Wasted time on Cetus

VirginiaBear

Venting post incoming.

Hey DE devs, although host migration errors are bound to happen, I just encountered one that had me rage quitting a session. I was on the Plains of Eidolon doing a eidolon hunt. The squad i had with me was doing rather well. We had all four joints on the terralyst down and was going in for kill.  Alert of sunrise began and all of a sudden, host migration in progress appeared on screen, followed by Host Migration failed.  Lost the last 30 minutes of progress, and all pickups. Not cool DE.  So frustrated and upset will probably need a day or two to cool off from this.

My question is to the DE Devs: What systems do you have in place to monitor and mitigate host migration errors? Losing a huge chunk of time invested with no payout (IE pickups, including crafting pieces, blueprints, etc.) A simple sorry to the players is just not good enough.

1 minute ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

This happened to all of us, get used to it or you won't survive

^ Pretty much this

It's a problem, it's well known, everyone's been there. It should be solved, but since after so much time it still hasn't I wonder if DE has even come up with a good way to replace it. I mean a "good way" because when and if they replace that system, it'll have to be for something better for sure. Replacing a problem for another and spending vaulable resources on it would be ludicrous, so we must hang on...

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

^ Pretty much this

It's a problem, it's well known, everyone's been there. It should be solved, but since after so much time it still hasn't I wonder if DE has even come up with a good way to replace it. I mean a "good way" because when and if they replace that system, it'll have to be for something better for sure. Replacing a problem for another and spending vaulable resources on it would be ludicrous, so we must hang on...

Is there a way to make everyone the host? Sounds like a child's dream.

Just now, (XB1)oOJeshuanOo said:

Is there a way to make everyone the host? Sounds like a child's dream.

I guess so... Maybe... I don't really understand the whole "hosts and servers" topic enough to provide a solid opinion on it, let alone coming up with a valid suggestion. All I know is that several games do with without major problems, and each game has a system that's a bit different. I guess it's different from game to game due to each game's matchmaking requirements/needs, so that may be why Warframe still hasn't fixed this issue. And we're talking about pc here, I don't know what solution DE could come up with for pc that could also be applied to consoles. And even then there's the big chiefs Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to even let it be a thing, if it includes tinkering with their stuff.

as much as we'd like 100% reliable connection at all times on P2P, it's just not possible. this is why I've never been a fan of Online only as a concept, and why all games should have a single player mode of some description. online only is just a bad idea. we'd need some SERIOUS technological advances to reach a point where disconnects are less of a thing, and in some form or another they will always be a thing. 

perhaps the flawless internet connection is like World Peace; an unattainable dream that gives us a momentary mental image of a wonderful Utopia, before remembering this is the real world we live in, and some people have internet connection that is about as robust as a wet noodle.

On 2018-10-24 at 5:06 PM, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

I guess so... Maybe... I don't really understand the whole "hosts and servers" topic enough to provide a solid opinion on it, let alone coming up with a valid suggestion. All I know is that several games do with without major problems, and each game has a system that's a bit different. I guess it's different from game to game due to each game's matchmaking requirements/needs, so that may be why Warframe still hasn't fixed this issue. And we're talking about pc here, I don't know what solution DE could come up with for pc that could also be applied to consoles. And even then there's the big chiefs Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to even let it be a thing, if it includes tinkering with their stuff.

The host is the one who streams all of the game's data for the squad. It would be easier if all members did this. E.g. : The Bus is the game, the bus driver is the host, and the passengers are the squad members.

Edited by (XB1)oOJeshuanOo

29 minutes ago, (XB1)Cubic Clem said:

Yeah sure, this argument will bring the game further.

It's not a problem the devs can fix just like that, otherwise, it would've already been fixed

& if you want to compare our arguments, what about yours? "consider posting in the feedback tab", true, no one thought of doing this before

This issue has been here for years now, if you think you have an idea how to fix it, tell us

On 2018-10-24 at 7:29 PM, Zilchy said:

Why did the teralyst take until sunrise?

12 minutes ago, (XB1)motionROTATION said:

Warframe once kicked me out of the game after we’d killed Hydro and collected the rewards as I was running back to Cetus. Logging in got me nothing. That was my waste of time. 

Were you doing a bounty before hand? Not even killing Terry doesn’t qualify for a waste of you never even picked anything up

As much as I wanted to be this guy, it is fair to be upset about losing something you've worked hard for. Sure to us longstanding players, a Teralyst is a soloable activity that takes 5 minutes. But to a newer player, that would really suck. Or like a new Tenno who, after dozens of hours, got his first Serration/Hornet Strike, but lost to a migration. That is huge, even though to most, we've hit the points where they are garbage to us.

Unfortunately peer to peer will never be perfect. And it's not something warframe can afford to change anytime soon. Just gotta pick your head up and run it again. You'll get there OP 🙂

46 minutes ago, Azlen said:

As much as I wanted to be this guy, it is fair to be upset about losing something you've worked hard for. Sure to us longstanding players, a Teralyst is a soloable activity that takes 5 minutes. But to a newer player, that would really suck. Or like a new Tenno who, after dozens of hours, got his first Serration/Hornet Strike, but lost to a migration. That is huge, even though to most, we've hit the points where they are garbage to us.

Unfortunately peer to peer will never be perfect. And it's not something warframe can afford to change anytime soon. Just gotta pick your head up and run it again. You'll get there OP 🙂

No I get that Terry isn’t easy for everyone I wasn’t trying to insinuate that. But if Terry is all ones been doing for 30!minutes and he’s not even dead, the only thing picked up are cores and the random resource as you bullet jump past it?

If it’s his first, he actually did get something valuable: experience against the mechanics. And while he may have missed an in game reward, he’ll have that forever

Comparing to other games is pointless unless they also are p2p. Most mmos or online games that aren't shooters use servers. 

Each person being host must have been suggested by someone who has no understanding of p2p. 

However what they can try is updating server when a host leaves rather than only when you leave mission. 

Just think of it as an extra dimension to the grind...maybe it won't seem so bad then.

As someone already said, it happens to everyone eventually, if they play long enough. Sure its annoying when it happens...all you can do is take a deep breath, count to 10 and have another go the next day (better to do that than dive right back in when you're still angry).