Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentient Volnulyst

LostEpoch

Journal log 178:

In the dense forests of Earth, a new enemy stalks the trees...

Camouflaged to match the bark of these still giants, the Volnulyst strikes when least expected. They stay hidden, clinging to the tree trunks until an unsuspecting and unfortunate soul wanders by. Specialized for gliding short distances and stealth attacks, they leap from their perch and emit a cry that rattles your bones. Just smaller than the Corpus Osprey, they swarm their victim, latching on with their claws and inflicting wounds with their claws, wings, and jaws. Once one attaches, it becomes difficult to avoid the horde as they impair your mobility and speed.  I witnessed the demise of an entire Grineer hunting party but left before I became the next target.

Diania would have been fascinated with these creatures. She was always curious about the full adaptive capabilities of the Sentients.  I will have to study them further, they may prove to be useful.

But for now, it would be wise to keep a wary eye on the treetops.

- Cyrus

The Volnulyst is inspired by microraptors, thus the four "wings". Any feedback is welcome!

KHWxwTsr.jpg

Edited by LostEpoch

Microraptors...recall them giving me ideas years back when saw them during Walking with Dinosaurs (or Beasts).

As for work, excellent tonal balance and texture work, easy to follow where it flows from smooth to more rigid. Also, clever use of erasure near the wings to represent the light emission from them, what with it likely washing out the bark colour.

2 hours ago, Blakrana said:

Microraptors...recall them giving me ideas years back when saw them during Walking with Dinosaurs (or Beasts).

As for work, excellent tonal balance and texture work, easy to follow where it flows from smooth to more rigid. Also, clever use of erasure near the wings to represent the light emission from them, what with it likely washing out the bark colour.

They really are interesting creatures. And thank you!!