On engagement (Post Sacrifice)

(PSN)teacup775

The Sacrifice pulled the rug out from what is the barest of rationals to do missions (other than popping ai heads, prime loot or standing). 

The balance of power? For what end? Who cares? "Because space mom says so". We have brutal clone thugs or brutal commercial overlords or zombie hordes. The infested a clear existential threat. The corrupted are eh.. house dogs that get riled up by intruders. Otherwise not relevant. 

We have factions that are stagnant lore wise and inert wrt ongoing quest lines.

We kill to further a psychotic AI's "research" to save the lives of "billions". 

We have the "man in the wall" we were to thwart... still waiting for him to show up.

And the Unum.

How about some story line crumbs?

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but maybe relating to the "story line crumbs" you mentioned: 

I would really love to see a story/quest progression between Sacrifice and New War.
Something showing our character reflecting on past events (Sacrifice) and getting prepared for the future (TNW)
I think it would flow better than just "months of nothing, suddenly everything".

Of course having other things happening in the meantime (Unum, Wally, Fortuna, Queens Pt.2) would be great too.

36 minutes ago, Shifted said:

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but maybe relating to the "story line crumbs" you mentioned: 

I would really love to see a story/quest progression between Sacrifice and New War.
Something showing our character reflecting on past events (Sacrifice) and getting prepared for the future (TNW)
I think it would flow better than just "months of nothing, suddenly everything".

Of course having other things happening in the meantime (Unum, Wally, Fortuna, Queens Pt.2) would be great too.

That stands to reason, just as Sacrifice had a prologue with the alternately named 'Apostasy Prologue' perhaps it needs an Epilogue to introduce the new mechanics and areas to be introduced with the third cinematic quest.

(spoilers ahead)

That's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. In the beginning we do things because Lotus saved us from Vor and explained some vague things about the "balance of power", after that we discover she's been hiding a lot from us but we forgive her because she's our space mom and saves us again from Hunhow and Stalker... Whom basically she unleashed upon us in the first place... 

After TWW and TCoH and all the creepy things that happen there, Ballas shows up and she just leaves with him. From then on, we're basically following Ordis' orders. Ordis! As much as I love him he's not right in the head. Now we know Lotus, Ballas and Hunhow were allies all along and she's back to being Natah even if she looks a little bit conflicted about it. 

So the thing is... What are we actually doing?? We know almost nothing about the colonies, about the organization of the Tenno faction, about why we're fighting. At this point we're basically overpowered mass murdering space pirates, which is cool but doesn't have much of a point. 

Where I'm getting at is: the emotional backlash of the latest quests, as interesting from an artistic point of view as it is, creates a disengagement from the game and I think is a good part of the content riot going on right now. 

Personally I need to know what the objective of the Tenno faction is, why are we doing what we are doing and I really need to stop seeing fake Lotus on screen.