Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dojo Competition reactions

Eisdschungel

First of all, thanks to DE for hosting a dojo competition and congratiolations to the winners and all the awesome dojo builders out there.

However, there was one issue i personally felt with the competition. The time the judges took to find out who the winner is. 6H after the thread was closed, the winners were announced on prime time. 6H to determine the best dojos in over 30 pages of submissions with over 36h of video material alone (this number is estimated based on the 1084 min i counted on the first 16 pages, including all every viedo sharing platform that was used save for a twitch video that did not load and the Quasars Prime Time video). And thats not even including the entries that only contained of pictures. It is (for me at least) pretty hard to understand how that amount of informations could be processed in such a small time, let alone taking the time needed to compare different dojos to one another which might include rewatching some of the entries

Also, the wording in the winner announcement seems to indicate that only Helen acted as a judge („ I appreciate“ not we). This is also slightly problematic in a contest „based on creativity and quiality“ since opinions on this topics can differ. This is made even more important, since we got no reasons behind why certain dojos where choose and what the perticular details where that made them rise above the rest.

All in all, the competition feels like a slap in the face of the people, that spent months and years perfectionating their dojos and i personally will from now on think twice before entering another of DEs contests

P.S.: The observatorys lighting is still not fixed.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)Hyperion Rexx said:

I suppose they could have been working on it as it went along 

That would be my guess too.

If it were me, I wouldn't be waiting around for a lump 36 hour marathon at the end.

I'd be filtering the top three as the comp went on.

Edited by MillbrookWest

20 minutes ago, TommyBlue7 said:

Ajin not winning first for Ghost is insane, there's no way around it. I just wonder about that judging process, I call shenanigans.

Art is subjective. Competition that involves the judgement of art will always be controversial given the nature of how art is seen by people. This is why I am one of those players who loves leaderboard events as the competition is objective with numbers on a board.

I would definetly handle this different and more transparent.

Tell us why certain dojos were chosen, maybe add some "honourable mentions" for some nice things of dojos that didnt make it into the top 3.

The way they ended this it just feels like they dont really care at all. I mean, they didnt even post some links next to the winners, so, if anyone wants to see what the winning dojos are, he has to look through the 33 pages to find them (i know there is a search function, i wanted to make a post with all the winning dojos where i added the links, but i stopped when i wasnt even done with the first places because it took too long and i didnt felt like that was my job). That would have shown some appreciation.

That is the only thing i would "complain" about, because while i certainly do not agree with some winners (in my category for example i expected to lose against 3 dojos which had great, and most importantly unique ideas that have been executed really well, but those didnt even appear in the Top3 while a dojo that had 2 or 3 nice sculptures but looked really trashy besides that made it into top3), a few sentences by the ones who picked the winners would have helped me to understand their decision. I know its always subjective, but if you write a few words i can maybe understand the decision or even see things i didnt notice before and appreciate the dojo i didnt like at first more.

Edited by DreisterDino

5 hours ago, Eisdschungel said:

P.S.: The observatorys lighting is still not fixed.

#1 demotivator for me. 

5 hours ago, (XB1)Hyperion Rexx said:

I suppose they could have been working on it as it went along 

problem with that is a LOT of people edited their entries to include work they completed during the competition and after their initial post.

Hell, I've seen on at least of one of the winners that they edited their post mere hours before the competition ended.

Someone mentioned elsewhere that the next one should be limited to 3 screenshots each of every competitor dojo's 2 best rooms to allow for the judge(s) to comb through them faster and more efficiently, but I disagree with this sentiment for a number of reasons. Not every major piece of work can be captured in 3 screen shots, since many hall sized rooms can be compartmentalized into sections. The idea of limiting it to screenshots in itself is a very bad idea because of the new effects. I know at least 2 people who managed to create masterpieces involving a lot of the new effects and submitted them to the competition, but screenshots do NOT do them justice. Short animated gifs would help.

I feel this competition was mishandled from the get go. 1 winner per clan tier doesn't make much sense, as typically speaking there's only 1 real decorator per clan reguardless of size, with the occasional exception having 2 real decorators. While funding may sometimes be harder for bigger clans to get, they also have more people to fund (and to help decorate, but from what I've seen there's no real exception to the 1-2 real decorators rule), and lack of funds doesn't necessarily stop someone from decorating (though I admit it can be a huge demotivator). 
It should just be the best 5 dojos, the 2nd best 5 dojos, and 3rd best 5 dojos, etc.

Secondly, the prize is awful, unless the trophy that comes with it happens to be amazing. Plat for rushing decorations doesn't really help. enough resources to fund, say at first place 5,000 decorations and making sure they were split relatively evenly between the different types of costs, would have been much, much better.

I also feel there was minimal feedback to questions asked during the competition about the competition. 

Thirdly I feel this competition is simply far too much work for DE to handle as it is now. Doing it this way again would be improper and unfair, and I don't see such a massive competition happening more than twice a year.

I'd much rather there be a "get your dojo featured" thread open year round, that people could simply post their dojo to, and DE could sift through them whenever they get some time, choose the ones they think are worthy of being displayed, put them on a list, and put them on a cycle. 5 displayed at once, change the 5 on display every 2 weeks. Don't categorize them by clan size since I'm pretty sure there are far more ghost and shadow clans with a lot of decorations than the highest tier clans so you'd run out of moon clans of quality decoration to cycle through long before ghost clans, and just do it by simply those who are worthy. Keep all other prizes out of it.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Sannleikur:

problem with that is a LOT of people edited their entries to include work they completed during the competition and after their initial post.

Well, their own fault then...

There was a rule: " Do not reserve spots in this thread"

Thats pretty much what they were doing if they made a post although they knew they would be building more stuff.

I even saw 1 guy posting his dojo 3 or more times and editing his previous posts so its not against the rules...

well obviously thats not what the rule wanted to achieve aswell, but i guess he really needed some attention.

I waited with my post until everything i wanted to show was finished.

6 minutes ago, DreisterDino said:

Well, their own fault then...

There was a rule: " Do not reserve spots in this thread"

Thats pretty much what they were doing if they made a post although they knew they would be building more stuff.

It's nowhere near the same, and since people who edited their posts to include work they finished during the competition didn't get disqualified, as some people who did so won,it wasn't considered breaking the rules. I asked first day of the competition if it was or not just to be sure, and never got a response, nor did Helen ever address it with an edit to her post.

Edited by Sannleikur

vor 1 Minute schrieb Sannleikur:

It's nowhere near the same, and since people who edited their posts to include work they finished during the competition didn't get disqualified, as some people who did so won,it wasn't considered breaking the rules. I asked first day of the competition if it was or not just to be sure, and never got a response, nor did Helen every address it with an edit to her post.

Well, as you say yourself, communication wasnt the best..but imo there should be only one interpretation of "do not reserve spots in this thread".

And that interpretation is "Only make a post when everything is finished and do not edit it later to add something".

Nobody might have been disqualified, but still, it doesnt make a difference then if you make a post with no images at all and edit later, or 5 or 20 or one video and no images or whatever, because you are posting something unfinished so you dont get lost somewhere in the middle of the whole mess the thread has become ^^

PS: I dont want anybody to get disqualified now, i think the one thing they wanted to not happen is that in the first hour they get 100 posts with people posting nothing at all.

But if you would be serious about this rule, everybody should only be able to make 1 post and dont edit it.

I have no complaints about the winners, but I agree that some explanation of what they liked about those dojos would have been nice. Even after searching for some of the winning entries (also agree that linking their posts would have been helpful), I don't feel like we know what makes a "good" dojo for next time, whenever that happens to be. On that alone, I don't know yet whether I'd want to enter again when this resurfaces.

Honestly the biggest demotivator for me was looking at my imgur albums yesterday and still seeing "0 views" on a couple of them, but I'm not sure if that means my style put off the judge early or if imgur is just trash at tracking views, haha.