Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Turn Augments Into Passives || FOCUS FOR WARFRAMES

DADEFUYE

Evolution of warframe builds and Passives
_all tied to a new focus type. The Goal is to reduce the use of MODs and add diversity to builds and playstyles.

----certain mod effects should become a unique perk for certain frames, weapons, etc. there will be additional reasons to use certain frames and items. A lot of mods currently in the game seems like a layer peeled from a frame; therefore most Augments and certain mods should automatically become passives to certain warframes.
    -It could be done by allowing the player to unlock these perks in a focus-like system. there are certain boons that players will acquire by playing the game using the desired frame or weapon. once they acquire enough, they will be able to use those points to unlock a certain passive i.e. flame repellant for ember, or ice resistance for hydroid. these elemental immunities can be 50%.
This focus based system will revolutionize the diversity in builds. it will also limit market involvement in how players get stronger. certain weapons like the rubico prime will have a way for you to unlock a unique perk like a timed explosive-shot. some of these features are possible with some of the Fortuna mods. but, this will make more sense for players to unlock this tree branch for their weapons.
-to limit player abusing it, there could be a limit to the number of perks you can equip each time. If a warframe has a total of 5 perks that can be unlocked, players can only use 2 at a time.

----this can also be attributed to things like, " forma this weapon 2x to unlock the all this tree.", or "forma this warframe 3 times to unlock a special passive that lets hydroid walk on water". these are just examples. 

JDt0ZAA.pngIMAGE 1:

Edited by DADEFUYE
punctuation

I certainly like the idea and spirit of this change, what with making it so that augments can actually be used without taking up precious build space (Looking at you Rhino), though locking these changes behind forma is less than ideal I think. While this would work in some cases (Chroma needs at least 4-5 forma to get a decent build), in others I can only see this causing frustration. For example, Oberon/Oberon Prime. While Oberon does need some forma to get a good build, Oberon Prime needs 0-1. However, if Phoenix Renewal were locked behind 3, 4, maybe even 5 forma, as it's a 3rd ability, then I'd rather have the augment mod, as that would require less time and resources. Perhaps instead of forma, frames/weapons would get a second exp bar, and as you filled that you would unlock additional passives. That way, you can apply a story reason, like "As your operator uses a frame/weapon they have already mastered, they learn how to make it even more effective, removing the need to make some modifications, and bolstering the frames/weapons already considerable strength." Just an alternate suggestion, feel free to tell me why or why it won't work.

Edited by NobleLeader6
Grammar and some added words.

i tought about a perk system for augments, but didn't tought about put it into a focus like system!

I agree, it could totally work, and they can convert the augments to perk, so you still need to unlock them via syndicates, but then you don't have to crush your head on the lack of mod slots for the build!

and they can do something similar for the mandatory mods maybe

It's a very interesting idea, and a very creative one too, might help some frame like rhino be able to get rid of his ironskin when it's at like 5%

Would be nice to have rhino have passives that make him tanky outside of using ironskin which is what most rhino players play him for.

Edited by Rockibe

+1 

This idea is better than the current Warframe Passive system that we have, and I hope DE will consider a system like this in the future. I also think, instead of "Forma this X times to unlock...", I'd rather have just to Forma it once to unlock the whole systems and then enhanced the unique perk using some kind of points. This idea opens the opportunity to revisit again the whole Warframe Passive. 

IMO some of the Warframe Passive (i.e Mag, Chroma, and Oberon) is there just for the sake to fill out those passive slots, nothing else. 

@DADEFUYE 

I’d like for all of this to be farmed passively by just reaching a certain amount of xp with said warframe. It just makes sense. No new type of grind system has to be added. For example I have about 27 million xp on my chroma. That xp could be used to unlock some of the passives in your idea instead of creating some new grind element. Hell it could be a combination of xp and kills.

Would also like to see this idea applied to melee weapon classes as it would seem to give players a REAL sense of MASTERY when it comes to warframes and melees. We Could actually potentially create a mastery rework out of this instead leveling stuff ASAP at hydron.

This idea could be huge, I’ve always hoped they’d consider a skill tree when focus first came out. I’m glad someone else sees the potential in this for warframes as well

I like the idea of perks being unlocked the more you use a warframe but the idea of putting 7 formas on a build to unlock passives doesn't really work with all frames so I like the XP system idea better. warframe already keeps track of the XP a frame has gained so we could eliminate having to grind frames that have already been formaed 7 times. and the amount of formas doesn't really show how much you use a frame as my revenant has 7 formas on it but I have literally only leveled it up for the sake of completing the build. I also think this kind of system would also be nice on weapons maybe actually help make the simulor good again. However I do think that it'll affect future frames and weapons as DE might make the abilities in a way that the perk is essential which would be bad. Either way I want this implemented DE PLEASE. Imagine having all those extra mod slots. Equinox, Rhino, Ash, Mag, basically A nice reward system for playing with a certain frame.

I agree to this. This adds a specialization for each frame. Also, this encourage people to play more different frames at longer duration because it adds a progression which makes the frames fun to play instead of struggling what augment to use to make a frame bearable to play.

For example, Valkyr - whatever build I make for her(eternal war build, hysteria build) eternal war augment is always there. No flexibility at all. Its always power str and duration. 

Overall, having them as passives adds a multidimensional style of play for each warframe. What will differ now is how we use our usual mods. It also increases the value of each frame. 

Most importantly, I can use prime sure footed to my build. 🤷‍♂️

The argument if being too OP is debateable at best for me cause frames are always OP with right mods and what content you bring it to. What make this idea so good is the creativity we can do during gameplay.

I'd prefer it not tied to forma in of itself as adding polarities just for an upgrade system and not because you want them for builds would be irritating to the frames flexibility or simply just to overwrite other polarities.

That said as augments are the realm of syndicates, it could be an option to use the augments themselves as the upgrading process (no need for new assets).  Thus if you commit one augment to the frame, it gives the augment as a passive at rank 0, a second of that augment makes it rank 1, two more (third and forth) to make it rank 2 and four more (fifth to eighth) to make it rank 3 (essentially how upgrading mods with duplicates used to work).

This would then give much more use for syndicate rep (as currently you only need to actually purchase each augment once) and have an associated effort  as well (225k rep as opposed to just the 25k now) without impacting forma use.  While making much more demand for the augments through trading as well (to fill out those powers).

This could then mean players can make an augment permanent, by embedding it into a frame (making it more unique), or use them as a mod (for builds you may not want the augment on, though the ability to turn it on and off like focus nodes could work too).

Likewise DE can still release these additions like they do now for augments already and not have to worry about newer frames not having a set from the start.

Sure some augments are close to being considered "essentials" others irrelevant because they take up a slot thus not ideal for more power, but can make for interesting options instead if not taking up slots.

I see the potential but a few things to remember. Right now nothing stops me from having FUN and using all four of a warframe's augments. For Hydroid I use 3/4 curative, corrosive, pilfering. Saves me from swapping out a new setup each mission. If there was a new limit that would hold me back from using Hydroid in a way that I want to. Nothing says I have to survive in a mission if I am just being silly on the plains or something. Also, forma restricts builds. My Limbo needed 3 forma, if we went this route I would only be able to use 2 augments where as my Limbo Prime only needed 1 forma and honestly barely that I was just testing something when I was bored. Maybe not locking it behind forma would help this. Not every frame wants/needs an umbral build. There are not too many reasons beyond that to have to dump so much forma into a frame, especially a prime.

Another thing is, in that case you would effectively make syndicates almost irrelevant. True you still have captura scenes and weapons but a great deal of a syndicate are the augments. Removing that from them would take much more than there is to gain. 

I do like the idea of freeing up mod space in some way though. I personally fall in line with the idea of using them like how arcanes function now. Or even make it so that they all function the same way as exilus mods. Gives me a reason to need an exilus adapter besides +15% slide and a tap of range. I like using speed drift or cunning but realistically I do not need it and could have saved myself the trouble/platinum.

I would even be okay with just making augment slots that you have to unlock with an adapter, each time you forma, or new form of key. But at current I have no reason to add a bunch of forma if I have different configurations for a frame. My A on Limbo P is max duration, B is max range, C is a hybrid with two augments. Obviously, if I forma'd Limbo P more than what I have I would not be able to make the set ups as the mods required for each are different polarities.

I know I stay on Limbo as just one example but the idea behind this is to use your favorite frame. Limbo has been my favorite since pre-stasis and duration rift walk. That is my two credits on the idea.

So you want to reincarnate early alpha's skill trees for all equipment, but with selective bonuses? Nice, but what about 2, 3 or even 4 aug builds some people use? For me, it's better to get another dedicated slot for augs, or, maybe, implement "Augsilus" adapter that allows Exilus slot to hold all augments.

I suppose we could use syndicate standing or focus points instead of forma ? 
or XP collected, since focus only took a little of XP.

Anyway here is my envisions.

trinity_school_by_xianghua-dcpl4e4.jpg

we could have multiple tier of 1,2,3,4 skill augments, which the more you use a frame, your additional XP clocked will unlock
the tiers.

Tier 1 - unlocked at 25,000,000 XP
Tier 2 - unlocked at 50,000,000 XP

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

• 1 month later...

Generally liked the idea +1. However, instead of forma or XP, imho a good way to "lock" some of the passives would be with quests. This way, the syndicates continues to be relevant (some of the quests could be syndicate-locked, for example) and players could get to know more about the specific frame lore (just like Mirage or Harrow quests). Maybe a hybrid version, "you need the quest to unlock the tree, and then you use the frame xp for leveling", could work greatly.