Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Gaming Laptop and Controller Combo?

ZargonKing

Hey fellow Tenno,

So this has been on my mind lately(as well as on my hands) but what gaming laptop and controller combo would you fellow gamers recommend?

I'm personally looking for a powerful type with a good controller combo

I'm personally looking for a lower price range of 1.5k to 1.7k AUD

It's alright to recommend a higher budget laptop and controller as I may wish to upgrade in the far future

Edited by ZargonKing
Budget clarification

11 minutes ago, ZargonKing said:

So this has been on my mind lately(as well as on my hands) but what gaming laptop and controller combo would you fellow gamers recommend?

I was using an Acer Predator 17" laptop with XB1 Wireless controller for a while. Seemed to work well.

• The controller is plug and play. Just connect to bluetooth and away you go.
  • Laptop would run anything I asked it to without any unexpected issues.

You might want to specify the budget and stat preferences.

Links to Amazon pages for examples:

Laptop ~2300 USD

Controller ~60 USD

3 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I was using an Acer Predator 17" laptop with XB1 Wireless controller for a while. Seemed to work well.

• The controller is plug and play. Just connect to bluetooth and away you go.
  • Laptop would run anything I asked it to without any unexpected issues.

You might want to specify the budget and stat preferences.

Links to Amazon pages for examples:

Laptop ~2300 USD

Controller ~60 USD

I'm actually looking for a budget range of 1.5k to 1.7k AUD but anything outside the range is acceptable as I may wish to upgrade the laptop in the far future

2 minutes ago, (XB1)motionROTATION said:

I know nothing of PCs (including my own) but I can recommend the Xbox one controller. It fits larger hands easier than a PS4 imo. Other non-console controllers I don’t know much about. 

I see, gameplay wise for POE, Arc-Wing and Casual PVE, what's it like using a controller?

Even with laptops I find you can't beat a keyboard & mouse...

Its one of the reasons I stopped playing consoles...controllers just never felt quite right - or gave you as much flexibility. On that score, anything by Logitech should be pretty sound. You can get solid gear that'll last a while, without paying ridiculous prices.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

1 minute ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Even with laptops I find you can't beat a keyboard & mouse...

Its one of the reasons I stopped playing consoles...controllers just never felt quite right - or gave you as much flexibility.

I agree but personally, I want to use a controller to avoid getting the pain aches on my left hand. I regularly take breaks from it but I feel having a controller would help me personally. Every player has their own preference

The only info you give here is "powerful" and the price range. Info's you should give are:

- Display (size, matt, glare, resolution)

- Storage (HDD needed?)

- Keyboard (mechanical needed? - Yes that exists, even with laptops, lighting, numpad needed?)

- Case (color, bezel, fingerprintscanner, ect,)

- Connectivity (USBc/DisplayPort needed)

- Size (need for portability?)

29 minutes ago, BoarWarrior said:

Anything else but Lenovo laptop. Those have serious mic issues and no known solutions. I had to refund mine and get a new one for that reason.

So the only problem with Lenovo laptops is the mic? I would instantly buy one in this case. Who uses the inbuilt mic anyways? Captures everything including typing... and sounds like trash in general. Just slap a mod mic for like 20 bucks on your headphones and there you go, if you don't have the money for a good separate mic.

Lenovo is alright. There are much worse options imo.

Edited by Xintaur

4 minutes ago, Xintaur said:

The only info you give here is "powerful" and the price range. Info's you should give are:

- Display (size, matt, glare, resolution)

- Storage (HDD needed?)

- Keyboard (mechanical needed? - Yes that exists, even with laptops, lighting, numpad needed?)

- Case (color, bezel, fingerprintscanner, ect,)

- Connectivity (USBc/DisplayPort needed)

- Size (need for portability?)

So the only problem with Lenovo laptops is the mic? I would instantly buy one in this case. Who uses the inbuilt mic anyways? Captures everything including typing... and sounds like trash in general. Just slap a mod mic for like 20 bucks on your headphones and there you go, if you don't have the money for a good separate mic.

Lenovo is alright. There are much worse options imo.

The thing is I made it broad since I don't fully understand it from a tech perspective, I'm trying to look for recommendations from gamers who actually know this stuff better than me

2 minutes ago, ZargonKing said:

The thing is I made it broad since I don't fully understand it from a tech perspective, I'm trying to look for recommendations from gamers who actually know this stuff better than me

I got that, but i am sure you have some general idea of the size and appeareance of the laptop. And if you need more space than a SSD can offer you (250 to 1000GB). The things i wanted to know don't have a lot to do with tech. Also if you never used a mechanical keyboard you probably don't need it.

37 minutes ago, ZargonKing said:

I agree but personally, I want to use a controller to avoid getting the pain aches on my left hand. I regularly take breaks from it but I feel having a controller would help me personally. Every player has their own preference

Ah, okay.

Anyway, as far as laptops go, I would look at higher-spec models by the likes of ASUS, Acer or MSI. MSI do actual "gaming laptops" that are decently spec'd, while being cheaper than the top-end stuff (e.g. Alienware, Razer etc.) which can go up to 3-4 grand.

ASUS also have their "ROG" range but those are pretty pricey. I would stick to their regular high spec models.

42 minutes ago, ZargonKing said:

I see, gameplay wise for POE, Arc-Wing and Casual PVE, what's it like using a controller?

Personally I prefer controller. I recently started up an account on PC to redo all the early missions and try to get a new player perspective. And I tried using keyboard and mouse but I’ve found that Warframe has too many buttons for me. I even customized my controls and it never felt fluid. 

As for the controller, I’ve customized that too and my only “complaint” is that melee is awkward, but it’s only awkward in that I can’t leave my thumb on the analog stick and swing at the same time. You could mitigate this by leaving it on R1, but I like power flexibility more so I put it there and all I ever do is mash melee (I hate stances), so it was a good trade off for me. 

As for Archwing, I didn’t have Archwing prior to switching to controller so I don’t know how it feels keyboard and mouse, but for me it’s not too bad. You just have to hit sprint to go fast, L1/R3 to go lightspeed, and then just hit sprint again if you wish to aim properly. It feels kind of awkward but doesn’t all of Archwing? I have not tried the expiremental controls. 

As for regular missions, my control scheme is reconfigured with mobility in mind. I play with “Bumper Jumper” popularized by Halo and have slide on R3. This makes bullet jumping/gliding effortless and I find I’m often better than PC players that I’ve met so far (Granted I’ve only played with people less than MR 15 on my PC profile).  I think it’s perfectly suitable. I will say that aiming was a tad easier with mouse though (or would have been if I wasn’t too rusty) and I could see Eidolon fights being smoother with a mouse as I sometimes pull my cursor too quick with a controller on Xbox. But I also play trinity and so I run a jump a lot as opposed to DPS behind a volt shield so idk. 

vor 59 Minuten schrieb ZargonKing:

Warframe is perfectly playable with controller, if you never used one before it's just about getting used to it. I play with controller regularly because it's much more comfortable.

14 minutes ago, German said:

Warframe is perfectly playable with controller, if you never used one before it's just about getting used to it. I play with controller regularly because it's much more comfortable.

23 minutes ago, (XB1)motionROTATION said:

Personally I prefer controller. I recently started up an account on PC to redo all the early missions and try to get a new player perspective. And I tried using keyboard and mouse but I’ve found that Warframe has too many buttons for me. I even customized my controls and it never felt fluid. 

As for the controller, I’ve customized that too and my only “complaint” is that melee is awkward, but it’s only awkward in that I can’t leave my thumb on the analog stick and swing at the same time. You could mitigate this by leaving it on R1, but I like power flexibility more so I put it there and all I ever do is mash melee (I hate stances), so it was a good trade off for me. 

As for Archwing, I didn’t have Archwing prior to switching to controller so I don’t know how it feels keyboard and mouse, but for me it’s not too bad. You just have to hit sprint to go fast, L1/R3 to go lightspeed, and then just hit sprint again if you wish to aim properly. It feels kind of awkward but doesn’t all of Archwing? I have not tried the expiremental controls. 

As for regular missions, my control scheme is reconfigured with mobility in mind. I play with “Bumper Jumper” popularized by Halo and have slide on R3. This makes bullet jumping/gliding effortless and I find I’m often better than PC players that I’ve met so far (Granted I’ve only played with people less than MR 15 on my PC profile).  I think it’s perfectly suitable. I will say that aiming was a tad easier with mouse though (or would have been if I wasn’t too rusty) and I could see Eidolon fights being smoother with a mouse as I sometimes pull my cursor too quick with a controller on Xbox. But I also play trinity and so I run a jump a lot as opposed to DPS behind a volt shield so idk. 

36 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Ah, okay.

Anyway, as far as laptops go, I would look at higher-spec models by the likes of ASUS, Acer or MSI. MSI do actual "gaming laptops" that are decently spec'd, while being cheaper than the top-end stuff (e.g. Alienware, Razer etc.) which can go up to 3-4 grand.

ASUS also have their "ROG" range but those are pretty pricey. I would stick to their regular high spec models.

46 minutes ago, Xintaur said:

I got that, but i am sure you have some general idea of the size and appeareance of the laptop. And if you need more space than a SSD can offer you (250 to 1000GB). The things i wanted to know don't have a lot to do with tech. Also if you never used a mechanical keyboard you probably don't need it.

Thank you fellow Tenno for the info.

The next question I would have is, what would be the best gaming laptop I can obtain so that I can achieve a smooth fps rate even in the most chaotic gameplay

(Let's say 50 theoretical Hydrolysts were rampaging in every mission node in public)

17 minutes ago, ZargonKing said:

The next question I would have is, what would be the best gaming laptop I can obtain so that I can achieve a smooth fps rate even in the most chaotic gameplay

(Let's say 50 theoretical Hydrolysts were rampaging in every mission node in public)

Since you refuse on giving any more info i will just give you the hardware requirements:

CPU: I7 / I9 - 7xxx / 8xxx

GPU: GTX1070 / GTX1070 Max-Q (not sure about current AMD cards)

RAM 8GB (16GB recommended)

Storage: SSD 256GB+ is a must have (HDD if you need more space)

Nvidia G-Sync is nice to have for 60hz screen, but no must have.

My recommendation would be the MSI GP73 8RF-296 - Leopard

Not sure if it is available in your region tho.

2 hours ago, BoarWarrior said:

Anything else but Lenovo laptop. Those have serious mic issues and no known solutions. I had to refund mine and get a new one for that reason.

I second this. They are durable as in they can work for a long time, but they do fall off in quality with time.

As for controllers, i personally prefered the dualshock4. You can use the touch pad as a mouse so you won't need to go back and forth putting down your controller. Also the design is symmetrical compsred to xbox's (this is highly personal), and is kinda smaller to brig around.

1 hour ago, ZargonKing said:

Well Warframe (as with most F2P MMO games) is designed to run on a wide range of hardware, so you don't actually need a cutting-edge rig.

Assuming you don't insist on running your graphics settings on maximum, the following should be quite serviceable (just to give you a general idea of the specs you should be looking at).

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-gl73-8rd-core-i7-8750h-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-geforce-gtx-150ti-17.3-inch-9s7-17c612-043/version.asp

If I'm guessing correctly that your currency is Aussie dollars then thats about 1.8 to the pound...so around $1,600 for you? Personally speaking, this is the kind of rig I'd go for.

OTOH if you really want everything to look as good as it can, then maybe something like this would be more up your alley...

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-rog-strix-core-i7-8750h-16gb-1tb-256gb-ssd-17.3-inch-geforce-gtx-107-gl703gs-e5011t/version.asp

But you're looking at around $2,800 for something like this.

Unless you absolutely need a gaming laptop, I would steer away from those. Low chances for upgrading (most likely only RAM), battery practically nonexistent, temperature issues, plus they weigh a ton. With the same amount of money (or even less) that you will pay for a moderately powered gaming laptop, you could get a fully decked beast of a gaming tower with 4K video capabilities and a nice 4k monitor. Then pop a Steam controller and you're all set...

Edited by vvhorus

7 hours ago, ZargonKing said:

I'm actually looking for a budget range of 1.5k to 1.7k AUD but anything outside the range is acceptable as I may wish to upgrade the laptop in the far future

Well, that laptop is a little outside that range.

What kind of games do you plan on running? If you cannot provide the specs, at least give us an idea of what you actually need. If it’s just Warframe, you don’t need anything too powerful. But if you want to play say, Just Cause 4 you would need higher specs.

• do you care about the size of the screen? I like bigger ones as I do not connect it to a screen. If you plan to connect it, you do not need to pay more for a bigger screen.

As for the controller, get the XB1 controller. The PS4 one is not as compatible with Windows (it’s a bit of a pain to make work). Other ones (I.e. Logitech have problems). If you don’t want to pay about 100 AUD for a controller, you should look at what some local shops stock. Then check reviews. I would only recommend the XB1 controller. (XB360 controller has a weird battery pack, and wireless adapter, it’s cheaper, but not as good)

*50 rampaging Hydrolysts will crash the game. Doesn’t matter about the specs on the PC. It will not cope.

Edited by krc473

I use an MSI leopard and it has given me nothing but joy. Look among the models for one that has a real GeForce card (not an M one) and SD drive. They are all within your price range. I don't use controller in WF, I use razer chroma keypad and mouse instead but for any game I do, like TW3, I use the Xbox one controller and as of now I've found no substitutes for it.