Archgun feedback

RS219

Just thought I'd post my feedback here on some (not all) arch-guns given that they're going to become a heavy weapon class on ground missions. Probably need a balance pass.

Dual Decurion: tiny ammo clip, extremely bad accuracy. Numerous complaints on wikia comments about how terrible this weapon is, particularly the aforementioned lack of accuracy. Painful to use, badly needs an overhaul.

Grattler: Suffers from both miniature projectile size and travel time, not very useful if most shots simply fly past enemies and explode in the distance. Suggest to increase projectile hitbox, and perhaps add in a "flak mode" that incorporates a flat horizontal-axis hitbox a certain radius around the round, so that if the round passes by an enemy and is close enough it detonates anyway and deals damage to all enemies within explosion radius. Disadvantage of such a detection system would mean being unable to hit distant targets if enemies are crowding, and higher risk of blowing oneself up if enemies bumrush players, like butchers and infested? Regardless the rounds need their collision boxes increased. Maybe add in the suggested flak mode as an alternate fire alongside the conventional firing mode that the gun has.

Velocitus: For what's supposed to be a powerful railgun it's kind of an unfunny joke that it also suffers from a tiny hitbox and travel time (same issues as Grattler). Suggest to increase pinprick projectile size and make the round significantly faster in proj. speed or just make it hitscan when fully charged. Also needs to charge faster IMO, it's still a snail's pace even with Automatic Trigger charge rate ISN'T even affected by automatic trigger!. Also the projectile seems to be quite buggy; half the time it's a dud and does almost no or zero damage despite being fully charged, other times it gets blocked by an energy pickup, other times it has no punchthrough.

Phaedra: For something touted to be the "Soma's big sister" its crit stats are very disappointing, moreso since the crit mods for arch-gun are very weak. Needs a significant boost to crit chance and/or crit damage.

Cyngas: Nice status chance of 30%, but the only status chance mods are the limited Magma Chamber (pure elemental competes harder against this mod with arch-guns since they're both 2 points cheaper and do 30% more damage compared to their ground gun counterparts) and Modified Munitions (60% with no elemental). If other elemental/status mods aren't going to be released, suggest to buff Cyngas' status chance further and maybe up its horrid crit chance.

Corvas: Seems alright, but given the per-pellet % it has as a shotgun maybe both crit and status chance need a boost.

Edited by RS219

What kind of builds are you running on your arch guns? How many formas have you burned on them, do you have all the archgun mods and are they maxed?

I'm in the opposite camp. All of the guns feel hilariously overpowered. There is no archwing content currently in the game that is high level enough to justify half the damage I'm doing with my weapons. If we're gonna be bringing those into normal missions, they might need to be toned down, even if they take both primary/secondary slots.

My only beef is with the Corvas, which feels like it's spread is a bit too tight. 

10 minutes ago, Meneliki said:

If we're gonna be bringing those into normal missions, they might need to be toned down, even if they take both primary/secondary slots. 

You are comparing apples and oranges. Archwing enemies are scaled for Archwing weapons. Imperator Vandal (with a full crit build) has a mere DPS of 10k. That is about a third of Soma Prime, and Soma Prime ain't that good to begin with.

35 minutes ago, Meneliki said:

What kind of builds are you running on your arch guns? How many formas have you burned on them, do you have all the archgun mods and are they maxed?

I'm in the opposite camp. All of the guns feel hilariously overpowered. There is no archwing content currently in the game that is high level enough to justify half the damage I'm doing with my weapons. If we're gonna be bringing those into normal missions, they might need to be toned down, even if they take both primary/secondary slots.

My only beef is with the Corvas, which feels like it's spread is a bit too tight. 

Builds on arch-guns are ridiculously simple due to the lack of mod variety. You slap on elementals, rubedo barrel and maybe split shot and the crit mods. My guns have been forma'd several times over in preparation for the proposed port to ground missions. You're screwed if you want a status build, because there's only either magma chamber and pure status for mods in that direction; both 60%, so you can only put on +120% status chance as opposed to +240% on primary and secondary.

I find your opposite camp highly questionable, given the cumbersome difficulty in wielding some of these guns (Grattler, Velocitus) as well as the A-Team simulator that is Dual Decurion.

And don't forget that arch-guns have different sets of strengths and weaknesses. Arch-guns can only be modded for +45% fire rate (which might I add doesn't even assist Velocitus charging), 30% multishot and no punchthrough / reload(refill?) speed, charge rate mods. In exchange their elemental mods are stronger and cheaper and ammo isn't a concern - for now.

If arch-guns are ported over to ground missions while still being tied to their arch-gun exclusive mods most of them will be found wanting compared to the more flexible primary/secondary weapon modding system, especially when an arch-gun will take up both primary and secondary slots.

I recall Velocitus doing 1200 or so magnetic base damage, which might be the highest in game, and it's higher than Opticor's. The problem is the mods. Rubedo-lined Barrel, just 60% damage instead of 165% or 220%. Multishot, only a puny 30%. And I recall the crit mods weren't so hot either.

If we get arch-guns usable on ground and if they take all weapon space meaning you can't use other weapons with them, there's better be a reason to actually use them other than visual.

On top of that we need harder and different archwing content at some point, on top of the archwing movement overhaul people been demanding.

Corvas needs more spread for sure.

dual decuarion's issue is primarily the insane recoil. I think it would be much more accurate with less.

otherwise? Arch guns will be pretty similar (a little behind) normal weapons in terms of power. It'll be something you use for fun, not because it's good. You'll be trading mobility and 2 better weapons for the BFG you've wanted for so long. If DE wants them to be a viable choice, they've got some work to do.