Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe and Trypophobia ( PINK CYST)

OGBlake

5 hours ago, Eirshy said:

The Sacrifice answered only his purpose. I didn't ask why helminth, I asked what is helminth. Is he some form of hive mind projection, or does he have a physical form? Did he rise to the role like Ordis and Excalibruh? The why's I had were for features in the room. The bed (which isn't interactable atm) and the chair (which currently is used for both creating Patient Zero of, and curing Space Herpes; neither of which are likely the original purpose). So no, The Sacrifice answered none of my questions ya dingus. Hell, the only lore thing Sac really did (beyond thicken the plot) was confirm we'd all been following the breadcrumbs correctly (re: "helminth-strain technocyte", etc). About the only unpredicted thing (related to Warframes) is how we tamed the beast. And that's more because rainbow-puking is usually seen as childish, even when it makes sense, than due to a lack of vision.

I'm gonna have to look at the fish in Helminth's room when I get the chance, 'cause iirc, no they're not ones on the Plains. Yes they add to the ambiance, but what purpose do they serve, and why can't I get those in my aquarium without having to go catch more?

The initial idea for why the door was closed was that Ordis was embarrassed by it and doesn't like Helminth. Thus he only opens the door if you would have "reason" to go in there: either you're Nidus or need your Space Herpes cured. I guess it could still be a quirk of Ordis and the fact that there's nothing else in the room other than the space herpes char (atm, anyways). A later quest might change that.

Spoiler

Well, the room they took up residence in was the Med Bay of the Orbiter, which is why that chair, as well as the bed, are in the room. Helminth is in charge of Life Support of the Orbiter, and the Helminth strain was devised as a way to create and maintain warframes that get damaged. We learned from Umbra and The Sacrifice that Warframes are created via the Infestation, and that the Infestation was made by the Orokin to make war machines. The strain they made was the Helminth strain, which is why Helminth cysts can sprout on the warframes when they are otherwise immune to the effects of other strains of Infestation (with special exceptions like Nidus). They can appear on Frames because Warframes are Helminth. We know this not only by lore given by the Sacrifice, but also by Helminth's voice lines: "We germinate, for the Master... within the Master" and "We are as one".

Ordis also mentions how Helminth serves you and your Warframes, going further to mention how Helminth is "responsible for biological functions of the Orbiter." Meaning the plants in the orbiter might serve as a form of oxygen generator for your pets and your Operator.

You have to also remember that Helminth had lain dormant for a long time, perhaps dating back to when the orokin were using people as bases for their Warframes, such as the case with Umbra. I think we can assume that the chair was to be used by the Tenno to infect humans, to increase their arsenal of warframes that they had available to them. Now, Helminth probably doesn't have any concept of time, so Helminth might think that the Old War is still going on. This would explain why they still offer the Operator suggestions such as "All that lives is coiled within us. We will consume, Master, if you wish it" and "We... breathe for you. Bleed for you. Feed for you". Helminth knows that they infect people to turn them into Warframes, and they are afraid of the Operator, which can possess those Warframes through Transference. Warframes are Helminth. Or at least, they used to be, back during the Old War. Now, Helminth seems to be antiquated, since we can now make frames without a living sacrifice. Perhaps Operation:Chimera will provide more insight to Helminth, if we take into account the definition of a chimera... Not the original definition of the word, but the colloquial use of the word we use today, by which we define a living creature made of parts of more than one species, stitched together. Warframes can be considered chimeras by this definition.Perhaps the bed/pod was also in the room to keep the sacrifices stable as they were taken over by the Helminth strain, as they turned into Warframes.

Also the aquarium under the floor features an absurdly large Mortus Lungfish, a Mawfish, and a Khutkhut. Perhaps there's also a Yogwun in there, I forget.

Edited by Axio.
Changed into a spoiler window

@Axio.

Just use Spoiler tags, geez.

Spoilers up through Sacrifice

"Overgrown" Medbay does make sense. I was gonna question why there'd be a medbay for a ship that doesn't have need of one, but there's a lounge too, that seems to have always been a lounge (iirc Ordis only had to vent some stuff he had sitting in there, rather than actually build a new module). I feel a little dumb for not thinking of that, as it's fairly obvious in hindsight.

However, you're not quite right on the why. Helminth is there to provide life support and the biological parts of frames, but while the Helminth-strain is used to create frames, it itself cannot create one. The actual designing was done by archemedians (per The Silver Grove) (and some likely by Orokin like Ballas himself). Being able to infect in the orbiter wouldn't do you much good. "Helminth" existing in the orbiter however, would allow for the Orokin's technocyte construction/maintenance tricks to work, which is largely how the foundry functions and how frames are restored between missions.

As for how we craft frames now, well... Guesswork time.

Our warframes, minus Excalibruh, are mere replicas. The Umbra frames are the true originals, created from the flesh of Dax and other Orokin slaves, and retained minds of their own. Following the Umbra was the Prime designs. Deep scans of the Umbra, reconstructed from the molecule up with changes per the whims of the designers- but importantly lacking an actual oro. This makes them effectively inert while not under transference, which de-fangs the dog when the master is away. As the war continued, the cost of creating a Prime became too high for what resources were available, so the regular frames were born- a truly mass-produced design which lost some power in exchange for much lower cost.

When we craft a warframe, we aren't actually making new ones- that requires a living sacrifice and significant know-how which we simply don't (know we) have (yet). What we are doing is reconstructing those that were designed by others, and using our own void-touched oro to temporarily awaken them.

There's interesting implications from Second Dream when your frame woke itself to shatter Hunhow. This could have been Lotus, Helminth, or Wally's doing, our own doing, a spark of oro left behind by us, or even a "memory imprint" of the oro of the original Umbra. I'm honestly leaning towards Lotus, since she showed up right after Hunhow was banished.

One interesting thing that comes from all of this is what exactly was detailed in Hidden Messages. Lotus wasn't (necessarily) recalling herself talking to a Tenno, but a Tenno talking to Mirage Umbra.