Quick favor please - install path in steam

Worbane

Question

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked some of the files that did download and they are all different sizes so I don't think moving it is going to work. thanks anyway. I'll just have to download it all again.

In order to move my standalone version to a Linux Steam install to avoid the 25 GB download...I would like to know what the install path for the game is in the Steam version (Windows or, if Linux, better yet). For example mine is/was:

.../Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Warframe.x64.exe

Would it be something like?:

.../Steam/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Warframe/Downloaded/Public/Warframe.x64.exe

Thanks.

Edited by Worbane

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Worbane said:

Would it be something like?:

Mine installs here:

D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Warframe

With the settings and such here:

C:\Users\[localuser]\AppData\Local\Warframe

Last time I did it, it was not as simple as just copying the files. Steam has an out of date launcher version so forces a redownload anyway.

• Copy files.
  • Start launcher.
  • Let run for a few mins.
  • Stop launcher.
  • Copy everything BUT the launcher back into the target folder.
  • Rerun launcher.
  • Should hopefully work. Honestly, it is less effort just to let it download.

16 minutes ago, Worbane said:

I'm hoping to move the big part to the right path so Steam will 'discover' existing files.

It doesn't. You have to 'trick it' into thinking it has them. Last time I tried it there was a version mismatch, resulting in redownloading. Using the steps above you should get around it.

Yeah, I thought if I stuck everything in the right place, Steam might just think it was already installed (works normally if you know the path) and just fetch the correct launcher or whatever, but this is Windows to Linux Steam and I don't think they are the same. Most of the files I did let it download do not match the files I already had from my old install...so yeah...gonna have to download 25 GB just to see if I can even get it to run well enough to play on Linux. As much as I love me some Linux, I've only seen a couple of games that ran well enough on it for me to bother with them.

Example: Tomb Raider 2013 with it's 'native linux' port...Nope! running it in Wine even performs better...and I don't do Wine. Serious Sam 3: BFE ran like poo. OpenArena would not even start at all and that one is totally linux native. Dafuq? Portal ran like a champ...that was the only one.

But the new(ish) Steamplay Proton thing has me very curious because I absolutely hate Windows and want off of it soooo bad. But "muh games!"

Edited by Worbane

15 minutes ago, Worbane said:

But the new(ish) Steamplay Proton thing has me very curious because I absolutely hate Windows and want off of it soooo bad. But "muh games!"

I would much rather have all my games and use Windows, than sacrifice most of them to use Linux.

Most games should let you copy them over just fine. But those with independent launchers can cause issues sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, Worbane said:

I thought if I stuck everything in the right place, Steam might just think it was already installed (works normally if you know the path) and just fetch the correct launcher or whatever

I have gone Win10 -> Win10 and it has not worked with Warframe (everything else, yes). I have reasonably fast internet (uncapped), so it is just simpler to let it download than try and copy the files.