Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Gear Wheel

Mooncalled

It's been a great Saturday, the wife is out running errands and it's just you, the two kids and Warframe.  You decide to take a break and feed the kids.  You take a quick glance at the alerts and see you have 35 minutes left on a Catalyst alert.  Plenty of time to feed the ankle biters and get back to the alert.

You grab your trusty cast iron skillet and announce loudly for the kids that you'll be making grilled cheese sammiches for lunch.  You put the skillet on the stove and start the heat low so as not to crack the pan.  Walk to the fridge and grab the bread and butter.  Strange, the butter is in the 3rd shelf inside the door.  Normally it's on the 2nd shelf.  Shrugging you move the box of remaining butter up and grab the cheese, which is normally on the left, but today it's on the right inside the bottom fridge drawer.

With your ingredients in hand you go the kitchen island, get your cutting board from underneath and a knife & cheese grader from the drawer you begin your prep.  Turn around and increase the heat to medium for the skillet.  Cut a slab of butter into the skillet and enjoy the sound of melting butter on hot iron.  Grab a slice of bread and dredge it in the melted butter, pull it out of the skillet and set aside, grab a a three finger full of shredded cheddar and spread it in the skillet, slap the other slice of bread on top.

Knowing it's too late to change course you ask anyways, "Hey, girls? You want bologna on your sammiches?"  Hearing a simultaneous yes, no chorus you opt for the later and get back to work.

The cheese is melting rapidly into the bread, you place a generous handful of cheddar onto the bread in the pan, swiftly grab the previously dredged slice and place it on top.  Timing is of the essence here, you need to get some pressure on that bread to fully infuse the sammich with cheesy goodness.  You blindly pull open the drawer to your left of the stove and instinctively grab for the spatula but it isn't there.  Frantically your search with your eyes.  No!  WTF!!!???  Vulgar words explode out of your mouth, echoing back from the back splash, startling the dog and cat patiently waiting for scraps.

You start to jerk open drawers around the kitchen as the sammich starts to smolder, you can smell disaster starting to unfold.  Finally you locate the spatula in the drawer next to the knives.  What in the actual f(_)(k is the spatula doing in the same drawer as the f(_)(king oven mitts?!

Desperately you grab the spatula and lunge towards the stove, but it's too late.  The smoke from the charred remains of the sammich has already set off the smoke detector and the cries of you two little girls will haunt your dreams forever.

This is the new Gear Wheel experience, Tenno.

Please fix it.  

my god, i was so invested in this i forgot what the actual topic was.

although i can't really say much about the new gear wheel since i haven't had any issues with it.(everything i need are on 3 keybindings) 
if it's really that bad then i suppose it does need some fixing. IMO i think it needs to stand out more, it's sorta transparent and hard to see in the heat of battle.

The new gear wheel is yet another perfect example of a great idea and half-assed implementation.

12 bindable slots in the front and truckload of space in a back. its brilliant! Now you can always carry around you ancients and shield drones, and not waste a bindable slot for those emergency lazy ass ciphers.

BUT... Let's be hones here DE, has anyone of you actually used that wheel apart from open > *game does not crash* > yup it works!

So i wanna move my ciphers to the slots in the back, so i remove it and do i get a free slot? NO! everything behind the cipher shifts back. Now i am runnig around the Plains trying to scan enemies with a fishing spear, lasering the fish with my nosam cutter and asking my fellow ancient healer if he could mine that pyrol for me... It's madness.

Ok so empty slots in the first 12 are seemingly no no. So what happens when i have say 6 gear item in first 6 slots and put something in the 12th slot? Well slots 7 to 11 are empty! SO WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! Oh wait. now the infinite slots have disapeared....

Guys, pls have a look at it. Thank you!

P.S.: Placing a codex scanner in, while it already in a gear wheel moves it to new slot, but nosam cutter props a message its already there and it can't be added... why?

Edited by sauCEPan

1 hour ago, sauCEPan said:

BUT... Lets be hones here DE, has anyone of you actually used that wheel apart from open > *game does not crash* > yup it works!

So i wanna move my ciphers to the slots in the bag, so i remove it and do i get a free slot? NO! everything behind the cipher shifts back. Now i am runnig around the Plains trying to scan enemies with a fishing spear, lasering the fish with my nstam cutter and asking my fellow ancient healer if he could mine that pyrol for me... It's madness.

Ok so empty slots in the first 12 are seemingly no no. So what happens when i have say 6 gear item in first 6 slots and put something in the 12th slot? Well slots 7 to 11 are empty! SO WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! Oh wait. now the infinite slots have disapeared....

Guys, pls have a look at it. Tank you!

P.S.: Placing a codex scanner in, while it already in a gear wheel moves it to new slot, but nosam cutter props a message its already there and it can't be added... why?

EXACTLY!

This is the dumbest thing ever.

So with the infinite gear wheel, IF I want to ensure that everything stays in the slot I key mapped it to, I actually LOST a slot. Now I need to keep 12 empty, to ensure that IF I happen to run out of something in a slot ahead of 12, everything else doesn't shift forward

I get lost in the new gear wheel. I like the design but I wish each time I opened it, it would begin from the first slot instead of where I left off; it's like looking at the gear wheel upside down. I can still find the gear I need but it takes me a good 4-5 seconds to find it and I have died while looking for my health restores.

I'm here now because I'm having to do a second step to get (back) into emotes, and get my ass off the extraction zone, because there's a somachord scan there and I'm desperately hitting tab, to get the emote menu, to find the dance I was doing and...

1. Why can't you just fit the two on the same screen like before
  2. (semi-unrelated) Why can't I just move out of an emote, instead of being locked into one. 
Edited by TotemSP2

The new gear wheel feels bad, but the emotes is whats truly bothering me here.

1. Emotes are clearly slower and more complicated to access AND to cancel, because we still have to reselect the emote, in order to cancel it
  2. The "Tenno-Symbols" that represent emotes are not helpful at all and I have to hover over each one to see what it even is, while the previous text form was instantly recognizable.
  3. The gear wheel keeps messing up my entire equipment, if I want to remove or replace even a single entry from it.

Being able to have multiple equip wheels might be handy for some players, but literally ALL of my friends and the people that I've talked with about this topic in-game have never needed more slots and are still not even using a second wheel. There is nothing beneficial about the new equipment/emote system for me personally, harsh but true.

My suggestion is to revert (or give the option to revert) the update in terms of UI, but keeping multiple gear wheels/emote columns. Instead of cycling your mouse to switch wheels, which is both slow and unprecise to use, let us use [Tab]/RMB (or whatever easily accessible key) to cycle through the stuff.

This being said, I love the fact the DE is listening to their playerbase and even implementing changes like this in the first place, dont get me wrong. I just think that it happens to hurt more players than it benefited in this case, at least with the current form of implementation.

Dah-dap and sho-lah tenno