaction time might actually be the slow part- if you internalize the metronome you can probably "keep up" with it, so to speak.

Edited by Eirshy

i have no time to listen to some rythm for every two slots to hack when Im being shot at, panically trying to save the sortie.

Its not about that the hack was hard - it isn't - but it is buggy. If it works for you, you dont have to post your smug in here. This thread is for people who have issues with the grineer hack. So far i seem to be the only person of 20 or so million who have an issue with this stupid minigame.

I would rather solve 10 puzzles than to hack one of those ridiculous rythm games. It needs. To. Change.

19 hours ago, DavidCurser said:

i have no time to listen to some rythm for every two slots to hack when Im being shot at, panically trying to save the sortie.

Its not about that the hack was hard - it isn't - but it is buggy. If it works for you, you dont have to post your smug in here. This thread is for people who have issues with the grineer hack. So far i seem to be the only person of 20 or so million who have an issue with this stupid minigame.

I would rather solve 10 puzzles than to hack one of those ridiculous rythm games. It needs. To. Change.

Rhythm. And it's not to "listen to", it's... to feel? I'm... actually not quite sure how to describe this to someone. It's sort of an innate thing for me, likely the product of the music courses I once took. Anyways my point was learning to do that might help. If it's a desync issue, then it'll make it easier to compensate for (as you just need to beat shift), and if it's a reaction time issue, it pulls the entire action away from your reaction speed.

You're the one getting hostile. And apparently demanding that something that apparently nobody else has a problem with needs to change because you can't be assed to either git gud or find a trick that works for you.

Edited by Eirshy

• 2 weeks later...

If you're having trouble, tackle the sortie with a team, or practice the patterns in sedna/pluto spy. Every corpus cipher can be completed with at least 8 seconds left on the clock (speaking as someone with horrible reflexes and pattern recognition), and the grineer ones aren't timed.

I loathe high level grineer hacking in nightmare missions. There's a hidden timer that's far more punishing than corpus and it also seems if you mess up on a single node too many times you also get blown up. There's also definitely input lag on console as OP described. You can get around one lockdown with air support charges with the liset but apparently you're only allowed one bypass per nightmare mission. I really wish DE would make these terminals less punishing for nightmare missions and at the very least communicate the time limit for them.

On 2018-10-10 at 3:17 PM, (PS4)NevikJames said:

I loathe high level grineer hacking in nightmare missions. There's a hidden timer that's far more punishing than corpus and it also seems if you mess up on a single node too many times you also get blown up. There's also definitely input lag on console as OP described. You can get around one lockdown with air support charges with the liset but apparently you're only allowed one bypass per nightmare mission. I really wish DE would make these terminals less punishing for nightmare missions and at the very least communicate the time limit for them.

The grineer ones aren't quite timed, they're based on how many full rotations the cursor makes. You can select nodes adjacent to the previous node on the return swing of the cursor to maximize the time on the cipher. I wouldn't know about the latency you're experiencing though. As I've been told, it depends on your FPS.

Edited by Handstamp

Practice till you can do them even with extreme lag. I mean I used to mess up when playing WF on battery but if upyou keep doing it and understand fully the exact positions of the cursor, it becomes easier with time.

Other than that, it is hard to solve.

• 4 weeks later...

Usually the Grineer hacking can be easiliy bypassed by ciphers. In Sorties that of course doesnt work, which also isnt a problem.

The problem comes with on some tilesets with some enemies that seem to create a little bit lag (not internet wise, graphic wise) with their eximus effects (maybe to many particles in that one tileset together with the eximus particle effects) which THEN make it a little bit harder to accurately hack if i got delays because my graphics card. (Having a Nvidia GTX 650 with 2gb, usually enouth to play the game still on games like doom 2016 ..... i play with maybe 30 fps if im lucky)

Its just the game, dont feel like they should change it if the problem is on my end with my graphic card after 5 years beeing slowly outdated. However, im still able to hack even with the delays, i just need to focus more and sometimes unlock the wrong ones instead of locking the right ones...

May i ask the topic poster about his graphics card? Maybe he (or she?) got the same problem that i sometimes got because of mine