Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aerial Butterfly - A simple change that would make Aerial Melee combat better

Dante

What if after you hit an enemy, you could do a bulletjump that would cancel the rest of the melee animation, so you could potentially stay airborne as long as you keep hitting an enemy with melee?

This would allow you to stay airborne when melee fighting such enemies as The Raptor (Corpus Drone Boss), or Eidolons (breaking his parts using the Paracesis, this trick would also make climbing on top of them much easier), and chase them during a fight if they decide to fly / walk away.

Right now there is still no melee 3.0, so after each melee swing there is a one second delay before any other melee action. With what devs have shown on a devstream showcasing Melee 3.0, this delay has now been removed, enabling players to do much frequent series of attacks while in air (as shown in Devstream 114) :

IMO this would greatly tie in with what i suggested, providing perfect aerial mobility. The only problem i see is the way they might implement it. I believe this must not be a a mod / augment / arcane. if they implement this trick, imo it should be a feature available by everyone immediately, and not locked behind a long farming time and a mod slot. (But if it's a mod, better be an exilus mod)

And yeah, i know that aerial melee isn't used by a lot of players, so this change will be a nice Quality Of Life change for those who do, and maybe encourage others to use it more (especially on flying targets).

TL;DR: Hitting an enemy with an aerial melee attack would refresh your bulletjump and doublejump, so you can do them again once (which you can repeat until the enemy is dead). Being able to cancel an aerial melee attack with either bulletjump or double jump would also be very welcome.

Leave your thoughts down below

Edited by Dante102
fixin lil typos, formatting.

32 minutes ago, Dante102 said:

What if after you hit an enemy, you could do a bulletjump

That wouldnt work...because bullet jump will carry you away from target.     Unless you mean "double jump" ....But it will still be very wonky. Remember that camera direction can trigger "slam" attack.  So you cant aim "air melee" downwards.

IMO, Air melee should "Stick" to target like Archwing melee does, but for a limited time.  Otherwise it will be useless.  Raptor and other airborne enemies usually fly away when you come closer. So its nearly impossible to hit those reliably. 

This "targeting" mechanic should also prioritise "weakspots" instead of body center.  So that players could hit Hek's face and even Synovia.

I hope They will consider these issues while developing Melee 3.0.  

1 hour ago, Kainosh said:

That wouldnt work...because bullet jump will carry you away from target.     Unless you mean "double jump" ....But it will still be very wonky. Remember that camera direction can trigger "slam" attack.  So you cant aim "air melee" downwards.

IMO, Air melee should "Stick" to target like Archwing melee does, but for a limited time.  Otherwise it will be useless.  Raptor and other airborne enemies usually fly away when you come closer. So its nearly impossible to hit those reliably. 

This "targeting" mechanic should also prioritise "weakspots" instead of body center.  So that players could hit Hek's face and even Synovia.

I hope They will consider these issues while developing Melee 3.0.  

If you hit your enemy after a bulletjump, you can do another bulletjump straight at him. Jumping from side to side while air meleeing an enemy would look sick. And this would work because i did it before on Raptor. Though it was much slower (at least 3-4 times slower) and was much harder to do, because in order to make another bulletjump you have to pretty much do an air step off an enemy (either collide with him while doing a slide in the air, or do a wall run off of him, or just straight land on top of him)(for some reason, neither of this works on Raptor anymore, just checked). That's why i suggested this - in order to simplify it so more people are capable of doing this.

As for slam, currently there is only a walkaround. (Pretty much Press E while looking straight, then look down)

Edited by Dante102

49 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

That wouldnt work...because bullet jump will carry you away from target. 

In other words, that's the idea. As it's been shown on the devstream, you will be able to do some good combos in the air, but considering what you said, even that wouldn't work, because after a bullet jump you will be carried away from your target and in the end you'll hit him only once and then just fall down (unless you stop right below the flying enemy and bulletjump straight upwards, like on the Devstream video i linked above). My suggestion lets you recover after you are carried away, by giving you an opportunity to resume the melee combo without dropping on the ground.

Edited by Dante102

5 hours ago, Dante102 said:

If you hit your enemy after a bulletjump, you can do another bulletjump straight at him

I understand what you mean, but this will not work.  Really.   Trust me i know what im talking about. 

After each strike, you will have to rotate camera almost 180 degree, bullet jump towards your target again, and then press melee button right in time to strike it.   

Too much camera (aiming) work.  Even in that video its all chaotic, and targets are not clearly visible. 

even that wouldn't work, because after a bullet jump you will be carried away from your target and in the end you'll hit him only once and then just fall down

Exept....What i was talking about doesn't even need bullet jumps to work.   Did you even read what i wrote?

I will try to explain in a very simple way :

Jump up > Aim at enemy > Press melee button > Your character dashes towards enemy and performs melee attack > Repeat untill enemy is dead. 

You can dash from target to target like that.   And its easier to perform than what You suggested.  

Basically, its Archwing melee. Have you played Archwing? If yes, then you know how it works.  It works well.

3 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I understand what you mean, but this will not work.  Really.

I will try to explain in a very simple way :

Jump up > Aim at enemy > Press melee button > Your character dashes towards enemy and performs melee attack > Repeat untill enemy is dead. 

You can dash from target to target like that.   And its easier to perform than what You suggested.  

Basically, its Archwing melee. Have you played Archwing? If yes, then you know how it works.  It works well.

I don't understand why this won't work, this worked for me for at least 2 years.

Your suggestion though would oversimplify it too much imo. But i guess the current difficulty of air melee is why it's not used that often in the first place... So, while i like my suggestion more (mostly because of the remaining "difficulty" and providing freedom of actions in the air), it probably won't change anything for players that just enjoy running & spamming E (maybe while eventually spamming Ctrl), while yours would probably make more people start using it.

Or they could do this:

Normal melee attacks while in air will always result in normal mid-air combos, no matter the camera direction. This attacks will always stop your jump momentum, basically keeping you in place and opening a chance to land a full aerial combo. If this attacks connect to an enemy your warframe will remain airborne for 1 sec, and double jump/bullet jump will be refreshed.

Heavy attacks while in air:

-If facing forward they will be the normal lunge-forward attack that we all know and what it's currently in the game, keeping the jump momentum.

-If facing downwards it will perform the ground slam.

mostly because of the remaining "difficulty" and providing freedom of actions in the air

In my opinion, Difficulty should never come from bad control scheme.   Character control must be tight and simple.    Difficulty should ONLY come from level design and enemies, their attack patterns and other gameplay features.

I dont "oversimplify" it.   Players run around spamming "E" because that works.  If enemies were smart and could counter this "Spam", it would be different. 

Simple example :  Dark souls.  Does this game has difficult controls? No, controls are super simple.   Is ts hard?  Yes.   Why? Because enemies are hard.

I will say it again....Difficult control scheme =/= difficulty.  It just makes your hands hurt.   Difficulty comes from enemy AI and their combat abilities.

11 minutes ago, (PS4)DidacoJack said:

Or they could do this:

Normal melee attacks while in air will always result in normal mid-air combos, no matter the camera direction. This attacks will always stop your jump momentum, basically keeping you in place and opening a chance to land a full aerial combo. If this attacks connect to an enemy your warframe will remain airborne for 1 sec, and double jump/bullet jump will be refreshed.

Heavy attacks while in air:

-If facing forward they will be the normal lunge-forward attack that we all know and what it's currently in the game, keeping the jump momentum.

-If facing downwards it will perform the ground slam.

Yep. Thats much better.    Actually, this is the best one....... Just dont forget that Heavy attack in the air triggers "directional slam". With melee 3.0 we get 2 slams. One directional and one standart "downward".

Other than that is perfect.

Momentum brake - check

Multiple attacks while hovering near target - check

Can look anywhere without triggering slam - check

Extra air mobility when dealing with airborne enemies - check.

Simple controls - check. 

Good stuff.