Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrows, Kavats and Sentinels: Altering, Augmenting, and Enhancing

DrBorris

With a band-aid uni-vac (finally) on the way, it is about time to give the sets of companions something to define them, some overarching philosophy for their roles and something to rework them (mostly Kubrows) around.

Here is my proposition:

• Sentinels: Enhance the gameplay you already have, leaving little effect on your moment-to-moment decisions.
  • Kavats: Augment portions of your gameplay and kit, taking something you do and dialing it up a few notches.
  • Kubrows: Alter how you play, they create new synergies and cater builds as well as gameplay to be made around their precepts.

For the most part, Sentinels and Kavats fit into those niches quite well. Sentinels just kinda exist, but often give meaningful enhancements that are worth bringing them along. Only Sentinel that needs an overhaul would be Dethcube, its base precept is just… bad. Other than that there just needs to be variants made for the variant-less Sentinels for the boosted survivability stats (or maybe just, ya know, buff the base).

And Kavats definitely do double down on something, be that Adarza giving consistent crits or Smeeta doubling down on… something. How you play moment to moment does not change much, but it does give some quite impactful boosts to a single trait at a time.

Kubrows though, oh boy Kubrows. For the most part Kubrows feel like just another version of Sentinels, with one part of their kit being better than a Sentinel counterpart but with a whole host of other downsides. I’ll just give some examples on how Kubrows can make new gameplay.

• Huras: Stalk will make you invisible periodically as it does now, but in addition invisibility will be instantly given if you perform a finisher. Then rework Hunt to be a grab that opens up an enemy to finishers. So basically, if you play around these precepts, you can have on-demand invisibility and act as an assassin of sorts.
  • Raksa: Have Raksa Kubrows be shifted more towards keeping you alive. Howl reduces enemy accuracy by 50%(ish). Then have Protect give 70% DR to shields for a few seconds after they are restored as well as allow over-shields to be applied.
  • Etcetera…

Side note for Helminth: Just have him be the DPS companion (is already leaning this way). The one that does its own thing and can consistently pull its own weight in the damage department.

I guess this turned into more of a Kubrow Rework thread, but the overall point of giving consistent roles for each of the companion types is still an important part if it all. If anyone has other ideas on how to rework some of the other Kubrow breeds I’d definitely throw them up in the OP, collaboration is always nice.

I don't think I can properly give feedback on this due to the unknown, but possible wrench of a truck that Moas are going to be (likely outclassing companions, in general) with the exception of hunter recovery, Smeeta loots, and crit-astic ardaza beauty. Really need to re-watch the DevStream, was on a road trip and half asleep lol.

11 hours ago, Synpai said:

I don't think I can properly give feedback on this due to the unknown, but possible wrench of a truck that Moas are going to be (likely outclassing companions, in general) with the exception of hunter recovery, Smeeta loots, and crit-astic ardaza beauty. Really need to re-watch the DevStream, was on a road trip and half asleep lol.

From what we saw MOAs seem to give extreme utility. They set the stage for you to act with your tools. However, given that MOAs will likely have access to all of the Sentinel mods, they will probably outshine them outside a few niche cases.

But honestly, even if MOAs are "better Sentinels" I will still sometimes want Carrier for ammo, still want Helios to scan, still like the 'simple' response to a problem Wyrm gives. Sometimes you want simplicity, and that is where Sentinels excel. You don't have to worry about your MOAs AI to stun or whatever, you can pretty easily predict what your Sentinel is doing at all times.

6 hours ago, DrBorris said:

From what we saw MOAs seem to give extreme utility. They set the stage for you to act with your tools. However, given that MOAs will likely have access to all of the Sentinel mods, they will probably outshine them outside a few niche cases.

But honestly, even if MOAs are "better Sentinels" I will still sometimes want Carrier for ammo, still want Helios to scan, still like the 'simple' response to a problem Wyrm gives. Sometimes you want simplicity, and that is where Sentinels excel. You don't have to worry about your MOAs AI to stun or whatever, you can pretty easily predict what your Sentinel is doing at all times.

You're right, the AI-pocalypse can be avoided with Sentinels

Now that everything can hoover the next thing I would love addressed would be adding a single Elemental type of damage to our Cat/Dog,  they dont have the option and I wanna see my cat do fire or lightning or frost or toxic damage.

--------------------------------------------------

About the specific issue you raise of making them all unique and different....  I think when it comes to companions it should just be about visual appeal.  Every companion should have 8 slots and the same stats.   The only reason you choose one over another is because of the way it looks.  How you choose to modify your companion is your chance at making them different.   For example I want nothing more than to use my Wyrm Prime but I can not. I have to use my cat because I want extra loot and affinity and it heals me better than a sentinel and I can heal it unlike a sentinel.   So my choice has been taken away from me and I have to use something I dont want to use just so I can get benefits I do want.  Thats a crappy way of doing things.

--------------------------------------------------

PS:  Death to MOA's!!!!   I want Roller drones ASAP.