Good Gaming Laptop and Controller Combo?

On 2018-10-10 at 12:51 AM, Xintaur said:

Since you refuse on giving any more info i will just give you the hardware requirements:

CPU: I7 / I9 - 7xxx / 8xxx

GPU: GTX1070 / GTX1070 Max-Q (not sure about current AMD cards)

RAM 8GB (16GB recommended)

Storage: SSD 256GB+ is a must have (HDD if you need more space)

Nvidia G-Sync is nice to have for 60hz screen, but no must have.

My recommendation would be the MSI GP73 8RF-296 - Leopard

Not sure if it is available in your region tho.

Sorries, I'm a novice when it comes to this stuff 😅

The Steam controller is hands down the best controller for FPS gaming/warframe. Nothing comes close to the precision and customizability. However, the official Warframe controller profile given is pretty crap so you will want to bind your own keys or use other peoples. Once I optimize mine, might upload it to the public 😛

Just search up youtube vids on it first - Anyone who says it's bad or awkward clearly haven't used it much or used it with a good profile.

Ill start with Ps controller how to on PC. My fiance uses a PS4 using this and it is by far the easiest way. Xbox is plug and go like steam controllers. 

We both use Alienware 17 laptops, mine is an R3 hers is an R5. She has a 1070 and I a 970, difference of about 40 fps between the two with hers at 210fps average to 400 max. A laptop graphics card is always less superior to a desktop, however we have something called a Graphics Amplifier, which is a single desktop card mount for both our laptops. I went with Alienware for this reason. 

HDD vs SSD, POE loads in 3 to 5 minutes on an HDD, and under a minute on an SSD. I recently upgraded my hard drive from one to the other. Our laptops are 2500, but we are doing a monthly payment of 50 for mine and 65 for hers.  Monthly payments also help the credit rating for us. 

I am at work now but if you want more details I can post later. 

19 hours ago, Ashkeuron said:

Ill start with Ps controller how to on PC. My fiance uses a PS4 using this and it is by far the easiest way. Xbox is plug and go like steam controllers. 

We both use Alienware 17 laptops, mine is an R3 hers is an R5. She has a 1070 and I a 970, difference of about 40 fps between the two with hers at 210fps average to 400 max. A laptop graphics card is always less superior to a desktop, however we have something called a Graphics Amplifier, which is a single desktop card mount for both our laptops. I went with Alienware for this reason. 

HDD vs SSD, POE loads in 3 to 5 minutes on an HDD, and under a minute on an SSD. I recently upgraded my hard drive from one to the other. Our laptops are 2500, but we are doing a monthly payment of 50 for mine and 65 for hers.  Monthly payments also help the credit rating for us. 

I am at work now but if you want more details I can post later. 

Please do! Oh and congratulations on the engagement! (≧∇≦)/

15 hours ago, ZargonKing said:

Please do! Oh and congratulations on the engagement! (≧∇≦)/

Thanks, At this point our wedding is in three days so I'll take that as double 😁, Sorry for the late reply as well but Wedding prep takes priority.

So to start with to be specific out cards are 970M and 1070M. When compared to desktop cards you can see their just under their bigger siblings. With my amplifier I can bump any single non-XL card in and have that as my new card for a while, The cord on the amp is about a few feet long so lots of room, and the box is not very big so fits almost anywhere. When playing the only times either of us get a little hang is when loading over 10 people; Her computer more often as she only has her 1070m, I have a secondary integrated that seams to help a little. At this time she is running just about max on every setting, I am running custom about medium high and locked my fps at 72 and I never see any drop except for the aforementioned 10+ players in Cetus or Relays.

For the longest time I had an HDD, just last month I replaced it with an SSD. I will put it plainly that with the HDD I sometimes was loading well after people would be on stage 2-3 of the highest rank bounties. While my Internet card in this laptop is not the greatest (both wi-fi and Ethernet on mine equals my fiances at just wi-fi), our internet bandwidth is hardly even touched. But after the SSD install I was loading very quickly as both host and as client, at times within 20 seconds, at the most around 60 (usually Busy/near full Cetus). If you spend on anything get an SSD. My laptop has a free M.2 Internal SSD bay for another 128gig-1tb, my fiance's supposedly has a full second bay. Our ram is both at 16gig, but we can upgrade to 32gig from what I have read up on our laptops.  My fiance's Laptop is also VR ready, mine is a card version shy of doing so.

Access to upgrade both Hard Drives and Ram is 2-4 screws and removal of a back plate, So really easy to do yourself. Upgrading the internal graphics card is much harder, and requires disassembly of most of the laptop. Both our keyboards are soft and quiet, after three years I've half-worn my W and S key's paint so their a bit faded Mind you sweaty hands and hard gaming can do that really quick. The touch-pad is fairly sensitive, so for a backup mouse it works fine. Both are back-lit with chromatic lights, which are very soft in a dim light. The screen is also able to dim 'Very' significantly so less waking up people with mid-night gaming or web surfing.  NOTE: if not plugged in the graphics are hard locked to 30fps on battery mode by default (also if the power cord falls out because you pulled it out by accident). The computer usually remembers your light setting on battery and plugged in individually which is a nice feature. Speaking of light the R3 is fairly light, the R5 is much lighter. I can actually fit both our laptops in a single laptop bag plus one stand and accessories.

Downside: Gaming laptops are HOT, some can run upwards of 70-80 degrees C, and that on your lap is dangerous. Mine personally has hit 40ish Celsius which is nice on the bare legs (because why not get a free hot pad?) but I did buy a lap guard for when I am gaming seriously long. I also have a laptop stand for my desk as it can melt the faux-wood laminate with little issue, akin to a hot mug can melt desks of the same type. Now our laptops are 17in displays, they do have a 15 and 13 as well at lower price points, but they do some with a HDMI port so turn your big screen into a full screen for your laptop. Ours ran the $2500 CND mark, but we do have a monthly payment plan as some companies allow. Ours run 50 for mine on a 5 year and 65 for my fiances on a three. They do have a 1400ish CND for the lower end smaller screen, though honestly I do not think I could play all the time on anything smaller then my 17 inch.

I linked in my prior post This Guide for PS Controllers. I tried SCP toolkit and had many problems with it intermittently shutting down refusing to work, drives just not working after updates needing reinstall and just many issues. We did try a few other programs but most are out of date and don't have updated patches. Overall the DS4 program was easy to install, run, and if it acted up, just stopping the drive and rebooting the program was easy to fix any issues. Overall a gaming laptop I found to be a good investment, both for boosting my credit rating, and as a portable entertainment device.

9 minutes ago, Ashkeuron said:

Thanks, At this point our wedding is in three days so I'll take that as double 😁, Sorry for the late reply as well but Wedding prep takes priority.

So to start with to be specific out cards are 970M and 1070M. When compared to desktop cards you can see their just under their bigger siblings. With my amplifier I can bump any single non-XL card in and have that as my new card for a while, The cord on the amp is about a few feet long so lots of room, and the box is not very big so fits almost anywhere. When playing the only times either of us get a little hang is when loading over 10 people; Her computer more often as she only has her 1070m, I have a secondary integrated that seams to help a little. At this time she is running just about max on every setting, I am running custom about medium high and locked my fps at 72 and I never see any drop except for the aforementioned 10+ players in Cetus or Relays.

For the longest time I had an HDD, just last month I replaced it with an SSD. I will put it plainly that with the HDD I sometimes was loading well after people would be on stage 2-3 of the highest rank bounties. While my Internet card in this laptop is not the greatest (both wi-fi and Ethernet on mine equals my fiances at just wi-fi), our internet bandwidth is hardly even touched. But after the SSD install I was loading very quickly as both host and as client, at times within 20 seconds, at the most around 60 (usually Busy/near full Cetus). If you spend on anything get an SSD. My laptop has a free M.2 Internal SSD bay for another 128gig-1tb, my fiance's supposedly has a full second bay. Our ram is both at 16gig, but we can upgrade to 32gig from what I have read up on our laptops.  My fiance's Laptop is also VR ready, mine is a card version shy of doing so.

Access to upgrade both Hard Drives and Ram is 2-4 screws and removal of a back plate, So really easy to do yourself. Upgrading the internal graphics card is much harder, and requires disassembly of most of the laptop. Both our keyboards are soft and quiet, after three years I've half-worn my W and S key's paint so their a bit faded Mind you sweaty hands and hard gaming can do that really quick. The touch-pad is fairly sensitive, so for a backup mouse it works fine. Both are back-lit with chromatic lights, which are very soft in a dim light. The screen is also able to dim 'Very' significantly so less waking up people with mid-night gaming or web surfing.  NOTE: if not plugged in the graphics are hard locked to 30fps on battery mode by default (also if the power cord falls out because you pulled it out by accident). The computer usually remembers your light setting on battery and plugged in individually which is a nice feature. Speaking of light the R3 is fairly light, the R5 is much lighter. I can actually fit both our laptops in a single laptop bag plus one stand and accessories.

Downside: Gaming laptops are HOT, some can run upwards of 70-80 degrees C, and that on your lap is dangerous. Mine personally has hit 40ish Celsius which is nice on the bare legs (because why not get a free hot pad?) but I did buy a lap guard for when I am gaming seriously long. I also have a laptop stand for my desk as it can melt the faux-wood laminate with little issue, akin to a hot mug can melt desks of the same type. Now our laptops are 17in displays, they do have a 15 and 13 as well at lower price points, but they do some with a HDMI port so turn your big screen into a full screen for your laptop. Ours ran the $2500 CND mark, but we do have a monthly payment plan as some companies allow. Ours run 50 for mine on a 5 year and 65 for my fiances on a three. They do have a 1400ish CND for the lower end smaller screen, though honestly I do not think I could play all the time on anything smaller then my 17 inch.

I linked in my prior post This Guide for PS Controllers. I tried SCP toolkit and had many problems with it intermittently shutting down refusing to work, drives just not working after updates needing reinstall and just many issues. We did try a few other programs but most are out of date and don't have updated patches. Overall the DS4 program was easy to install, run, and if it acted up, just stopping the drive and rebooting the program was easy to fix any issues. Overall a gaming laptop I found to be a good investment, both for boosting my credit rating, and as a portable entertainment device.

Thank you for taking the time to write this for me, I'll see if i can get it in the future if my part time job allows me to. 

All the best for the wedding preperations! And treat your fiance like the queen of the origin system. (≧∇≦)/

On 2018-10-10 at 1:03 PM, Ashkeuron said:

HDD vs SSD, POE loads in 3 to 5 minutes on an HDD, and under a minute on an SSD. I recently upgraded my hard drive from one to the other.

I'm playing on a 6 year old laptop with a slow HDD and I'm loading POE in 10 seconds max.

12GB ram, 3.2 GHZ I5-3230m, 2GB NVIDIA 740m.

Pretty sure your laptop has other issues if it takes you that much time to load POE.

1 hour ago, SinKershel said:

I'm playing on a 6 year old laptop with a slow HDD and I'm loading POE in 10 seconds max.

12GB ram, 3.2 GHZ I5-3230m, 2GB NVIDIA 740m.

Pretty sure your laptop has other issues if it takes you that much time to load POE.

Probably, but I also believe my hard drive was having issues as it was also making grinding sounds about a year n a bit in, eventually it stopped but i kept getting occasional errors, Thus why I ended up replacing it. 

Edit: I had a desktop before my laptop, HDD as well but to give an example nonwarframe: Modded Skyrim loading on my desktop took about 2 to 3 minutes. Laptop HDD was about the same, SSD is seconds. A good HDD can compare to an SSD, but less can go wrong. My brother-in-law who does build Computers as a side job swears by them. 

Edited by Ashkeuron
More info.

if all your going to be doing with the laptop is playing games then why not just go console?

i can never recommend laptops unless you have a very specific need for it, you can go out and buy a pc with twice the performance for half the price 

To make it simple for you just google laptops with a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb thats pretty much the most important bit. Gtx 1060 laptops at 1 700aud that quite doable. But i think 2000aud is the sweet spot were you can get all the good albeit luxurious bits. There was a Lenovo Y720 at center com going for $1700aud with gtx1060 graphics card, 256gb ssd, 2tb hard drive, 16bg ram and a 15.6 inch screen thats mostly what you are looking for a gtx1060 in a package you like. As for the controller i use my Ps4 controller with ds4 windows software makes it bluetooth compatible for wireless play you use ps4 controller if an xbox controller gives you arthritis 😛

Edited by GreyZetsu
additional info