Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I don’t know what to spend with platinum

garrentanavaro

Question

18 answers to this question

Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket.

Silver and gold potatoes (Orokin add ons to frames and weapons) are incredibly rare, and past Saturn every weapon/frame needs them to not be useless. They cost 20p each.

Weapon and frame slots - you need to level loads of stuff, but you'll have to either throw it away after or buy slots. Later on you'll get rivens, which boost weaker weapons, so hold on to anything you enjoy using but that doesn't quite compete damage wise (at MR8 I used the Hek for everything, but got very bored of it).

Focus lenses cost 40p and are royal pain to farm/build. You'll likely need one on any kit you want to use a lot after you've maxed and forma'd it.

Don't spend it on weapons as almost all BP can be got fairly easily (join a clan). You'll still need a potatoe though.

If you do buy guns that are very hard to get otherwise: Hema and the like.

Don't spend it on frames, at least not yet. Post War Within you get a load of frame quests at once. 

If you do want to buy certain frames are extremely hard to get, so buy these ones first: Nidus has a buggy awful quest, Mesa is behind a boss you need rare keys to fight, Equinox has a huge pile of parts from one tough boss and Harrow has one component that is an incredibly rare drop in a tedious mission type nobody plays.

Before buying anything big wait, as login rewards can give as much as 75% off. Your 400p can buy all 4 of the hardest to get frames if you're prepared to wait for the login RNGesus.

Just now, garrentanavaro said:

how about something else than slots?

Like I said: Orokin Reactor, Orokin Catalyst - you'll get these occasionally from special events and sorties, but past Saturn every frame and every weapon needs one to be viable. 

Focus lenses, from Second Dream onwards you'll be using these on your maxed gear, but they are expensive and hard to get, it's easier to just spend the plat.

I wouldn't recommend cosmetics yet, but if that's your thing go for it. They're very expensive though and Tennogen stuff never gets discounted (because the designer gets a cut). You'll need a lot more than 400p - buy prime access as that's the most cost effective way to get large amounts of plat, and the only way to get the prime accessories.

1 hour ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Focus lenses, from Second Dream onwards you'll be using these on your maxed gear, but they are expensive and hard to get

Maybe I'm just very lucky but Cetus Bounties drop plenty of Lenses for me. *shrug*

(Plus I've seen Lenses go for ~5p in Trading.)

3 hours ago, garrentanavaro said:

what to spend my platinum on

Are you maybe lacking / having bad luck farming [which I'd suggest you try first, for the record]
a certain Mod or two that would make a big difference in your build(s)?

Not least, any Aura is better than effin' Physique (blurgh),
so ~10p for an upgrade would hardly be a waste IMO,
even more so if your Frame has a non-D Aura Polarity.

If there's nothing you need / want right now (including Fashionframe goodies),
you could save your Plat for a neat Arcane set later down the road (woo Energize).

I didn’t listen to the slot advice and ended up refarming frames after my frame collection was done, so yeah get the slots 

Orokin catalyst blueprints come naturally so I don’t see why, plus you end up selling some weapons anyway so it’s a waste IMO

The classic saturated palette and good capes are worth it for they are used for all.

Thats a good rule to go by, will I use it for more than one item? Or do I main this frame enough to get more skins than the immortal/deluxe 

8 hours ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Before buying anything big wait, as login rewards can give as much as 75% off. Your 400p can buy all 4 of the hardest to get frames if you're prepared to wait for the login RNGesus.

The plat coupons are for buying plat from the Platinum Store on warframe.com with real money only.

7 hours ago, garrentanavaro said:

how about something else than slots?

Whatever you run into that you need / don't want to farm basically. A few mods perhaps that you find in builds that you don't want to farm for. Basically...you'll figure it out in time. Nothing wrong with holding onto a bunch of plat for the (near) future till you discover what you want/need to take your current setup to the next level.

6 minutes ago, RWBY-WhiteRose said:

The plat coupons are for buying plat from the Platinum Store on warframe.com with real money only.

Things work differently on consoles (the person you were replying to is an XboxOne Tenno)

5 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Maybe I'm just very lucky but Cetus Bounties drop plenty of Lenses for me. *shrug*

Yeah, and you need 4 for a greater lens, with a 200k blueprint. You need loads of greater and eidolon lenses.

3 minutes ago, RWBY-WhiteRose said:

The plat coupons are for buying plat from the Platinum Store on warframe.com with real money only

Is that different on PC then? On X1 I get a 75% discount off any single item I can use with plat I already have.

3 hours ago, cheliel said:

Orokin catalyst blueprints come naturally so I don’t see why, plus you end up selling some weapons anyway so it’s a waste IMO

You get them about 1 in every 15-20 completed sorties, and Gift of the Lotus events that happen every couple of months.

You buy slots so you don't have to sell any weapon you've upgraded 🙂

You don't need them on every weapon, but anything you're actually going to rely on needs one. You end up either using the same gear (which some people do - there are plenty of Excals running around with their Heks still) or you need loads of them.

I have around 10 loadouts that I can use for sortie level content, an eidolon build, an index build, a spy build, an ESO build - all with their own gear, forma, catalysts and lenses.

4 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

You need loads of greater and eidolon lenses.

Refinement of course helps (quite a bit) but is hardly necessary,
regular Lenses will still give a ~useful amount of Focus.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Is that different on PC then?

Yep. We don't get coupons for Market purchases.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Gift of the Lotus events [...] happen every couple of months

There's always a GotL Alert (or two) after a Devstream, so every two weeks (usually).

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

Refinement of course helps (quite a bit) but is hardly necessary,
regular Lenses will still give a ~useful amount of Focus

Yeah, but it still tends (for me anyway) to be something worth spending plat on, especially when I need a greater lens to craft and eidolon one.

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

There's always a GotL Alert (or two) after a Devstream, so every two weeks (usually)

Yes, but it's not always a reactor or catalyst and it's rarely both.

Either way I never have enough.

I still think the rest of the advice stands: slots first, avoid buying stuff and when you do start with the things that are hardest to grind, and fashion frame is for the plat rich and perhaps not a place to start with 400p.

Before you spend your platinum on useless Fashion:

-Fully upgraded modcards (serration, primed whatever), corrupted modcards

-Prime weapons/warframes

-Forma bundle (yes, I would buy a forma bundle any day instead of buying any cosmetics)

-Reactors/Catalysts/Exilus slots

You are MR8 so I highly doubt you have a lot primed modcards or a lot fully upgraded modcards so if I were you I would start getting those modcards

Mods are tricky buys as you may be in the whims of sellers unless you use wf market to compare prices 

That being said, Prime Continuity, Cunning Drift are excellent for maximizing duration, range  

Fleeting Expertise is good for energy economy but you gotta balance it with Prime Continuity

These 3 mods are worth it for the building benefits. The rest can be farmed in Cetus for stacking stats