Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plat Trading - Need info to get started

KruhlSentru

Question

Okay, so, most of the info I have found on plat trading is very, very shaky.  Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to have to use this kind of trading in the modern day.  This is the kind of trading we did back in the 90s.  Since the late 90s, early 2000, we've had in-game auctioning/markets.  But, since I'm not DE, I'm out of luck.  So, to that end, how does one get going on this kind of trading?

I know some things, but like I said, it's shaky.  For example, there's at least one site that lists trade prices.  Of course, if I actually believe that site, nothing would trade for more than 1 plat.  Maybe 2 plat, tops.  So, obviously, the listings are useless there.  So then, how do we find out the approximate value of an item?  How can we determine which items are considered valuable?  Some of the stuff I see that seems valuable, isn't, and some of the stuff I consider garbage, is supposedly valuable.  *shrug*

Plus, how do you sell anything?  Just sit around and spam in trade chat?  I mean, I'm going to be honest - that's insanely boring, and obnoxious, too.  I hate spam, so I'm not fond of having to produce it.  I do hope there's a better way to sell than this, but again, info is sparse.  Looking up plat selling only brings up trades people want to make, not info on how to get going.  Well, that and complaints.

And yes, I'm a bit salty.  DE has an awesome game, except for this part.  All I'm finding is complaints about bad trades, people getting cheated with fake plat (plat bought with credit cards that get denied), people spamming endlessly to sell a product, and lots of complaints about the trade system as a whole.  It's... not very encouraging.  But, I need more slots for weapons, frames, etc., and since I don't have the money for it, this is the only way to earn those slots.  I also have to find out what kind of items I can sell.  I think my best bet will be prime parts atm, or maybe some of the faction specific gear.  Grinding up tens of thousands of faction points is... actually, pretty easy, for my playstyle.  Although, I did choose a more... limited group.  Steel Meridian and Red Veil compliment each other well, and they have gear that I needed, like mods for the Atlas, and a gun that I could afford, but can't get because I have no slots lol.  But, maybe once I have more slots, I could grab some of the more valuable stuff and sell it, was my thinking.

And, of course, there's the interface for the trade itself.  I'm going in blind, so I'm just hoping the it's not as bad as the rest of the setup.  *shrug*

14 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, KruhlSentru said:

Okay, so, most of the info I have found on plat trading is very, very shaky.  Personally, I think it's pretty stupid to have to use this kind of trading in the modern day.  This is the kind of trading we did back in the 90s.  Since the late 90s, early 2000, we've had in-game auctioning/markets.  But, since I'm not DE, I'm out of luck.  So, to that end, how does one get going on this kind of trading?

Auction House means "afk trading". That's something DE doesn't want. DE wants you to play the game and to interact. So do it.

14 minutes ago, KruhlSentru said:

I know some things, but like I said, it's shaky.  For example, there's at least one site that lists trade prices.  Of course, if I actually believe that site, nothing would trade for more than 1 plat.  Maybe 2 plat, tops.  So, obviously, the listings are useless there.  So then, how do we find out the approximate value of an item?  How can we determine which items are considered valuable?  Some of the stuff I see that seems valuable, isn't, and some of the stuff I consider garbage, is supposedly valuable.  *shrug*

There are no set values for anything.
Just because someone tells you an item has to go for that much, doesn't mean you will find someone willing to pay that amount...
Stuff is valuable if it's rare and if people want it.
(For example some Arcane Enhancements are rare, but they aren't that good. So people won't pay much)

17 minutes ago, KruhlSentru said:

Plus, how do you sell anything?  Just sit around and spam in trade chat?  I mean, I'm going to be honest - that's insanely boring, and obnoxious, too.  I hate spam, so I'm not fond of having to produce it.  I do hope there's a better way to sell than this, but again, info is sparse.  Looking up plat selling only brings up trades people want to make, not info on how to get going.  Well, that and complaints.

If you want to actively sell something, you have to write in chat.
If you want to passively sell stuff, just use the Chat Filter, and filter for "WTB".
It's that easy.

I can think of four main ways of selling things:

1. Sit around in Trade chat offering to sell stuff.

2. Sit around in Trade chat watching for people wanting to buy something you'd like to sell. (Chat filters help.)

3. List your items on a site like https://warframe.market/ and hope people message you.

4. Same as 3. but look for people offering to buy instead and message them.

How do you know how much something is worth? It can be hard. Back when I did a lot of trading I'd watch what other people regularly offered things for to figure out about how much I might be able to get then offered to sell it for ~10% less. It seemed to work pretty well.

As for what to sell, I'd recommend hunting the newest prime parts. They always sell for elevated prices. In the process you'll often get sets that aren't quite as popular now, but may start selling for more once their relics are retired to the vault.

Set filter for trade chat. For example I've set "wtb" just to lessen the number of wts spams as I don't need anything from market at the moment. Also maybe if you want to sell/buy specific item and warframe market doesn't help then you can set the exact item on filter and check out the price people usually ask or are willing to pay for it. I'm on console so I have less things to worry about regarding trading and it seems very easy and simple stuff.

58 minutes ago, KruhlSentru said:

Of course, if I actually believe that site, nothing would trade for more than 1 plat.  Maybe 2 plat, tops.  So, obviously, the listings are useless there.  So then, how do we find out the approximate value of an item?  How can we determine which items are considered valuable?  Some of the stuff I see that seems valuable, isn't, and some of the stuff I consider garbage, is supposedly valuable.  *shrug*

Comes with practice and some vision, you must take advantage of anouncements to determine what will be valuable. Farming for stuff yourself is also a way to determine how difficult certain things are, this requires gameplay.

The price is defined by you, you simply find an ammount that is fair for you, that makes you happy, this way you always have a price ready ready, something buyers will apreciate even if they decline, do be aware that many will try to influence you and lecture you on the correct price, do not change to something that will make you feel miserable, ignore the user if necessary and move on.

An assigned budget is also recomended when buying, so that when you read someone else's price, you can think instantly if it's within your budget or not, making trades efficient and less painfull as there is less pointless chatting

Using websites is nice if your price is competitive and makes you unhappy, so i can't recomend if you plan on selling something, when buying it certainly helps as you can check lot's of sellers quickly.

2 hours ago, Syvarin said:

2. Sit around in Trade chat watching for people wanting to buy something you'd like to sell. (Chat filters help.)

This works for me, I just sit on tradechat for half and hour while eating breakfast, and have made a about 4000 plat since I started playing earlier this year.

I am sure you could earn way, way more if you spent more time on it.

Edited by (XB1)Danowat32

I'm focusing on Syndicate Mods atm., a constant streamlet of Platinum for just playing the game. Having high MR helps in that regard (higher daily limit). That's at least 130 platinum a week and far more if I do Syndicate missions for my two allied Syndicates too (including Medallions).

For that I use warframe.market - as those mod prices are rather stable. Main advantage: I don't have to dive into the trading chat for hours since interested buyers just whisper me.

You can use warframe.market to get an impression for market prices of other items too, although you usually get better deals in tradechat. If you want to sell use the filter "WTB" and have your inventory open along. Along you can post a list of items you want to sell, including prices.

Best time to make platinum: the first two days of new prime items. You will see prices of 100+ platinum for rare parts and not much less for even some commons. It's a bright idea to farm syndicate points for ALL your syndicates before a prime release, so you can buy relic packs (20,000 syndicate points for a pack with three relics) en masse. You can go even further and hoard syndicate medallions you trade on the day release. There's one thing that breaks your ambitions however: void traces. Anyway, it's a good opportunity to make some nice platinum.

Other methods:

• Become a trader: this takes patience, a good memory, fast reading and typing and hours in tradechat.
  • Hunt Eidolons: the best Arcanes still sell high. You make tons of focus points along too (about 200 Triple Eidolons and you got the whole Focus Wheel). RNG and bad groups can be a bit straining though.
  • Specialize in maxout mods: if you got the means to hunt in The Arena and are able to make 700+ endo in 3 minute runs, you could use endo-farming to max out popular mods (Serration, Hornet Strike, Blind Rage etc.) and sell em for high plat.
  • Riven Mods: you could farm Kuva and roll riven mods. I only recommend that for popular new mods. RNG is a *@##$, so usually quantity has to beat probability. With popular new mods half-way decent mods can sell for several hundred platinum already. It's cost intensive too if you want to have a large number of mods ready. The better way is becoming a riven mod trader, but that takes the expertise of a normal trader plus a good purse to start with

About platinum scams:

• check Mastery rank of the interested player: the higher the MR, the more time the player has spent in the game, the less likely it is, that he will risk his account with fake platinum trades (unless he's really dumb). Low platinum sales are usually risk free.
  • beware sales that sound too good to be true: someone is willing to pay several thousand platinum for mediocre riven mod? Chances are that it's not a citizen of Bahrain but a scammer.
  • try to keep more platinum than you're getting: what happens after a scam? It's reversed, you lose the money from the deal and hopefully get your item back. If you have spent the platinum already and your platinum count becomes negative by the reversal, your account is locked. You can only unlock it again, by buying platinum for real money.

Edited by Toran

Lots of good advice here already. A few pointers regarding prices:

- most stuff isn't worth anything, that is why you see prices like 1 or 2p. Because you can't go lower.

- Early on your best chances to make small amount of plat is Nightmare mods and companion/beast mods that are farmable on Earth and no one really cares about until you really need them (like Link Health/Armor/Shields). There is even a chance to get your hands on Bite which sells for at least 40p, usually around 50.

- the next step up would be Syndicate and Corrupted mods. You can get between 10 and 15p for most Syndicate mods and 20p+ for the good Corrupted mods (Heavy Caliber and the Warframe mods)

All this stuff can easily be sold through trade chat by setting your filter to WTB and just offering to people looking for specific items, no need to spam. You can also put them up on warframe.market but you will have too be the cheapest seller that is online to see any traffic here. Nobody is going to contact the guy that sells for 20 if there are 5 people that sell for 15.

And as some others have mentioned already new stuff is always expensive, at least if it is any good. I sold about three Rubico Prime in parts before I build one for myself.

Rivens are a whole different game. Except for comparable items (unrolled, veiled, and trash) the prices fluctuate wildly and most of what you see spammed in trade chat are prices from fantasy town. Unless you a firm grasp of current prices you'll have a difficult time finding the good deals here. If you are looking to buy you are much better off checking riven.market for the items you want and if you are selling for realistic prices this also a good place to make your offer. Here the pricing is similar to everywhere else: the ones closer to the bottom tend to sell fast but the good rivens may cost ridiculous amounts of plat. But they are still sold sometimes because someone with lots of plat wants exactly that item and is willing to dish out some cash for it. I have a few rivens that are priced quite high because that is the amount I want to compensate for the loss of the riven and the fun I had with it instead of being realistically priced. Obviously I rarely sell one of those but when I do I can go around and look for something new and exciting with the plat I got from the sale.

17 minutes ago, SirKnum said:

I sold about three Rubico Prime in parts before I build one for myself.

This lol. I spent days farming chroma and rubico prime parts when they came out and made around 1000 plat from it. I still haven't built a chroma for myself yet.

Always keep an eye out for new mods and other tradable items that get added in patches, anything semi useful that takes some effort to farm will be worth a lot for a few days. The next big opportunity will most likely be the new items added in fortuna.

Sweet, I didn't know there was a WTB filter.  Probably because I don't like trade chat spam lol.  I'll have to compare syndicate mods to other syndicate gear as well.  And, yeah, I understand you need to also take the time to screenshot all your trades, just in case.  It'll be annoying to have to wait on the slots - I'm out of all weapon slots, frame slots, and even sentinel slots atm.  It's still better than the alternative.  Money just gets tighter all the time.

What's a good MR to shoot for when checking out potential buyers?  It's been ages since I started playing, so I don't quite recall the speed of earning early ranks.  For example, is MR 3 or 4 still too low?

Warframe.market is the way to go.  I’m not spending time in trade chat.  Warframe.market is an actual live market. Look up your item. Those orders are active and that’s how much people are listing them for.  Want to sell quick? Undercut the lowest price by 1 plat.

there’s a statistics tab that tells you the order history too - what the average price of the item has been over the past 12 months (or whatever time frame.). It’s interesting to watch things like Primed Reach hit 150plat, then Baro brings it, then it plummets to 40plat.  Then slowly rises again.

tradeing can be a bit boring but i do my stuff during mission prep like when im grinding for stuff and the rest of the team is trying to figure out what there going to roll with sometimes just visit the relays and try to see what they want or need show a few things you got also if you have a prime set your much more likely to sell it and normally for a fair amount of plat.

you can normaly tell whats the price for an item buy looking in the trading chat just wait for a wile and watch and if something gets unvaulted farm it get a bunch of parts try for sets though and save them for a wile say a month or so because the price goes up on items that eather came out the vault or just went in.

Warframe.market/riven.market

Forget about trade chat, it's too much trouble and information lacking. You only want to go to trade chat if you are going to try and sell for far above avg market value, or buy way below avg market value(I.E. prey on ignorant people). For normal trading, the market websites are much better. They allow you to sort things, find exactly what you're looking for and find people who've got it.