Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda Feedback and Discussion

(PSN)LoisGordils

I was having a discussion with a few clan members about Garuda's skills and thought of a few changes that might work and still keep her the gory goddess she's supposed to be...

First ditch her skill 3 and skill 4... so no self flagellation for energy and no blender mode... 
Instead...
Move her current skills 1 and 2 to the 2 and 3 slots respectively...
And add a instant cast "Shard Storm" ability like Khora's or Gara's Whips with the added effect of Chroma's Energy as "Blood Poisoning" for her new 1... the animation could be something like swinging her bone wings forward to launch bone shards in a cone of effect...
Then for her 4, do something like a "Bloody Impact" to create concentric circles of Nidus' 1 ability that consumes 25% of Garuda's 'current' HP (not max HP) to scale the damage with bonuses per enemy killed (either increasing damage or HP returned)...

The final... and largest... change, would be to eliminate her energy pool entirely... all her skills are powered by her HP.

Is it just me, or this shield ruins Garuda overall aesthetic? It just seems so out of place, and takes so much space for no reason. There is already a hovering ball that contains all visual information you need, and arguably it even could be replaced by an icon on the side, similar to the Saryn spore stacks.

Spoiler

F9rdIwY.jpg

Its a directional shield from what was shown, its there to tell you "Hey, bullets coming from this direction are getting blocked". how does it take so much space for no reason or ruin her overall aesthetic.

That's like saying Volt's shield take too much space and ruin his aesthetic. 

Edit: This was moved here from it's own thread - I hadn't noticed this one in the general board. Sorry mods.

So this will likely be irrelevant in the coming weeks, because we all know that DE ends up reworking new frames rather shortly after their release - we've already seen it just recently with Revenant, and rightly so...

...but man, if I learned anything from Devstream #118, it's that I think Garuda's 4 might just be as boring and trite as her 1-3 are exciting and interesting. It needs some love.
Well, I've brought some love for it.

We all know that Garuda is meant to be sortof like Valkitty's big cynical sister... the ice-blooded slaughteress to complement Valk's seething ball of claws and rage... so, it stands to reason that her 4 should roughly resemble Valk's but with a significant twist-
My personal opinion? It should turn her armblades into an exalted weapon like Valkitty's, but with a few colossal differences... Valk is a close-quarters rage machine with a high damage single-target focus... so how do we make this new Killer Queen's stand ult low damage and long-range with a multi-target focus? It's actually rather simple... you make the blades connect to her by a blood-red chain of exalted energy in the style of a blade-whip weapon like the Mios or Lacera, you give that thing a God of War style Chaos Blades animation set (maybe give it more of a deliberate ballet-like feel to it though, we don't want this to feels as rage-y as kratos was, it should feel uncaring and malicious) with wide sweeping slices for connecting with multiple enemies, and you make it a low crit high status weapon that deals exclusively slashing damage (call it... base 100 dmg or so? About a 3rd of Valk's claws) so that you're popping bleed procs all over the effin' place. Best part? With this active, a scaling 25/50/75/100% of all damage dealt by bleed procs within 5/10/15/20 meters of Garuda will be given back to her as hp.
Boom. An ability worthy of being a 4 that's not only balanced and thematically fitting, but also allows for a stronger sense of control by the player and doesn't just feel like Nyx gave birth to Revenant's more violent daughter

Edited by DaraSilverDragon

21 hours ago, Silver-Priest said:

Is it just me, or this shield ruins Garuda overall aesthetic? It just seems so out of place, and takes so much space for no reason. There is already a hovering ball that contains all visual information you need, and arguably it even could be replaced by an icon on the side, similar to the Saryn spore stacks.

Reveal hidden contents

F9rdIwY.jpg

I agree with this, a shield like Mesa's would make much more sense.

20 hours ago, Midrib said:

That's like saying Volt's shield take too much space and ruin his aesthetic. 

With Volt you can choose whether to pick it or not, at least...

Let's say they change her 4 to an exalted spear gun. 

It would have a primary stafflike element (possibly incorporate some of her talons into its frame) and have a large floating blood orb on top. The spear gun would fire bolts of blood at enemies. While active, all of her abilities gain increased damage and she receives increased healing. Additionally her abilities cost health instead of energy. Damage dealt by abilities or the weapon while active is accumulated into the blood orb at the top of the weapon, using alt fire will throw the weapon which will then explode in an aoe dealing the accumulated damage to effected targets as well as bleeding them over time for a percentage of the initial damage.

IMO im not actually a fan of exhalted weapons but i liked the blood mage theme and think that the inc damage+heals+hp cost vs energy would be a nice ult for her. Alternatively i wouldnt mind something unique like a long ranged damage skill. She could engulf a talon with blood energy and throw it like a spear with long range huge damage and perfect accuracy like one of those blue guys from GoT. 

7 hours ago, xXDeadsinxX said:

They stated that they changed Garuda’s 4th ability, so I guess we will have to wait and see what it will be in the end result with the Fortuna update.

If only the 4th ability was the only thing not right with Garuda. I seriously think they should have delayed Garuda for one of the next Fortuna updates after the initial one, like they had originally assumed they would have to, if all they have reworked is her 4. 

Her talon and shield combo on her 1 is not fluid, and that shield is not even necessary if it is not going to cover Garuda up. Volt can surround himself with his shields and shoot through them to get damage, and they do not disappear when he does or has to make another.  Volt's shield is also faster to make and does not require an enemy to do so. Garuda's shield is functionally inferior in almost every way.

Garuda throwing her shield is the only real use it has and yet it is more time consuming than necessary, and it is a move which Garuda could otherwise just have seperate from her claws and could create some other way. Not that she couldn't have some better or more thematic move replace it completely, to be honest.

Then we got her 2, which obligates you to be stationary. Counterproductive to being a space ninja i would say. This is the type of thing people complained about with the likes the energy focus change from 1.0, where the original Zenurik energy regeneration passive was going to be made into a bubble you actually had to wait around in as opposed to the current state where you just summon the bubble and you only have to touch it once to get regeneration on you energy. I don't want that kind of thing here either.

Finally we get to her 3, it is pretty uninteresting, and obligates that you have to use the forced babysitting that is her 2 or to always equip Quick Thinking. Not offering much build diversity or fun for this move, and all it does is slide some numbers up, *yawn*. Need some actual activity here if I am going to be hurting myself. I don't need to damage myself to get energy with Trinity or Limbo or Harrow. 

On 2018-11-02 at 12:15 PM, Greystrun said:

All I have left to say is: please, don't make her a blood mage, leave this concept to an other frame in the future. The idea of of hack n' slash has fit so well with her arm blades... it would be a pity to see it scrapped...

Pretending a bloodmage can't incorporate hack and slash...tsk. I would not say that hacking and slashing is a distinct enough thing to be its own theme(And we are already supposed to be space ninja.), a couple of frames also have that as a feature and a couple of concepts not used yet could cover hacking and slashing while not even being their sole theme.

Edited by UrielColtan
Grammar.

Sounds like Psychic Bolts with a charging mechanic. Was really hoping to become a moving blender of fear. Guess I should've expected this after Khora. If this change makes her more of a caster frame like the travesty you changed Saryn into instead of the up-close and personal frame she was when you debuted her then count me out yet again. We have enough casters. Seriously. Not to mention the ability charge mechanics you've crept into Warframe kits feels clunky and out of place in this game, and has since the advent of charged abilities.

Word of advice DE, stop showing off kits you intend to change.

If she ends up being another amazingly hardcore looking frame and not much else like Khora, then consider not making any more Warframes as you seem to have lost your touch when it comes to making fun, effective, and satisfying kits.

On 2018-11-04 at 1:48 PM, UrielColtan said:

Then we got her 2, which obligates you to be stationary. Counterproductive to being a space ninja i would say. 

*Says that her two making you stationary is counterproductive to being a space ninja*

On 2018-11-04 at 1:48 PM, UrielColtan said:

Volt can surround himself with his shields and shoot through them to get damage, and they do not disappear when he does or has to make another.  

*Volt surrounding himself with shields requires him to be stationaryWhy isn't that counterproductive I wonder?

I guess anything else is fine as long as it demeans the new frame 💁‍♂️

15 minutes ago, ryugichan said:

Work in progress anything is subject to change.
they say that at the start of every dev stream and the new ultimate is way better

By the description of it it sounds quite lame. Do you have any video of it on the works?

I don't get your logic, the reason they are showing it is to get the opinion of players about the kit, unless you want them to release a whole surprise warframe?
there is a reason why they created a megathread for garuda feedback.

and for the record, saryn is not supposed to be closed up frame, remember she was released with a broken miasma to win, unless you don't know that.
her kit is designed for room clearing and killing tons of enemies at a short time

30 minutes ago, Nitro747 said:

By the description of it it sounds quite lame.

and a continuous Damage zone around you that Kills stuff without any playing on the part of the Player does not?

20 minutes ago, Xeryla said:

and for the record, saryn is not supposed to be closed up frame

Saryn has literally always had a part Melee theme in the Abilities. (though not very much now that the Melee Ability gives the same thing to Guns so that one generally ignores that it affects Melee)

showing off WIP content means ur open to get impressions/opinions from ur player base. surprise sounds nice and fine but thats so susceptible to huge fails that its way more valuable to preview for mentioned opinions.

in garudas case that was really really good because even though her theme seems really nice and a very good fit for an official vampire frame it still had weaknesses which have to be sorted out for her to be a strong part the update. especially her 4 was really really obviously lackluster, both in creativity but also design/theme wise, aside from the fact that it was a mashup of already existing abilities and too obvious as such. at a certain point u could break everything down to be a mashup of whatnot but her 4 was just...well, a thing of the past, luckily~