What plague zaw or normal zaw is good?

Lixon99

Question

12 answers to this question

All are good for their niche (except kronsh, kronsh sucks) 

As long as you don't go full $&*&*#(%& (all damage minimum speed) you should be good. 

But since you asked for advice here's mine:

LINK:

The suggested links would be whatever gets you to 

Speed : near 1

CC: near 15

SC: near 27

This creates the most versatile zaw stats for a hybrid (blood rush, CO) 

Usually something with jai or jai ii, ekwana or ruhang depending on whether you want more SC or cc. 

GRIP:

For general use the 2h grip is usually having more range, so that gives you options on staff, pole arm, heavy blade stances, Pick whatever you are comfortable with. 

Strike

Mewan, ooltha, kripath, keewar, dokram, sepfahn all are good but since each has its own stance choose one with the stance you like and the stats you want. 

Special notes:

Sepfahn has the highest base SC cc stats possible outside of plague Zaws, but is Nikana or staff stance with relatively lower base damage,

Plague kripath has higher Crit multiplier and CC at base 

Plague keewar has better slash and SC at base

Dokram gives the use of the awesome heavy blade stances 

I suggest you build all of them as all are unique. 

But the most convenient for me has been the plague kripath with 2h grip and links which give 14%cc and 32 % SC 

Edit: forgot to name cyath and balla, are fine for general  2h grips but

balla is dagger and since you will likely only use it for covert lethality you want full speed on it anything else is up to you 

Edited by 0_The_F00l

Depends what you prefer. If you intend to use the Zaw with Inaros or any Excalibur version then a dagger Zaw, I think Balla strike, as fast grip and speed-crit link as possible with Covert Lethality mod.

If you intend to use Zaw with Valkyr or Volt or other melee speed buffer I don't know of, you might wanna build a Plague Kripath or Plague Keewar strike with a long-reaching high-damage grip and link with high critical strike and damage since having a slow Zaw with those two frames is no problem with the Volt speed or Valkyr warcry build.

For frames that don't have melee buffs, you want again a Plague Kripath or Plague Keewar strike with either fast status Zaw for a Condition Overload mod build, or a decently fast high crit Zaw for Blood Rush + Berserker mods build.

Unless you make a Covert Lethality dagger Zaw, you might want to make a long-reaching Zaw like staff or polearm instead or a rapier or nikana etc, they benefit more from Primed Reach. But if melee range is not important to you just make what you want. I can tell you it's pretty handy against groups of enemies.

You can check how different grips and links give different stats by selecting "Forge a Zaw" at Hok, and checking the "Preview Gilded" box on the lower right corner. You should do this and find out the best stats for your Zaw by yourself so you can be sure about it instead of relying on people too much. I can tell you from experience that a lot of people tend to do some things quite non-optimally and give others advice in that direction, which is not a good thing when you wanna optimise.

Personally I prefer crit over status since crit oneshots most things in normal level ranges but pick what you think you might like.

just compare what Stat mixtures you can have to the non lego Weapons in each Category you're interested in.
just ask yourself which parts makes a Melee Weapon that is competitive to the rest that use those Animations. something that isn't super slow or very low Damage or very low Crit/Status compared to the rest can be something which can excel for you.

you have the options to adjust Stats, so find balances that you like. perhaps you want some of everything, perhaps you want to focus heavily  on Crits or Status exclusively, perhaps you want a really fast or slow (compared to other Weapons in that Category) Weapon that has low or super high Base Damage.
if all else fails, some Zaws can make Powercreep replacements of the other choices in their Categories. not every Weapon Type can do it but some can. just straight up higher Stats than any of the other choices in that Category.

1 hour ago, BoarWarrior said:

a dagger Zaw, I think Balla strike, as fast grip and speed-crit link as possible with Covert Lethality mod.

FYI, only Attack Speed Mods affect Finishers. the Attack Speed of the Weapon does not and complex Attack Speed like Berserker does not.
(though sure a stupid fast Weapon means if you miss your Finisher prompt for some reason you can try again a little faster but *shrug*)

Aslong maiming strike is still a thing, I stick to polearms.

I have two zaw builds:
Crit Cyath: CYATH + PLAGUE BOKWIN + VARGEET II JAI, Maiming Strike + Riven Mod with even more slide crits (mediocre roll). Total: over 200% on slide attacks. 0.967 attack speed.
Hybrid Kripath: PLAGUE KRIPATH + PLAGUE BOKWIN + VARGEET RUHANG(or Jai for 1.0 speed), Bloodrush/Condition Overload/Drifting Contact Hybrid. 29% crit, 14% Status Chance, 0.850 speed, Riven Mod with Slide Crit.

If Sortie is the stuff you're doing mostly, I suggest going for a double-maiming Crit build. It's overkill already, insta-redcrits, you will shredder most eximus groups in one or two hits.

The Hybrid Kripath is way over the top for most content. I didn't care about speed as it's supposed to one-hit enemies softened up by a 100% multi-status weapon (like Ignis Wraith or Phantasma). I mainly use it with speedy melee Warframes (Volt/Harrow) or when doing longer rounds in The Index.

I'm using the Plague Bokwin for style only. With that much damage at hand it doesn't matter much which polearm grip to pick.

10 hours ago, BoarWarrior said:

Unless you make a Covert Lethality dagger Zaw, you might want to make a long-reaching Zaw like staff or polearm instead or a rapier or nikana etc, they benefit more from Primed Reach. But if melee range is not important to you just make what you want. I can tell you it's pretty handy against groups of enemies.

I think rapier's relatively low reach is made up for by the fact that you get free movement during the animations. Most of the stance attacks being single-target is a bigger issue.

But, yeah, in general the 2H melee weapons are preferable right now due to benefitting more from Reach. Polearms are particularly favoured, especially for Zaws, because of their stances. Twirling Spire stance is AFAIK considered one of the better stances in the game because the initial attack on all its combos procs Impact, meaning you're guaranteed to start out with at least one stack of Condition Overload at all times, possibly two if you're also running Artax.

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

All are good for their niche (except kronsh, kronsh sucks) 

As long as you don't go full $&*&*#(%& (all damage minimum speed) you should be good. 

But since you asked for advice here's mine:

LINK:

The suggested links would be whatever gets you to 

Speed : near 1

CC: near 15

SC: near 27

This creates the most versatile zaw stats for a hybrid (blood rush, CO) 

Usually something with jai or jai ii, ekwana or ruhang depending on whether you want more SC or cc. 

GRIP:

For general use the 2h grip is usually having more range, so that gives you options on staff, pole arm, heavy blade stances, Pick whatever you are comfortable with. 

Strike

Mewan, ooltha, kripath, keewar, dokram, sepfahn all are good but since each has its own stance choose one with the stance you like and the stats you want. 

Special notes:

Sepfahn has the highest base SC cc stats possible outside of plague Zaws, but is Nikana or staff stance with relatively lower base damage,

Plague kripath has higher Crit multiplier and CC at base 

Plague keewar has better slash and SC at base

Dokram gives the use of the awesome heavy blade stances 

I suggest you build all of them as all are unique. 

But the most convenient for me has been the plague kripath with 2h grip and links which give 14%cc and 32 % SC 

max damage and min speed on a crit build with blood rush and berserker is the way to go actually. my cyath pole-arm with plague bowkin is just as fast if not faster once berserker fully stacks then my plague keewar pole-arm with whatever that fastest grip is (cant remeber atm) and my cyath red crits in the millions

Plague kripah polearm with parts for high speed and status with elementals and condition overload is one of the strongest melee weapons in the whole game. Also, the plague kripah rapier with the forced Slash procs of the stance is amazing as well. That said, if you're not in a hurry I'd wait a little and see how melee 3.0 turns out before building it. 

What he said ^ - Idk why people are pushing blood rush-drifting contact crit-status mixed builds, you need high density of mobs and past 125 lvl enemies to outshine drifting contact build who does not need spool up time and works fine from quick melee. Unless you are doing some insane endless survival 1hr+ missions drifting is always better. 

Kripath is fine but I prefer staff stances to polearm, they seem faster and are more fluid, plus kripath gives bonud to CC while keevar gives to SC. 

with riven you're getting 12-14m range with these things, and damage comparable to lesion. It's still not scoliac but it's stronger and arguably more fun then constant sliding. 

6 hours ago, ghoffman1928 said:

max damage and min speed on a crit build with blood rush and berserker is the way to go actually. my cyath pole-arm with plague bowkin is just as fast if not faster once berserker fully stacks then my plague keewar pole-arm with whatever that fastest grip is (cant remeber atm) and my cyath red crits in the millions

Not sure what you are trying to say,

on one side you are saying to go minimum speed, but you are picking a grip which adds speed,

Could you tell me the base speed on your Zaws ? 

And full Crit Zaws are good, but without CO they will plateau at about 3x multiplier. 

Hybrid Zaws will go further, cause CO will stack on top of it. 

I have a full Crit plague kripath, full status kripath,  and hybrid status based kripath (have the same variations for the keewars as well) and they are all powerful, all can clear upto lvl, 150 enemies with little effort but my hybrid zaw is most effective and does so in the least time.

1 hour ago, LarryYourWaiter said:

are you sure base weapon speed doesn’t affect finisher animation speed?  I was always lead to believe it does...?

yes. 100% certain, has always been this way.
can dig up a couple Clips of slowest Dagger vs fastest Dagger if you'd like.

always gotta remember misinformation in this game is more rampant than.... Forest Fires in California (from people being too dumb to let Forests be healthy but that's another topic).

Fury (and Primed Fury), Gladiator Vice, Quickening, Arcane Strike and the weapon type influence the animation speed of the finisher. This caps at a 33% faster animation with +50% attack speed. Berserker and the weapon's base attack speed do not affect animation speed.

https://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Finisher