Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] Change "duration" by "alocation" for some skills

peq42

In my opinion, some skills, such as Chroma's 2 and 3, Mirage 2 and 3, etc which have really high duration, low energy cost and are going to be cast all the time anyway could, instead of having duration, alocate a percentage of the warframe's max energy and be active all the time after that(unless you fall or enter a bubble, obviously).

This is a common thing in other games such as Path of Exile, diablo,etc. "Skills"(which are actually buffs/curses, that will be nearly always active) will allocate a % of the mana(most of them 25~50% base, allowing for reduction) when active, instead of having long durations and the need to be cast all the time(which is boring and requires no skill at all, just a constant boring check of the bottom right of the screen).

Edited by elpeleq42

6 hours ago, elpeleq42 said:

which is boring and requires no skill at all

This is a rather bad reason to change something given your solution is to get rid of duration and have it active indefinitely, the epitome of boring and no skill.

Part of the balance is that they do need to be refreshed. In some cases it is allowed during the duration, but in cases like Loki's Invisibility, the timer has to run out.

This idea would come with nerfs, either to Energy pools or to the effectiveness of the ability.

27 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This is a rather bad reason to change something given your solution is to get rid of duration and have it active indefinitely, the epitome of boring and no skill.

Part of the balance is that they do need to be refreshed. In some cases it is allowed during the duration, but in cases like Loki's Invisibility, the timer has to run out.

This idea would come with nerfs, either to Energy pools or to the effectiveness of the ability.

It is a good reason. Chroma's 2 and 3, Mirage's 2 and 3, and maybe Saryn's 3 are basically buffs with high duration, so there's no reason for them to require activation all the time. Just let them on from the beginning at the cost of 50~75% the max energy of the warframe, it would be a fine trade-off for everyone, I believe.

About loki's invisibility: That's why I didn't say ALL skills that are going to be used all the time should be like that. I said SOME. Only those which work as buffs/auras/curses and have long duration and high usage/low cost, such as those I quoted.

I think the key point here is that this isn't other games. The skills are made to be on a duration because it means that you can fail at having them on, you can forget, you can run out of energy, you can get smacked with a Magnetic proc from a flailing Ancient.

And what happens? With Duration abilities, they keep going, and let you recover enough energy in order to keep using them. With 'allocation' abilities, they turn off immediately and you can't use them.

Warframe has a function for doing that, Drain, which comes with its own drawbacks and limitations, and is generally considered to be a nerf to a frame that didn't have it before. Allocation is something that doesn't exist in Warframe, but would have exactly the same drawbacks as Drain, tactically speaking. Regardless of which one you use, the negatives would be the same in general usage, and it would be a nerf to those frames.