Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About karma system

_Euphoria_

Are the choices we made in cinematic quests ever going to effect anything? In my opinion they should at least have an effect on The New War quest. It doesn't need to have a huge impact on the outcome, but seeing the operator act according to previous choices would be cool to show us that the operator isn't all good or bad but just the person who we made him/her to be. Otherwise what would bethe point of implementing a karma system?

(Sorry for mistakes, english isn't my native)

Well I recall in one dev stream, Steve was asked about it and they said they kinda forgot about its implication.

ok, it's from Dev stream 104 wiki: Those of you who have completed Warframe’s main quest line should be familiar with the morality system, and the lack of content relating to it following its inclusion into the game. Steve spoke about it briefly and explained that we simply got distracted and haven’t implemented it as much as we would have liked. In its current form, we think that it can be improved to be more immediate (relating to the players in-the-moment experience) and have consequences.

33 minutes ago, hellodownthere said:

might mean something in The New War quest that's coming as it seems that it's the end of the current story.

Not quite. That was Sacrifice, the end of the 'trilogy'. So I'm guessing that was a sort of 'first act' trilogy. In which case, New War will probably act more as a beginning to the rest of the story than an ending to the current questions set up. That said, a beginning's as good a time as any to introduce the consequences of these choices, thematically, since that means there's more story to be written around them.

Traditionally speaking moral choice systems have always fallen apart. I mean just look at The Walking Dead games, essentially no choice you make in those is actually relevant save for the last two or three in the last 10min of the game. If a character is supposed to leave or die, they are going to leave or die regardless of your decisions. The first two games also essentially pitted you up against an antagonist for whom your choices where completely irrelevant they hated you regardless. Didn't matter if you made "the right" choice or the "wrong choice" they just rationalized their hatred accordingly. 

Why was that? Because while they are great on paper the amount of work required to make meaningful changes to the script/events based on your choices is staggering. The result being that the resulting differences from your choices are never the waves you are promised but mere surface ripples. 

That is what I'm expecting from the current moral choice system, surface ripples. Nothing we do is going to significantly change the outcome of the game. 

Now I know a lot of people are really jonesing for cosmetics based on their choices but that also kinda falls flat. Because while they would be "cool" you can guarantee two things are going to happen as a result. You're going to have people who are angry that the cosmetic they like was "SURPRISE~" on the other side of the moral choice spectrum. You are also going to have people from that point forward who completely ignore the implications of the moral choices and simply select the options to get the cosmetic that they want. 

And at that point, what was the point?