Does anyone else feel that DE is being less open?

Waterbeacon

Warning: Rant Inbound

Summary: I feel like DE is no longer communicates plans as much as they used to. 

What I mean by this is that they are not letting us in on what they are working on as much as they used to, it may just be me but all we are really seeing is fortuna and concepts for Railjack. Another thing is that I feel like they are not listening to us as much as they used to, or at the very least they are not a knowledging that they know what we want. For example a Chroma rework, mostly everyone is asking for this (with the exception of those weirdos who only want Tennogen. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the work Tennogen creators put in as an aspiring Graphic artist myself.) but we have heard nothing from DE about if they are even considering reworking him. Another thing that alot of youtubers have been talking about is the fact that they will just chuck out a game mode and then not touch it again. Again, we have heard nothing from DE about considering fixing things like POE and ESO. Don't get me wrong, I love DE and they are probably one of the best gaming companies out there, I'm just getting a bit concerned about recent events and don't want them to lose their special spark. What do you think? Let me know if you think I'm wrong and I'll try my best to reply with reason. 

No, I don't.

They still have their bi-weekly devstreams, and they've been working on the same massive update for quite a while, so they haven't had anything new to announce.

The content drought has hit the DEv's just as hard as the players, I wouldn't worry about it.

After devstream 116, yes, but after devstream 117, no. I was disappointed by their behaviour in not being open about the content of said stream in 116, but they pretty much came out and said "We are showing you bits and pieces of what we're working on" in 117 first thing. So, faith restored.

And, frankly, I don't give much attention to the yootoobmen.

Sigh really.Listen the reason we are only seeing fortuna and railjack related things is because the whole team is working on that so its obvious that they dont have anything else to show at the moment besides cosmetics that the community made.

Chroma is on the list of warframes to be tweaked/reworked but there are others that need a rework far more then he does frames like titania,wukong,vauban plus they just finished a nezha rework.

And they have said multiple times that many of the improvements that have been made for fortuna are going to be transferred to poe like taking bounties without returning to cetus and infinite charges for archwing.How is Eso broken?It works fine theres no serious issues with it.

The reason De are constantly abandoning modes is because theyre always trying to please the community so they put things off we wanted weapon rebalances we got primaries and secondaries completely rebalanced along with a beam weapon rework and we are about to get the melee rebalance plus melee 3.0 then they released umbra finally because the community was tired of waiting.Now people are constantly talking about a content drought while fortuna is probably like a month away.Heck they even talked about reworking arhcwing again along with the railjack release.

So no De isnt any less open with us its just that theyre busy and dont have a lot of things to show.

They are focusing too much on Fortuna. The problem is that after the release of Fortuna i don't really expect reworks or fixes for anything expect Fortuna things for at least 1/2 months. After that 90% of the team will start to work on the next open world and cya in one year. This "we gonna make open world area" trend is the major cause of the content drought. They have to hire new people and expand the team or nothing will change.

At least i hope to see Pablo's hands on the next frames reworks.

Edited by (PS4)cleefsentence

I do kind of get where the OP is coming from, it seems like they're less interested in 'communicating' with us than they used to be.  In all honesty devstreams usually consisted of promoting the 'latest and greatest' releases with a sprinkling of 'upcoming stuff' which we might be able to buy with plat.   The problem at the moment is they don't have anything to show due to their current focus on 'bigger' updates and 'tennogen'...far too much tennogen stuff these days imo. 

Now we're also in a situation where the dev's are kind of wanting to show off or add hype for fortuna but at the same time they're trying not to overhype it like they did PoE, because lets be honest PoE was nowhere near as good as it was made out to be.  At the same time however most of us are fully aware that we'll be able to ride the hoverboards and hunt for poop....

Players: "drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought drought"

DE: "..o.okey, yeah" *been crunch timeing Fortuna release*

Players: "hellllllo!? God, typical developer, never talkes to you during"

In the past few months talks of pet ballancing, sweeping melee changes, new gas city and corpus ship tiles, UI changes, login changes, archwing beacon changes, rendering reflection and light changes, pages and pages of more fixes and tweeks in the mainline update coming. All that other fortuna stuff with new mechanics, no so much stuff on mechanics we already know about. Of course no giving away bosses and quests. Steve contemplating mining mechanic changes on Twitter. Though yeah, things have been slowing down talking wise on social media as it reaches a head.

Give it a few weeks and people will complain about too much information and fortuna hype.

Edited by Firetempest

They tend to get quiet in the crunch time of developing, test, qa, etc before big launches.

Couple that with the current mood on the forums and talking is a no-win for them.

If they opt to be transparent they'll get hit for hyping the expansion...If they don't, they get hit for being unresponsive.

It's like a marriage that used to be really good but can't seem to get back onto the right track now.

As others have said, they are working on Fortuna.

and those parts of the team that aren't are probably working on the next cinematic quest and DE learned the hard way that it is better to be silent about quests than to hype them and get angry forum posts when the quest is late

Edited by Helch0rn

1 hour ago, Waterbeacon said:

feel like DE is no longer communicates plans as much as they used to. 

well that's funny considering DE are some of the most vocal Devs I've ever met. I play a lot of other games that continue to have content added: Killing floor 2, Brawlhalla, Destiny 2, Warface, GTA V and more and I'm lucky if any of the teams behind those games releases more than one statement in a month. I suppose there's also social media (Facebook and twitter), but that's not really the same. IMO, if you really care about your audience you make a video or Stream and have it on Twitch and/or YouTube as well a posting on Facebook and Twitter. nobody I know communicates more frequently with their fans, and does so with long streams that show off a lot of what's to come in terms of content.

I honestly wish more Devs were like DE in that sense, even if the others devs had little to show, they could still talk about plans and teasers, just something to keep people tuned in. DE are being quiet because A: there isn't really much to say that we don't already know about, and B: they don't really have time when everyone is being worked to their bones to get Fortuna out. surprising that they still decide to do a few streams and such now and then, and I reckon they force themselves to do it in order to keep the communication with their fanbase going, so good on them for that.

DE has a few flaws, and has made a few mistakes in the past, but one thing that can be said is that they never fail to keep us in the loop.

The reason they haven't been talking about much other than Fortuna and Railjack is because that's most of what they're working on. I'd bet that's like 70% of what everyone is focused on (maybe not so much anymore; seems like a lot of the assets are done).

Other things we know to be in active development: Corpus Gas City rework (lead-up to other Corpus texture updates), Garuda warframe, "wisp" warframe, melee 3.0, pets 2.0, Daily Tribute rework (almost complete).

Steve's twitter usually has lots of cool stuff. He even teased a quest script he was working on, with a "chimera".

Also, I'd like to add that for the purposes of hype and actually giving players that fresh "See what we did!" feel, they are keeping things very basic. They show us things that won't surprise us, the bare minimum so we see what might be involved, but let us discover what those things are or the details of systems the broad ideas we have been presented with. 

It is normal for game devs to be very tight lipped about what they are doing. 

DE has never been a perfect dev studio, and never will be, as perfection is simply impossible. They try to be fairly honest, and in the end, they strive to provide a pleasant experience. However, at the end of the day, they are still a company full of people who want to be comfortable themselves. If they sat down to listen and communicate with every little player about every thing they have worked on, have been working on, or will be working on, nothing would actually ever get done. You have to realize that as much as DE us communicative, the devs aren't customer support. They dont need to tell anything ot listen to anything. 

They're trying to communicate enough to let us know that things are being done, but they're still releasing a major update. There's supposed to be an air of mystery. Look at forsaken, and how much people LOVED finding the hidden. That's what expansions are supposed to be. 

The UI/Particle/Lighting reworks also took time away from working on content.

That type of work only gives the Devs better tools to make better content. Just look at the tilset rework thats coming, I cant wait for that, thats where that time invested will pay off down the line. Plus the scope of the major updates obviously got bigger, so thats only gunna give us more content in the end.

Fortuna and RailJack are going to be big updates, plus we dont know what The New War will bring.....Im going to assume Sentient Outposts, I certainly havent forgotten about that. Theres still alot to look forward to. 

Plus Kingpin, Garuda/Wisp frames. Thats a long list of future content. 

Edited by (XB1)Cram Duachim

I mean.... What do you want them to communicate to you about? Serious question? Maybe they AREN'T considering reworking Chroma, so there's nothing to say. You really expect them to waste time talking about things they don't plan on doing? That would be a very long list and cause even more entitlement demanding they address every single forum hot topic. That's a quick way to forcing them to go silent.

Nah, DE have always had quiet periods when working on bigger updates, it's part of the whole not wanting to spoil the good stuff for the players kind of deal. I personally wish they'd be more open about reworks and such, not only of warframes but of systems as is melee 3.0. I think they'd do well to post a workshop showing us what they have so far so they can get our feedback and either keep going with their direction or take it somewhere else if it turns out its a trash fire.

Yes, DE is a bit less open; only for good reasons though.

DE did not always have quests with interesting stories, and so they didn't really have anything to keep from spoiling. When story quests became an issue DE tightened up the info drip a bit.

DE didn't always have Tennocon, and Tennocon needs a draw, and that draw is partly "the reveal"; each year before Tennocon, DE starts to go quiet as there is more and more that they are saving for the reveal. You say you hate the quiet, but tell me, Tenno, do you hate the reveal?

Here is something to think about though: DE makes more "stuff" than ever before. To the players it may feel like less (it isn't all guns, melees, and frames), but there is more content in general being released. But it isn't being released evenly; it comes in large clumps. The community has latched strongly onto the phrase Steve used of "content drought" but few seem to have noticed the the phrase about "content constipation".

With all the content being saved up, and with it all releasing at once, DE has time to tie many systems to each other to make a cohesive whole. Unfortunately, this means that systems tied to story or anything remotely spoiler-y, can't be talked about. The more connected and cohesive the game, the less they can inform us about it in advance, and the longer it take to release.

As far as DE "not listening to us as much as they used to"... this I do not agree with. If you feel DE is not addressing your concerns either they are and you haven't seen the results yet, or your voice is still quiet in the mass of voices calling for something more pressing than your concern, or your voice is still quiet in the mass of voices saying something opposite to what you are saying.

The playerbase is large, and it is inevitable that some ideas that players have will be contrary to what DE wants or what is good for the game. Everybody is entitled to an opinion, everybody can voice their ideas, but not everyone should be listened to. As an example, if some player loudly cried that Warframe should be turned into a 2D platformer, that would be a bad idea. Or if someone said Warframe should be turned into Street Fighter-- well, nevermind.

Finally:

5 hours ago, Waterbeacon said:

all we are really seeing is fortuna and concepts for Railjack.

That is no small amount of content you are belittling, Tenno.

Less? Maybe. 

Why? Does it matter? 

Consider this: they made a product. You use it. You might even pay for it. Beyond that, they owe you nothing. You owe them nothing, and never did. Just because you’re emotionally invested in them doesn’t mean they’re emotionally invested in you - nor is that their obligation. 

When I get bored I’ll be doing the same thing I’ve been doing for the last 25 years: moving on. In 15-20 years you’ll learn to do the same. 

~ FOG 

I wouldn't be open with most of you people either. After reading some of the demands on this forum I would withdraw to a desert stronghold to produce my content and then you get what you get. Its the same in every other game forum. The developers will actually stop saying things or looking at the forum in general, more so the more popular the game becomes.