Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee 3.0 Sound Additions and Changes got problems

Honisgrave

The loud bang that occurs on the start of a slide attack is awful - same sound for every weapon

as is the metal on metal scraping noise on a slide attack that seems to have replaced all the other sounds.

DE this sound physically hurts and I don't want to play your game because of it.

There was nothing wrong with the slide attack sound before this update.

Melee Sound Additions & Changes:
Melee 3.0 continues in development, but the Sound Team has gone above and beyond to bring hot fresh sounds for all Melee weapons! 

From the desk of Audio Director George:
‘We started working on Melee 3.0 sounds and made so many cool improvements to low-level things like hit effects, Foley, field-of-view, and general sound cleanup that we wanted to get it out ASAP.  We still have a bunch of new sounds that will be releasing with the full Melee 3.0 overhaul as well.’

• New impact sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New slam sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New heavy attack sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New slide attack sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • Added Melee sounds to Valkyr’s Hysteria ability.
  • Cleaned up Melee weapon sounds when hitting floors and walls during combat.
  • Removed music occlusion when bullet jumping.

1 minute ago, poxitron said:

Yeah, I don't see the point in adding that sound to the slide attack, unless they want the players to stop using the spin2win.

It's an awfully wrong decision

It's for Melee 3.0, we'll have to see how it works then.

On a side note I love all the new sounds, especially the slide sound since it doesn't sound so wimpy anymore.

I just want Spin attack, Slam attack and Charge attack to have toggable options to NOT use those sounds. 

Sounds like something for staying alert on, like special boss moves or environmental change. If these options aren't on... I'd just rather mute the game and have something else play in sound, as I not only find them annoying, but also distracting.

2 hours ago, Honisgrave said:

The loud bang that occurs on the start of a slide attack is awful - same sound for every weapon

as is the metal on metal scraping noise on a slide attack that seems to have replaced all the other sounds.

DE this sound physically hurts and I don't want to play your game because of it.

There was nothing wrong with the slide attack sound before this update.

Melee Sound Additions & Changes:
Melee 3.0 continues in development, but the Sound Team has gone above and beyond to bring hot fresh sounds for all Melee weapons!

From the desk of Audio Director George:
‘We started working on Melee 3.0 sounds and made so many cool improvements to low-level things like hit effects, Foley, field-of-view, and general sound cleanup that we wanted to get it out ASAP. We still have a bunch of new sounds that will be releasing with the full Melee 3.0 overhaul as well.’

• New impact sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New slam sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New heavy attack sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • New slide attack sounds for all Melee weapons.
  • Added Melee sounds to Valkyr’s Hysteria ability.
  • Cleaned up Melee weapon sounds when hitting floors and walls during combat.
  • Removed music occlusion when bullet jumping.

Thanks for the feedback, we will look in to it. Was this happening for all weapons, or a specific weapon ?

After going through 62 different melee weapons, I haven't noticed ANY "loud bang" that has been described here. 62 weapons, and the slide attack sound fx sounds identical on all of them. I even went through exalted weapons as well and have no "loud bang" at the start of slide attacks. When I use a slam attack, I hear the crack of lightning before the weapon connects with the ground and then there's a "loud bang" in that animation sound fx, but there is nothing on slide attacks.

Unless it's a very specific weapon, I have not heard this "loud bang" Are you sure you didn't mistake slam attack sound fx for slide attack?

I went through sword, dual swords, machete, heavy blade, hammer, fist, sparring, claw, sword and shield, gunblade, whip, blade whip, polearm, staff, dagger, dual daggers, rapier, nikana, tonfa, glaive, warfan, scythe, and exalted weapons.

That's every weapon catagory I have, and that should be all that there is anyway. So it's got to be a VERY specific melee weapon, or you're mistaken slam attack sound fx for slide attack.

Edit: It seems I do not own any Nunchaku type melee weapons.

Edited by Alcatraz

Wanted to post something similar, especially about the slide spin attack that is idiotically bass boosted too much, my subwoofer trembles when i do it now.
The person who made those sounds didn't use the standard equalizer settings or normal speakers it seems. New sounds are nice, they are just unbalanced in sound volume to comparison to other sounds like music and other effects
(I noticed a lot of new game developers do this kind of mistake nowadays)

48 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

After going through 62 different melee weapons, I haven't noticed ANY "loud bang" that has been described here. 62 weapons, and the slide attack sound fx sounds identical on all of them. I even went through exalted weapons as well and have no "loud bang" at the start of slide attacks. When I use a slam attack, I hear the crack of lightning before the weapon connects with the ground and then there's a "loud bang" in that animation sound fx, but there is nothing on slide attacks.

Unless it's a very specific weapon, I have not heard this "loud bang" Are you sure you didn't mistake slam attack sound fx for slide attack?

I went through sword, dual swords, machete, heavy blade, hammer, fist, sparring, claw, sword and shield, gunblade, whip, blade whip, polearm, staff, dagger, dual daggers, rapier, nikana, tonfa, glaive, warfan, scythe, and exalted weapons.

That's every weapon catagory I have, and that should be all that there is anyway. So it's got to be a VERY specific melee weapon, or you're mistaken slam attack sound fx for slide attack.

If you don't hear the loud bang, then you are obviously using some crap headset or speakers with sh1tty subwoofer.

9 minutes ago, Xonerix said:

Wanted to post something similar, especially about the slide spin attack that is idiotically bass boosted too much, my subwoofer trembles when i do it now.
The person who made those sounds didn't use the standard equalizer settings or normal speakers it seems. New sounds are nice, they are just unbalanced in sound volume to comparison to other sounds like music and other effects
(I noticed a lot of new game developers do this kind of mistake nowadays)

Thanks for the feedback. The bass content in the spin sound was un-intended and will be fixed soon, as well as some minor volume adjustments.

Very disappointed with the supposed "hot new" melee sounds so far as a primary melee player. Thought the sounds before were generally fine. With some of the sounds, I can't believe someone actually said "this is what a cool melee weapon would sound like." In no particular order.

The cool, throaty bass drum type slam "BOOM" of the kronsh was replaced with something like a weak, "whooshy splat." I assume other slam weapons were similarly changed, was too annoyed to test them all. The slam sound is just plain bad, not satisfying as it was. A slam should sound like a BOOM slam and it no longer does. Why? Please consider reverting to the kronsh sound for all melee slams. It was very good as it was.

Arca Titron makes clangy sounds when it is being swung and not impacting anything. Too much clang/clank generally, assume other weapons that had clang added are similar. Didn't test them all, again, was annoying to be swinging a hammer that sounded like it had loose parts clanging around inside.

Dagger, staves and several other weapons sound overly swooshy (there is excessive, inexplicable "swoosh" in all the weapons I tested, every single one) and like thwacking or tearing a paper or plastic bag on impact. Surely thwacking/tearing a paper bag wasn't the extent of the Foley.

Whips should crack. They were fairly close to that prior, but now are not any more. Like many other weapons, there is too much whoosh/swish in the whip spin. It should be a short, pronounced swish and a definitive crack/snap at the end with the emphasis on crack.

There are several other melee bugs that could be related to the sound changes. Dispatch Overdrive mod doesn't work at all in the simulacrum, and I could only get it to work one time in a mission out of many tries. Twirling Spire, Stinging Thorn, and other stances don't seem to be buffed fully by Arcane Strike (or could be not fully buffed by Berserker), or have been inexplicably slowed, significantly slower than previous, while other stances remain OK and spin speed remains full speed. Forward momentum is inexplicably reduced in several stances, while inexplicably and excessively increased in Tempo Royale August Mesto and a couple of others. I believe that the zaw exodia arcanes Valor and Triumph are not buffing damage to the extent they are supposed to compared to previously, but evidencing that would be tough. I do -lots- of testing melee, and the TTK is noticeably increased on zaws with those exodia.

Maybe others feel differently, but as a primary melee player, am very disappointed in the sounds as they stand and all these headscratching melee bugs this patch added. Thanks.

Edited by Buttaface

3 hours ago, Buttaface said:

Very disappointed with the supposed "hot new" melee sounds so far as a primary melee player. Thought the sounds before were generally fine. With some of the sounds, I can't believe someone actually said "this is what a cool melee weapon would sound like." In no particular order.

The cool, throaty bass drum type slam "BOOM" of the kronsh was replaced with something like a weak, "whooshy splat." I assume other slam weapons were similarly changed, was too annoyed to test them all. The slam sound is just plain bad, not satisfying as it was. A slam should sound like a BOOM slam and it no longer does. Why? Please consider reverting to the kronsh sound for all melee slams. It was very good as it was.

Arca Titron makes clangy sounds when it is being swung and not impacting anything. Too much clang/clank generally, assume other weapons that had clang added are similar. Didn't test them all, again, was annoying to be swinging a hammer that sounded like it had loose parts clanging around inside.

Dagger, staves and several other weapons sound overly swooshy (there is excessive, inexplicable "swoosh" in all the weapons I tested, every single one) and like thwacking or tearing a paper or plastic bag on impact. Surely thwacking/tearing a paper bag wasn't the extent of the Foley.

Whips should crack. They were fairly close to that prior, but now are not any more. Like many other weapons, there is too much whoosh/swish in the whip spin. It should be a short, pronounced swish and a definitive crack/snap at the end with the emphasis on crack.

There are several other melee bugs that could be related to the sound changes. Dispatch Overdrive mod doesn't work at all in the simulacrum, and I could only get it to work one time in a mission out of many tries. Twirling Spire, Stinging Thorn, and other stances don't seem to be buffed fully by Arcane Strike (or could be not fully buffed by Berserker), or have been inexplicably slowed, significantly slower than previous, while other stances remain OK and spin speed remains full speed. Forward momentum is inexplicably reduced in several stances, while inexplicably and excessively increased in Tempo Royale August Mesto and a couple of others. I believe that the zaw exodia arcanes Valor and Triumph are not buffing damage to the extent they are supposed to compared to previously, but evidencing that would be tough. I do -lots- of testing melee, and the TTK is noticeably increased on zaws with those exodia.

Maybe others feel differently, but as a primary melee player, am very disappointed in the sounds as they stand and all these headscratching melee bugs this patch added. Thanks.

I had the same reaction to the Kronsh sound, that great hollow drum sound from before was gone and this new over bass boom was ruining the experience. 

I've not tested as much but I was noticing similar issues.

I use melee quite a bit. The ether daggers I was leveling earlier today sound very strange with the new sounds (especially the slam attacks). I've used a zaw for a long time (heavy blade type, cleaving whirlwind stance) and suddenly it sounds horrifically unsatisfying - not to mention the huge WHOMP noise every other strike. It sounds more like a sci-fi blaster cannon sound, in my opinion, than a melee weapon - I can't imagine it as being a melee weapon sound at all. The old slicing sounds also seem somewhat muted, but I'm not sure if that's a side effect of the contrast between the normal and the WHOMP, or something I'm actually hearing.

Some of the sounds, (for instance when a weapon actually hits an enemy), don't sound bad, and I could get used to them.  Some of the others, however, are jarring and do not fit the weapon class. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Heavy Blades in particular sound like one is striking a metal can with a fork when they impact a wall.  No mass, no weight, no feel of swinging a large piece of metal at all.  Likewise the pinging noise when one starts charging an attack is strange, and serves no purpose within gameplay that I can see. The previous version, a crescendo as you wind up, was both audible and, while not different between weapon classes, fit the animation and the attack.

DE, I know you guys have a lot to work on, maintain, and debug. Why is changing melee sound effects even on the menu? Polishing existing sound files for a major update I can understand. Adding completely new sounds in what is largely a bug fix patch just makes very little sense to me.  I would recommend the "sound team" be spot checked for any future changes they want to make, because these ones are not up to par.

I have audio sensory issues and I can't stand the new sound effects. Melee is one of the main reasons I play warframe and I can't use it the way it currently is, and unless DE brings the olod sounds back or at least makes ones that are not high pitched like this, I'm not going to be able to continue playing this game. Also why did they even do this? Whith the number of things they're busy with who had time to do this? No one was asking for new sound effects as far as I'm aware. If any DE staff members see this, please, I have over 15 hundred hours of playtime in warframe, but if this doesn't get fixed I'm not going to have many more. I'm not trying to sound threatening or angry, but I just will not be able to play this game due to the sensory discomfort of these new sounds if they don't change back. 

On 2018-10-13 at 3:14 PM, dorkzillaa said:

Some of the sounds, (for instance when a weapon actually hits an enemy), don't sound bad, and I could get used to them.  Some of the others, however, are jarring and do not fit the weapon class. In addition to the ones mentioned above, Heavy Blades in particular sound like one is striking a metal can with a fork when they impact a wall.  No mass, no weight, no feel of swinging a large piece of metal at all.  Likewise the pinging noise when one starts charging an attack is strange, and serves no purpose within gameplay that I can see. The previous version, a crescendo as you wind up, was both audible and, while not different between weapon classes, fit the animation and the attack.

DE, I know you guys have a lot to work on, maintain, and debug. Why is changing melee sound effects even on the menu? Polishing existing sound files for a major update I can understand. Adding completely new sounds in what is largely a bug fix patch just makes very little sense to me.  I would recommend the "sound team" be spot checked for any future changes they want to make, because these ones are not up to par.

agreed. sword sounds are pretty good. but bigger heavier weapons like heavy blades, polearms etc just dont have the right amount of oomph. especially when they strike a wall, the sfx r so gentle it feels terrible.

another thing thats really bad is the slam attack. sounds horrible. doesnt sound like a powerful physical collision of anything. sounds like a weird corpus energy gun instead. pew pew slam attack...

21 hours ago, Vorox4 said:

I have audio sensory issues and I can't stand the new sound effects. Melee is one of the main reasons I play warframe and I can't use it the way it currently is, and unless DE brings the olod sounds back or at least makes ones that are not high pitched like this, I'm not going to be able to continue playing this game. Also why did they even do this? Whith the number of things they're busy with who had time to do this? No one was asking for new sound effects as far as I'm aware. If any DE staff members see this, please, I have over 15 hundred hours of playtime in warframe, but if this doesn't get fixed I'm not going to have many more. I'm not trying to sound threatening or angry, but I just will not be able to play this game due to the sensory discomfort of these new sounds if they don't change back. 

Agreed. Something in the melee changes/bugs is making me physically ill and nauseated after only a few minutes of melee play. I believe some extra degree of shake may have been added that cannot be turned off with screen shake control, whether that's the case, something is very different. Forward movement on certain combos is excessive, which could be part of it, and the sounds themselves have excessive repetitive "white noise" added and other qualities that could also create nausea. Played the game on Friday actively for an hour or so and was nauseated for hours after. Same yesterday, but stopped playing the instant it started so it wasn't as bad and didn't take as long to recover. Didn't play today and have been nausea free.

Also wanted to mention that the new sentient sword Paracesis (sp?) also has the annoying "shaking a bag of wrenches" clang at inexplicable times that other heavy weapons seem to have.

Edited by Buttaface

On 2018-10-12 at 12:45 PM, Alcatraz said:

If you have the 'Cleaving Whirlwind' stance for heavy blade, do the direct spam combo with the vertical slices.  The new slam sound plays for each one.

In all honesty can't say I'm a huge fan of the sounds. 

Now admittedly I've been using the paracyst mainly of late (the joy of levelling) and to me it honestly sounds like I'm swinging gara around (It sounds like you've literally reused gara's sound files...), it sounds too much like glass imo not enough like a 'heavy metal object'.  Not sure I'm keen on the reverb you've added either. 

I also don't understand why I'm getting 'metallic/glass' noises when I'm not actually hitting anything and it's just swinging through the air, shouldn't that be more of a 'swoosh' noise.

Edited by LSG501

Is there any way that the sounds could just go back to the old versions? Or at least have a "Legacy sounds" option of some sort? I don't think cleaving a space facist in half with my broken war without that satisfying swoosh will ever feel quite the same.

Edited by Vorox4

12 hours ago, [DE]George said:

Thanks for all the feedback.  A lot of the new sounds that went in to this update are geared towards melee 3.0.  We're going to look at tweaking them so that they fit in better with the current system.

Glad to see somebody is keeping an ear out (hah).  I've heard now from several people in game and seen it mentioned above that some of the new sounds are causing nausea. Personally I do not have this problem, but it is something to consider.

I would recommend any tweaks err on the side of the older sounds than the new.  Now almost every weapon class sounds the same, it is cognitively dissonant.  As I mentioned above, if there was one particular sound that needs to be reverted it is the charge attack sound.  Or at least make it crescendo into the pinging noise, not ping every time you start the charge.

Also: It could be my imagination but some of the new sounds (usually the "struck a wall" sound) seem to crowd out and play over other sounds during missions. For instance, on the same swing that killed an enemy if it strikes a wall the new tinkle sound cuts off the sound of me striking the enemy.

Edited by dorkzillaa
grammar/punctuation