Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Genbu samurai frame concept

(XBOX)x EmperorYuji x

Warframe samurai frame (arbiters of hexis frame) (outdated)

So after taking another look at all of the available weapons in warframe there are a good amount that have an Asian origin and a lot are japanese or were atleast used in ancient japan.

Daikyu, hikou and hikou prime, kunai, all of the nikanas, the ninkondi and shaku, okina, bo & bo prime, kama, dual kama,  dual kama prime, boltace, telos boltace, kronen, kronen prime, ohma. We also have the edo armor and edo prime armor. Ash the cyber ninja.

So at this point why not? No Excalibur is a cyber knight if you think about it. wukong is a Chinese god so both of those can be scrapped of the list. Excalibur umbra is also not a samurai its just a variation of Excalibur. Gara was stated by the devs not to be samurai inspired.

So here is my idea on the subject.

The name I have in mind is genbu, genbu is the Japanese names for black turtle from Chinese mythology. No that doesn’t make him Chinese because japan adopted a lot from Chinese culture to writing system.

His abilities should be based around closing distance between him and his opponent and melee combat.

First off his passive would be

More damage with throwing stars/knives.

To which extend this would scale idk I’m not a developer. But it could raise more attention to the throwing starts because they are kinda being overlooked.

First ability

A stunning ability. In Japanese culture there are small rectangular papers that would be used by exorcists. 

Giving you the ability to close the distance between you and your enemy, as for how many he would have and if that would scale with power strength or not I don't know thats up to the developers.

Second ability

Trackless step.

Trackless step lets genbu temporarily move faster and slowing enemies down leaving the enemies confused of genbus location. Which goes hand in hand with his first ability and his third.

Third ability

Mark of the wind.

Mark of the wind would leave “sword”cuts in the air off genbus walk trail, that would be activated by enemies walking in them leaving the enemy with a slash status effect.

Fourth ability

His ultimate would be an exalted weapon. But not just a nikana or dual nikana.

He would get a kanabo. Which is a spiked warclub which is was used in ancient Japanese warfare. It would be a relatively quick and hard hitting weapon.  

For the animations I’m not sure but it should look very clean and neat looking swift moves etc.

With all off these abilities I think that genbu would be a great addition  warframe and strong one. Not necessarily overpowered or broken but if used right a deadly frame.

I also think that he would be an ideal frame for a arbiterors of hexis quest.

That is because hexis seeks truth through trail and discipline.

The quest would involve a high ranking member of hexis having gone rough and you need to stop him or her. Along the way you encounter the “ronin” rough one  multiple times each time learning a bit more about the arbiter lore and they’re way off thinking. Instead off the end being a fight it would be a nice twist to see that the rough one instead off fight or turning himself in to hexis but would commit suicide to die with honor rather than living in shame and waiting for his punishment. Kinda cliché but would fit the samurai theme perfectly.

all of the imagies used in this concept are not mine but i think these look good and could be used or atleast be used as inspiration.

8lcR6KF.png

0EQZ7y4.jpg

Edited by (XB1)YSAMURAISHINOBI
this was the first concept but not very refined.

Here's my feedback:

passive; alright, though it doesn't really benefit the rest of his kit.

1st: a stun is always good. If the number scales with power strength then make it cast like Ash's shurikens; i.e. target  x-amount of enemies in a cone where you are aiming. Also, you may want the stun duration affected by duration mods. Also might want to consider giving it some damage, not a lot, but also give it a guaranteed status proc along with the stun; moth likely gas because of the relation with arbiters

2nd & 3rd: essentially like volt's speed ability but dealing slash and separated into 2 abilites. personally, i would make them one ability and give him another one for his third. Further, the speed and slow of the ability should scale with power strength, but the base speed should be lower than volt's speed; cause you are also slowing enemies.

4th: As it's a spiked warclub, i'm guessing it would come under the hammer weapon category. Might want to give it some special effect, like slam attacks suspend and freeze enemies in the air, similar to rhino's stomp, or give it built in berserker; gain attack speed when critting. Also, may want to state what it's damage is like, i'm assuming either a equal impact and puncture but low slash or an even;y spread IPS.

Potential new 3rd "Truth": a buff that increases Genbus' damage, with any weapon, when dealing damage (maybe change to landing status) to an enemy that the enemy is weak against, i.e. corrosive against ferrite armor. Each hit will add a percentage to the buff (maybe 1% per hit for damage or 5% for landing status), the buff caps at 200% effected by power strength. The buff duration is effected by power duration. Cost is effected by power efficiency. Note; not recastable and the duration at max rank is base 15 seconds (as this would make it busted because at 150 power strength it caps at 300% extra damage to ANY weapon). I feel this would suit the theme of Samuri and Arbiter of Hexis as it rewards players for finding "The Truth" whilst engaging in combat. Remember either on damage or on status, personally i prefer on damage (so it can be used on things that aren't effected by procs like the Eidolons)

Overall, Genbus sounds alright, though still has some things to iron out. But remember, the stats of the abilities will determine if this frame is any good.

Thank you very much for your feedback looking back after what you said I do think that his 2&3 could be combined into one and the potential third. Got me on that gas damage didn't think about that. Plus now I have an idea on how to scale it, in the hope someone from DE sees it and goes interesting

As for his passive I chose to go for the throwing knives/stars because I rarely see someone using them and thought it could be a nice way to motivate people to atleast try them out plus going for another damage buff like excaliburs passive felt a bit unoriginal. 

Now I'll get to work on refining the concept. 

Warframe samurai frame (arbiters of hexis frame)

Now after posting this the first time it was a rough idea and got good feedback and refined the concept.  So after taking another look at all of the available weapons in warframe there are a good amount that have an Asian origin and a lot are japanes. Daikyu, hikou and hikou prime, kunai, all of the nikanas, the ninkondi and shaku, okina, bo & bo prime, kama, dual kama,  dual kama prime, boltave, telos boltace, kronen, kronen prime, ohma. We also have the edo armor and edo prime armor. Ash the cyber ninja.  So at this point why not? No Excalibur is a cyber knight if you think about it. wukong is a Chinese god so both of those can be scrapped of the list. Excalibur umbra is also not a samurai, just a variation of Excalibur. Gara was stated by the devs not to be samurai inspired.

So here is my idea on the subject.  The name I have in mind is genbu, genbu is the Japanese name for the  black turtle from Chinese mythology. No that does not make him Chinese because japan adopted a lot from Chinese culture to writing system.  His abilities should be based around closing distance between him and his opponent and melee combat.

Basic stats.

Armor: 200

Energy: 100        (150 at max rank)

Health: 100         (300 at max rank)

Shield: 75            (215 at max rank)

Sprint Speed:  0,95 

As for default polarities he would have a V in the aura slot to support the usage of Steel Charge.

Passive.

More damage with throwing stars/knives. Genbu would deal 10% extra damage with throwing knives/stars. The reason for this is to bring more attention to throwing knives/stars because they are kind off being overlooked at. Plus the shurikens (hikou) and kunai are Japanese throwing weapons.

First ability: Cleanse

This ability would be a stunning ability. In Japanese culture there are small rectangular papers that would be used by exorcists to cleanse kegare which are uncleanness and defilement. This ability would work a similar to ash blade storm marking system. However you can only mark an enemy once. The duration would of course be affected by duration mods. But it would also do a small amount of damage in the form of a gas status proc. Energy drain is effect by efficiency

Second ability: Mark of the wind.

Mark off the wind would temporarily allow genbu to move faster and slowing enemies down. But in his tracks would leave sword cuts in the air that would leave a slash status proc when a enemy walks through them.  Now since this might sound a bit like volts speed increase it would have to be slower. It would scale with power strength to increase the speed up to a set point. However to balance it out it would also have a duration that would also be affected by duration mods.

Third ability: Truth

Truth is a buff that increases Genbus' damage, with any weapon, when dealing damage (maybe change to landing status) to an enemy that the enemy is weak against, i.e. corrosive against ferrite armor. Each hit will add a percentage to the buff (maybe 1% per hit for damage or 5% for landing status), the buff caps at 200% effected by power strength. The buff duration is effected by power duration. Cost is effected by power efficiency. However it would not be recastable and the duration at max rank is base 15 seconds (as this would make it busted because at 150 power strength it caps at 300% extra damage to ANY weapon).

Fourth ability: Oni rage

His ultimate would be an exalted weapon. But not just a nikana or dual nikana.  He would get a kanabo. Which is he spiked warclub which is was used in ancient Japanese warfare and used by the oni’s in Japanese mythology.  It basically is a spiked warclub so it would most likely fall under hammer weapons. It would like every other exalted melee weapon have its own stance. Its main damage would be in the form of impact and puncture and low on slash damage. Whether it would be crit based or status based I’m not sure but its special affect would be that it would freeze enemy’s in place from fear if they get hit with a slam attack. This would last for 5 seconds, giving you a chance to do another slam attack or get out of a hectic situation.

Keep one thing in mind the stats for the abilities and the frame over all could very well get changed these currently are numbers to give an example. 

With all off these abilities I think that genbu would be a great addition  to the warframe roster and strong one. He could be a great ally for teamplay and a great frame for solo play.

Quest.

His quest would be ideal for a arbiterors of hexis quest. That is because hexis seeks truth through trail and discipline. The quest would involve a high ranking member of hexis having gone rough and you need to stop him or her. Along the way you encounter the “ronin” rough one  multiple times each time learning a bit more about the arbiter lore and they’re way off thinking. The ending would be a bit different from quests we have seen so far, the rough one would commit suicide to die with honor rather than living in shame or facing the punishment awaiting from hexis. It may be cliché but would fit the samurai theme perfectly.

as  for the aesthetic from the frame. Last time i used images I found on google however I wanted to take another approach on it this time. however I only had a vage idea off what I wanted and will describe it. Genbu is the name off a black turtle so off course he would look a bit more reptile like.  Keep in mind I am new to digital drawing and this crappy drawing but wanted just to give an idea of what he would look like. (hey at least I did make a super quick drawing for it and not just someone else art)

genbu_art_work.jpg?width=427&height=427

credit to AndouRaiton for his feedback on the original upload and I am curious to what everyone thinks. Hopefully this gets alot of attention or be brought up to the devs which I doubt to be honest but I can always hope.

Ok, I'm digging this concept. But, well, I'm a bit of a Japan nerd, so that was a given :tongue:.

First off, I'm liking the Kanabo instead of the Sword. It's not a very well-known weapon, so even the fact you're using it over the stereotypical Katana is nice. I love me some Katana, but Excalibur Umbra has swords down already.

To that end, though, whilst I like the concept overall, I have a few problems with it. I'll detail my thoughts on each ability.

Passive: Shuriken are more of a ninjutsu thing, to be honest. I'm pretty sure Samurai would use them, but it wasn't common enough to become associated with them. Instead, how about a passive that give him a boon to melee? Perhaps a passive boost to melee range with bludgeoning weapons, like hammers, staffs and nunhchaku? Similar to Excalibur's, but more befitting this frame's ultimate.

Cleanse isn't all that good for the same reason. Those were the realm of Onmyoji priests, not Samurai. I'm sure that there were some samurai who might have double-dipped for one reason or another, be it trying to switch roles or just a passive interest, but it's not really a part of that culture. Perhaps something involving the Kanabo to open enemies to finishers?

Mark of the Wind... as you say, it sounds like Volt, and Nezha as well. But moreover... if he uses a Kanabo, why's he leaving sword strikes everwhere? I feel like replacing this with an ability that gives a boon to melee weapons specifically would be better off. Perhaps an ability that produces a Hunter Munitions like effect? At base, critical hits have a 30% chance to inflict bleed whilst this buff is active - the chance changes with power strength.

Truth is nice, although I'd change the name since it doesn't really fit with the effect. How about something like 'Attuned Mind', since he's identifying and exploiting his target's weakness, so presumably he's focused. Perhaps make the buff slightly extended when a finisher is used, to synergise with my suggestion for his 1. The idea being that he's specifically exploiting weaknesses he's created using his first ability.

His ult, yeah, this should be a Crit weapon, and probably do more puncture than impact to tread less on Wukong's toes. I'd possibly also change it so that the ability freezes targets when a finisher is performed, opening them for finishers in turn. Giving the weapon custom finishers which are fast and brutal-looking would complement this. It'd probably have to have very short range to balance it a bit though. The idea being that he's a brutally effective warrior who can command the battlefield with his fearsome presence, and exploit even the slightest weakness he sees in his enemies.

I'm also a Japan nerd and appreciate the feedback and agree with some points but here are my reasons to why I chose these. (names need work I know but didn't know what to call them in japanese without making them sound super complicated.)

Passive. shurikens are more of a ninjutsu thing yes but considering the samurai may have used and the low usage off them in the game I thought it would be a good idea and I think it would be different from the ohter melee based characters and ash passives. 

first. while you are correct they do not involve the samurai, they have been in japanese culture and I personally think that it would be a cool ability and considering genbu is focus on melee and closing the gap between him and his opponents I thought it would be a good idea to have a stunning ability. This was my best idea that came to mind without making it like something we had already seen before. 

second. mark of the wind in my mind is a good match because samurai in tales are known as swordsaints and what comes to mind by most people when they hear samurai is katana there for sword cuts plus the speed increase to genbu and decrease to the enemys make it easier for him to get close but if you play against infested they will swarm you so having a way to deal some damage while going for the higher priority targets would not hurt.

third. nothing I can disagree with but this already increases weapon damage and having another ability that would buff his damage would be too much. (the replacer off mark of the wind) I do love the name and extending it with finisher could be very nice and work with his first and support teamplay.

ult. finishers sounds nice but finisher could sometimes be annoying to get and is already seen on the skiajatti therefor I chose a slightly different approach to it. but with finishers it sounds less spammy which I think is good.

If you want we could always brainstorm about potentail changes to improve it because although I do think this would make for a great kit, but it never hurts to have other opnions. and seeing as we both are japan nerds (not ment to insult you) I assume we both want a samurai along side our ninja ash. if you want to talk more about it message me your discord and we can talk there.

Imagine if the passive was around throwing knives. My Hikou Prime would become even more broken.

In the event his passive wouldn't be ideal to focus on a single weapon type (though lets remember Banshee silences weapons) then perhaps additional damage to stunned enemies. Allowing his stun ability to be used more often at higher levels and it's also possible this passive could extend to dealing more damage if a Rhino uses Stomp or a Frost uses Freeze/Avalanche or Snow Globe with the Chilling Globe augment. 

2 hours ago, (XB1)YSAMURAISHINOBI said:

I'm also a Japan nerd and appreciate the feedback and agree with some points but here are my reasons to why I chose these. (names need work I know but didn't know what to call them in japanese without making them sound super complicated.)

Passive. shurikens are more of a ninjutsu thing yes but considering the samurai may have used and the low usage off them in the game I thought it would be a good idea and I think it would be different from the ohter melee based characters and ash passives. 

first. while you are correct they do not involve the samurai, they have been in japanese culture and I personally think that it would be a cool ability and considering genbu is focus on melee and closing the gap between him and his opponents I thought it would be a good idea to have a stunning ability. This was my best idea that came to mind without making it like something we had already seen before. 

second. mark of the wind in my mind is a good match because samurai in tales are known as swordsaints and what comes to mind by most people when they hear samurai is katana there for sword cuts plus the speed increase to genbu and decrease to the enemys make it easier for him to get close but if you play against infested they will swarm you so having a way to deal some damage while going for the higher priority targets would not hurt.

third. nothing I can disagree with but this already increases weapon damage and having another ability that would buff his damage would be too much. (the replacer off mark of the wind) I do love the name and extending it with finisher could be very nice and work with his first and support teamplay.

ult. finishers sounds nice but finisher could sometimes be annoying to get and is already seen on the skiajatti therefor I chose a slightly different approach to it. but with finishers it sounds less spammy which I think is good.

If you want we could always brainstorm about potentail changes to improve it because although I do think this would make for a great kit, but it never hurts to have other opnions. and seeing as we both are japan nerds (not ment to insult you) I assume we both want a samurai along side our ninja ash. if you want to talk more about it message me your discord and we can talk there.

Well, balancing's fine. If you're not fond of my ideas about finishers then, well, yeah. That's a different topic, it's just what I'd do if I were making a samurai frame. But, if you want a 'samurai' themed frame, you should go with samurai, not a hodge-podge of Japanese culture. Diluting the theme just makes the resulting frame less interesting. Look at Khora or Revenant, one who was supposed to be a damage-type swapping frame and had that aspect cut out leaving her feel kind of disconnected and the other who was meant to be a vampire and who got a botched theme change to Eidolon, both halfway through development, and are now generally rather considered 'eh' by the community at large. Stick to the theming, if you can. 

For example, Excalibur. EVERYTHING about his kit is related to swordsmanship or King Arthur's knights. A sword slash, a reference to one of the sword in the stone myths, a radial attack with swords and a magic sword. Or Limbo, who's got a stage magician theme, and none of his powers directly affect other entities by default, instead either affecting the Rift or bringing them into the rift. His 4 is even a Magic Circle, which is the name for one of the leading magician organisations. Theming is important, it's what gives frames coherence and clarity. Stick to one, maybe two connected, themes.

That's why I say not to bring in Ninja-themed or Onmyoji-themed abilities, even though some Samurai might have used or practiced them in the past. It's not a part of the theme. Same reason as to remove the sword slashes from his 2 - he doesn't use a sword in his ability set. That's why you gave him a Kanabo in the first place right? To differentiate him from other Samurai characters whilst still connecting him to Samurai?

12 minutes ago, Almighty_Jado said:

Why do people always assume samurai’s whole schtick was melee thing when they spent most of the time using bows and muskets?

People’ve romanticized Samurai into being Katana wielding angel god warriors.

Guns were actually quite controversial amongst the Samurai. They were mostly seen as dishonourable weapons, although plenty of big names liked them. Oda Nobunaga was quite famous for his love of them, and even Miyamoto Musashi, one of the samurai  that people really like to talk up, admitted pretty plainly that they were better than swords at anything other than sword range. But, yeah, because of that, they were widely used on the battlefield, but much less so for their day-to-day duelling and especially their image.

It was actually Ninja, appropriately enough for this game, who really picked up gun. After their role as the go-to espionage agents of the time period died out with the Sengoku Jidai, the Iga clan (who were loyal to Tokugawa Ieyasu, the Emperor by that time) became a part of his Imperial guard, primarily using guns, and even designing their headquarters and anywhere they were in charge of defending specifically around making it as advantageous as possible to use guns. The Hyakuningumi. 

Besides, this is Warframe, where pretty much everything based on something is based on the romanticised version of it. Ninja, Poison, Antimatter...

3 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

My only question is, are you going to make a new thread every time you want to change something in this concept?

You know, there is this handy little "edit" button on the bottom of every post.

Concepts evolve and change over time. Using the same posts that at some point no one reads anymore is useless at that point. 

9 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Well, balancing's fine. If you're not fond of my ideas about finishers then, well, yeah. That's a different topic, it's just what I'd do if I were making a samurai frame. But, if you want a 'samurai' themed frame, you should go with samurai, not a hodge-podge of Japanese culture. Diluting the theme just makes the resulting frame less interesting. Look at Khora or Revenant, one who was supposed to be a damage-type swapping frame and had that aspect cut out leaving her feel kind of disconnected and the other who was meant to be a vampire and who got a botched theme change to Eidolon, both halfway through development, and are now generally rather considered 'eh' by the community at large. Stick to the theming, if you can. 

For example, Excalibur. EVERYTHING about his kit is related to swordsmanship or King Arthur's knights. A sword slash, a reference to one of the sword in the stone myths, a radial attack with swords and a magic sword. Or Limbo, who's got a stage magician theme, and none of his powers directly affect other entities by default, instead either affecting the Rift or bringing them into the rift. His 4 is even a Magic Circle, which is the name for one of the leading magician organisations. Theming is important, it's what gives frames coherence and clarity. Stick to one, maybe two connected, themes.

That's why I say not to bring in Ninja-themed or Onmyoji-themed abilities, even though some Samurai might have used or practiced them in the past. It's not a part of the theme. Same reason as to remove the sword slashes from his 2 - he doesn't use a sword in his ability set. That's why you gave him a Kanabo in the first place right? To differentiate him from other Samurai characters whilst still connecting him to Samurai?

Guns were actually quite controversial amongst the Samurai. They were mostly seen as dishonourable weapons, although plenty of big names liked them. Oda Nobunaga was quite famous for his love of them, and even Miyamoto Musashi, one of the samurai  that people really like to talk up, admitted pretty plainly that they were better than swords at anything other than sword range. But, yeah, because of that, they were widely used on the battlefield, but much less so for their day-to-day duelling and especially their image.

It was actually Ninja, appropriately enough for this game, who really picked up gun. After their role as the go-to espionage agents of the time period died out with the Sengoku Jidai, the Iga clan (who were loyal to Tokugawa Ieyasu, the Emperor by that time) became a part of his Imperial guard, primarily using guns, and even designing their headquarters and anywhere they were in charge of defending specifically around making it as advantageous as possible to use guns. The Hyakuningumi. 

Besides, this is Warframe, where pretty much everything based on something is based on the romanticised version of it. Ninja, Poison, Antimatter...

Geees I just gave my reasoning don't have to force your opinion. 

23 minutes ago, (XB1)YSAMURAISHINOBI said:

Concepts evolve and change over time. Using the same posts that at some point no one reads anymore is useless at that point. 

Geees I just gave my reasoning don't have to force your opinion. 

I also gave my reasoning. The last two frames have been severely affected by this theme-breaking, so that's why that's the main crux of my argument. I don't mind what abilities you give him to better match the theme, you seem to be pretty aware of what would make him good, so the main source of feedback was for the main problem I saw with the frame.

1 hour ago, (XB1)YSAMURAISHINOBI said:

Threads that have more views and more responses generate more traffic, you are effectively killing your chances of being seen. But whatever, be my guest.

There is nothing wrong with editing the original post and responding to your own thread with "I updated things" to bump it (as long as you have actually added something).

Making a new thread for the same thing is spamming. Not an opinion, fact.

3 hours ago, HugintheCrow said:

Threads that have more views and more responses generate more traffic, you are effectively killing your chances of being seen. But whatever, be my guest.

There is nothing wrong with editing the original post and responding to your own thread with "I updated things" to bump it (as long as you have actually added something).

Making a new thread for the same thing is spamming. Not an opinion, fact.

I can agree from experience that editing your thread does in fact increase your traffic. Also, making a new thread everytime also tbh kinda makes you look like an a**hole, although I', sure you're actually a swell guy.

3 hours ago, Almighty_Jado said:

I can agree from experience that editing your thread does in fact increase your traffic. Also, making a new thread everytime also tbh kinda makes you look like an a**hole, although I', sure you're actually a swell guy.

Well atleast you are nicer about it and to be honest I rarely spend time on forums but I thought this was the best way to get attention to it in the hope the devs would notice it but that is doubtfull but I'll keep it in mind for the future.