Why do is there a host? Make it distributed.

(PSN)wulvyrn

I've used software in the past in a mesh configuration i.e. there is no server or host server.  Each node ( not client) has a copy of the database.  I'm not sure how this would scale, maybe to 8 or more.  Each Warframe client could be a node and therefore allow more than four players in open areas.

This could also be applied to older missions, eliminating the host migration pita.  And yes. I'm aware it would require alot of coding work.  It is also beyond my current skill level at this point.

That doesn't work for this game and I don't know how that would work with any MMO type game.

There has to be an authority. DE delegates that to the Host, and the squad coordinates with the Host and then the Host coordinates with DE. Every player cannot be the authoritative state of the game so you'd end up with every single client acting as Host and talking with DE. This would require dedicated servers. There's been nothing to indicate this can/would ever happen.

This wouldn't fix host migrations, just move the pieces around.

so basically everyone is the host, which I am sure has a lot of issues when joining a session, but also will ensure a lot of hillarity when one player lags and the other three can't agree what to do with his information, but it has equal value to the whole...

considering how much of a code nerd Steve is, if this was feasable I am almost 100% sure he would have done it already.

Since this isn't possible, perhaps users can host dedicated servers.  Unreal tournament and Neverwinter nights are two examples, and there maybe many more.  Just provide a host to talk to de to remove those host migration issues.

Servers could also be clan based as an idea.

I'm just trying to think out of the box to remove host migration issues.

They need to do something about this. I just played for an hour. The host died and then his internet cut out. The group disbanded, and we had farmed over 50 cores. Lost everything. There needs to be some way to not lose everything just because the host leaves, especially if I'm trusting a random person I don't know. I shouldn't suffer because the game picked a random person in our group to "lead" the team. Plus people don't know about the host or when THEY are the host to know the game hinges on their activity.

19 hours ago, (PS4)Puddle_Foot said:

They need to do something about this. I just played for an hour. The host died and then his internet cut out. The group disbanded, and we had farmed over 50 cores. Lost everything. There needs to be some way to not lose everything just because the host leaves, especially if I'm trusting a random person I don't know. I shouldn't suffer because the game picked a random person in our group to "lead" the team. Plus people don't know about the host or when THEY are the host to know the game hinges on their activity.

I've mentioned this before, but just add a 'checkpoint' to the inventory at certain intervals that gets sent to DE's servers, if you drop, you still keep the rewards up until you dropped.

There is literally no downside to that.

On 2018-10-24 at 10:14 AM, peterc3 said:

That doesn't work for this game and I don't know how that would work with any MMO type game.

There has to be an authority. DE delegates that to the Host, and the squad coordinates with the Host and then the Host coordinates with DE. Every player cannot be the authoritative state of the game so you'd end up with every single client acting as Host and talking with DE. This would require dedicated servers. There's been nothing to indicate this can/would ever happen.

This wouldn't fix host migrations, just move the pieces around.

The problem is consistency across the mesh in near real time. Two different hosts would rng different for all damage RNG, with nothing being authoritative. Add in network delays  squad size squared.

just no.

jDE has server based locations in the relays, dojos and towns, but no combat in them.