Nyx Changes Dev stream 118 unofficial

Solarsyphon

The most recent Dev stream listed changes to Nyx ( dev stream 118, 30 mins to 33 mins). No game play was shown it was just brief notes with no concrete statistics so take them with a grain of salt. It's likely all very preliminary I just had some thoughts and didn't see a thread based on the Dev stream info. Titania was also mentioned but I don't have anything to stay about her and I think she deserves her own thread.

What I heard:

• Passive is being changed to a consistent accuracy debuff instead of chance to disarm
  • Mind control is having a 4 second damage absorption phase added where damage dealt to the target adds to the damage of the unit. Frost snow globe damage absorption was given as an example. 
  • Psychic bolts is being replaced with a defence stripping enemy debuff, it may be duration based. Removing ancients aura's and slowing units was mentioned.
  • Chaos no change
  • Absorb the Mechanics are staying the same, we're just readjusting the numbers and such at the moment and also changing the Damage Type.

What I think:

Chaos I think is fine. There's not as much pressure on it being only a third ability but some synergy would be nice. Absorb is more important and personally I think it's a shame there was no changes mentioned. Without the augment it really lacks any game play and with it the ability only slows down game play. We need something to do with it active, I have some suggestions but the core is there just needs to be something more than meditation. 

Suggestions (any of but probably not all):

• Make abilities castable
  • Add movement. Maybe a slow floaty thing like cloud walker
  • Add an attack to absorb like a beam that can be shot out or explosions
  • Add some synergy like giving the mind control target an absorb bubble at the same time
  • Do something weird  like letting you ghost out of your body or take control of an enemy. 

Personally I think it could be a good time for ideas because nothing is concrete.

Edit: Better absorb info from Tangent Valley

Edited by Solarsyphon

19 minutes ago, Solarsyphon said:

Absorb no change

"The Mechanics are staying the same, we're just readjusting the numbers and such at the moment and also changing the Damage Type." (To Paraphase DE)

The move itself is staying the same, but they're attempting to make her Ultimate...well...an actual Ultimate. Capable of scaling and killing enemies in higher levels.

4 minutes ago, Tangent-Valley said:

"The Mechanics are staying the same, we're just readjusting the numbers and such at the moment and also changing the Damage Type." (To Paraphase DE)

The move itself is staying the same, but they're attempting to make her Ultimate...well...an actual Ultimate. Capable of scaling and killing enemies in higher levels.

It's actually very strong. However, it could be extremely powerful if Absorb dealt the damage type it took in the most

7 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

It's actually very strong. However, it could be extremely powerful if Absorb dealt the damage type it took in the most

It's not the power I'm worried about it's that absorb encourages doing nothing and lacks any feedback. Even the explosion isn't very visually spectacular for something you could be charging almost indefinitely. It's kind of like if Goku's spirit bomb  was this low range barely visible thing after charging it multiple episodes. 

Did they say if her new 2 was a single target or AoE ability? I wonder if it will turn off eximus auras also. 

I've never been a big fan of absorb, but it doesn't seem like they want to change it much so, /shrug. Maybe they could add some synergy with other abilities like having chaosed targets not cause additional energy drain when attacking Nyx during absorb.

Or maybe provide some additional effect during absorb. Since you're in some kind of meditative state according to the description, they could make it have a sort of battle meditation effect where while you're in absorb, you give some useful buff to allies in affinity range (or a decent baseline modifiable range) as well as your MCed target and possibly chaosed targets. It could be something like increased fire rate and reload speed or crit stats or something. 

46 minutes ago, Solarsyphon said:
  • Do something weird  like letting you ghost out of your body or take control of an enemy. 

It could be neat if while in non-augmented absorb you gain a sort of ghostly psychic double that enemies can't see or hit. It wouldn't let you attack or anything, but just let you position it and when absorb ends, that double is where the explosion/psychic energy is released. When it ends I suppose you should instantly go back to your body, or maybe you could have it so if you end it with a long-press your body is also teleported to where you release the explosion?

Hmmm... I think her 4 could use some work, though I'm not really sure what.

Allowing her to boost her abilities with guns and her guns with abilities is nice... Though I'm not seeing a lot of internal synergy with the frame itself. Maybe make it so that all enemies under the effects of Chaos are forced to target Nyx's bubble?

Personally, I'd prefer if mind control could be cast multiple times on different enemies, maybe 3 or so enemies can be under the effect of mind control at a time.

Or, activating mind control after taking control of an enemy creates an explosion that scales based on the damage the mind controlled target took. So we mind control one guy, fill him with bullets, detonate when he's in a group; and this will allow us to get a new mind controlled target whenever we want instead of waiting for the current target to die.

8 minutes ago, AndouRaiton said:

Personally, I'd prefer if mind control could be cast multiple times on different enemies, maybe 3 or so enemies can be under the effect of mind control at a time.

Or, activating mind control after taking control of an enemy creates an explosion that scales based on the damage the mind controlled target took. So we mind control one guy, fill him with bullets, detonate when he's in a group; and this will allow us to get a new mind controlled target whenever we want instead of waiting for the current target to die.

You know you can just recast mind control right? And depending on how much damage you can actually give to the minion it might be OP to have even just 2 of them, especially with Mind Freak. Some mind controlled units already do absurd damage if you build for it.

Regarding the change to the passive: isn't it better to take away their weapons completely so they can't shoot at you at all? Unless the accuracy debuff is significant(which I highly doubt), this sounds like it could be worse.

I might be one of few people who like the current passive as it encourages enemies to bunch up for easier killing. It increases the value of things like punch through and AoE weapons a bit.

In a perfect world we could test out both to see which is better.

45 minutes ago, ArcKnight9202 said:

Regarding the change to the passive: isn't it better to take away their weapons completely so they can't shoot at you at all? Unless the accuracy debuff is significant(which I highly doubt), this sounds like it could be worse.

I might be one of few people who like the current passive as it encourages enemies to bunch up for easier killing. It increases the value of things like punch through and AoE weapons a bit.

In a perfect world we could test out both to see which is better.

Although not specifically mention I believe the accuracy buff is an area of effect and wouldn't require abilities to hit the target like the disarm does. The conditions of it will be important though.

As someone who mains nyx, I rather like most of the changes DE suggested for her. Having the mind controlled enemys damage scale with the amount of damage they take is a great idea, and gives it more usability, I hardly use it outside of a few situations where I need aggro relief, or want an ancient for the damage reduction. What there suggesting for her new 3 is basically what I suggested in a previous forum post, stripping grineer armor, slowing infested, and doing something to corpus gives her much more useability at higher levels. Yeah corrosive projection is a thing, but since nyx can be energy hungry, most of the time its more beneficial to use energy siphon along with zenurik. Chaos is fine as is and doesnt need any changes really, the only gripe i had was fixed during the post mainline hotfixes, her 4 without the augment is pretty trash though. Changing the math really isnt going to do anything, it doesnt do enough damage as is, even if youve absorbed insane amounts, they would need to significantly buff the damage for me to stop using the augment. Her new passive is also good, because for if some reason you want to do an absorb build, you want enemies to shoot you to build up her damage, her current passive causing enemies to disarm while nice, restricts her build variety. All in all, if they rework her with the current ideas, and that dope deluxe skin I would be a happy camper, would it make more people play nyx? Doubt it, but it would give more QoL to people who do play her, like me

I want absorb to be multiple orbs surrounding nyx that absorb damage and redirect damage with no movement penalty.

Change the augment to allow it to be duration based or something.

Her 1 should charge an enemy with blast dmg after which they suicide bomb the closest enemy.

Edited by (PS4)big_eviljak

Or just change absorb so it has the augment by default, and give her a new augment for it that further increases her movement speed, or when she casts absorb it also applies to teammates, but they dont have the movement penalty. For the most part the movement loss is an inconvenience, as you can just switch to your operator to move around to mobs while absorb is active

11 hours ago, Vanilla_nuka said:

Or just change absorb so it has the augment by default, and give her a new augment for it that further increases her movement speed, or when she casts absorb it also applies to teammates, but they dont have the movement penalty. For the most part the movement loss is an inconvenience, as you can just switch to your operator to move around to mobs while absorb is active

After the introduction of Rev and now Garuda, there is really no reason for Nyx' 4 to be stationary by default, true...

13 minutes ago, Vanilla_nuka said:

Yeah my point exactly, not only that, I once tested it and self absorbed over 50k damage, it barely tickled level 50 enemies, the default version is so bad and not really worthy of an ultimate. You shouldnt need an augment to make a skill useable 

Ture... it might have been ok once, and I think the longtime Nyx users don't wanna see it, but it really no longer is. Then again, I doubt anything outside an actual rework will make her viable for the "masses" ever again, not with DE introducing one frame after the other that are more powerful and easier to use...

So: Make mind control minions last longer and do sentinel, or even Equinox Duality, levels of damage without a meaningless - and plagiarized - "power up" gimmick, make bolts do some lasting effect on the field (a contagious accuracy debuff, or sumsuch) and let her move during Assimilate by default.

That is, if DE want to actually make her viable again for most players, and not just polish her up to sell her second deluxe skin...

...just playing devil's advocate here, by the way, since I still play her today, and I will buy the new skin, since the design is drop dead gorgeous. 😉

Yeah the mass majority of players wont play her unless they make her insanely strong, she doesnt need to be as powerful as the new frames, but she should still have 4 useable skills that can contribute to the team. The mind control minions should follow nyx by default, instead of just wandering around the map drawing aggro, and should actually make the enemies do an amount of damage that is actually noticeable, which is what im hoping there doing during the rework, since they said they want the mind controlled enemy to be a walking tank. Psychic bolts as is does have a lasting effect, they can proc radiation and slash dots on enemies, but 1) Its not consistent 2) Does no damage and 3) its redundant since her 3 accomplishes the same goal but does it better. Shes a viable CC and tank frame as she currently is, but she needs alot of love to bring her up to par with other frames who do the same things but better. I will definitely be buying the deluxe skin as well, and agree its a gorgeous skin, but DE please dont pull a Vauban on the few remaining Nyx mains