Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"But lots of frames have bad first abilities."

MickThejaguar

Can we finally bury this stupid argument? I've hated it for longest time because it's literally excusing having poorly designed abilities and it becomes less and less applicable with each new frame release/rework. We've reached a point in warframe where we have enough frames with good 1st that this excuse just doesn't cut it anymore and it should not be looked at as unreasonable to demand that every ability on every frame be worth using to some degree. And I'm not saying all 1st abilities should be able to one shot lvl 150 Corrupted Bombards or anything like that. But the excuse "X is bad so it's okay for Y to also be bad" needs to die in a ditch.

2 minutes ago, angias said:

Wut? Nekros and wukong's one are kinda weak but they are not bad.

Wukong will be reworked soon.

Excalibur is not bad nor it is weak.

Nekros' is only useful with an Augment. Otherwise, it deals less damage than Wukong's 1, and that might as well be someone poking someone with a marshmallow.

Excalibur's is awful for multiple reasons. It's unpredictable, it can't proc Crit or Status, it's hardly buffed at all by his other abilities, etc.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Graysmog said:

Nekros' is only useful with an Augment. Otherwise, it deals less damage than Wukong's 1, and that might as well be someone poking someone with a marshmallow.

Remember how cool they made it look in the Prime Trailer. xD xD XD (I was brand new back then, so I bought into it. =w=")

my idea of perfect first abilities (note that this is being thought up of late at night and in a hurry)

Ash's Shuriken - more or less as it is now, but costing less when thrown during bladestorm, and more are thrown at once.

Atlas' Landslide - fine as it is.

Banshee's Sonic Boom - damage and range buff, should stun enemies for a little while by deafening them, maybe open them up to finishers.

Chroma's Spectral Scream - reduced energy cost, increased damage and range, guaranteed element Proc.

Ember's Fireball - increased damage, leaves additional fire patch on whatever it hits.

Equinox's Metamorphosis - technically shouldn't be changed due to how she works, but I've been playing a fair bit of Equinox recently and I wouldn't mind her egtting a "neutral" battle mdoe, that takes both day and night abilities and uses them together, but at only half strength each. so for example with her ult, in neutral form you'd both Mend and Maim, but you wouldn't deal as much damage or heal as much health as you would if you dedicated yourself to one of her forms. first ability could become a wheel toggle like Ivara, between day/night/Neutral. just an idea anyway.

Excalibur's Slash Dash - reduced or removed energy cost if cast while using Exalted Blade. (sword's out already so why not?)

Frost's Freeze - increased slowing effect, second cast should always freeze enemies solid.

Gara's Shattered Lash - more or less fine as it scales with melee, maybe give increased slash proc chance.

Harrow's Condemn - wider range, enemies take more headshot damage.

Hydroid's Tempest Barrage - makes surrounding area after casting slippy, causing enemies to fall over.

Inaros' Dessicate - fine as it is.

Ivara's Quiver - pretty much needs a tweak to all of her arrows, that's for another time.

Khora's Whipclaw - more or less fine, maybe have the proc of her current damage (Slash/Offense, Puncture/Heal, Impact/Protect) be guaranteed.

Limbo's Banish - probably needs looking at in conjunction with the rift as a whole, another time maybe.

Loki's Decoy - change it so Decoy health no longer scales off power strength. make it a hologram instead that draws fire without taking damage.

Mag's Pull - increase damage, disarm enemies affected.

Mesa's Ballistic battery - replace with "Quickdraw: Mesa pulls out one regulator, shoots the nearest enemy in the face dealing full Peacemaker damage and holsters again, all in the blink of an eye. designed to finish off enemies and as a low cost single target alternative to Peacemaker.

Mirage's Hall of Mirrors - instead of them all sticking close to her and making her remain vulnerable to AoE attacks, the decoys could move about freely to draw agro from enemeis and confuse them (maybe throw some taunts in there as well to add to her personality!)

Nekros' Soul punch - punching an enemy's soul out of their body makes them a Shadow for a little while.

Nezha's Fire Walker - increased damage and range, guaranteed elemental proc, increased efficiency.

Nidus' Virulence - fine as it is, as it scales.

Nyx's Mind Control - casting on an ally buffs their damage for a while, I'll leave more details to DE since she's up for reworking soon.

Oberon's Smite - guaranteed radiation Proc, otherwise fine as is.

Octavia's Mallet - complex due to Mandachord tie-in, will leave that one for now as well.

Rhino's Charge - a little more damage, though i wouldn't mind it being changed to something that has more weight to it, where you charge it up and then shoulder-barge into an enemy at max sprint speed, dealing massive impact damage, and even more damage if Iron Skin is up. would love the effect of turning enemies into red mist, but that's probably not for everyone.

Saryn's Spores - fine as it is

Trinity's Well of Life - increased healing and range.

Valkyr's Rip Line - should deal high slash damage to enemies, maybe give players the freedom to grab and then launch enemies to another location with it (like Doc Ock or something)

Vauban's Tesla  -guaranteed electric proc (got it), but more damage would be nice.

Volt's Shock - change to Emperor Palpatine lightning mode, make it a toggle where Volt constantly emits lighting drainign energy over time but dealing high electric DPS and guaranteed proc. UNLIMITED POWER!!

Wukong - idk, he's getting reworked anyway.

Zephyr - fine as is.

48 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Volt's Shock - change to Emperor Palpatine lightning mode, make it a toggle where Volt constantly emits lighting drainign energy over time but dealing high electric DPS and guaranteed proc. UNLIMITED POWER!!

All my yes all of it 

27 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

As funny as I find this, no. Volt's 1st is actually fine. It's meant to be small area CC, not a destructive barrage of Sith lightning.

29 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Ember's Fireball - increased damage, leaves additional fire patch on whatever it hits.

It's kinda already does something similar if you charge it.

31 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Mag's Pull - increase damage, disarm enemies affected.

It's just CC. No more damage needed.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Graysmog said:

Excalibur's is awful for multiple reasons. It's unpredictable, it can't proc Crit or Status, it's hardly buffed at all by his other abilities, etc.

But lots of frames have bad first abilities. 

Nekro's one should just instant kill non-boss. How OP would that be?

Answer: not very much in a mob shooter as a whole but can become useful against certain types of enemies.

Edited by wtflag

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Saryn's Spores - fine as it is

Stopped reading right here. 

Spores right now is arguably THE most most powerful 1 out there, to the point where it actually rivals some Ults in terms of being able to kill large numbers of mooks in a short time span. For a 1, it's stupidly broken and overpowered. No starting ability should be able to wipe a room.

I wish I could upvote you more than once.  I've seen a lot of people use this excuse for bad first abilities, and it just doesn't make sense.  Why would first abilities exist if they were meant to be bad?  Why put the effort into animating them, making sounds for them, and coming up with mechanics behind them if they serve no purpose?  It's such a silly argument and I agree that it does indeed need to die in a ditch.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Nighthawk2060 said:

I think its more how you use it, like rhino mains, no joke intended. It depends on how you use him if you think he is just a tank, no he is a tanky support. His roar ability is overlooked, and is looked at as an early tank by newer players. Charge is probably useful to somebody, but not this guy.

On it's own it's a sub par ability but it's actually extremely good with it's augment. The augment makes you stack armor per enemy hit, so if you Charge a group and then use Iron Skin it actually increases the Iron Skin health pool significantly.