Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrows useless ?.

Dreez76

Why ?.   Everytime i'm in an open game, doesn't matter if it's low mid or high ranked enemies, i end up reviving another player's doggy repeatedly while my sentinel rarely dies, unless i take multiple facefulls of bombard-rockets.   So why, after all these years, hasn't the Kubrow's survivability been adressed ?.  There are tons of really good skins and hard-to-get mods for them, but when asking around in the chats about the Kubrow, it seems like the general opinion even among the most veteran players, the Kubrow is better replaced by the much more dependable sentinel.

I believe this is a huge issue in terms of game balance and give the players no option but to discard the Kubrow for a better companion.

I think one of the main issues is the fact that Kubros take too long to acquire a target, specially those targeting them, the other issue is that they still have too much priority on enemies preferred targets.

Kubros hit hard which is a good thing but they need better target acquisition and atk speeds so they can split anyone who tries shooting at them.

My Helminth Charger does just fine on low - mid level missions (up to around 20-25). She has Pack Leader and Link Armor. Only use Sentinel for anything higher.

Just noticed I now also have Loyal Companion (+15% bleedout link). Got space to install it too.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

They have an absurd amount of survivability if you give them the mods that allow it and use them.

I'd say how often they die is more likely caused by the owners just neglecting their health/build.

edit: Actually thinking about it more there is also the group of people who use flow+quick thinking instead of health/shield mods. These builds do make your companions extremely fragile.

But these people really should not be using companions because of this (and personally I've seen many of these "builds" require more revives than their pets).

Edited by trst

11 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

I think one of the main issues is the fact that Kubros take too long to acquire a target, specially those targeting them, the other issue is that they still have too much priority on enemies preferred targets.

Kubros hit hard which is a good thing but they need better target acquisition and atk speeds so they can split anyone who tries shooting at them.

They do need to go after targets faster. And they need to disengage faster when you leave. I hate when my dog/kavat dies fighting an enemy I already left behind

To those people saying it takes them too long to acquire targets, have you been putting your attack precepts near the front of your mod list? Sentinels and Companions execute their mod cards in the order from left to right. So if you have scavenge there it might be prioritising looking for lockers over attacking things, or getting confused.

I like kubrows and kavats but can be tough sometimes to keep them alive at higher levels.  I usually run carrier for the extra ammo and conversion because well sometimes its just fun to spray and pray.....but in the back of my mind i really want to have my kubrow watching my back.  Its fun to watch him grapple with a nox lol.

For the kuva floods and smeeta i take inaros with a umbra health build 8525 health and smeeta has over 14k health.  Between pack leader and medi pet kit she never has to be revived.

9 minutes ago, Streaky_Haddock said:

To those people saying it takes them too long to acquire targets, have you been putting your attack precepts near the front of your mod list? Sentinels and Companions execute their mod cards in the order from left to right. So if you have scavenge there it might be prioritising looking for lockers over attacking things, or getting confused.

When talking about Kubro/Kavat`s attack, we are referring to their Basic attack and not Modded attacks/abilities.

56 minutes ago, Kaotyke said:

I believe that those guys didnt give their doggo ANY kind of survivalbility Mods.

Its not the Petto, its the player.

Or they gave them survivability mods but are using them with a frame that doesn't have the stats to make that Companion survivability mod worthwhile. 

The fact that Companion survivability mods are so tied to the frame you are using is one of their issues IMO. Don't get me wrong with the "right" frame you can have a unkillable godtier Companion but that really hurts Companions because it makes a lot of frames kinda "incompatible".

sahasa kubrows with [Dig] mods can spawn energy orbs
usually around 3 x energy orbs or 75 energy.
if you have maxed arcane energize you will get extra energy boost from the arcane.
if you use banshee with primed flow and efficiency + max range sound quake
you will pretty much have an infinite energy regen ( you still need to move around a little )

dig-r5.png
Dig have cooldown of 15 second and Cast time of 5 second.

Edited by HEA-Devazone

9 minutes ago, HEA-Devazone said:

sahasa kubrows with [Dig] mods can spawn energy orbs
usually around 3 x energy orbs or 75 energy.
if you have maxed arcane energize you will extra energy boost from the arcane.
if you use banshee with primed flow and efficiency + max range quake quake
you will pretty much have an infinite energy regen ( you still need to move around a little )

dig-r5.png
Dig have cooldown of 15 second and Cast time of 5 second.

I've actually gotten a stance mod I was farming hard for at the last minute of a mission because of this. 

Pretty much all pets are useless compared to sentinels. Only time they don't die straight off the bat is if you have them fully modded(6+ forma) and use them with an already tanky frame. Personally I only ever use smeeta, but that's because I find sentinels INCREDIBLY boring, and cats are cute, and the buffs are nice too i guess.

I've been doing quite a bit of solo Teralyst, public tridolons and kuva floods lately. My adarza was downed once during a tridolon last week I think... That's it. If people bring unmodded unranked pets as MR fodder to missions while using frames with low health they die, obviously, if they are well built they are tough as nails. Also my Raksa kubrow is the only reason I got through the second dream in one piece back then. 

Pets are used in a different fashion than Senti. Senti are made for going into combat with hordes of mobs coming at you while you go blastathon. Kubrows each fit a different style of hunting when I use them. When using them as a hunting companion, they work verily well. 

Try taking them out to do Spy missions with Frames that do not turn invisible or Capture missions where you go for getting as stealthy close without being seen by the crew. I have not used the digger but may do a few runs with them now that I know a mod can be dug up. Thanks for the info @Hypernaut1.

My Adarza Kavat is pretty much just for looks and some company in my Orbiter mostly.  I love the 60% crit chance to melee attacks it provides (10secs of increased melee crit every 20 secs) on my Rhino P with Fragor P

I have pack leader but dont have any link mods for her, so i have to constantly attack to make sure she doesnt drop.  I will need to revive my Kavat 2-3 times in a 20 wave Hydron run with full squad.

I also use her with Valkyr P and Hirudos because of the pack leader mod.  Synergizes very well with the Hirudo build i use.

If modded right and paired with the right frame, i dont think they are that weak.  Sentinels are stronger in my experience but thats because i dont have the right survival mods for my Kavat just yet.

Edited by (PS4)brettles1983

they bleedout plain and simple, no matter how much armor.shields/health they have they'll die/get downed quicker than a sentinel. I don't use these pets because they have no survivability and get themselves killed since you have no control over them= useless.

fact# 3 they always get stuck even in an open field. fact #4 they will get a whole team downed trying to revive them. fact #5 only useful at low levels.

some of the mods they have that link them to the frames for surviving should also be for sentinels or give sentinels better self healing.

inaros cant keep them alive that long either, if they were better than sentinels you would see them in ESO and other mid- low high level missions.

no matter how hard you try with these doggies/kats they are ultimately not worth the hassle.

I believe Scott mentioned in a devstream a while back that he was considering Pets 2.0: reworking companions as a whole. hopefully it would involve giving them better AI (though that is stretch, and increased stats along with better abilities. Kavats are more or less fine, it's the Kubrows and Helminth Chargers that need it more. I have a feeling this problem is only going to worsen with the introduction of the MOA companion: either the MOAs will be great and we'll have another reason not to use Kubrows, or the MOAs will be be bad an then we'll have to wait ages for them to be reworked, and Kubrows will continue to be neglected. 

it doesn't look like it's gonna pan out well for our doggos no matter what. once Fortuna is out of the way, we'll need to start collectively pressing DE in the Feedback Forums to consider looking at our companions again and making them more worthwhile to use.

As someone who breeds and uses both kavats and kubrow, you don't know how to use pets if you find them useless compared to sentinels. They have way more survivability. The reason people don't think this is because they can be revived, which others find annoying, (I won't revive other peoples' pets most of the time tbh,) whereas sentinels just expire, and/or take advantage of regen/primed regen in the process. 

When I've switched back and forth between Helios in new areas or during an event, I've been flustered by not having vacuum for a few hours at most before I found myself appreciating what the pet I was using had as its breed-specific mods.