Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console Cross-play

(PSN)KrazyT101

Just now, BrazilianJoe said:

Wake up and smell the roses. Sony is explicit that it is starting off with Fortnite, but it will be allowed for other titles. It came in their announcement.

Look at what I quoted.
The guy asked, if he can take his Sony account and transfer it to Switch. This won't happen. (And btw. it has nothing to do with crossplay)

And crossplay won't happen, because of the different builds. Not even consoles update at the same time.
It could happen, but 2 consoles will always have to wait for the third console to update.
And crossplay with PC won't happen, because DE won't slow down PC and cert-process will never speed up.

So you should wake up.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)manaka421 said:

True and that’s why I’d rather not start over if we get at least something (PS4 to switch anyone) out of this cause the fact Sony caved at all is a big step for them if not crossplay what about account migration long and the short of it

There will never be a migration away from one console.
You progress on console is owned by the console's company. They will never allow something like that.

Edited by WhiteMarker

Sony has now announced that they are hopping on board with cross-play/cross-platform features for third party games! Cool! With this happening now, and maybe some cert changes for third party games, could will Warframe be available for cross-play/cross-platform across PC, XBox One and PlayStation 4? I really wanna' play with PC without abandoning PS4, and while yes I understand there might be a slight slowdown in updates for PC players, I feel like it would be for the better and unite the three (or soon to be four #Switch@6) sides of the community.

Historically speaking when DE developed Warframe on consoles they decided to start with PS4 to have the option for crossplay. DE quickly realized that due to the certification and difference in code that the PC and PS4 versions would rarely, if ever, reach parity. As a result crossplay was shelved by DE fairly early in the PS4 version's development. So no, this announcement by Sony will not affect Warframe much.

If anything there is a possibility for crossplay between PS4 and Xbox One but overall I see very little benefit for DE doing this so it probably won't happen.

Thank god you made another thread instead of checking if there may be one already.
The cert-process takes too much time, and PC won't get slowed down. So no crossplay between PC and consoles.
And even consoles update on different dates. So platforms will always have to wait in order for crossplay to work. And who wants that to happen?

And btw. imagine PC got updates at the same time as consoles. PC couldn't test new patches anymore.
Everyone would have to live with broken bugs for weeks... Yeah... that would be awesome... 

Larger playerbase w/ cross platform is great, but there are drastic separations between console variants. On PC platinum is valued lower so the economy would be wrecked. True cross play wouldn't exist for PC cause cert. Is there large separation between xbox & PS4 economies? I guess the switch account cloning could be an incubator for what happens when accounts intersect from prior console generations.

1 hour ago, Lewtenant said:

Larger playerbase w/ cross platform is great, but there are drastic separations between console variants. On PC platinum is valued lower so the economy would be wrecked. True cross play wouldn't exist for PC cause cert. Is there large separation between xbox & PS4 economies? I guess the switch account cloning could be an incubator for what happens when accounts intersect from prior console generations.

They could do it like most MMOs where you can group together and play but be unable to trade across servers/platforms. This would allow players to play together but leave each platform's economy unaffected by the others.

It seems some people are not aware that we are not talking rumors here. 

It has been confirmed by Sony itself that they are working not only on crossplay, but also on cross-progress, and cross-commerce as well, starting with Fortnite. 

It has been stated also that is not a special case for Fortnite only.

That means everyone sings kumbaya and plays together, but also, taking your progress and playing on other hardware, and paying for coins on one platform and spending on a different one.

They stated those 3 features explicitly and affirmed/admitted that crossplay provides value for the customer, and will work to ensure PS4 remains the best user experience.

Il y a 2 heures, WhiteMarker a dit :

Thank god you made another thread instead of checking if there may be one already.
The cert-process takes too much time, and PC won't get slowed down. So no crossplay between PC and consoles.
And even consoles update on different dates. So platforms will always have to wait in order for crossplay to work. And who wants that to happen?

And btw. imagine PC got updates at the same time as consoles. PC couldn't test new patches anymore.
Everyone would have to live with broken bugs for weeks... Yeah... that would be awesome... 

There’s no need for sarcasm, I said at the beginning of the original post that I’m bumbling through the forums for the first time and can’t read any of the buttons because they are in a language I do not understand. Also when I started writing the initial post I couldn’t find any other thread about it. 

Anyway, I never asked for cross-play between Pc and anyone else; it’s unreasonable to ask that and I understand that. 

Waiting a day or two, at most, so that updates can come to both consoles is a small price to pay if it means cross-play and/or cross-saves. You asked who wants that but I fail to imagine anyone on the consoles that doesn’t.

1 hour ago, xyberviri said:

Between Xbox and Switch maybe, playstation and xbox never, thats pretty apparent by the current fortnite situation.

I suggest you check out the link in the original post, it’s all about Sony’s most recent response to that situation; it actually puts the honus on DE to actually implement any of these changes. 

39 minutes ago, BrazilianJoe said:

It seems some people are not aware that we are not talking rumors here. 

It has been confirmed by Sony itself that they are working not only on crossplay, but also on cross-progress, and cross-commerce as well, starting with Fortnite. 

It has been stated also that is not a special case for Fortnite only.

That means everyone sings kumbaya and plays together, but also, taking your progress and playing on other hardware, and paying for coins on one platform and spending on a different one.

They stated those 3 features explicitly and affirmed/admitted that crossplay provides value for the customer, and will work to ensure PS4 remains the best user experience.

And still, you can't say for sure if something for Warframe happens.

Warframe and Fortnite are worlds apart.
Ask people on the street if they know Fortnite and Warframe. Which game is known by more people? Yes, Fortnite.
Fortnite is way bigger then Warframe. Fortnite is made by Epic Games, the guys that make the Unreal Engine.
Warframe comes from DE, a rather small company.
If Epic wants something, every company will help them. If DE wants something... yeah... DE could only hope to get it.
As harsh as it may sound, that's just how it is.

Then there is the fact, that Fortnite doesn't get big updates like Warframe does. (For example Melee 3.0 or Railjack.). Updates that drastically change the game.
This makes it difficult to balance versions between platforms.

And even if there is crossplay between the consoles, people will then ask for more. They will ask for crossplay with PC, what will not happen.
So DE would be better off to never have any crossplay.

Btw. Fortnite, as far as I know, doesn't have different content on different platforms. But Warframe does. (Console-exclusive skins)
How would cross-save work with that? You would lose your console-exclusive stuff if you switch to another console. This will make the customer experience truly wonderful.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

Historically speaking when DE developed Warframe on consoles they decided to start with PS4 to have the option for crossplay. DE quickly realized that due to the certification and difference in code that the PC and PS4 versions would rarely, if ever, reach parity. As a result crossplay was shelved by DE fairly early in the PS4 version's development. So no, this announcement by Sony will not affect Warframe much.

If anything there is a possibility for crossplay between PS4 and Xbox One but overall I see very little benefit for DE doing this so it probably won't happen.

I’ve been around since then so I understand the point but I see this situation as completely different. This whole cross-play debacle started when Epic accidentally inabled cross-play; that showed everyone just how easy it is to have cross-play. 

I suppose I’m more optimistic about DE than you are. After all, being one of the first to jump on the cross-platform train will cause nothing but good media coverage and free advertising which would likely increase new player counts. On top of that I’m sure there’s at least a couple thousand people that switched consoles — or that at least switched their primary console — at some point and dropped the game because they didn’t want to start over and/or pump so much money into the game again; I’m sure that many of the people would come back to the game if they could merge or transfer their accounts — again increasing player counts and recurrent spending. 

And as a little bonus, even the console warriors can get a kick out of showing off their exclusive skins and such to each other. Hell, that’d probably increase the sales of those cosmetics resulting in a win-win-win scenario. 

9 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

And still, you can't say for sure if something for Warframe happens.

Warframe and Fortnite are worlds apart.
Ask people on the street if they know Fortnite and Warframe. Which game is known by more people? Yes, Fortnite.
Fortnite is way bigger then Warframe. Fortnite is made by Epic Games, the guys that make the Unreal Engine.
Warframe comes from DE, a rather small company.
If Epic wants something, every company will help them. If DE wants something... yeah... DE could only hope to get it.
As harsh as it may sound, that's just how it is.

Then there is the fact, that Fortnite doesn't get big updates like Warframe does. (For example Melee 3.0 or Railjack.). Updates that drastically change the game.
This makes it difficult to balance versions between platforms.

And even if there is crossplay between the consoles, people will then ask for more. They will ask for crossplay with PC, what will not happen.
So DE would be better off to never have any crossplay.

Btw. Fortnite, as far as I know, doesn't have different content on different platforms. But Warframe does. (Console-exclusive skins)
How would cross-save work with that? You would lose your console-exclusive stuff if you switch to another console. This will make the customer experience truly wonderful.

People have been asking for cross-play with pc ever since the ps4 version was announced; them continuing to ask for the impossible isn’t going to change anything. Aside from that, this could be a massive marketing push for Warframe and DE; DE already has a longstanding reputation of being consumer friendly and this would only further that imagine. 

Btw, Fortnite absolutely has console — and even phone — specific skins so I feel like it’d be no different for Warframe; the console warriors will show off and the collectors will buy more. The incentive is definitely there for DE to make a move.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)KrazyT101 said:

People have been asking for cross-play with pc ever since the ps4 version was announced; them continuing to ask for the impossible isn’t going to change anything. Aside from that, this could be a massive marketing push for Warframe and DE; DE already has a longstanding reputation of being consumer friendly and this would only further that imagine. 

And at what cost?
DO you really think Sony does all this because they are nice? Do you really think they are doing this to do Epic a favor?
Epic has to pay for this to happen.
So would DE. And do you think DE has the money?
Again, DE is such a small company, and Warframe is such a small game. The feedback is just not there.

Crossplay just will not happen.

3 hours ago, (XB1)RDeschain82 said:

I would love to play with some of you on PS4@(PS4)robotwars7

so would I, but unfortunately, with the way Sony and Microsoft usually are towards each other, I doubt it will ever happen. besides, won't you likely be wrapped up in Red Dead Redemption 2 after October? it's set to be the greatest Western videogame since.. well, Red Dead Redemption lol.

4 hours ago, WhiteMarker said:

There will never be a migration away from one console.
You progress on console is owned by the console's company. They will never allow something like that.

Actually, our progress is hosted by, and owned by, DE. I haven’t read the fine print of the contract but I know that DE pays for, and maintains, the servers. This is proven by the fact that even when psn is down, Warframe still works, but if Warframe is down, the game doesn’t work. 

Also, in Sony’s statement, they clearly state that they are going to experiment with cross-saves as well as cross-play.

2 hours ago, (PS4)KrazyT101 said:

I’ve been around since then so I understand the point but I see this situation as completely different. This whole cross-play debacle started when Epic accidentally inabled cross-play; that showed everyone just how easy it is to have cross-play. 

I suppose I’m more optimistic about DE than you are. After all, being one of the first to jump on the cross-platform train will cause nothing but good media coverage and free advertising which would likely increase new player counts. On top of that I’m sure there’s at least a couple thousand people that switched consoles — or that at least switched their primary console — at some point and dropped the game because they didn’t want to start over and/or pump so much money into the game again; I’m sure that many of the people would come back to the game if they could merge or transfer their accounts — again increasing player counts and recurrent spending. 

And as a little bonus, even the console warriors can get a kick out of showing off their exclusive skins and such to each other. Hell, that’d probably increase the sales of those cosmetics resulting in a win-win-win scenario. 

Parity is the issue though. I mean let's say a patch that PC has changes the stats for a warframe ability, or tweaks the drop chance of a relic. How can a console player crossplay when they don't have that patch yet?

Also, account transfers are simply copies of the account from a designated time/date. They are not actually the same account being used on each platform which is what Epic is doing.

Sure, it is possible but given that Warframe wasn't coded with this in mind from the start it would be very difficult for DE to simply turn it on like Epic did.

2 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

besides, won't you likely be wrapped up in Red Dead Redemption 2 after October? it's set to be the greatest Western videogame since.. well, Red Dead Redemption lol.

I will play mucho RD2, but I'd still play some frame. Just my usual tho. A tri cap or 2, run the Sortie, adopt a newb.. Also those events that always come back around like plague star, Acolytes would be fun to rock with u. 

Not to mention those new elite alerts coming would make me switch over from RD2 and back on some frame. 

Edited by (XB1)RDeschain82