Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

learned sometihng new today

(XBOX)WrathfulComa

You lose a lot of leverage without the use of wrist and fingers. On top of that, your swings become really easy to read. Furtermore, the lack of flexibility will make it very easy to pin the blade, leaving you vulnerable and unable to attack.

A shorter blade might make more sense, but if it is longer than 25-30cm, it becomes too easy for your opponent to control your weapon.

24 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Eh, I guess it could work as a Claw type weapon.

Though competing with Venka Prime ... good luck.

Short versions would handle more or less like katars, which actually are valid concepts.

If you look at the blades that extends from Ash's arms during his bladestorm, they pretty much are of this design.

24 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Short versions would handle more or less like katars, which actually are valid concepts.

Well yeah, that's pretty much my thought, as well.

Or did you mean, make a new "Katar" Melee category?

Because ... do we really need / want yet another fist-y weapon type?
The three we have are hard enough to keep track of, especially for new players 😛

2 hours ago, (XB1)WrathfulComa said:

what if you made it shorter and had two of them?

So you want hidden blades from Assassin's Creed is that it? I want them too, let them use Covert Lethality as well and allow double finishers on enemies close to each other.

30 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Well yeah, that's pretty much my thought, as well.

Or did you mean, make a new "Katar" Melee category?

Because ... do we really need / want yet another fist-y weapon type?
The three we have are hard enough to keep track of, especially for new players 😛

No need, really. The primary attack with a katar is a forward thrust, much like in boxing or karate, so just use fist weapon animations/weapon class.

Am 16.10.2018 um 05:24 schrieb (XB1)WrathfulComa:

lolz I would love hidden blades

although I'm not sure if that would help us at all in this game, it's usually "Kill the Tenno!" as soon as they see us, not "Kill the Tenno because he has a weapon in his hand!" 😉

You're talking about a Punch Dagger, otherwise known as the Katar, which is a weapon primarily used for assassinations. It was easy to conceal, and then even easier to flip into a 'ready' position.

Image result for punch dagger

It was explicitly a puncture-based weapon, due to its low weight giving it very little follow-through to attempted slices, its low length offering very little additional force to swings, and due to how the entire body's weight was easily taken advantage of when thrusting. It also had very low range, since it had to remain small and concealable... moreso than your average dagger or knife, whose blades were easily much longer than the blade of a Katar... Daggers often more than doubled the length of a katar, and were much more versatile in combat, lending themselves to slashing maneuvers, puncturing maneuvers, and their own weight, which allowed for pommel strikes and the like.

Image result for antique punch dagger

The Katar, on the other hand, has exactly one purpose which it fulfills well, which is stabbing.

I'm not in favor of this weapon, nor am I against it, but if you're going to be right up in someone's face to use this one-handed, poor-utility weapon... wouldn't you much rather use the Hirudo, Ankyros, Obex, or other brawler-type weapons, perhaps even claws?

I'm not poking fun at your suggestion, but it just seems like there isn't much to be done in terms of design, since it's so small, or utility, since it's so niche in its use :clem: