Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lack of content can be avoided if DE allow user-made plugins\mods

Atekron

Just look at Skyrim - this game is from 2011 and still in a not bad state, and main reason for this is vast number of plugins. I do understand that Warfare is online game and it will require more reviews, authorization, monetization, etc. But, even approach that Bethesda took with Fallout 4, creation club and paid mode would be not that bad for Warframe.

7 minutes ago, Atekron said:

Just look at Skyrim - this game is from 2011 and still in a not bad state, and main reason for this is vast number of plugins. I do understand that Warfare is online game and it will require more reviews, authorization, monetization, etc. But, even approach that Bethesda took with Fallout 4, creation club and paid mode would be not that bad for Warframe.

Could you please clarify what plugins are in that game or what are you referring to as plugins?
The only online game I played which had plugins was (and still is) World of Warcraft, and even if plugins may be very useful, they do not add content to the game.

Edited by Prepotenza

And how exactly would it work?
How trivial would these "mods" need to be so that they aren't too disruptive?
There honestly isn't much that you can do outside of changing how something looks....which is essentially tennogen that we already have that goes through a review and voting process to make it into the game.

It's not like you can just change how anything functions because then there comes all sorts of problems with joining someones game and having a "mod" that changes how something works because pure chaos would ensue.

So what would these "mods" actually be able to do?

Community created/influenced content is a big part of Warframe, but to fit the existing game, and especially economy because a huge part of the rely on farming and selling what you farm, they need to ensure everything is balanced on their vision and they can allow anything to be ingame without double checking it, without speaking about potential issues in users code.

Also, they want people to be paid for they work and that's what Tennogen is but as they want the game to be completely F2P, they can't allow players to do warframe rework/tileset like it has been suggested.

I think additionnal content fully made by players in warframe will remain cosmetics because of these.

26 minutes ago, Atekron said:

Completely different kind of game. Skyrim is a single-player, offline game. Warframe is a multiplayer online game.

Whatever mods were allowed, would have to work across multiple platforms and in order for them to work in a team-based game like Warframe, all players would have to have them installed. Not everyone trusts third party software and even if they do, it could cause glitches with their particular hardware setup.

Unless these mods were designed purely for solo play, they would have to be fully integrated into the main game build...and I don't see DE allowing that. If they were somehow separated from the main game, then anything you did would have no effect on your main game account...no credits or resources etc.

The only mods I've seen for MMO games were cosmetic...changing the look of the UI...and of course cheat mods...which opens a whole other can of worms *has flashbacks to World of Tanks*

If DE enabled the client interface to accept mods, they could be opening the floodgates to all kinds of content. Tennogen can be carefully vetted before its accepted. Opening up the client interface can have all kinds of unwanted consequences.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

14 minutes ago, Prepotenza said:

Could you please clarify what plugins are in that game or what are you referring to as plugins?
The only online game I played which had plugins was (and still is) World of Warcraft, and even if plugins may be very useful, they do not add content to the game.

maps, missions, weapons, practically anything,  easily plug on/off modules

17 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

And how exactly would it work?
How trivial would these "mods" need to be so that they aren't too disruptive?
There honestly isn't much that you can do outside of changing how something looks....which is essentially tennogen that we already have that goes through a review and voting process to make it into the game.

It's not like you can just change how anything functions because then there comes all sorts of problems with joining someones game and having a "mod" that changes how something works because pure chaos would ensue.

So what would these "mods" actually be able to do?

well, you said it - moderation and review, maybe pool of trusted/certified creators

I do agree that there will be a lot of limitation, but maps and mission can easily be integrated

You really didn't think this one through, did you?

HOWEVER, while mods are a dumb idea that would only induce cheating and exploitation to the mix and basically ruin the experience for everyone... I did play Neverwinter, and that game allows you to make a buttload of stuff with an in-game editor. So... that would be one way, and if the Kingpin and custom clan missions system would drop soon, it would be a thing we already had. For now, we have it in the construction phase, and other than an ominous "SoonTM", who knows when it's coming out.

5 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Whatever mods were allowed, would have to work across multiple platforms and in order for them to work in a team-based game like Warframe, all players would have to have them installed. Not everyone trusts third party software and even if they do, it could cause glitches with their particular hardware setup.

warframe not work across all platforms, imagine new mission node, but only players with enabled plugins see it, and those plugins definetly shuould be in some sort of app store

8 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Unless these mods were designed purely for solo play, they would have to be fully integrated into the main game build...and I don't see DE allowing that. If they were somehow separated from the main game, then anything you did would have no effect on your main game account...no credits or resources etc.

some of them can be for solo play only, and with major updates creator should update or they will be mark as deprecated

12 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Tennogen can be carefully vetted before its accepted. 

tennogen so carefully curated because it's always new models/textures, plugins generally use existing game engine/kit to arrange existing contents in new way

29 minutes ago, Atekron said:

warframe not work across all platforms, imagine new mission node, but only players with enabled plugins see it, and those plugins definetly shuould be in some sort of app store

some of them can be for solo play only, and with major updates creator should update or they will be mark as deprecated

tennogen so carefully curated because it's always new models/textures, plugins generally use existing game engine/kit to arrange existing contents in new way

So what you're essentially suggesting is DLC packs, as offered by many other games...except that these would be player-created, rather than official content from the developer?

Can you imagine the outcry that would cause...all the "pay to play" posts that would flood the forum, if DE started allowing other creators to start producing content that you had to pay for?

I could see some sense in it if DE took a cut of the profits...but even then, I imagine the vast majority of the player base would not take this kindly, given they've been used to having full access to all mission / map content for free.

And as far as keeping the mods updated...you already see the game getting regular updates every few days. Do we really need the extra hassle of having to wait for updates to the DLC from a separate source?

1 hour ago, Atekron said:

Just look at Skyrim - this game is from 2011 and still in a not bad state, and main reason for this is vast number of plugins. I do [NOT] understand that Warfare is online game and it will require more reviews, authorization, monetization, etc. But, even approach that Bethesda took with Fallout 4, creation club and paid mode would be not that bad for Warframe.

Says understand WF is an online game, cites a single player game as base of argument....

Spoiler

C-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.pngC-pFlKnUwAATDvo.png

[FTFY]

TC.... grab a cuppa coffee, splash yer face with some cold water, eat a wholesome breakfast then reread your OP. 

This is without a doubt the most a**backwards logic I've seen in years, sweet tap dancin' baby Buddha that was a good laugh....

52 minutes ago, Atekron said:

I do agree that there will be a lot of limitation, but maps and mission can easily be integrated

39 minutes ago, Atekron said:

So basically "Hey, lets have players create missions that people have to pay for!"
And what?  If those missions are more rewarding than generally available content then you've created essentially a P2W type of scenario.
If those missions aren't more rewarding than generally available content then why would anyone purchase them?  Especially since they would have to be purchased with IRL money and not plat like tennogen if the creators are to get paid (and if the creators aren't getting paid why would anyone create a mission?)

This introduces a lot of problems and imbalances between the people who can afford such content and the people who cant....
And DE has done a good job so far of avoiding P2W, and this idea would undo all of their work avoiding it.

52 minutes ago, Atekron said:

weapons

Same exact problem applies here.
Except now people can just pay real money and get to MR30 in no time at all...and well before DE has time to create the MR tests for those ranks.

And again this would just create a major P2W scenario.
Either the weapons are good enough that they are better than generally available content, or they aren't so why buy them?

EDIT:
One more thing: could you imagine the outcry that would happen with Rivens with these weapons?  What if you got a Riven for a weapon that you had to buy, with real money mind you, especially for newer players that didn't know about that restriction?
That woudln't be good times for anyone involved.  You would have people being tricked out of plat for a Riven that they literally can't use, and may never be able to, as well as even more disappointment when unveiling a Riven...

Edited by Tsukinoki

Unlikely. Warframe's an online game remember. And the first thing we'd get is a ludicrously OP weapon that's basically the ignis but with 500% base crit, 10X crit multiplier, 100% status and deals as much base damage as the Opticor.

Overpowered mods like that are good for a laugh, but they'd break an online game.

1 minute ago, Escapements said:

well non of that matter since you're cant just add your own mods to the game without getting them reviewed and approved by DE team just like Tennogen 'Cosmetics' that dose not even 

effect the core the game

and moddres will work within DE guidelines if they want they're mods/weapons/mission modes/etc to be voted and accepted into the game (just like tennogen), and even then , DE will

100% make they're own touch and adjustment to them anyway so

i'll say give us the development tools to miss around with the game just like skyrim/fallout/etc , you have nothing to lose DE ^^ .

If it was done as a Tennogen system... maybe.

But, I don't know how well DE would react, because it could start messing up their vision for the game.

Mods work on online games, just look at space engineers.

Host enables mods from steam workshop on his "server" (squad in this case) and everyone else downloads them automatically. Mod configs are saved locally for consistency.

Client side mods (hud changes, visuals, audio, ..) should (?) work regardless of the squad or host though.

Personally I'd like to see the latter happening. I'm not really for other kind of mods (content).

There are better ways to take the community's creativity into content for the game.

Just now, Escapements said:

well non of that matter since you're cant just add your own mods to the game without getting them reviewed and approved by DE team just like Tennogen

'Cosmetics' that dose not even effect the core the game

and modders will work within DE guidelines if they want they're mods/weapons/mission modes/etc to be voted and accepted into the game (just like tennogen), and

even then , DE will 100% make they're own touch and adjustment to them anyway so

i would say,  give us the development tools to miss around with the game just like skyrim/fallout/etc , you have nothing to lose DE ^^ .

But that still has the problem of:
Either the weapon/mod/mission is better than what is generally available, so it becomes P2W for the people that can afford it (and with real money not plat)
Or the weapon/mod/mission isn't better...and why buy it at that point?  Aside from having a P2P MR rank at that point?

And even with the last "weapon rebalance" tweak we got DE still has problems with weapon balance...so how would they be able to avoid P2W?  And at the same time making it good enough so that people would be willing to pay real money for it?

And then there's the whole issue of clashing purely Pay-2-Play content into a game that has everything (aside from cosmetics) available to players whether they are willing to pay a dime or not....
The community wouldn't react well in the least.

It would probably work, but let's change things,
Mods themselves would not work, if the warframe servers were Private or personal, (as in minecraft or Terraria) would work, because you would only be subject to the mod, in an online game where everyone is on the same server, would not.

Now the Plugins would work and solve several "people problems", that is, if you have a problem with something, you activate a Plugin and solve, but the person who does not have this problem would not need that same plugin.

But for this to work perfectly the DE would have to analyze these plugins before, and only the accepted plugins would be added in the "Plugins Library" of the game,

We have systems of plugins in games like Trove, this prevents that the DE has to spend time stirring in small things and still the players would solve and improve the game of optional form