Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gear wheel rework was unnecessary and is inefficient

krimit

Hello again DE.  i am here because i have issues with the new gear wheel being confusing, inefficient, hard to use, and frustrating as a result.  the new gear wheel has half of it translucent so you can't see all the items equipped. the number of gear items has been removed making it difficult to know how many gear items you have and how many you have spent in the mission. since these items require resources and time to craft saving as many as possible and knowing how many you have is important real time ingame in combat.  when a player is in combat being shot and needs to place a gear item that is not bound to a key its awfully difficult to 1. find the correct item quickly. and 2. quickly determine if you have enough of that gear item for it to be expendable.

please revert the gear wheel back to the old gear wheel it was much more functional and useful.  an aesthetically pleasing gear wheel is wasted if it cna't preform reliably.  also personally i think the gear wheel spiral is not aesthetically pleasing and doesn't add anything.....a normal circle looks good too? go figure?

8 minutes ago, krimit said:

the number of gear items has been removed

I just looked at mine and saw how many specters I had, so unless something else is going on, you might be wrong here.

9 minutes ago, krimit said:

when a player is in combat being shot and needs to place a gear item that is not bound to a key its awfully difficult to 1. find the correct item quickly. and 2. quickly determine if you have enough of that gear item for it to be expendable.

Then bind what you want to use quickly to a free key.

for some reason devs keep pushing this "textless" ui concept forward. highlight the gear item to know how much left is unacceptable UX design + tab for emotes kills it completely.
truth is main/head info should be visible and additional can be hidden. not like ALL HIDDEN. this is not just gearwheel, this thing happen to many parts of UI and as it seems not going to be fixed cause it's not a mistake, it's "design" L: eh.

Edited by penguins_rod

I loathe the new interface. half the wheel winds up very difficult to read/focus on without me pointing the mouse at the item I want to use. The thing is, how am I supposed to figure out where to focus when I have to wave the mouse around to see the icons clearly? Yes, I know where my most used items are, but there's a lot of the wheel that I don't use every mission that I want to know where things are at a glance. Even one second extra lag can be fatal in the situations where I'm willing to use spectres et. al.

This may seem  petty. To a certain extent, I acknowledge that it is petty. The new interface is something I'll be forced to tolerate, not something I expect to ever like or even be comfortable with. If nothing else, could we get a toggle in settings to use the old code? You already have that written, after all, so letting us use it shouldn't be that much work, I think.

I agree with those above. To me, the Gear Wheel UI feels like a move away from PC UI towards Console UI. 

I understand they have multiple platforms for the game to run on but an option should be in Interface to allow for choosing which Gear Wheel style we want, like with Legacy Colours and so on. At least then at least it is a player choice in the end.

The main flaws to the new wheel, from my point of view, if they were to be fixed is:

• When you remove an item, it closes up the gap instead of leaving an open space. 
    • This was noticeable when replacing an item with a pre-existing item from another slot. It moved the item from say slot 8 to slot 2 and closed the gap 8 created.
  • When more items are added, the neutral #1 slot is moved around the wheel instead of being the anchor point at the north position.
    • This throws off the numbering idea, at least in my head, of knowing that #1 is the top slot and working around the wheel from there.
  • Location of Emotes... This feels bloated, in a way, where you have to hold a key for the gear wheel and then press tab to swap to emotes. I didn't use emotes often but with the extra press, it feels unnecessary.

There are probably more but these would be the majors and even then the emote dot point feels petty and something that wouldn't phase me in the end but #1 and 2 are more major to help adjust the UI change to be more favourable.

On 2018-10-12 at 10:20 PM, krimit said:

Hello again DE.  i am here because i have issues with the new gear wheel being confusing, inefficient, hard to use, and frustrating as a result.  the new gear wheel has half of it translucent so you can't see all the items equipped. the number of gear items has been removed making it difficult to know how many gear items you have and how many you have spent in the mission. since these items require resources and time to craft saving as many as possible and knowing how many you have is important real time ingame in combat.  when a player is in combat being shot and needs to place a gear item that is not bound to a key its awfully difficult to 1. find the correct item quickly. and 2. quickly determine if you have enough of that gear item for it to be expendable.

please revert the gear wheel back to the old gear wheel it was much more functional and useful.  an aesthetically pleasing gear wheel is wasted if it cna't preform reliably.  also personally i think the gear wheel spiral is not aesthetically pleasing and doesn't add anything.....a normal circle looks good too? go figure?

That's the drawback when everything in a PC-game gets "console-ized"... how i'm supposed to hold down the gear wheel-key AND press another key to get my funny emotes AND...  :/   

(no grudge against consoles, i do own a couple of these things myself)

Edited by Gebuesch
typo

Yeah I hate the new gear wheel too, it takes a lot more effort to just trigger an energy pizza etc because it keeps spinning away from where I'm heading all the damn time.  It just does not work when using a mouse and keyboard. 

I know it's new and it might take some getting used to but if I'm having to literally stop what I'm doing focus entirely on just finding the item I want because it's never at '1' on the dial then there's something drastically wrong with the design.