Cetus Day/Night Cycle

MickThejaguar

Why exactly does this need to be a thing? And why does the Day cycle have to be twice as long as the night cycle. I'm just genuinely curious (and frustrated) about these particular design choices and want to know if any of you guys have any idea why DE decided put what seems like an unnecessary timegate on Eidolon hunting.

You may be unaware of this, but we have these "day and night cycles" here in the real world too. And Cetus is on earth. So surprise surprise, they went with a system somewhat similar to real day/night cycles. Just expedited so you get the full range in a few hours. It's crazy right? They wanted their open world zone to have a worldly feel to it? Tickle me shocked.

Sarcasm aside, day and night cycles are actually good for breaking up the monotony of farming. It creates surges of interest for the simple fact that it is ever-so-slighty time-exclusive.

If your issue is with how short night is, work on your operator and get stronger. Eidolon hunting is incredibly lucrative once you get good at it. I was getting to the point where I was almost doing 2 Hydrolysts a night solo before I stopped farming. Pooping out gobs of focus and arcanes with hundreds of plat a couple times every 3 hours or so is more than fair. Not to mention this is contrast to raids where at best you could do 3 a day. You can do 5 of these a night with the right squad. 

Edited by Azlen

3 minutes ago, Azlen said:

You may be unaware of this, but we have these "day and night cycles" here in the real world too. And Cetus is on earth. So surprise surprise, they went with a system somewhat similar to real dau/night cycles. Just expedited so you get the full range in a few hours. It's crazy right? They wanted their open world zone to have a worldly feel to it? Tickle me shocked.

No need to be condescending.

7 minutes ago, Azlen said:

day and night cycles are actually good for breaking up the monotony of farming.

I don't think there should a mechanic that forces this. If you're bored or burnt out from farming then stop. If you need the game to tell you when to stop then you have a problem.

15 minutes ago, Azlen said:

If your issue is with how short night is, work on your operator and get stronger.

This is the issue. Night being an hour long would be manageable if Day weren't twice as long. There's only so much work I can do towards getting leveling up on any given day because that. It's hard to "git gud" when the game actively hinders you from doing so.

41 minutes ago, Azlen said:

Eidolon hunting is incredibly lucrative once you get good at it. I was getting to the point where I was almost doing 2 Hydrolysts a night solo before I stopped farming. Pooping out gobs of focus and arcanes with hundreds of plat a couple times every 3 hours or so is more than fair.

I feel like a trade off could be made somewhere. Why not instead have the Tridolon runs be the timegated plat source while Teralysts (which could be done more frequently) be used to help weaker Tenno level up their operator to the point where they can do said Tridolon runs.

4 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

No need to be condescending

Was all in good jest due to your initial statement seeming to see no reason for it existing. 

5 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

I don't think there should a mechanic that forces this. If you're bored or burnt out from farming then stop. If you need the game to tell you when to stop then you have a problem.

Don't blame me for this one, that's how humans work on a fundamental level. There's a reason why big businesses run sales and limited time offers. Because it creates interest that would die off otherwise. It's only 'bad' to you because you want it, and you want it nao. I get it, I was there. It'll pass. Enjoy hunting for what it is.

10 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

This is the issue. Night being an hour long would be manageable if Day weren't twice as long. There's only so much work I can do towards getting leveling up on any given day because that. It's hard to "git gud" when the game actively hinders you from doing so.

This boils down to balance. They don't WANT you to bang your head against the wall for 30 hours and then hate Eidolon hunting. Nor did they want people killing Hydrolysts on night 1 in Cetus. It's all done to give you a progression system, without specifically giving you a leveling bar that says "you gotta be a level 50 Eidolon Hunter in order to fight Hydrolysts". Again I get it. It feels bad because you want to hunt when you want to hunt. But it will come with time.

13 minutes ago, MickThejaguar said:

I feel like a trade off could be made somewhere. Why not instead have the Tridolon runs be the timegated plat source while Teralysts (which could be done more frequently) be used to help weaker Tenno level up their operator to the point where they can do said Tridolon runs.

Now especially this far in the plains lifecycle I can 100% get behind this. Catch up mechanics are a good way to get friends and new players interested without slogging through all the boring/limiting iterations of something that have been outdated. If that came in the form of Teralysts wandering during the day as well, I can totally get behind that as a fair compromise.