Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could we please get affinity range doubled, or even removed from Defense/Interception/Onslaught?

SteveCutler

Affinity range is probably my number one frustration with Warframe. Does anyone else agree, or am I on my own here?

I mean, I get the point of it. The idea is to encourage people to stay close together to share affinity gains. But I feel like it's way too short at 50m, and actually hinders gameplay instead.

Take Hydron for example. It's a popular Defense mission for levelling up items. The map is very small. It's basically just one big room, and that's it. And yet if you have people on different sides of the map, they'll be out of affinity range of each other. This happens constantly in Hydron runs, and if you care about maximizing affinity, the solution is to just sit in the middle of the map to stay within range of everyone else - and then you aren't actually contributing, because there are no enemies in the middle of the map. You have to just stand there doing nothing while other people kill at the edges of the map, if you want to get the most affinity. That seems like bad design.

Another example is Elite Sanctuary Onslaught. The entire point of this game mode is to farm focus (i.e. affinity). Due to the way it's designed, it's basically search and destroy, where you have to scout around the map looking for the next spawn of enemies to instakill. Yet when you do this, everyone ends up falling out of affinity range. Playing the mode efficiently by spreading out and killing things is actually detrimental. So what are you supposed to do? Just chase the Saryn or Equinox around to leech off their affinity instead of trying to contribute on your own, because it's the only way you'll really walk away with any significant gains.

Personally, I feel like the affinity range system has no place at all in Defense or Onslaught, and maybe even Interception. The maps are so small that it should be fair to just consider everyone to be in range of everyone else at all times. That way, people can just play efficiently and contribute as much as possible, without having to constantly chase around the top damage dealer or just AFK in the middle of the map.

In something like Survival, I can see more of a point to it. It encourages people to stay together. But even then, 50m feels like nothing. Just being on the other side of a room is enough to be outside of range. 100m seems like it would be more appropriate.

Thoughts?

I want you to take a look at Harrow for a second... Okay have you done that? Did you see the sadness on his face after he read your post? ....some of these Warframes Abilities use that affinity range. If you want it gone you are effectively saying you want to kill some Warframes.... *Hugs harrow* you heartless fiend!

10 minutes ago, (PS4)NSO_Intercept said:

I want you to take a look at Harrow for a second... Okay have you done that? Did you see the sadness on his face after he read your post? ....some of these Warframes Abilities use that affinity range. If you want it gone you are effectively saying you want to kill some Warframes.... *Hugs harrow* you heartless fiend!

They could always replace "affinity range" with 50 meters, unmoddable. That said I don't think affinity range is a problem.

16 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

Take Hydron for example. It's a popular Defense mission for levelling up items. The map is very small. It's basically just one big room, and that's it. And yet if you have people on different sides of the map, they'll be out of affinity range of each other. This happens constantly in Hydron runs, and if you care about maximizing affinity, the solution is to just sit in the middle of the map to stay within range of everyone else - and then you aren't actually contributing, because there are no enemies in the middle of the map. You have to just stand there doing nothing while other people kill at the edges of the map, if you want to get the most affinity. That seems like bad design.

If your doing this your spawn camping. There really is no need to do this. I have been re-forma'ing a few frames lately and noticed this need for the low MR's to run around and spawn camp which is pretty dumb really. If you just sit in the middle, they literally come like lambs to slaughter.. 

that is correct i use that when others are along way away

Fosfor Blau x 20 Blueprint Launch a bright blue flare that significantly increases Affinity Range while active.

Fosfor Rahd x 20 Blueprint Launch a bright red flare that significantly increases Affinity Range while active.

They both increase affinity range to 200 m for 2 minutes

Edited by zNightWolfz

1 hour ago, GinKenshin said:

not gonna happen, leeching and AFKing will happen even more than it does now, it's a necessary evil. Consider checking out Vazarin focus, it can increase the XP range 

I would rather have a full team of afk and leeching players than some hallway heroes that are always out of range ruining my xp or resources farm.

1 hour ago, zNightWolfz said:

They both increase affinity range to 200 m for 2 minutes

Which are in PoE where 200m is nothing and it is actually the last place where anyone farms xp.And 2 min duration....get out of here...If it was like 10 min or something like that I would consider of purchasing it,but probably not.

13 minutes ago, RistN said:

I would rather have a full team of afk and leeching players than some hallway heroes that are always out of range ruining my xp or resources farm.

Which are in PoE where 200m is nothing and it is actually the last place where anyone farms xp.And 2 min duration....get out of here...If it was like 10 min or something like that I would consider of purchasing it,but probably not.

i believe each craft of them makes 20 charges so its not completely terrible

14 minutes ago, RistN said:

i believe each craft of them makes 20 charges so its not completely terrible

sorry idk how that got doble posted lol

Edited by Makunogo

51 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

If we can't have it increased, then no, AW affinity range should stay the same.

Your logic being? When did a change in land missions has to be inline with an AW change? Or are you saying they’re the same when it comes to player distances from each other. AW is also slow to get XP in, thus the range increase is very much welcome 

Again, what’s your reasoning? You sound like a child sulking because he didn’t get A and doesn’t want to get B either 

On 2018-10-16 at 5:28 PM, RistN said:

Fosfors work everywhere. Not just PoE. The duration is short.

Increase the duration of flares so it lasts 10m (1 wave of elite alert defense). Unless you go and cheese it, there ain't much time for comfortably using the gearwheel during missions.

I just use a hotkey instead of opening the gearwheel. My abilities are bound to mouse keys so 1-6, and the Y and H keys work for items in my gear hotwheel.

Edited by AXCrusnik

1 hour ago, AXCrusnik said:

Fosfors work everywhere. Not just PoE. The duration is short.

I just use a hotkey instead of opening the gearwheel. My abilities are bound to mouse keys so 1-6, and the Y and H keys work for items in my gear hotwheel. 

I have 10 buttons for the gearwheel stuff. No room for flares there. And I use flares VERY rarely.
The little pause between waves should be the window of opportunity for that. Not just for flares, for any other shenanigans, too.

My point is; stuff like that should be "fire-and-forget". Map-wide would also be fine.
Missions last about 5-10minutes. So one flare per mission seems fair. Also, endless missions couldn't "abuse" it.

Edit: And ESO shouldn't have the limit on affinity range. Not only because we can't use gear there, but becaise it should test how fast we can kill, not how efficiently we can farm Focus. As it is now, it only promotes camping and nuking the map. Even on large maps.

Edited by Uthael

On 2018-10-17 at 8:43 PM, Uthael said:

My point is; stuff like that should be "fire-and-forget".

Why? 

Ok I get that you don't particularly want to assign/change one hotkey because its a lot of work, and I totally understand that for some people pressing one button every couple of minutes might seem to be way too much effort. But you can actually do that little bit of work right now and it would do exactly what you are asking for. 

Why should it be passive, or fire and forget? 

For Interception, I liked the suggestion from previous topics that each tower has an Affinity share radius linked to the others,
so anything killed within the radius of one tower will give Affinity to anyone near any tower.

Everyone staying at and defending their own tower is more or less the intended / optimal way
to play Interception, getting "punished" for that seems utterly ridiculous.

Though really, I don't see much of a problem even with map-wide Affinity sharing.
[Leeches gonna leech, any countermeasures there so far have (AFAIK) been more detrimental for regular players.]
Warframe is a game where players can (and sometimes should) get distanced from one another very easily,
and not least with more "open world" content on the horizon, 50m just doesn't seem sensible to me.

Yeah, actually... What's the point of affinity range now that we have Sanctuary? As soon as you get access to E/SO, "leeching for XP" stopped being a problem.
And especially there! A lot of people go there for that XP/affinity. You have 2 options:
1) Cheese it using 50m+ AoE nukes and have everyone move around the nuke-frames, who stand near the map center.
2) Lose affinity by spreading out and using weapons to kill several groups of mobs at once.

Number 2 ain't really viable.

And flares can't even be used there because they're gear.

---------

Hydron, Helene, Akkad and in one special case, Adaro - are the most relevant cases affinity sharing can be of consequence. Anywhere else, it's just a hinderance. Especially in Defection missions, where it can feel the gamemode itself is denying you half the XP just for playing it correctly.

Edited by Uthael

• 5 weeks later...
On 2018-10-16 at 8:43 PM, AzureTerra said:

I agree for Interception but not for the other two listed. those you should be close to the squad and if you choose to not be then well your out, but by Design Interception has players far apart to control the points effectively 

This.

The other game modes you're supposed to be together, and it's entirely player fault when not together. Interception is the only one I agree with since it's designed to keep you apart for prolonged time periods.

After formaing my valkyr p today i have to agree,  i was in hysteria slashing all the things and frequently noticed i was running in and out of affinity range of my teammates.  Also noticed a lazy afker sitting on the defense pod as nyx with absorb, but that only serves to highlight the need for the need for an affinity/mastery rework in general.