Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why are weapon attachments not a thing in Warframe?

GabrihellCR

Sure, we have weapon skins and highly customizable paint jobs for our killing tools, but it's surprising that weapon attachments (both cosmetics and non-cosmetics) do not exist in Warframe, at least for primaries and secondaries (CSGO-like kill counters, anyone? 🤪).

Just now, DeMonkey said:

It just wouldn't be very visible due to the third person nature of the game.

Yea, that's the biggest downside IMO. It would still be possible to see tho (Loadout customization, slow-walking with the weapon holstered, pendulum narta...), and the Profile currently has a lot of stats for each individual weapon that can be synced with an attachment like that.

Still, it's just one of the many possible things, and that's without even talking about little weapon stats modifiers (something similar to links for zaws). 😄

18 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Examples of two moronic answers that don't refer to the OP's post.

Anyhow, I'm down for having cool attachments. Like grips, scopes etc

So grips will have negative recoil? hmm there's a mod for that. Scopes? +/- zoom? hmm there's a mod for that. Don't people already complain there's a ton of useless mods? So why add useless attachments. I mean you call my response moronic, but you didn't bring anything to the table or have a thought out answer. Your down for having cool attachments, ok........

Will they just be fashion frame? Are they just physical attachments w/ stats? I don't think you gave any depth to this conversation. Rivens and mods are basically attachments to enhance the weapon.

And that's why I said Rivens. 

22 minutes ago, Nanology said:

So grips will have negative recoil? hmm there's a mod for that. Scopes? +/- zoom? hmm there's a mod for that. Don't people already complain there's a ton of useless mods? So why add useless attachments. I mean you call my response moronic, but you didn't bring anything to the table or have a thought out answer. Your down for having cool attachments, ok........

Will they just be fashion frame? Are they just physical attachments w/ stats? I don't think you gave any depth to this conversation. Rivens and mods are basically attachments to enhance the weapon.

And that's why I said Rivens. 

^

What he said, another example.

Extended mags adds extra bullets to a mag? There's a mod for that.

we can have certain mods that affect weapons visually, mods like others have mentioned. It'll be hard to pull off though, and seeing how most weapons are position out of sight or half covered in combat, doubt DE would do it, not to mention all previous models weren't made with that in mind and also considering all the skins they'd have to go through.

but i have to say,multi-shot making your weapon double barreled would be cool. Or a ammo-belt for a tiny pistol .. man!

Maybe fancy HUD addition for each weapon type??

Edited by Showerwalker

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-10-14 at 2:15 AM, cxll said:

Ctrl+F thread "sugatra" - 0 results
Really?

As said here, we have attachments for melees. Stugatras, which no one else has mentioned. 

they have no gameplay impact, and I think that's what the OP is trying to get at. Not attachments that would have an actual stat change. 

Edited by voltocitygel

On 2018-10-14 at 7:55 AM, Showerwalker said:

we can have certain mods that affect weapons visually, mods like others have mentioned. It'll be hard to pull off though, and seeing how most weapons are position out of sight or half covered in combat, doubt DE would do it, not to mention all previous models weren't made with that in mind and also considering all the skins they'd have to go through.

but i have to say,multi-shot making your weapon double barreled would be cool. Or a ammo-belt for a tiny pistol .. man!

Maybe fancy HUD addition for each weapon type??

not that hard - you either can do it (in which case it's not really hard to pull off), or you can't (because you simply can't: how do you visually represent an abstract gamey stat such as +status???). for example:

suppress - add suppressor

-spread - longer barrel, if applicable

+mag size - longer mag (also easy, but soma's mag, for example, is already quite long, so the base version should be shorter)

cold damage - some part of the gun, such as the barrel, looks frozen

etc...

but it would be hard to notice, and is probably not worth the effort

1 hour ago, Traubenzuckr said:

not that hard - you either can do it (in which case it's not really hard to pull off), or you can't (because you simply can't: how do you visually represent an abstract gamey stat such as +status???). for example:

suppress - add suppressor

-spread - longer barrel, if applicable

+mag size - longer mag (also easy, but soma's mag, for example, is already quite long, so the base version should be shorter)

cold damage - some part of the gun, such as the barrel, looks frozen

etc...

but it would be hard to notice, and is probably not worth the effort

Borderlands 2 did exactly this - basic gun types, random components with matching appearance and stats. They had something like a billion possible guns, which was fun, but kind of like baked in Rivens. If you wanted different stats you had to get the weapon again.

Not sure how you'd retro fit this to existing weapons, especially as so many are variants.

I think if you were going to add anything they'd have to be specific augments - tied to one gun and changing the model for that gun. So Scattered Justice would add something to the Hek's model, and so on.

On 2018-10-24 at 8:47 AM, (XB1)KayAitch said:

Borderlands 2 did exactly this - basic gun types, random components with matching appearance and stats. They had something like a billion possible guns, which was fun, but kind of like baked in Rivens. If you wanted different stats you had to get the weapon again.

Not sure how you'd retro fit this to existing weapons, especially as so many are variants.

I think if you were going to add anything they'd have to be specific augments - tied to one gun and changing the model for that gun. So Scattered Justice would add something to the Hek's model, and so on.

Border lands 2 is allot more chaotic than rivens. They have guns the explode when you reload! I'd love rivens to go all out like that. Alas there are no rivens that make things explode 😞

Image result for exploding machine gun borderlands 2 gif

I suppose with the current modding system it is possible to functionally alter but no cosmetic changes.

What OP proposed might be a bit only cool to the user, since unless you are standing still and viewing your teammate's weapon
in between defense mission waves, on other occassions it is rare to have people keeping still and seeing those mods.

This might be what it is like to see before and after modding.
IPSC-handgun-Divisions-pistol-for-Classi9mmSVsteel.jpg

Off topic I would like to see Exilus slot for sniper rifle, and a default scope mod, 
that we can change to "regular sight" which you will still be able to use the sniper rifle and aim it like Latron/ Sybaris/ Grinlok
the combo counter will be disabled, and you will have negative zoom.

While owning multiple sniper rifles can allow you to switch the scope cosmetic over by putting a Vectis scope picture on a Rubico.

Or even having a "scope slot/ exilus slot" on all primaries.
to put in scope picture, that allow weapons like Sybaris/ Grinlok / Latron to be used with a scope
(while still not having a combo counter. )

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

On 2018-10-13 at 4:07 PM, GabrihellCR said:

Sure, we have weapon skins and highly customizable paint jobs for our killing tools, but it's surprising that weapon attachments (both cosmetics and non-cosmetics) do not exist in Warframe, at least for primaries and secondaries (CSGO-like kill counters, anyone? 🤪).

You could, but you'd have to take into account attachment points for exactly what you'd want. Sugatras have a limited subset of attachment points for melee weapon types (not individual weapons), but where do you put a grip on an Opticor so it A: doesn't look like butt and B: doesn't clip through the Warframe model? Compare that with something like a holographic projection of a scope from the top-middle of a weapon model, a barrel attachment, or a Sugatra for a firearm handle—the sorts of things that are out of the way and can be put on the same point on weapons. Most firearms have a handle, a middle, and a barrel, after all, so I don't see why those couldn't work.

Not sure on the idea of stat changes implementing attachments or vice versa, though. Tying looks to stats feels like it's just a fashion frame headache, be it making a gun look nice but function like dirt or making a gun ugly so that it works really well. I'd rather get the best of both worlds as much as I can.

We do not, in any situation, even remotely need attachments for our weapons that contribute to the stats.

However,

if you want to suggest that DE add little cosmetic attachments to our weapons, I'm not too against that. Would just have to be the right type of attachments. Sugatras still aren't available on guns, after all.

18 hours ago, Solarsyphon said:

Border lands 2 is allot more chaotic than rivens. They have guns the explode when you reload! I'd love rivens to go all out like that. Alas there are no rivens that make things explode

Oh, Borderlands had some of the best designed and most stupid fun guns ever. Guns that explode when you reload them, a shotgun that shoots swords that bounce into more swords that then also explode, an amazingly powerful SMG that screams abuse at you whenever you fired it.

It was fun, but also inflexible - you couldn't buy slots, so you would be getting the drops for the same weapon over and over (say the Lenz, as it's Warframe's most Borderlands-ish gun) and hoping for the right rolls (invariably you'd end up with a load of +zoom +dmg to infested variants because RNGesus hates you) and always out of space.