Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda Feedback and Discussion

(PSN)LoisGordils

I can't be the only one that really hoped those blades on her arms would turn into discs/rings and become two spinning 'chainsaws' of viscera creating destruction, right?

Like, I expected her to run at people with two goresaws and mince them up while screaming "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Okay, maybe not the last bit, but the chainsaws!
Hold left click to spin them up, the longer you go without attacking, the faster they spin, the more damage they do!
Slide attack would propel you forward at insane speeds, using the chainsaws to boost you so you can become the deadliest toe removal service in the solar system!
Jump attack would turn you into the ultimate levitating roflcopter of soi soi soi soi head detaching death!
Block would slow down your chainsaws as you took damage, but would make you block at 100% until they slowed to a stop.

TL;DR: Where's my goresaws!? 😞

GARUDA, I'll keep it short:

Regarding her 4th ability (If it were to be the 'Blade tornado' continually)

MS paint rendition of what I'm about to discribe: https://imgur.com/a/Hyz7LvE

From the stream (19-10-2018 / Dev stream #118) I got the impression that Garudas

4th ability had no interaction once activated; which seemed quite dull.

So to interact with set ability using 'Left click' all the flying blades would direct in a

"tear-drop-shape" flying directly at the crosshair randomly in a tube-shape, before

rotating outwards ripping potential target and fly back to the tube shape intrance near Garuda.

(Note: #1 I might have drawn the arrow path direction (D-shapes, near player, at the final "slide") the wrong way...)

(Note: #2 The blade pathways are ment to be 3D for them to travel in randomly)

I welcome comments and thank you for reading!

Uraxz

I agree with the personal shield on her one after all after you dismebered an enemy you are in meele range and a lvl 100 bombard could still shoot you in the ass. Her 2 and 3 seems fine to me (if range extends the area in wich your spire heals you). The biggest disappointment is her 4, it looks cool but it must be boring to use. If they wanted to go with the elegant slasher archetype i would have loved it to be an exalted weapon wich uses the blades on her arm like floating sword. It could start with just two and "unsheat" more as the combo counter (and the carnage) goes up giving the moveset more multihits on every attack. It would kinda look like how Irelia from the game league of legends fight, dancing around making the blades twirl and cut everything around.

The only thing that really worries me is her shield and her 4th ability.
The Shield seems to only work in one direction, it also looks like its going to obscure the screen alot making it hard to see anything. I'd also prefer if the damage absorbed(?) would not be displayed above the shield, but rather on the top where all the buffs usually are OR if it were displayed like Nezha's Ring thing.

Her 4th Ability reminds me alot of Revenant and seems rather uninteresting to use, not to mention the lack of synergy with the rest of her kit. When i first saw her i thought that she is going to have exalted claw talon things and a more ferocious stance with that, but since that deos not seem to be the case, i would suggest maybe changing it to be an active ability which causes her to loose health over time and gain alot of buffs in return (Damage resistance, lifesteal, movespeed, attack speed/fire rate, reload speed etc.) which increase in strength the less health she has. ~

Edited by LunaSelenis
forgot something

5 minutes ago, LunaSelenis said:

The only thing that really worries me is her shield and her 4th ability.
The Shield seems to only work in one direction, it also looks like its going to obscure the screen alot making it hard to see anything. I'd also prefer if the damage absorbed(?) would not be displayed above the shield, but rather on the top where all the buffs usually are OR if it were displayed like Nezha's Ring thing.

Her 4th Ability reminds me alot of Revenant and seems rather uninteresting to use, not to mention the lack of synergy with the rest of her kit. When i first saw her i thought that she is going to have exalted claw talon things and a more ferocious stance with that, but since that deos not seem to be the case, i would suggest maybe changing it to be an active ability which causes her to loose health over time and gain alot of buffs in return (Damage resistance, lifesteal, movespeed, attack speed/fire rate, reload speed etc.) which increase in strength the less health she has. ~

Read up on the refinements made to the first post as I have updated it a little. It is very much along that lines

25 minutes ago, evolution567 said:

I agree with the personal shield on her one after all after you dismebered an enemy you are in meele range and a lvl 100 bombard could still shoot you in the ass. Her 2 and 3 seems fine to me (if range extends the area in wich your spire heals you). The biggest disappointment is her 4, it looks cool but it must be boring to use. If they wanted to go with the elegant slasher archetype i would have loved it to be an exalted weapon wich uses the blades on her arm like floating sword. It could start with just two and "unsheat" more as the combo counter (and the carnage) goes up giving the moveset more multihits on every attack. It would kinda look like how Irelia from the game league of legends fight, dancing around making the blades twirl and cut everything around.

Multi hit attacks would be rad!

Let it be akin to a glaive in modding, sided with relentless combination - you have a work of violent beauty

It´s similar to what I thougth it should be whit the difference that you can use your normal weapons and abilities during that time.

Essentially there are 3 phases:

1.) After activation the blades surround you and deal minor damage in a small area of effect passively.

2.) Hitting an enemies with any kind of attack launch the blades in the targets direction one at a time (weapons with fast firerate provide a similar effect you describe while slower or single hits are more controlled)

3.) After a short time or by picking them up the blade returns to you.

I'd have liked to see some sort of blood blades coming out of her causing ennemies to bleed buffing garuda sorta claws (or maybe throwing knives to get beefier and bloody) or have a nekros/nezha like ability to spawn blood blades from ennemies and the more ennemies get hit it spreads (like saryn spores)

I mean rn it jut looks like gara throwing glass shards everywhere

I am disappointed with her kit. There is nothing really uniqe, even the theme is great it is not implemented properly. So there is my perfect Garuda:

Passive: Killing enemies makes her stroger. E.g killing 30 enemies provide +20% shields, another 30 +20% health, next armor +20%,  next  +15% power strength. And make it stack infinite. But only kills by ability would count. 

First ability: That kamehame ball was ok but is too complicated, so when you press 1 you will acumulate damage that you are dealing with weapons and abilitys  and then tapiing it again release it as a bloody ball (mix of Nova's antimatter drop, Mesa's first and day Equinox's 4)

Second ability: Impaling enemy that will heal you and allies in 20 meters range (as it is, but better). 

Third ability: Aura of flying blades (7 meters) that wille reduce incoming damage by 60-70% for all in range and each enemy will get slash proc and will be added to the passive count twice. 

Fourth ability: Exalted  thorwing blades.  She creates halo of blades that she can throw an target. When in that mode mele button will send a wave of blades. Some autoaim maybe?

In my opinion this would be a perfect warframe. 

Edited by (PS4)radek1251
https://www.google.pl/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fqph.fs.quoracdn.net%2Fmain-qimg-9d5a60374edc8531f6b1aee8a62ee477&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.quora.com%2FWho-is-Erza-Scarlet-in-Fairy-Tail&docid=4RPW5hR-VnB0-M&tbnid=0-3WSdlOJXj4kM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwirsb7ui5X

I am disappointed with her kit. There is nothing really uniqe, even the theme is great it is not implemented properly. So there is my perfect Garuda:

Passive: Killing enemies makes her stroger. E.g killing 30 enemies provide +20% shields, another 30 +20% health, next armor +20%,  next  +15% power strength. And make it stack infinite. But only kills by ability would count. 

First ability: That kamehame ball was ok but is too complicated, so when you press 1 you will acumulate damage that you are dealing with weapons and abilitys  and then tapiing it again release it as a bloody ball (mix of Nova's antimatter drop, Mesa's first and day Equinox's 4)

Second ability: Impaling enemy that will heal you and allies in 20 meters range (as it is, but better). 

Third ability: Aura of flying blades (7 meters) that wille reduce incoming damage by 60-70% for all in range and each enemy will get slash proc and will be added to the passive count twice. 

Fourth ability: Exalted  thorwing blades.  She creates halo of blades that she can throw an target. When in that mode mele button will send a wave of blades. 

5 minutes ago, eliasYaboi said:

I'd have liked to see some sort of blood blades coming out of her causing ennemies to bleed buffing garuda sorta claws (or maybe throwing knives to get beefier and bloody) or have a nekros/nezha like ability to spawn blood blades from ennemies and the more ennemies get hit it spreads (like saryn spores)

I mean rn it jut looks like gara throwing glass shards everywhere

True... also, it's so uninvolved. Why get rid of the afk ultimates on one side (Banshee, Ember) just to introduce new ones on the other side? I bet, with the right mods, the pull radius will be so big, you'll end up not moving much at all in defense, mobile and survival again.

Edited by WarBaby2

1 minute ago, (PS4)radek1251 said:

Fourth ability: Exalted  thorwing blades.  She creates halo of blades that she can throw an target. When in that mode mele button will send a wave of blades. 

I think everyone loves Hela for Garuda

I can see the how's and why's behind the passive due to her violent nature.

Scaling similar to Nidus - I appreciate it, though it would need to be balanced accordingly

3 minutes ago, TheRealShade said:

I would love it if it were Exalted Tonfas that send a wave of blades with guaranteed slash procs on charge attacks.

I like that... it would also get around the awkwardness of equipping Venkas on her... CLAWS EVERYWHERE! 😉

1 minute ago, Phyrak said:

I think everyone loves Hela for Garuda

I can see the how's and why's behind the passive due to her violent nature.

Scaling similar to Nidus - I appreciate it, though it would need to be balanced accordingly

I dunno... I kinda like the glass cannon feel she has. Making her more tanky and more deadly at the same time misses her theme a bit.

I am disappointed with her kit. There is nothing really uniqe, even the theme is great it is not implemented properly. So there is my perfect Garuda:

Passive: Killing enemies makes her stroger. E.g killing 30 enemies provide +20% shields, another 30 +20% health, next armor +20%,  next  +15% power strength. And make it stack infinite. But only kills by ability would count. 

First ability: That kamehame ball was ok but is too complicated, so when you press 1 you will acumulate damage that you are dealing with weapons and abilitys  and then tapiing it again release it as a bloody ball (mix of Nova's antimatter drop, Mesa's first and day Equinox's 4)

Second ability: Impaling enemy that will heal you and allies in 20 meters range (as it is, but better). 

Fourth ability: Exalted  thorwing blades.  She creates halo of blades that she can throw an target. When in that mode mele button will send a wave of blades. Some autoaim maybe?

Just now, ADM-Ntek said:

to me it feels very similar to both rev and Inaros. basically whirlwind of death.

Well, you can only do so much with the theme... and the game systems in general. Still, I would love for a few more active ultimates to be introduced again.

Just give her normal mobility while her fourth is active, since the range isn’t that much from what I can tell this lets her jump into groups of enemies and shoot enemies out of range. Dmc 3 Virgil’s summoned swords for reference. Also, just doesn’t look right imo, floaty ability on a melee frame.

Besides this first impression of her was pretty good. She’s obviously a melee range frame so The range on her abilities seems fine. 

Some concerns: damage scaling of her 1, does it have to kill the enemy to get the shield? Will it be recastable like slash dash? 

Scaling of the shield? Is it flat out negating damage for the duration or is there a cap? 

Is 200% the max for her damage boost? Can you recast after healing to increase it further?

Now, I might be too early to start bashing on a warframe that hasn't even been released, but from how I was hoping she would come out as and all the hype around her, I really can't hold myself from saying something after seeing what they had for her on the devstream. So please bear with me for a moment or five as I explain my viewpoint on this matter. It WILL be long and it WILL be detailed, so be ready for a big read.

Let's start then, shall we? Just a day or so ago, DE had a little devstream exhibiting the upcoming warframe. Her theme revolving around gore and blood, Garuda was announced alongside Revenant and in the latest devstream we got to see how she is to function in-game.
A good part of us, myself included, were a tad disappointed at what we saw, however.

I'm gonna do this by parts and elaborate exactly what I see wrong with it and my suggestion on how to address it.

So let's start out with her passive ability: she is to gain more power the lower her health is. In turn-based rpgs, this would probably be considered a "clutch" or a "pinch" ability. Be careful when cornering someone, you become the path of least resistance. This would be an ability fitting a berserker, a beast or a barbarian but not that fitting for what is supposed to be a refined sadist like Garuda. It's even more unfitting due to the fact that it would fluctuate wildly and be outright ruined by practically half of the current warframe cast, as everyone seems to have a way to restore health to themselves and their team mates indirectly or otherwise. Not to mention that this playstyle is essentially the worst parts of Chroma's buffing, teaching players that harming oneself is beneficial. This isn't what a sadist should be showing. A sadist derives joy and pleasure from harming OTHERS. And even ignoring the themeing, purposely putting yourself at low HP without some way to cover for your loss effectively can be a very inconsistent strategy that will more often than not result with you face down on the floor. This is very frustrating in any game and warframe is no different.
Now, after that whole paragraph bashing just the passive ability, I'd like to propose my solution. Instead of receiving bonuses from lowering you health, which is very often necessary for your functionality in missions, I suggest having a separate resource to be gained and utilized as the core of her build. I'll refer to this as "Bloodlust" to fit her theme. She would gain Bloodlust from having enemies die really close to her, via melee attacks or otherwise, as a reference to a sadist's like of "being bathed in the blood of others". This resource would then steadily grant her bonuses, like additional movement speed and attack, in a similar way to how Nidus' Mutation Stacks work. Of course, this would have to be managed, as not gaining Bloodlust consistently will have it start subsiding and reducing its value, similar to how Saryn's spore damage will decay when no spores are present. I'd very much like the term "subside" to be used here rather than "decay" to not have it sound like it's a sickness that the Bloodlust is going down, rather just a return to a normal state. Bloodlust would also be gained from her ability usage and would be implemented in her ultimate which I will detail soon here.

Well, that was a rough start, changing the passive already when it was supposed to be the core of DE's proposed concept. Let's actually give them some points for good work on this next ability, as I believe they actually nailed the concept. It just a few adjustments to fit the new passive I suggest. 
Garuda's first ability, called "Soul Bulwark", has her lunge at an enemy and shred them to pieces, using the scattered blood to build a shield and a power orb in front of her. She can then recast the ability to shoot out the power orb forward and deal damage.
My first issue is the name "Soul Bulwark". It only refers to the 2nd part of this ability and has no mention of the actual effect the public was expecting: the lunging and shredding. I say drop the shield and power orb entirely, as it won't be as necessary with the new passive I suggested and keep the first part of the ability as the main part. I'd rename it to "Bloody Rend" to best reflect this. It would work as shown, jumping on an enemy and tearing them to pieces, and also gain a high value of Bloodlust from the act. If this should be a guaranteed 1-hit-kill on enemies, I am still unsure, but it would be a nice precedent to have. Adding a bit of invincibility time during the lunge, just like with Atla's Rockslide ability, would also be beneficial for its utility.

Let's keep going with the praise, as I think this next ability was made perfectly for Garuda's theme of sadism.
Garuda's second ability, called "Sanguine Syphon", will impale an enemy on bloody spikes and start draining their health and giving it to Garuda while she's close to her victim.
Quite honestly, this is probably how I'd base the build on Garuda. This ability is excellent both flavor-wise and as utility. This is what a sadist would be doing, impaling her victims and letting them suffer a painful torture, bleeding them out and fueling her sadistic pleasure. And gameplay-wise, it's disabling an enemy and restoring health, always necessary in a fight. This is PERFECT, PLEASE keep this. Although there's a few edges that need polishing (pardon the pun), this particular ability is just what will be most used on her. Just add a few more details, like keeping the impaled enemy in an invincible state as to avoid having it die before providing enough health, having the healing also affect nearby allies to make her more of a team player, maybe having a reactivation kill off the enemy before a new one can be impaled and finally also grant some more Bloodlust for the passive I suggested as well as health. Even the name is excellent, I'll honestly give my kudos to the design of this ability in particular.

Alright, moving on to the next ability
Garuda's third ability, "Life Sunder", has her sacrifice 50% of her health in order to restore energy.
Alright, I know I just recently bashed on the strategy of "self-harm for benefit" but quite honestly, I think we can let this one ability slide. Mostly because, well, it can be a nice support option to keep the slaughter going. Now that the lowered health won't be as pivotal with the Bloodlust passive, I think having it sacrifice only 25% of health would be enough to keep its utility. But, as with the other 2 abilities, making it also grant a Bloodlust value will be crucial. It can be a nice way to keep the Bloodlust from subsiding too far while there are no enemies around. But the only thing I'd mostly change on it is the animation. Instead of being that dumb little twirl, I'd like Garuda to actually bleed herself to use this ability (not the status proc, but that could actually fit in nicely too). To have an animation where she claws her own shoulders in masochistic glee. It will fit her theme of blood nicely, a bit of masochism to complement her sadism, but not so much as to usurp the theme.

And finally arriving at her ultimate ability
Her "Engulfing Blades" ability, has her create a blade vortex around her, pulling in and shredding any nearby enemy.
I say this is a bit... too extravagant, even for Garuda. It IS indeed very gory, very bloody and very sadistic, but it's still a bit... too distracting, I think that would be a term to call it. Instead of an entire vortex, I'd suggest just a ring of blades spinning around her, similar to another videogame character which I am not allowed to name here, and actually allow her to continue acting instead of being stuck to the animation like Nyx's ultimate (which, by the way, almost nobody likes either, very restricting). Now, here's where it all culminates in my suggestion: this Engulfing Blades would actually use up the Bloodlust value built up to create the blades and serve as a meter to their power and durability. The blades will spin around Garuda, hitting enemies but using up their durability until they break and the ultimate ends. More Bloodlust used would grant the blades more power and have them last longer. But I'm not going to stop there, oh no no no no no. For this suggestion, I'd like to have the Engulfing Blades also be used on her other abilities when present. For example, for her "Sanguine Syphon" (which I hope everyone realized is the ability I most enjoy that DE came up with, kudos again), casting it while Engulfing Blades is active will use up the blades and also impale additional enemies nearby! Creating more areas to heal Garuda and her team mates. The ability "Bloody Rend" I suggested to rename "Soul Bulwark", when cast during "Engulfing Blades" would have them shoot outward from her position, dealing damage to any surrounding enemies. As for "Life Sunder", I don't really see a way to actually put a pertinent follow up for it using "Engulfing Blades", but maybe also work similarly to "Bloody Rend" and pinpoint enemies nearby to nail them down with the blades as Garuda bleeds herself. These followups would tie her whole kit nicely, having it revolve around the suggested Bloodlust mechanic in order to enhance her Ultimate, which will then enhance her other abilities, which will then generate even more Bloodlust.

For the final notes, this is just a suggestion of mine to try to make Garuda work and work well. When I heard that her designer was the same as Saryn, Nidus and Harrow, my hopes for her were immeasurable. But seeing her in action in the devstream... sure, her abilities synergize with each other somewhat, but it felt more like a closed cycle rather than one where some benefit could be gotten out of. Like a steam engine. It can provide power, sure, but if it's not connect to any machine, it's really doing nothing but boiling water. This suggestion is an attempt to create the engine that is Garuda that connects to the machine that is Warframe.
Now, all the mechanics talked about, I'll just end off by making a little aesthetic suggestion: I would like Garuda to LAUGH.
We have Rhino roaring like an animal using his abilities, we have Valkyr angrily screaming, I would like Garuda to laugh sadistically when using her abilities. No words, no quips or quotes, just laughter. As she mauls and shreds enemies, as she bathes in their blood and guts, laughing and laughing in unsettling sadistic pleasure. That will be the absolute best cherry to put on top.

And for now, that is all I can say. My most sincere apologies if this has gotten too long or too ranty, but I have heard plenty of game designers do or not doing something, getting backlash and then coming up with the excuse that "nobody spoke out, so they thought it was ok". Well, I'd like this post to be considered as me "speaking out". Even if it changes nothing and Garuda is still released as she is, at least I will be able to say that I. SPOKE. OUT.

Thank you all for your time, and have a good one!

Edit: This was originally a thread on Warframe Feedback as I believed it was too long to be a post in an already full thread, but if the forum mods deem it ok to be here, fine by me.

Edited by Zoh_Veldae

Similarly to other people, her 4 left me wanting more. My first thought when I saw it was "Is that it?".

It's just another 'press 4 and move around while everything dies in front of you' ability which I'm not fond of. Her 1-3 look fine and the synergies are to be expected from Pablo, but her 4 just seems underwhelming.

I would like to see it be more interactive and something I can have fun playing with, not a 'lemme press 4 real quick and go get a coffee', because we have enough of those.

My biggest problem is with her 4. It just doesn't look fun.

Make it an active attack instead, either a AoE blade spin around her in a single hit or with stacking damage the more enemies you hit or start bleeding.

That way you can jump around and throw out the attack stack damage and jump somewhere else and continue.

I think it would be really fun and quite powerful and scalable.

Restating thoughts due to merger:

Her passive should be of health lost and slash procs for a duration rather than flat percent; think of losing 35% hp - passive is now 135% lasting 30 seconds to a minute until overwritten by a same or stronger buff of the passive.

Ramping damage bonus from lost health should scale from base health - if vitality is equiped, scaling increases by X (maybe 4.4 but that is probably unreasonable).

Thirdly, let her apply consistent slash procs - the lower her health, the more slash procs she applies.

Overall, her passive would:

- give damage scaling lasting a duration based on health lost, further granting more above the base amount.

- increasing applied forced slash procs based on her health. Eg. 1 slash proc at 90%+ hp, 2 slash procs at 80%+ hp (whatever is reasonably balanced).

Her 1 should be a personal AoE shield rather than blocking in a single direction - think blood and bone armour or perhaps give her a cloak of blood as that is far more elegant.

Have it somewhat like Nezha's shield with damage reduction and it's own health pool - damage that wasn't taken from the 90% reduction is infused with the blood orbs.

Allow this health pool to 'heal' and increase through use of the 1.

Using the 1 grants up to X blood orbs. 

Now that block shield isn't obscuring combat (not the most elegant of shields...) and she can use multiple blood orbs.

2 should skewer said foe multiple times, allowing for it to float besides her to give her health as a mobile health pack. If a mobile health pack is too much, simply let more than one for be skewered - said foes can then be exploded for extra damage/a burst of healing if in the area with holding the 2 key.

3 with synergy of the passive needs something else - maybe extra health regeneration or over shield to get her in the fight and keep her there. Perhaps giving more barrier based on health lost/energy generated in synergy with her 1 to give her large amounts of damage based of her health?

If her 4 becomes something akin to Hela, let her send out a wave of spears upon using the skill, bleed proccing foes - damage scaling of the health lost too?

I guess for her 4, many people were expecting Hela myself included - using the mouse to direct the blades, that could be one way to bring out such a concept to direct the spears/blades. If she is going the exalted weapon route, relentless combination for melee and whirlwind of the glaive work perfectly for her.

46 minutes ago, Arcira said:

It´s similar to what I thougth it should be whit the difference that you can use your normal weapons and abilities during that time.

Essentially there are 3 phases:

1.) After activation the blades surround you and deal minor damage in a small area of effect passively.

2.) Hitting an enemies with any kind of attack launch the blades in the targets direction one at a time (weapons with fast firerate provide a similar effect you describe while slower or single hits are more controlled)

3.) After a short time or by picking them up the blade returns to you.

Ah' so the 4th would become an 'attack-addition' depending on your currently equipped weapons firerate?

Mayhaps the baldes (Ammo) would restore like archwing imperator charges (From blood), since the

the rip 'n' tearing part might have to be rewarding as a ultimate.

(My post has been re/moved (I think...) and last I saw your comment was there, so I'm sorry if it didn't make sense. I'm replying with context of my past-post)

Thank you for your reply @Arcira

I see, merging. Became really confused when replying to Arcira gave me an error. Thought for a second I had crossed a posting rule. @Phyrak

Edited by Uraxz

10 minutes ago, Uraxz said:

Ah' so the 4th would become an 'attack-addition' depending on your currently equipped weapons firerate?

Mayhaps the baldes (Ammo) would restore like archwing imperator charges (From blood), since the

the rip 'n' tearing part might have to be rewarding as a ultimate.

(My post has been re/moved (I think...) and last I saw your comment was there, so I'm sorry if it didn't make sense. I'm replying with context of my past-post)

Thank you for your reply @Arcira

I see, merging. Became really confused when replying to Arcira gave me an error. Thought for a second I had crossed a posting rule. @Phyrak

Merging can be infuriating at times 😕

hopefully it leads to more fruitful discussions