Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros Shmekros Whatever else rhymes with -ekros (rework ideas)

TheTribalSock

So, i cant be the only one who thinks of Nekros as a bit... Underwhelming at this point, yes he has his augment mods but they don't make him any more.. Interesting, its hard to describe, but Nekros feels a bit lacking in substance, so i, and a few friends have been designing for ideas, new abilities, new passive, something to make Nekros feel a bit more.... Death-like, a bit more into what hes supposed to be. So here we go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His First ability, "Soul Punch" feels quite hollow, its a single target attack that deals pitiful damage and sends the enemy flying, his Augment does give him SOME interesting things, but not enough to justify using it. So i propose a different version, Soul Siphon. on a single press it releases out 2/4/6/8 "Tendrils" from Nekros, which automatically hit enemies and begin siphoning in HP from them, granting the HP to Nekros and nearby players and allies, enemies that are targeted by the Tendrils, if they die, give Nekros his main "Currency", "Souls", 1 "Soul" per 1 enemy, these souls can be used to beef up his other abilities at a certain conversion rate, For example, if the player Holds down 1, while having souls, he can begin firing them out, possessing enemies or damaging them (torn between which one), 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His Second ability, Terrify was normally a bit... Unreliable, iv'e noticed it does very little in itsself, without augments, So i propose "Mortify" when activated Mortify spawns 2/3/4/5 "Horrors", allied creatures that home in on enemies, causing them to get the same effect as Terrify, ONTOP of dropping their main weapons in terror, if the "Horrors" hit an enemy they are knocked down or stunned (Dont know which), If the player has souls, Lets say 10, they can power up the "Horrors" with the souls, making them beefier, faster, and instead of simply stunning or knocking down enemies, they deal damage, the AI of the Horrors would work as such, If there are no enemies within a certain range of Nekros, the Horrors will stay around him, and act as a bit of a decoy, soaking up damage for Nekros, but when enemies ARE in range, the Horrors will attack them, simple as that.

His Third ability, Desecrate, while undeniably useful, still feels a bit empty, so i propose the new Desecrate, or "Peculate" as i called it, 3 makes recent deaths, either corpses, or kills made by the players, and converts them into a few things, 1. Small buffs, 2. Energy, Health and Ammo and 3. As always, more loot. if Nekros has souls on him, 3 will grant bigger bonuses, at the cost of an increasing amount of souls, As for the buffs, it goes like this A. More damage, small % buffs, B. Speed or Ability Efficiency, C. Ability Range, Health and Energy stays as it always does, enemies drop it, but for ammo, the ammo is instantly transferred to the player, working sort of like ammo transmutation mods.

Now for his 4, Shadows of the Dead has been a bit Meh at best, while with its augment Shield of Shadows it can make Nekros a surprisingly tanky warframe, it still is a bit substanceless, So i propose. "Exanimation", "Wraith" or something to That effect, on activation, Nekros kills himself, draining his HP to 0, but instead of downing himself, he goes into a "Wraith" form, able to pass through enemies, and wielding a large scythe, any enemy killed by this scythe will turn into a "shadow copy" just like from Shadows of the Dead, these however, can be used as a sort of... "Bloodbag" for Nekros, he can, with 3 or 1, use the copies as health banks, ammo banks, energy banks, or they give him buffs, during the temporary "Wraith" form Nekros is invulnerable, though slower in movements, his abilities do also get augmented Somewhat, Soul Siphon gives 2 souls for 1 enemy, and instead of having to Use 1, the souls get given to you automatically upon their deaths, 2 spawns "Volatile Horrors", acting alot like normal "Horrors", but instead they run out at enemies and explode, dealing alot of damage, Nekros can hold 2 down in this form to keep spawning in more and more of them, 3 gains an Extra little fun thing, it now revives all enemies you have "Desecrated" as more shadow copies.

Now, the Alternate idea a friend proposed was as following for the abilities during 4 being active.

1 becomes a "Charge", Nekros flies forward with full control, swinging his scythe around wildly, OR it becomes a storm of homing souls, which, upon hitting enemies steals HP, giving them to allies and Nekros, 2 becomes as following, Nekros vanishes within an enemy, and can stay there, upon reactivating Nekros bursts out, terrifying enemies, causing them to be knocked down and loose their main weapons, the enemy he was in dies. OR. it spawns a ton of "Horrors" capable of killing enemies, 3 becomes more powerful, granting larger sums of ammo, energy, HP and loot.

As for Nekros' passive, several ideas went through my head.
1. Enemies at half or below health take more damage.
2. "Undeath", a slowly charging "charge" of "Undeath", (60 seconds or something), when active, if Nekros dies, the "Undeath" charge is instead consumed, and Nekros is brought back instantly.
3. Souls gained from 1 give Nekros directly small buffs, like more maximum health, giving him back small bits of energy, giving him more armor, or something similar.

As is obvious, discussions are expected, i have tried my Best to see what would likely WORK for Nekros, and what wouldnt.
If it calls for that, i CAN attempt to visualize my ideas to the best of my artistic abilities, just uh, do tell.

Edited by FlameMaker

Nekros is one of my mains, so I have quite some thoughts on this. I'll give my own opinion on the abilities he has, then yours to see if we can't find a middle ground. Don't worry, I'm not gonna bite!

Soul Punch: Cheap, reliable single-target CC which can be used to knock ancient healers and other VIPs out of the battle for a good amount of time! 

Soul Siphon: Sounds good on paper, but the big problem is the CC! I'll get to that shortly. This isn't so much a "BAD IDEA" as it is incompatible with another idea. If his 1 WAS replaced with an ability like this, I wouldn't be too mad.

Terrify: They need to remove the cap! Creeping Terrify being just a part of Terrify would also be great, but the damage vulnerability is quite good!

Horrors: AI in this game is baaaad and will only make the ability far more sluggish and unreliable! I get the fantasy is there, but while this ability may be more thematically exciting, it would be a direct downgrade. Eg. You're in a crowded room full of 6 fodder enemies, but there's one Corpus Tech behind them. You summon 5 horrors and they CC the fodder! And then you die to the tech. Perhaps if it was like Mesa's Shooting Gallery? You summon a few horrors that swirl around you, performing an AOE stun/fear when first cast and then every second or two, for a few seconds. Keeps the theme, but more consistent results!

Desecrate: Loot - but more importantly HEALTH ORBS! My only issue with this is that is could use more of a visual presence! Appearance-wise it is a bit average.

Preculate: I feel like that's just a biit too muddied and feels like a stretch just to rework an ability that already does what it says on the tin. This is the first ability I TRULY disagree with. The only reason I use desecrate is for the health orbs -- loot be damned! 

Shadows of the Dead: My big issue with this ability is just the lack of involvement! What I would do is remove their ability to wander; STRICTLY following the Nekros and firing without regard for their own safety. Rather than pressing 4 again to heal, I would have him able to hold his 4 to funnel energy into them, restoring their health and giving them a very considerable boost in damage while channeling. Or perhaps while they're being funnelled, they begin radiating a damaging aura that scales off their own health. This would be a much smaller change that I feel could go a long way to making shadows more interactive, as I enjoy the playstyle that comes with maintaining troops.

Wraith: This just feels wayy too different in a way I don't feel suits him. Part of it may be due to me thinking the whole "scythe" gimmick is a bit overdone, and as Nekros is dubbed as the "shaman" frame I feel like Shadows as it is has more of a feal of him "calling out to the souls of the damned" type thing. 

Passives:

1. The ol' weaker enemies taking more damage. A classic I can't complain about.

2. I'd say no to just passively gaining undeath. A per kill kind of deal? It would fit his theme.

3. A bit too close to Nidus, in my opinion

Edited by The_Tiddler
I said I disagreed with alot of things, but then I realized I didn't

8 minutes ago, The_Tiddler said:

Nekros is one of my mains, so I have quite some thoughts on this. I'll give my own opinion on the abilities he has, then yours to see if we can't find a middle ground. Don't worry, I'm not gonna bite!

Soul Punch: Cheap, reliable single-target CC which can be used to knock ancient healers and other VIPs out of the battle for a good amount of time! 

Soul Siphon: Sounds good on paper, but the big problem is the CC! I'll get to that shortly. This isn't so much a "BAD IDEA" as it is incompatible with another idea. If his 1 WAS replaced with an ability like this, I wouldn't be too mad.

Terrify: They need to remove the cap! Creeping Terrify being just a part of Terrify would also be great, but the damage vulnerability is quite good!

Horrors: AI in this game is baaaad and will only make the ability far more sluggish and unreliable! I get the fantasy is there, but while this ability may be more thematically exciting, it would be a direct downgrade. Eg. You're in a crowded room full of 6 fodder enemies, but there's one Corpus Tech behind them. You summon 5 horrors and they CC the fodder! And then you die to the tech. Perhaps if it was like Mesa's Shooting Gallery? You summon a few horrors that swirl around you, performing an AOE stun/fear when first cast and then every second or two, for a few seconds. Keeps the theme, but more consistent results!

Desecrate: Loot - but more importantly HEALTH ORBS! My only issue with this is that is could use more of a visual presence! Appearance-wise it is a bit average.

Preculate: I feel like that's just a biit too muddied and feels like a stretch just to rework an ability that already does what it says on the tin. This is the first ability I TRULY disagree with. The only reason I use desecrate is for the health orbs -- loot be damned! 

Shadows of the Dead: My big issue with this ability is just the lack of involvement! What I would do is remove their ability to wander; STRICTLY following the Nekros and firing without regard for their own safety. Rather than pressing 4 again to heal, I would have him able to hold his 4 to funnel energy into them, restoring their health and giving them a very considerable boost in damage while channeling. Or perhaps while they're being funnelled, they begin radiating a damaging aura that scales off their own health. This would be a much smaller change that I feel could go a long way to making shadows more interactive, as I enjoy the playstyle that comes with maintaining troops.

Wraith: This just feels wayy too different in a way I don't feel suits him. Part of it may be due to me thinking the whole "scythe" gimmick is a bit overdone, and as Nekros is dubbed as the "shaman" frame I feel like Shadows as it is has more of a feal of him "calling out to the souls of the damned" type thing. 

Passives:

1. The ol' weaker enemies taking more damage. A classic I can't complain about.

2. I'd say no to just passively gaining undeath. A per kill kind of deal? It would fit his theme.

3. A bit too close to Nidus, in my opinion

Right, so, thanks for the opinion, and now that you DID mention, the Horrors situation would be quite awful, as i just now remember the AI... I suppose it could be like that, or have simple homing projectiles that go from enemy to enemy, or similar. Soul Siphon was mainly just something to get the idea of having more than a single target ability, but i can see what you mean. Wraith, ive personally considered Nekros thematically to be "Death"? not a shaman, but, im not sure anymore as ive kind of forgotten things about Nekros, havent played him in a long while... Mainly because of Nidus. but, this is sort of why i posted this in the forums, to get discussions, SOME way to make Nekros both interesting and fun to play, while making him from a bit of a... Well, One Trick Pony (desecrate), to something more In line with his theme, sort of like they did with Limbo and the reworking of several of his abilities, as for the passives, all my friends DID agree that 1. was probably the best option, and it does fit Nekros well, Nekros being a... Sort of shaman? Sort of grim reaper? Type figure, it would make sense to be able to deal more damage to those close to dying. Awaiting eagerly for an answer.

43 minutes ago, FlameMaker said:

Right, so, thanks for the opinion, and now that you DID mention, the Horrors situation would be quite awful, as i just now remember the AI... I suppose it could be like that, or have simple homing projectiles that go from enemy to enemy, or similar. Soul Siphon was mainly just something to get the idea of having more than a single target ability, but i can see what you mean. Wraith, ive personally considered Nekros thematically to be "Death"? not a shaman, but, im not sure anymore as ive kind of forgotten things about Nekros, havent played him in a long while... Mainly because of Nidus. but, this is sort of why i posted this in the forums, to get discussions, SOME way to make Nekros both interesting and fun to play, while making him from a bit of a... Well, One Trick Pony (desecrate), to something more In line with his theme, sort of like they did with Limbo and the reworking of several of his abilities, as for the passives, all my friends DID agree that 1. was probably the best option, and it does fit Nekros well, Nekros being a... Sort of shaman? Sort of grim reaper? Type figure, it would make sense to be able to deal more damage to those close to dying. Awaiting eagerly for an answer.

Projectiles work too - a bit like Excalibur's Radial Javeline? Except, you know, actually useful. And he is both death and a shaman(as stated by Lotus in his profile) - often shamans were depicted as speaking to the dead and such! And as someone who mains him (as well as Inaros and Revenant. I'm sure you can see the trend) I prefer to play him as a summoner frame over an action frame, and so I feel like fleshing him out as one would do him justice seeing as there are few (that is to say no) proper summoner frames in the game. Perhaps his kit could somehow scale off of how many shadows he has?

I would definately say the first is a better passive - especially since desecrate makes his current one a bit redundant. But I don't mind the second, either, as long as it's charged per kill.

Also I didn't really say it too well because I'm a scatterbrain, but my criticism for the Siphon Soul was only assuming the AI-based Horrors. On its own, it's perfectly fine.

Edited by The_Tiddler
I'm bad at typing