The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Slight Frost rework?

(PSN)Frost_Nephilim

How much i love frost: I currently lovvvveee frost!! Out of the near 5 years of me playing warframe, i have frost played 28% of that time in which i think it should be 40% cause i play him non stop everyday.

What abilities and why i want the abilities to be changed: Something ive noticed is that out of all the time ive used frost there are two abilities ive stopped using which is his 1st ability and 2nd ability (freeze and ice wave). The reason why i think its time fot these 2 abilities to be changed is because the need to use them has declined greatly ever since the movement and zenrik focus tree updates.

The movement update decreased the need to use his 1st ability immensely because you can just bullet jump at an extreme speed away from the enemy when you need to reload or something, which is better than using energy that takes away from the use of your 3rd and fourth ability which are capable of helping you a WHOLE lot in sticky situations. 

Then the zenrik focus tree update i think even further decreased the need to use the 1st and 2nd ability because now you can just go into operator mode and regain energy so that you may use your other 2 more useful abilities. So now you really dont use ice wave or freeze in emergencies.

The Rework Ideas:

1st ability: Tapping the button for this abillity does the same thing as before however holding the button will do something different. Holding the buttom will cause frost to unleash a beam of cold energy capable of healing his frost globe by 1% per 0.2 seconds and freezing enemies on contact. Enemies who are attacked break the freeze duration on the enemy early but the enemy is still affected with a cold proc. (The energy drain from healing the globe will be increased by the amount of globes statcked in it when healing it)

2nd ability: Frost incases his weapons in ice granting melee weapons a flat increase in range and all weapons an increased chance to apply cold procs. On slam attacks he triggers a ice wave. The damage of ice wave and weapons are increased by 2 against cold proc enemies and 4 against frozen enemies.

what do you think? 

Edited by (PS4)Ghost--00--
Feedback

Try using Ice Wave Impedance

It’ll change the way you use Frost’s abilities, I guarantee it.

Overall though, I agree that Freeze is a pretty useless move compared to the other abilities. It has trash damage, and the CC provided by all the other abilities is so much more effective. Adding a way to heal bubbles with it would be a welcome addition.

1. He does not need a buff or a tweek. He is one of the better frames

2. These buffs seem pretty big. Healing Snowglobe by a percentage is a big deal, if you stack snowglobes for max health. And a x10 damage multiplier for ice wave for using 100 energy seems really excessive. Fully freezing with snowglobe with something as reliable as a cold proc seems really strong too.

2 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

He does not need a buff or a tweek. He is one of the better frames

Well i 100% agree that these changes are not a necessity. I created the changes however simply to increase the use of other abilities. Make them more satisfying

4 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Healing Snowglobe by a percentage is a big deal, if you stack snowglobes for max health.

Well there frames like limbo who can keep the defense objective from being touched, EVER!! Only reason why i dont think frost being able to heal his globe by a percentage will be a big deal.

6 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

And a x10 damage multiplier for ice wave for using 100 energy seems really excessive

This i agree with, ill change that to just allowing his ice wave to deal increased damage to frozen enemies and overall.

8 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Fully freezing with snowglobe with something as reliable as a cold proc seems really strong too

This im not understanding. I dont believe too many people build for cold damage. Even if they did, the status chance id imagine would be low. And even if it was high the chance of procing cold would be a bit low too as id imagine theyd have a combined elemental mod dealing a lot more damage, increasing the chance for that combined element to proc. Meh, ill remove and come up with something better if i can

Ya know, some proper QoL would simply be giving the basic frost 125 base energy (187 max) and the prime frost 150 energy (225 max).

Ofc it would be nice if Freeze did some % HP damage rather than just ... a bit of damage. Ice Wave can ya know, spread wider and travel further but that's it.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

Well there frames like limbo who can keep the defense objective from being touched, EVER!! Only reason why i dont think frost being able to heal his globe by a percentage will be a big deal.

Limbo also prevents you from shooting enemies outside, while you are protected inside, which frost does not. That's why I think the change would be quite strong. Also why do you say  "frames like limbo"? Name 2 other frames, who can keep the objective completely protected.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

This im not understanding. I dont believe too many people build for cold damage. Even if they did, the status chance id imagine would be low. And even if it was high the chance of procing cold would be a bit low too as id imagine theyd have a combined elemental mod dealing a lot more damage, increasing the chance for that combined element to proc. Meh, ill remove and come up with something better if i can

If you prepare according to a tactic, you can change your build accordingly, by taking the Glaxion, which always procs cold, or Artax on your sentinel, or just a high status chance weapon which you can mod for lots of cold.

1 minute ago, Oru5732 said:

Limbo also prevents you from shooting enemies outside, while you are protected inside, which frost does not. That's why I think the change would be quite strong. Also why do you say  "frames like limbo"? Name 2 other frames, who can keep the objective completely protected.

You know, Absorb Nyx can do that with no issue outside of her energy. Gara is a mixed bag here depending on terrain or the thing to be protected but she can give consoles some mean damage reduction. So yeah, there are frames who can do it.

8 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

If you prepare according to a tactic, you can change your build accordingly, by taking the Glaxion, which always procs cold, or Artax on your sentinel, or just a high status chance weapon which you can mod for lots of cold.

True but your damage will suffer from it id imagine. Perhaps i could make it a percent chance to proc freeze. Idk, ill think more on it.

17 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Also why do you say  "frames like limbo"? Name 2 other frames, who can keep the objective completely protected.

A good khora could, gara can a while also providing 95% damage reduction to objectives.

17 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Limbo also prevents you from shooting enemies outside, while you are protected inside

This is not true, abilities can still damage enemies outside the rift. So players like mesa and saryn suffer little to nothing from limbo and also are EXTREMELY powerful warframes. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

A good khora could

Khora can't prevent enemies outside to shoot at you.

18 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Limbo also prevents you from SHOOTING enemies outside, while you are protected inside, which frost does not.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

This is not true,Abilities can still damage enemies outside the rift

Frost is one of those frames that with every new frame/rework that comes out becomes more and more obsolete. For example,

- In defense/mobile defense, I usually eat a Frost's lunch when it comes to defending a point just by placing down Limbo's 2 and 4. I usually run with the 4 augment on Limbo so I don't have to refresh it often.

- Gara also has an exceptional ability to defend a point because she effectively uses the enemy's health as her defense, along with giving herself, her teammates, and defense objectives 90% damage reduction.

- Octavia's metronome comes in handy for corpus sortie defense missions because not only does it have enough damage potential to kill enemies on sight, it also pops nullifiers.

- Heck, even Khora can defend a point pretty effectively because her Strangledome draws aggro to the targets it captures.

In the crowd control department, Frost isn't too hot (heh) either.

- Frost's crowd control renders enemies immune to status effects and strips their armor by 40% for a duration.

- Vauban's bastille suspends enemies in the air without making them immune to status effects and can be spammed to make up for the number of enemies each one can cap.

- Limbo's stasis stops enemies in their tracks without making them immune to status procs (as a matter of fact it makes all status procs last until stasis is disabled)

- Banshee's soundquake can CC enemies continuously at a higher range

- Equinox and Ivara can both sleep groups of enemies at once and keep them immobile for as long as they desire, while opening them up to finishers and not rendering them immune to status effects

- Rhino's stomp works in a larger range and while it does have a shorter duration it can be spammed to keep enemies locked down.

- Oberon's hallowed ground provides good enough CC to defend a point. He can also strip armor completely and permanently

- Nyx's unaugmented absorb can act like a channeled frost bubble that is remarkably effective.

Also

22 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Limbo also prevents you from shooting enemies outside, while you are protected inside, which frost does not.

^There is zero point to this argument because there is no need to shoot enemies outside of Limbo's cataclysm because as soon as they enter, if stasis is up, they are immediately frozen until the bubble shrinks over them.

27 minutes ago, Oru5732 said:

Khora can't prevent enemies outside to shoot at you.

Someone already said it, that its not really a big deal as enemies would simply have to come to you. You can use abilities to speed up the process.

More i think about it i could have left the ability to freeze enemies if you affect them with a cold proc in the globe as it increases the use of ice waves and limbo already has a more powerful sort of version of this ability.

Also if you feel globe healing is too op, or if DE feels globe healing is too op one could just increase the energy drain if the globe has more health from stacking..

Imo you miss the point but have good ideas. Frost has a very good kit where every power has its place, even his 1 and his 2.

What he truly lacks compared to newer frames is some interactions between his own abilities. We currently only have his 1 to pop the globe, and his 1 to prolong the 4th freeze duration. 

Having the skills interact more would definitely be a good thing. 

27 minutes ago, ljmadruga said:

^There is zero point to this argument because there is no need to shoot enemies outside of Limbo's cataclysm because as soon as they enter, if stasis is up, they are immediately frozen until the bubble shrinks over them.

If you want to minimize mission time, waiting for enemies is far from ideal

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

that its not really a big deal as enemies would simply have to come to you.

that is a big deal because they shoot you and you take damage

1 minute ago, Autongnosis said:

Imo you miss the point but have good ideas. Frost has a very good kit where every power has its place, even his 1 and his 2.

Well i agree with this? Not miss point part but the point that his kit is okay. My point is that they can be a bit more usable like exactly what your saying about ability interaction. The two ability ideas i mentioned do thus exactly

7 minutes ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

Enemies who enter rift freeze will freeze with limbos 2nd ability up. I think its called stasis, anyway you wont take damage

If you didn't notice you can't properly quote quotes easily, so what was displayed was:

Me: "Khora can't prevent enemies outside to shoot at you."

You: "Someone already said it, that its not really a big deal as enemies would simply have to come to you. You can use abilities to speed up the process."

Me: "that is a big deal because they shoot you and you take damage"

Edited by Oru5732

il y a 6 minutes, (PS4)Ghost--00-- a dit :

Well i agree with this? Not miss point part but the point that his kit is okay. My point is that they can be a bit more usable like exactly what your saying about ability interaction. The two ability ideas i mentioned do thus exactly

What i meant is exactly that, i mean healing the globe sounds fine but what i was talking about was making different skills work together not just to augment one another but to do actually different things. 

Frost kit while fully funcional lacks depth and interplay, and your idea tackles the issue (imo) the wrong way. Frost does not really need to have more tools to do the same thing, but the possibility to use his tools together to do different things. 

By the way that's not to say i wouldn't like your changes mind. It's just not the direction i would go in. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ghost--00-- said:

You know, I actually tried using the augment once but i couldnt find it better than using my globe since it applies a slow as well over a certain range 😕

Globe blocks bullets, ice wave doesnt.

Additionally, Ice wave is cast in front of you, and can travel through certain walls at the right angle, meaning you dont have to dive into the heart of the enemy forces in order to apply a slow.