Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda Feedback and Discussion

(PSN)LoisGordils

So, with Fortuna right around the corner and having yet to see a glimpse of how Garuda will perform, I want to share some slight requests.

Primarily, the reason for this post stems from the fact that the more recent Warframes don't quite offer something that really makes that character feel unique. Khora has a generic damage dealing first and Nidus' Larva as a second skill. Venari is her redeeming factor and, sadly, is underwhelming. Revenant has Nyx's Mind Control, Iron Skin on steroids, Tidal Surge and pre-fix Peacemaker.

With that out of the way, my hopes are that Garuda not only performs well, but also feels unique and even though she is probably near completion, I am hoping for the following:

Spoiler

Passive: Being a Warframe centered around predatory bird/slaughter, I was thinking on how the more she kills, the deadlier she gets (increased movement speed and critical chance?). The bonus is boosted if enemies are torn apart. You can view this "Bloodlust" gauge like you do with Mutation Stacks, Spores etc.

Abilities: Here's the tricky part. With sooo many Warframes currently ingame, coming up with something unique that doesn't extrapolate to other frame's territory is quite complicated. What I have in mind for her kit is the following:

1. Bird of Prey: Basically, you toggle the ability and mark enemies with a (larger) reticle similar to Ash's. An enemy that receives this mark will become Garuda's prey. Killing your prey will contribute to her Bloodlust passive (in an enhanced form) and she will gain energy if dispatched with firearms, or health if killed with melee attacks. Allies also benefit from this skill (to give her some teamwork capabilities)

2. Raptor's Strike: Garuda uses the talons on her forearms to eviscerate her opponents. Tap causes her to deliver two quick slices in an X shape; hold will instead cause her to swoop to a targeted enemy and strike, inflicting damage and a bleed proc. Initiates a Finisher against enemies marked by Bird of Prey, energy is refunded if the prey is killed. Damage scales with melee mods. Should have high critical stats and damage, but low status.

3. Hawk's Vision: A perception-based ability that enhances Garuda's vision. Allowing her to see potential prey through walls and bestowing punch-through on all of her firearms. Against unalerted enemies, aside from revealing them through walls, it will also show enemy pathways. Allowing Garuda to predict where her enemy will be, to maximize her killing potential while remaining unseen.

4. Apex Predator: A self buff ability in which Garuda manifests her sanguine and cunning behaviour to its full extent. Apex Predator increases damage, speed, acrobatics, critical stats, power efficiency, increases knockdown and stagger recovery speeds. Slaughtering enemies in this enhanced state will cause them to drop Predatory Marks. These marks can be picked up by allies to grant them increased critical damage. However, the inability to obtain kills within a certain time period will cancel Apex Predator and put it on cooldown (very short, like ten seconds). I envision this skill to turn her into the ultimate predator: deadly, fast, relentless, merciless. Failure to withhold those traits, leads to a premature cancel of the ability. 

---------------------

Current abilities:

"Garuda

Your first look at the next Warframe is officially here! We’re trying to avoid categorizing her, but Geoff described her as the contrast to Valkyr in that she’s “elegant and refined” (sorry Megan). Descriptions are nice and all, but let’s take a look at what she can do:

PASSIVE: The lower her health, the more damage she does.

ONE: Cast upon an enemy to tear them apart with your claws. Doing so summons a shield in front of you to protect you, for a set duration. Additionally, you harvest their blood that can the charged by draining your energy and thrown at enemies to do damage.

TWO: Cast upon an enemy to impale them, creating an AOE that drains their life force to heal you.

THREE: Cast to lower your health, giving you energy based on the amount of health drained.

FOUR: Summon a flurry of blades around you, pulling in enemies and shredding them. You can move around while in the vortex.

She also comes with her own signature crossbow!"

https://www.warframe.com/news/devstream-118-overview

---------------------

October 21, 2018

I must say, I am loving Garuda so far. However, I have to point out a couple of things:

1. Her shield. Remove it. Make it a cloak of sorts. Not only is it not as useful, but it infringes too much on Volt's territory. I am also hoping that the visuals for the blood orb's explosion gets revised; it's non-existent. 

2. I love this ability, it's unique. However, instead of granting HP in bursts, make it a constant healing per second.

3. Her most unique ability. Maybe add a little bit more. Like an acrobatics increase based on the amount of HP sacrificed. 

4  This ability takes too much from Revenant's Danse Macabre. Let her summon the blades all around her (granting her some damage reduction) , enemies that approach her receive Slash procs and allow her to aim and send the blades hurling towards enemies. Blades should have punch-through.

Edited by (PS4)LoisGordils

• 2 weeks later...

Whats your thoughts on the new frame coming out? Personally looks very cool. With the ult would be different though. Too similar to that of Revenant or Nyx. Feel if they should do anything, they should have made her blades act like Titania butterflies but of course with more damage. Possibly make each killed one leave an orb of blood of which can be used as a shield like her 1 or acts as a mini 2 that gives her some health.

Personally, I like the ult the best out of the abilities. It's like a melee ranged version of mesas, which is kinda cool. I don't like any of the other abilities or the just copious amounts of blood though. She was billed as this elegant, gory frame and I kinda pictured like, blood particles just floating around her as her abilities or something instead of just being doused in blood which is just kinda cheesy IMO. I think she looks great when she's not covered in blood though.

I absolutely love her 1, 2 and 3rd as for now (truly gore frame :D) but her 4... is it only me that thinks that its basically the same as Revenant ult? Kinda disappoitnig not only cause the "copied" mechanics but also... idk how to call it, id expect from her ult to the most "gory" skill she has, a simple shredder is just meh (not too creative imo)

I really like her, I just have a problem with her ultimate. It's the same thing with Revenant. I feel like an ultimate that locks you in a specific animation is just bad for the flow of the fast paced and highly interactive gameplay. Hopefully they will change it to where you can move normally or atleast less restrictive during her ultimate. In a game where i can go sonic mode all the time I really don't feel like being locked to the floor going 1 mile an hour.

Edited by VoidRevenant

I wouldn't be opposed to this warframe getting Revenant's current Danse Macabre if Revenant instead got an Eidolon Laser cannon exalted or such instead. I don't however, understand why the Male Hindu deity, Garuda's name is being used for the 'gore' warframe.

Passive might not be too useful if there's a healer around.

Blood orb & shield (it scales with duration woops) hopefully scales with enemy health + str + charge from enemy attacks.

The impale hp drain ability is basically just single target Inaros ult. Hopefully it doesn't allow allies to kill the impaled enemy. (Enemy is immune to damage while impaled). Alternatively make it a cone in front of you so you can impale multiple enemies at once and just kill the impaled enemies if you want to stop the ability. But then that'd make it too similar to Inaros' ult.

Don't really have issues with the HP -> energy ability but it might make QT mandatory? I don't want to accidentally use it twice or thrice and kill myself. Based on current health so won't be able to kill self.

Ult felt uninspired tbh. Looks like a shorter range Danse Macabre. Hopefully the stats can save it. I think if there were different modes for it it would be a little bit more interesting. Like, say, you can hold the ability and the blades will disperse, giving you more range but less damage and healing and you gain access to your weapons. When you need the damage and healing you hold the ability again and the blades converge and act like what was shown in the devstream.

And without stats/scaling I can't really say much. 

Well it's WIP, and Pablo usually tweaks his frames after release like Harrow, Saryn, etc. I'm still gonna play her purely for looks.

Edited by TotallyLagging
i really shouldn't watch streams at 1 am thank god it's saturday

To me, Garuda's 4th is way different from Revenant's 4th and they are using a DevBuild so they are probably using a Garuda with Survivability Mods and nothing for her abilities. But her 1 - 3 by itself would make me Main her for sure because of my Love with Gore and Blood. Also her Passive and Third Ability makes her even more Berserker - ish than Valkyr.

Edited by VPrime96

As stated in the title, I'm really disappointed with the shown abilities, or at least most of them.

For one "the lower hp the better" concepts NEVER work out, and especially in a game like this where you'd get oneshot even if you were at full HP if you are not a specific set of frames in higher levels. The self heal is completely asynergistic with this goal as well, as using it makes you weaker, and you have to stand still to get oneshot by the next bombard coming your way. 

The frame has no way of survival. The shield was extremely sluggish, covers too little an area, and a bombard rocket will most likely still damage you through it. Charging the blood orb to deal damage is a death sentence, and we all know just how bad 99% of damage abilities are in this game, the damage becomes completely useless past lvl 70.

The self healing is useless since she is going to die in one hit anyways, and she even brings herself closer to death.

Then there is the ult... Good lord we just had revenant who had a BETTER version of this! And it was uninspired there too!.

So in summary : The frame has bad survivability, amost certainly bad damage, a terrible ult and terrible CC. What exactly does she DO? Even Ember is not as terribly asynergistic, at least she can CC somewhat.

And the worst part, there were such great fan concepts of a blood based frame, and every single one was miles better than this. Another great visual design wasted on a terrible gameplay concept.

Edited by ShikiRen

I have a new idea for Garuda's four,  Maybe if her giant claws on her arms grew and she threw them in every direction dealing high slash damage  and they would gradually grow back too as well after using it. It could also synergize with her one when she sacrifices some health to deal even more slash damage.

I'm fine with 1, 2, and 3.

But 4... Its boring. I REALLY hope it turns into something more active. Like a class you see in games sometimes where you use flashy attacks with lots of floating swords. this blender is just not cutting it. We just got rev indeed and this is nothing new.

3 minutes ago, Ace4573 said:

I have a new idea for Garuda's four,  Maybe if her giant claws on her arms grew and she threw them in every direction dealing high slash damage  and they would gradually grow back too as well after using it. It could also synergize with her one when she sacrifices some health to deal even more slash damage.

Yep. Hell I'd take a half claw half throwing knives exalted weapon. I mean if she at least ran normally, but she just floats through the world slowly. just infinitly inferior to the likes of Valkyr, even if Valkyr did not have invulnerability.

Edited by ShikiRen

2 minutes ago, ShikiRen said:

Yep. Hell I'd take a half claw half throwing knives exalted weapon. I mean if she at leats ran normally, but she just floats through the world slowly. just infinitly inferior to the likes of Valkyr, even if Valkyr did not have invulnerability.

blades fly out and you can drag enemies to you so you can disembowel them or something like that

Edited by geo223

You know that all Warframes shall not be balanced for level 2000 bombards content ?

Most players will never experiment past level 30 stuff, that's where the Warframe shall be fun to play. Stick with Ivara if you want to do Mot 20 hours, nobody really cares tbh.

Garuda seems extremely fine and fun right now.

Edited by Chewarette

@Urlan I guess DE wanted to make Garuda be tied to a character from Street Fighter, named the same - but it was a demon encased in samurai-styled armor, with spike-based atacks

Also - Garuda seems like she's a Bloodrayne - wannabe, but with orokin twist.

Sooooo - grineer war-tech frame in plans?

That orokin/grineer shield lancer in yesterdays prime-time was cool aswell...

Edited by Hynek307
Link to video and typo

1 minute ago, Chewarette said:

You know that all Warframes shall not be balanced for level 2000 bombards content ?

Most players will never experiment past level 30 stuff, that's where the Warframe shall be fun to play. Stick with Ivara if you want to do Mot 20 hours, nobody really cares tbh.

I have no problems with the power of her just the fact her 4 isn't that interactive. wait was that directed at the Op?

Edited by geo223

she could shoot those spines out as an attack, her 4 could be similar to Mesa's except you could aim them yourself and move with them, firing the spines give the spines punch through and have them do slash damage, it would make her much more viable or atleast interesting, I'd rather not have another Revenant...

Just now, Chewarette said:

Yes, but let me tell you a secret: As long as there are frames that are balanced as such, people will just play those, as they ALSO do better at low levels.Besides I'm talking lvl 70 content hee, she becomes terrible way before even sorties, which should be the standard at this point.

Also...extremely fine? She literally has an ability that halves her hp for some energy, 0 other benefits. Which is really terrible when lvl 40 Napalms or scorches can burn down 1k hp/shield in 2 seconds.

What SHOULD be is her being a pure hp frame with abilities costing hp on top of energy, or being able to cast abilities for hp instead of energy, and then a method to heal her self; and then make the abilities stronger due to the added risk. But no. An entire ability slot wasted on sth that you get as a passive from 2 mods.