Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Coming Soon: Devstream #117!

[DE]Rebecca

Heya George-   How about more in-depth audio adjustments?  Been playing for a few years, and my hearing was already going prior. So.. could you put in a 'siren/alarm' volume in the options menu?  Plz?!? and thank you. It's just that after a 30 min interception.. I still hear them for 2 hours..  Let alone after a 2hr one    Dx  

Again.. Thank you in advance if you can or will.

-Zatcharias

Question for Steve:

The EE continues to be improved by the team. New techniques have been added to the renderer quite regularly over the years, and an entirely new renderer is seemingly in the works (RIP DX9?).

However, an area where Warframe lacks severely compared to pretty much all its contemporaries is with the way Warframe handles animations, and animation transitions (not to say that the animation work isn't top class). IK is pretty much an industry standard, however, Warframe only employs IK on the Eidolon's, and the coming large spiders. The Warframes themselves, for which the title draws its name, bare no sign of this technique (and it's even worse for the operators who have such wide gaits, and stances). 

I've been asking this question since 2014 (iirc) and it was looking dated back then. Since then, Cinematic quests have established themselves as a routine content drop. The quality of these content drops are of a pretty high cailber for this genre. That being said, watching the way Warframe janks about when a player is in control is jarring when we switch to the smooth choreographed work from the animators.

Does the team have any plan to address this, and keep these animations systems up to date?

I have to add, while i really enjoy playing Warframe, I can't stand to watch it be played. This goes doubly for PrimeTime and Devstreams - Warframe looks incredibly janky in motion when i can't filter out the moment to moment action. From transitions between floors, stairs, and crests. The odd way the frames levitate on the edge all objects. To the way they just float away when the player relinquishes control. The system seems to be showing its age. I'm pretty sure the walk also animation has a point where both feet are off the ground and the frame is floating forwards.

For anyone reading this wondering what Inverse Kinematics(IK) is, it's this:

Fig-3-FK-vs-IK.gif

The right image shows how modern engines typically handle a model reacting to a 'world'. This is typically done on the fly in real-time. 

Warframe is still doing that odd song and dance on the left - You can test this yourself in-game with any large box. Stand on top of the box, and move slowly towards the edge. At some point, the entire mass of the warframe will be held up by nothing, yet the frame retains the same standard pose.

Another example, but in a game:

$

Notice a subtle shift in the way the model moves from running down a hill at the start, to a normal(ish) canter from around halfway - pay attention to what the models legs do (short steps, weight placed of front foot as stepping, while on incline at start. Transition to normal stride when plane plateaus). Keep in mind, this was pulled off on a PS3 with 256MB RAM (not even a whole GB).

An equivalent in-game example from Warframe can be observed in the plains; running up a mountain, down a slope, or over a crest. It does not matter what you are doing, or what the ground beneath the frames feet does, the same single animation loop repeats endlessly.

Vauban revisit? I like the charged balls (Giggety) But Bastille is still not functioning well. 

Excited to hear about fortuna stuff, can't wait for Moas any thoughts on adding more companions such as birds or fortuna wildLife?  Since the reveal of what is "Inside a warframe" we have been using the tenno whom is very young. Will the Operator ever grow up? Become older/Wiser and stronger? 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Black_Wings68 said:

Vauban revisit? I like the charged balls (Giggety) But Bastille is still not functioning well. 

Excited to hear about fortuna stuff, can't wait for Moas any thoughts on adding more companions such as birds or fortuna wildLife?  Since the reveal of what is "Inside a warframe" we have been using the tenno whom is very young. Will the Operator ever grow up? Become older/Wiser and stronger? 

No they can't because They lost the Ability to Age when going Thru Void

I have been a longtime player on PS4 (since the time of the Cicero Crisis), and been witness to the evolution of the game and its interface over the years.  Originally, the default controller setup had the activation of your warframe's powers assigned to the PS4 controller's "swipe pad", which didn't work very reliably for me--as such, I reassigned the 4 powers to the different directions of the "D-pad" buttons, which worked far better!  This controller setup has withstood many changes to the game, and works particularly well with the addition of tap/hold powers with variable function (such as Vauban's Minelayer, Ivara's Quiver, and Khora's Venari).  However, as time has gone on and more functionality has been added to the game, the number of console controller buttons available for mapping player input to has been stretched thin!

Last year, I ran into another game that featured a rather unique feature (I thought) that I had not previously seen in the "shooter" genre--by pressing the R3 button on the controller, it switched which side of the body the player was aiming from, allowing the player to aim from behind cover from either the left -or- right side!  This really added to the gameplay experience, and was a feature I felt would fit very well into Warframe!  Then I discovered that it already was in Warframe, hidden in the menus as a mappable controller function called "Reverse Camera"... but I had no button available on which to put this feature, without sacrificing some other much-needed functionality.

So this leads to my question (and the TL;DR of it all):

With the addition of "press and hold" button functionality for powers (such as the aforementioned Vauban's Minelayer, Ivara's Quiver, etc), and since there are options to "double-up" controller button functions (like the optional setting in the Controls menu "Context Action includes Reload"), could you PLEASE add another option that enables pressing and holding the Context Action button to activate the "Reverse Camera" feature, swapping which shoulder the camera is viewing from?

What kind of rewards will we get for new eidolon (flying one) and the biggest spider tanks?  Will it be comparable in usefulness to energize and grace?

Can arcane barrier get a buff? Or weaker arcanes in general get another pass.

Will railjack be just a new mission type or will we get a new system and change? For example is it just the next version of sabotage? 

Can we get appearance loadouts for our ships like operators will receive? 

Why does CPU and GPU usage drop substantially when playing with 4 player.s? Noticed it the most during plague star in 2nd phase defense section adn boss fight. My CPU would only be at 40% and GPU went to low 20-35%. I have a mid range pc and this doesn't happen in any other games I play. Happens when you are host or when you are client

Please no more poop hunts im pretty sure only [DE]Reb is excited about it.

Would much prefer a more in depth look at the "Kit System", A Railjack progress update and Melee 3.0 Rework instead of a third or fourth K-drive focused Devstream.

While i like K-drives they seem to have been the focus of the last few Devstreams.

It would be nice to see more of Fortuna itself and what it can offer in terms of Lore and mixing up gameplay, Like for instance will we be able to hijack the Cycle Vehicles the Corpus troops drive?

Also, will the Railjack Ships be modular like Zaws & Kitguns or will it be preset like a warframe is?

Will our operators ever get a "Shield Harness" to give them Shields ,A Jetpack?, Non-Amp weapons like rifles allowing actual damage to enemies other than Sentient/Stalker. and Cover system while using them since they lack a Warframes mobility like how the Corpus or Grineer use cover? It seems like it would be an interesting way to shake up Combat for those that want to use them in regular missions. Moddable Amps and the Pipe dream that is Non-warframe Transference?

Excited for the stream none the less. 👍

Why not leave melee as is, and introduce a new system of melee for all newer going forward. The channeling mods, arcanes, set bonuses , focuses ARE Extensive and deeply layered, it is frightening how messing with that could be disasterous and surely seem unfair to so many people in all aspects of its implementation. Seemingly the zaw system is already an opportunity to branch from.

Archived