Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gear Wheel Select not working (controller)

RhythmScript

Bit of a strange one, since 23.10.5 I can no longer select gear from the gear wheel using a controller for some reason. I think the reason has to do with how Warframe parses bindings through its native Steam Rebinding Interface support, because if I close WF, reopen it with my controller turned off (to bypass the Steam Overlay working), THEN turn my controller back on, I can select things in the gear wheel just fine. It seems as though the gear wheel has been reconfigured to expect a specific hard-coded input to select a given highlighted option, instead of parsing the Warframe generic "Select" command available from the Menu Inputs Binding set in Steam..?

Actually I'm now thinking the opposite: the problem is native controller support for this is broken. It doesn't just seem to affect people going through the Steam rebinder, and in fact if you manage to bypass the "controller detection" lock on Warframe and force the game to receive your Steam Input messages only (meaning it never captures direct XInput, which puts the game in a state where mouse and keyboard commands still work and alter the UI when used) it seems to fix the issue for the "select" command.

In the meantime, you can work around this by booting WF without your controller on, then turning it on when the game loads. Inputs still go through and the wheel works; the only issue is if causes your UI to change slightly if you are using your mouse (and removes the Steam Overlay typing keyboard when in text fields)

Edited by RhythmScript

Not much to add, save that I'm also having this problem. The infinite gear wheel worked (albeit finicky... finickily?) for me with a controller when it was first added, and now I can't seem to select anything on it. As you might expect, this is kind of causing havoc with me getting my Synthesis scans in, among other things!

11 hours ago, Adder114 said:

Slight update. Turns out I also can no longer accept daily log in rewards with controller now either. 

I think that's actually the new daily rewards login thing being confusing since I can still do this. Just make sure you actually move your cursor over the reward and select it.

I'd been able to select other rewards, but this time I got a 20% plat discount. Press A to claim or X to claim and use. A did nothing at all and X made a sound but didn't do anything, and I did have my cursor over it. Though may have just been a fluke, I'll test it again tonight.

17 minutes ago, TheDuffManCan said:

I too am experiencing the same issue. As well as the glitch that happens when you leave operator mode and it acts like you are holding right bumper. Have to go back into operator mode again to cancel it.

That operator bug has been happening to me ever since I started playing with a controller. It never went away and though others have complained about it DE doesn't seem to care.

I tried to play on the Plains yesterday and was quickly reminded of how much it sucks to get from point A to B without an archwing due to a busted gear wheel. My squad mates were leaving me and some missions were done by the time I finally got to the location. I felt like the fat kid that just couldn't keep up with his friends. 😭 I can't fish, I can't scan...dude, this sucks big time. 

It's really nice of DE to not even bother to acknowledge this and say anything here. This is getting close to being a week with it being broken and not only has DE done nothing about it, they also won't even tell us they're aware and working on it. They just don't care at all it seems.  

Yep works for me now too. It took nearly a week but honestly, I wouldn't have minded waiting at all if they just said something. Just let us know we've been heard and it is being worked on and I think many of us would calm down. I can only speak for myself here but it feels like DE doesn't care and that we're being ignored when some threads get an actual employee in them saying "Hey we're on it!" and others get no recognition at all. 

That being said yeah it works now, so at least there's that.