Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Vauban The Engineer (Upgrade ideas!)

Blacque

It's been a while since I've posted so I'll keep it concise and to the point with the hopes that maybe, it'll garner more attention if there's more detail and less jokes.

Vauban has been in an unusual place for quite some time.  With the increasing power gap between newer Warframes and the older guard I and a few members of my clan have been cooking up theories and suggestions on how to improve one of the most unique, old members of the Warframe cast.  If this particular post garners enough attention I'll be putting in the effort to create more posts detailing other suggestions.  Again the hope is to create discussion, flesh out ideas and concepts for old, beloved frames and maybe see some changes.

Vauban: Armor values, are always a big suggestion for our Engineer frame.  With that in mind I'm interested in capitalizing on the theme of engineer by making him a bit more tanky.  The armor gain was nice but not really substantial and his passive is not adequate given the high octane pacing of the game.  I won't put hard values down now, since the skill sets may be adequate at controlling the environment enough to allow his armor to remain the same.  His passive though is proposed as following:

Passive: Vauban and allies do 25% extra damage to enemies that are effected by Vauban's abilities.

Ability:

#1 :Omni-Coil:  Keeping in the theme of an easy fast-cast deploy ability, and capitalizing on DE's new function of the item wheels (See his current #2).  Omni-Coil provides a selection of the four base elements.  Cold, Electric, Fire, Toxin.  With a press the Coil is lobbed out and homes in within X meters to the nearest enemy or (enemies) and provides a status proc of the chosen element at X percent.

#2: Architect: This ability is the lynch pin (hopefully) of the kit and signifies Vauban's brilliance as an engineer Warframe.  Vauban can create a standard turrets that the ammo type can be swapped on, much like the Omni-coil.  The turrets can be maintained, (healed) per cast of his other abilities or an interactive function.  Whether or not other Warframes can utilize them, is up for debate. The key however is synergy.  With the swapping of munitions Vauban can have an Ice Turret firing on targets that are effected by Fire Omni-coils, and create Blast procs, allowing for a more aggressive form of crowd control.  If the turret strikes a target of matching damage types Fire/Fire the damage is increased by X and status proc is 100%.

Secondary Thought: Allowing Vauban to adjust turret creation based on environment.  Orokin tileset would create sleek orokin styled turrets, infested would be bone sinew and bone spewing, Grineer would be chemical throwers etc, but this idea is not as fleshed out as the former.  I do love it however!

#3:  Bastille:  Bastille is fine, but to keep things moving, we're making it an activated aura with a decrease to radius.  The Bastille aura travels with Vauban, widening if he hunkers down for x seconds and shrinking when in motion.  Enemies caught in it are dragged and turrets automatically seek them out as easy targets, doing X% more damage to them, combined with Omni-Tesla for keks... er kills.  Enemies outside of Bastile see a drop in their accuracy when firing in.

#4: Vortex:  Vauban unleashes The Cube from Hellraiser

Sorry I can't help myself, I love this game and I have problems.  So Vortex unleashes a black hole of all consuming awesome that sucks in not only enemies but enemy fire, ally fire, omni-coils, and the kitchen sink, amplifying all incoming goodies by X%.  Upon the completion of the black holes vast sucking, it detonates releasing X% of damage and health/energy (whichever I don't actually care,) orbs because obviously things that come out from the event horizon are better off.  Movies teach us this.

So that is the very rough concept.  As always critique and comments are always welcome. PLEASE help me flesh this out!  I want DE to make Vauban amazing.  I'll work on other ideas, perhaps repost my Ember idea and see if we can't get some traction.  If there are any suggestion on how to get these ideas out in the open please drop suggestions! 

Thanks!

In essence, a combination of a couple of Mass Effect classes... I like it. The 1 should remain a trap grenade, though... just make it do more damage and give it a bit more range. This way Vauban could create multi element danger zones that synergize with each other AND his turrets, and voila: The tower defense frame! 😉

1 minute ago, WarBaby2 said:

In essence, a combination of a couple of Mass Effect classes... I like it. The 1 should remain a trap grenade, though... just make it do more damage and give it a bit more range. This way Vauban could create multi element danger zones that synergize with each other AND his turrets, and voila: The tower defense frame! 😉

I never played Mass Effect but neat!  The trap grenade execution I have no problem with but I notice that stationary abilities in this game get very limited play.  What would you think about splitting the difference and making it something that could be stationary.  If you cast it on the wall, or ground it remains there as the trap of the chosen element?  Then if you target an enemy it homes and latches.  Much like the current situation, though I think more pull for the homing would be nice. If you like the idea, please, please, spread the word.  I really love Vauban's theme but think DE kind of missed a lot of opportunities to really let this frame rock.

Just now, Blacque said:

I never played Mass Effect but neat!  The trap grenade execution I have no problem with but I notice that stationary abilities in this game get very limited play.  What would you think about splitting the difference and making it something that could be stationary.  If you cast it on the wall, or ground it remains there as the trap of the chosen element?  Then if you target an enemy it homes and latches.  Much like the current situation, though I think more pull for the homing would be nice. If you like the idea, please, please, spread the word.  I really love Vauban's theme but think DE kind of missed a lot of opportunities to really let this frame rock.

I guess that would work too... sure thing, I love the idea of Vauban but stopped using him some time ago, since he's only really usable in defense scenarios, and there he isn't the best frame, but honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath, personally... DE seams to be done with him for the time being, especially with all the other things they have on their plate right now.

Well the idea is to get a megathread going and to hopefully catch the attention of someone who can really shine some light on the ideas.  I'd love to discuss the ideas with a lot of people and maybe it could grab DE's attention.  Like I said, every little bit of attention helps.  So your post is very much appreciated.

4 hours ago, WarBaby2 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, personally... DE seams to be done with him for the time being, especially with all the other things they have on their plate right now. 

This is the feeling that I got from the latest DevStream unfortunately.  Its disappointing because their latest round of changes for Vauban ranged from meh to flat out bad. 

3 hours ago, (PS4)big_eviljak said:

I really think Vauban dmg output is great now. What he needs more than anything is survivability. 

Would be a much needed addendum if his 2nd ability would allow for some level of healing and his health and shields were a bit higher.

True... I mean, the bounce trap is fun and all, but a healing pulse grenade would make more sense.

Also, with the latest rework: I don't quite get why DE is suddenly in love with those chargeable skills. They are quite a clunky mechanic...

4 hours ago, WarBaby2 said:

True... I mean, the bounce trap is fun and all, but a healing pulse grenade would make more sense.

Also, with the latest rework: I don't quite get why DE is suddenly in love with those chargeable skills. They are quite a clunky mechanic...

I agree, their so slow. I still dont understand why we cant just get the full power of those type of abilities through modding. Hydroid is still crying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-10-24 at 3:33 PM, Fil089 said:

While I think this is a nice way to change his abilities, that's also pulling him a bit too far in my opinion. Isn't there a way to tweak him just enough so Bastille and Vortex don't seem to be the only viable abilities?

Can you elaborate on how it's going too far?  Always welcome for feedback!  This was just an idea that I personally would love to see and thought it would compliment the 'engineer' aspect of the frame better than simply tossing out grenades.  More ideas are always appreciate.  Tying the abilities together so that they work in conjunction or compliment his 3 and 4 would be optimal in my opinion.

Am 23.10.2018 um 10:57 schrieb WarBaby2:

I agree to both .. a healing pulse granade would absolutely fit his style. And chargeable skills .. dont like them especially because i'm on xbox and play with a controller and thats not really comfortable how it works there.

On 2018-10-23 at 7:57 PM, WarBaby2 said:

Fun is the most important part! I'd rather see concuss or shred go they're status effects at best. Trip wire and bounce are much more entertaining and if your so attached to those status effects just give it to them. The only problem with bounce is it effects players 

The chargeable for Tesla I think is actually a good idea people keep saying they want a turret and all I can say is "what do you think Tesla is?". Personally I'd have preferred multi shot Tesla to a single stronger one because it would have worked great with the augment and the common use of stacking Tesla on a friend. Multi shot is also the only thing that would make shred or concuss savable to me but still you only need one basic arse grenade not 2.