Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Once again... The Ghoul Purge (Facepalm)

MBaldelli

I was told by a friend (in discord) yesterday that it was back.  During daily login I confirmed it when I saw this:

hCkHtZ1.jpg

*sighs* 

While I understand that new players might be looking forward to this as it's something new and perhaps challenging for them;  anyone that's been around at least a year, this is more an inconvenience and something we can easily avoid...  Especially when you consider you --DE -- had confirmed this was going to be ramped up more both during devstream and in the reality of gameplay. 

It has gone from uncommon like the Fomorian and Razorback events to being so common it's overlapping uncommon events -- like Plague Star -- which isn't causing the necessary challenge, but instead the feeling of disgust and disappoint that can best be summed  up with the expletive "#%!& it!" 

While I admit that I haven't seen anyone in the bounties squads rage quit the mission, I can tell you based on eyewitness, players ignore the ghouls unless they're being hammered by them during the ground mission.   However it's only a matter of time people start ignoring the plains altogether until the event passes.  And I'm hoping this wasn't your intention with this event ramp up.  

The question I have for you -- DE -- is this; is it going to take you 8 years like it took Cryptic Studios to stop running the Borg Red Alerts to realize that hammering this at players is going to turn more players into like me: disappointed and disgruntled and avoiding the plains when they see this e-mail yet again; than into someone actually looking forward to the challenge, the bounties and the rewards? 

13 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

I might have missed the part where you describe the actual problem

I don't particularly enjoy Lotus telling me a new Alert is available, but am I asking DE to remove them entirely ? No, I just, you know, ignore them.

Everyone has their own opinions and just because you have a different one than his doesn't mean there isn't a problem here.

If DE has nothing better than the Ghoul event then they shouldn't bother giving us that event every other week because it's really annoying when you can't go to the plains even at night without having these minor inconveniences pop up while you're mining or looking for wisps

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Everyone has their own opinions and just because you have a different one than his doesn't mean there isn't a problem here.

If DE has nothing better than the Ghoul event then they shouldn't bother giving us that event every other week because it's really annoying when you can't go to the plains even at night without having these minor inconveniences pop up while you're mining or looking for wisps

The Plains should never be a free roaming area deprived of any threat or any annoyance.

This event is always nice for the intended population: low-mid MR people. MR25s being slightly annoyed by lvl 20 ghouls when they're trying to mine ? Not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Chewarette said:

The Plains should never be a free roaming area deprived of any threat or any annoyance.

This I can agree with.  There is a line between making the game experience fun, and hammering the gaming experience into grind.  I feel it's more the latter than the former with yet another Ghoul Purge coming into play.  

For a two month frequency, it's been launched in game as follows:

20/08/2018
07/09/2018
25/09/2018
15/10/2018

Really DE?  And that's just from August.  

Let me say this, the frequency that I infer is a lot less than it currently is.  Want people to rush to do it?  How often does the Fomorian and Razorback events occur?  How 'bout the Ghoul Purge match that.   Because as it stands the amount of times we get the Ghoul Purge is more than either the Fomorian or Razorback events...  From my perspective, I'm seeing the Ghoul Purge Twice as often as either the Fomorian or Razorback Events.  Hell...  You can even put it as part of that Seige information instead of spamming us with e-mails about its start.  And end. 

Because truth be told, I shouldn't be treating my ingame e-mail like I do my real life e-mail.  That is to say, Mark Read and Delete without so much as a second thought.  If I wanted that amount of overwhelming inundation, I'd be working in project management instead of network security.  

Let me  add this...  Fomorian and Razorback have better incentives to doing the missions rather than Ghoul Purge:  Credits and Potatoes.  Want end gamers to do this more?  Add incentives other than what the bounties offer.  Because the Ghoul Bounties were completed by end-gamers no later than the second purge.  I took three, but then I'm slow like that.  I've collected all the codex entries early on and the Stubba/Quartakk Blueprints are thrown so much I could wallpaper my orbiter with the extras.  Everything else is either offered through other missions (like the Hunter Mods were thrown willy-nilly during Plague Star) or easier to collect in the standard bounties.  

Besides...  DE advertised fishing as a combat-free alternative to the grind of the game.  What's the point of that advertising as a combat-free alternative if you're going to have to end up fighting your way to a fishing spot?  And you do, too.  Even if you avoid a Ghoul Spawn bed, they come to life and chase you to that fishing spot.  

Edited by MBaldelli
Added proof...

48 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Why not?

I get it thats its dangerous around the bases and such but i dont think i have ever seen an open world map where i couldnt find a nice and peaceful spot to just look at the view. Even in games like the witcher 3 where you are constantly reminded that the wilds are dangerous and deadly i could find multiple areas where i could just leave Geralt to admire the view.

The plains wont have more content just because you are getting bombarded by various mooks no matter where you are, so why not just make some quite places where people can sit down and admire the view?

21 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Why not?

I get it thats its dangerous around the bases and such but i dont think i have ever seen an open world map where i couldnt find a nice and peaceful spot to just look at the view. Even in games like the witcher 3 where you are constantly reminded that the wilds are dangerous and deadly i could find multiple areas where i could just leave Geralt to admire the view.

The plains wont have more content just because you are getting bombarded by various mooks no matter where you are, so why not just make some quite places where people can sit down and admire the view?

The issues here is that there are too many. I can set up camp in anywhere I see as long as it isn't directly on top of a Grineer base. Worst case scenario, I run into a patrol of, like, three Grineer landing a hundred metres away. It's not that there aren't or shouldn't be anywhere safe, it's that there's barely anywhere dangerous at all.

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

The issues here is that there are too many. I can set up camp in anywhere I see as long as it isn't directly on top of a Grineer base. Worst case scenario, I run into a patrol of, like, three Grineer landing a hundred metres away. It's not that there aren't or shouldn't be anywhere safe, it's that there's barely anywhere dangerous at all.

Meanwhile i got attacked by Dargyn squads at the freakin end of the map almost literally in the ocean.

I dont know if i ever had a fishing run in the plains where i didnt got attacked by mooks from more than 100 meter away and other bs.

3 minutes ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Meanwhile i got attacked by Dargyn squads at the freakin end of the map almost literally in the ocean.

I dont know if i ever had a fishing run in the plains where i didnt got attacked by mooks from more than 100 meter away and other bs.

Huh. Weird. Most enemies never notice me when not on a bounty. If I want a fight on the plains when not actively on a bounty, I always have to look for trouble.

I just wish i could turn off those alerts.  I already have everything i need from them,  and have no need for duplicates. They arent even fun to fight since even after death youre slowed for an eternity.  I dont ignore the plains if i needa go there but i do get peeved i have to see them every 2 weeks

Eh, I don't really see it as a problem. As a vet who's been around since Update 3 (IIRC), I'm actually really appreciative of the notion of events coming back. It's really harsh to 'have' to stick around. Most people who stick with a game for long periods of time have stretches of hiatus. I took about 8 months off from Warframe after burning out, and although I didn't actually miss anything; it's nice to have the opportunity for other players to catch up.

There's nothing fun about exclusivity IMO. I have Excal prime, and I hate that non-founders can't get him. I feel like exclusive skins is as far as the system should go, and that everything else should have its chance to come around again. Thankfully, even without returning old events, DE have found ways to bring old weapons back in (like Snipetron, the old Vandals/Wraiths etc). I feel like they should just have some form of Simulacrum 'event' once every few months that brings back one of the old events, so players can go and get their clan trophies etc.

Ghouls aren't really a challenge, and typically just get mowed down or flown over during normal PoE bounties. They give a few unique mods, and give you a few codex entries, without really being too in-your-face (apart from Scarface rasping his death threats over the radio that everyone seems to be able to hack into)

I guess to take this to the other end: at this point (and really, from the start), it's not even much of an event at all. Maybe they should just drop it being a "thing" and just make ghoul bounties selectable at all times, but without them roaming the freeroam unless you entered from a ghoul bounty or something.

My issue with the Ghouls is this... Sometimes I just want to fish and mine for the day (standing and all) but almost EVERY TIME I take out my fishing spear I get attacked by the Ghouls causing to to have to kill all of them and waste time doing so. Come on, I just want to fish and mine to my hearts content without being interrupted :(

the ghouls is a recurring mission type (cant really call it an event) (just like plaguestar) that returns about every 2-3 weeks. would u guys rather they didn't put anything in plains at all? 

also its not hard to avoid plains if its really such an eyesore to your mining/fishing (cus we NEED to do that everyday... not really )

I also don't mind ghouls as they tend to be faster then bounty missions and lets not forget that its the only thing that can offer up Nitain (besides that abysmal % from caches somewhere?)

Edited by Makunogo

4 hours ago, Makunogo said:

the ghouls is a recurring mission type (cant really call it an event) (just like plaguestar) that returns about every 2-3 weeks. would u guys rather they didn't put anything in plains at all? 

No need to remove it. Just don't spam our inbox with it anymore. Every time you log in and see a new inbox message you're awaiting some fresh surprise but all you get is ghouls. And you get it twice every time they turn up. 1st when they appear and 2ndly when they're gone. There should be better ways to handle this.

I am starting the game (9th day) and being mobbed by the ghouls when I try to go fishing/mining is wearisome. I am doing these activities as a break from emptying mission levels of life and loot.

I already have grineers tracking me down with drones that call even more and flying grineers shooting me, the never ending streams of overenthusiastic meat hungry crazies that inevitably kill me with poison is ANNOYING. Never mind at night, it's like a fireworks competition.

I have seen that sometimes the missions nodes ask you to choose between regular or relics whatever. Could we have that? So everyone is happy with ghouls appearing... or not? Pretty pretty please, I am so sick of poisoning. (And no I don't have any mod for that problem. And no idea how to deal with them other than switching between electrocution, kunai and skana. So so tired of the bags of dead meat.)

The frequency wouldn't be such a problem if the duration were cut down to maybe 24 hours.

But in reality it doesn't bother me much either way as I actively avoid the plains after having so much of it force fed for so long:

• The original grind for all the resources to craft all the stuff available
  • Plague Star again and again and again
  • Ghoul Bounties
  • The unvaulted relics
  • the dojo colors
  • what feels like the majority of riven challenges

And all that said, we'll probably be running for PoE to escape what is sure to be an equally miserable  repetitive  Fortuna grind 😂